Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Nov 22, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #1,426 of 5,364
We don't have much info on GR07 bass edition. Only a handful of members have tried them, those who did hadn't heard the regular MK2. If you want my advice, I'd go for the MK2, which is adored here by many people proven itself time and time again. Go for what's been proven already.

Nov 22, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #1,427 of 5,364
They are real nice for the money for sure and it is true, they do fold nicely for portability. Might as well.
Besides, you have already made the mistake of joining head-fi, so you WILL buy more :D

I'm sure you've read the S500 thread. I've got them, and they really are great. The sound signature became perfect for me when I also got the ath pleather pads ($13) to go along with them. That's part of the fun with them though - there are so many easy mods that can be made with them that change the sound quite a bit.

Yeah, they're my "first" headphone. I'll get them by now, but in the future, FOR SURE, I'll buy a few others ! :wink:

WAYNENUMM, which pads you're talking about ?

I have two questions if you can help me here: should I go for "default" Pink noise Burn-In ? And what can I do to improve my headphone experience (talking about pads and customization, I've heard something about it) ?

Thank you SO MUCH guys !

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #1,428 of 5,364
Thanks All for your suggestions(Specially H20Fidelity and TwinQY
smile.gif
),

I am almost ordering 'GR07 MK2'. Just to convince myself - wanted know how ‘GR07 MK2’ Competes with ‘Hifiman RE 262’ for Indian light, Classical, pop kind of music ?

Thanks,
Kiran 

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #1,429 of 5,364
Hello all,

Decided to jump into a higher realm of music appreciation and have been reading posts on here like mad. Everyone has great suggestions, but I'm completely lost amidst a haze of terms and prices. I travel a lot, so what I'm looking for is:

Price: <= $300 (maaaybe $400 if compelling reason)
Music Style: Classical - I'd like something that will let me hear all the voices in a symphony clearly and with full energy. This is my reason for getting higher quality headphones.
Sound Leakage: Can't leak much, blocking ambient noise is a big plus. On a train or plane (or in a busy office) listening to quality sound.
Kind: Portable, but I wouldn't mind over the ear as opposed to in ear. Most of the good over the ears I've seen recommended for classical (e.g. HD600) are open - which would probably leak too much.
Amp: Never even thought about it. From reading posts here, I know it'd make a big difference, but it'd have to be easily portable. I'd like something that works very well without an amp, and then slowly move into getting amps over time.

This is my first post, my first step into the audiophile world, and while I try to contribute on forums before making requests, I really don't know enough yet to have anything much to say.
I love classical music (attend symphonies / concerts all the time) and I'd like to hear the sound in the best way possible.

-Thanks!

Nov 22, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #1,430 of 5,364
Looking for a new pair of headphones (Portable, not IEM, but full size is okay too)

Looking for one that is extremely bassy, I mainly listen to dubstep, glitch, and DnB. Im currently not really satisfied with my sennheiser HD 439's.

Looking between the 150-200 dollar range and hopefully get a good deal when it drops to something below 100$ during black friday or cyber monday.

I've been hearing some good things about crossfade's M80s, but I'm not sure what to believe anymore since I was told Koss DJ100's were supposed to be bassy, but they didn't feel bassy at all.

Nov 22, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #1,431 of 5,364
Looking for some advice.

Currently using some Westone UM1's with Shure Black Olive tips.  The problem I am having with it is that the headphone jack's bototm diameter is really big and never seems to fit on my cell phones with protective cases (the jack won't fit into the case).  Aside from cutting the case or cutting the headphone jack I've been contemplating picking up something cheap just to use with my phone.  I use a ZuneHD for music listening.  My phone is really only used for podcasts, and listening to movies and playing games.  Since this headset will be used with my phone I might as well get something with a built in Mic.  I travel quite a bit for work so these are mainly used on airplanes so comfort and isolation are my two biggest concerns.  To sum it up I'm looking for something (in no particular order):

1. Inexpensive.  I don't have a budget but the cheaper the better.  Lets say $50 max but would prefer to spend less.
2. Performance for clear voice dialog is prefer, don't need anything musical or bass heavy
3. Good isolation
4. Long term comfort for extended flights
5. Built in Mic with an answer button, Samsung Galaxy Note II compatible
6. Prefer to wear over the ear.
7. If they can fit Shure Black Olives I have a ton of those already and know I love them :)

Would appreciate any feedback on some models I should look at.  The MEE M6P-BK looked promising.  I read lots of good stuff about the MH1C but I'm not sure I will like the cable or if I could wear them over the ear.  Thoughts?

Nov 22, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #1,432 of 5,364
Quote:
Looking for some advice.

Currently using some Westone UM1's with Shure Black Olive tips.  The problem I am having with it is that the headphone jack's bototm diameter is really big and never seems to fit on my cell phones with protective cases (the jack won't fit into the case).  Aside from cutting the case or cutting the headphone jack I've been contemplating picking up something cheap just to use with my phone.  I use a ZuneHD for music listening.  My phone is really only used for podcasts, and listening to movies and playing games.  Since this headset will be used with my phone I might as well get something with a built in Mic.  I travel quite a bit for work so these are mainly used on airplanes so comfort and isolation are my two biggest concerns.  To sum it up I'm looking for something (in no particular order):

1. Inexpensive.  I don't have a budget but the cheaper the better.  Lets say $50 max but would prefer to spend less.
2. Performance for clear voice dialog is prefer, don't need anything musical or bass heavy
3. Good isolation
4. Long term comfort for extended flights
5. Built in Mic with an answer button, Samsung Galaxy Note II compatible
6. Prefer to wear over the ear.
7. If they can fit Shure Black Olives I have a ton of those already and know I love them :)

Would appreciate any feedback on some models I should look at.  The MEE M6P-BK looked promising.  I read lots of good stuff about the MH1C but I'm not sure I will like the cable or if I could wear them over the ear.  Thoughts?

MH1C might be not the best idea if you want clear vocals (a bit warmed over and thick, sounds good for music though), or to wear them over-ear. I'd stick with the M6. One of the best for over-ear wearing at that price, Olives don't fit though unless you decore them, but most people seem to prefer them anyways. Isolation and comfort are decent. Overall, one of the better staple IEMs at that price.

Quote:
Hello all,

Decided to jump into a higher realm of music appreciation and have been reading posts on here like mad. Everyone has great suggestions, but I'm completely lost amidst a haze of terms and prices. I travel a lot, so what I'm looking for is:

Price: <= $300 (maaaybe $400 if compelling reason)
Music Style: Classical - I'd like something that will let me hear all the voices in a symphony clearly and with full energy. This is my reason for getting higher quality headphones.
Sound Leakage: Can't leak much, blocking ambient noise is a big plus. On a train or plane (or in a busy office) listening to quality sound.
Kind: Portable, but I wouldn't mind over the ear as opposed to in ear. Most of the good over the ears I've seen recommended for classical (e.g. HD600) are open - which would probably leak too much.
Amp: Never even thought about it. From reading posts here, I know it'd make a big difference, but it'd have to be easily portable. I'd like something that works very well without an amp, and then slowly move into getting amps over time.

This is my first post, my first step into the audiophile world, and while I try to contribute on forums before making requests, I really don't know enough yet to have anything much to say.
I love classical music (attend symphonies / concerts all the time) and I'd like to hear the sound in the best way possible.

-Thanks!

W4s seem like your ticket. My favourite IEM for classical (the EX1000 would be tied, but the fit and sound leaking from the outside turns me off). I'd describe the sound signature to be almost HD650 like, but with slightly more upper bass, less upper midrange. Closed BA unit, isolation with bi-flanges and Olives are very, very good. Can't imagine how much better they'd get with custom silicone tips. Also pretty sensitive (I get decent low-level volumes 1 notch from the minimum on an iPod Touch, 4-5 if I'm in a really loud environment), so amps aren't very necessary. The pairing with the Arrow 4G or the E11 gets them to be a little better, but not worth it IMO.

Quote:
Looking for a new pair of headphones (Portable, not IEM, but full size is okay too)

Looking for one that is extremely bassy, I mainly listen to dubstep, glitch, and DnB. Im currently not really satisfied with my sennheiser HD 439's.

Looking between the 150-200 dollar range and hopefully get a good deal when it drops to something below 100$ during black friday or cyber monday.

I've been hearing some good things about crossfade's M80s, but I'm not sure what to believe anymore since I was told Koss DJ100's were supposed to be bassy, but they didn't feel bassy at all.

The M80s won't be bassy for you if the DJ100 isn't. Try the LP2, they're supposed to be the bassy ones out of the V-Moda lineup. Over-ear, but pretty portable. If the M100 go on sale on Black Friday (not very likely, but I can dream, can't I?), I would personally get that. Seems to be a very good basshead can. 

If the HD439 doesn't satisfy with bass, try the bass mod out. Orginally for the HD4*8 lineup, but not much has changed in terms of housing and build, so try it out.

Nov 22, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #1,433 of 5,364
Quote:

The M80s won't be bassy for you if the DJ100 isn't. Try the LP2, they're supposed to be the bassy ones out of the V-Moda lineup. Over-ear, but pretty portable. If the M100 go on sale on Black Friday (not very likely, but I can dream, can't I?), I would personally get that. Seems to be a very good basshead can. 

If the HD439 doesn't satisfy with bass, try the bass mod out. Orginally for the HD4*8 lineup, but not much has changed in terms of housing and build, so try it out.

I was going to try the mod, but i really don't want to break the headphones, which I feel like I would have if I tried.

How do creative Aurvana or Citiscape uptown's compare in terms of bass?

Nov 22, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #1,434 of 5,364
Quote:
I was going to try the mod, but i really don't want to break the headphones, which I feel like I would have if I tried.

How do creative Aurvana or Citiscape uptown's compare in terms of bass?

The mod is surprisingly easily. There won't really be an opportunity to break them when doing it. The earpads snap on and off pretty easily. All you really need is a screwdriver to undo the driver mounting and poke some holes in the tape on the back. Even an motor-impaired person like me could do it, so I'm sure anyone can!

From what I remember, the Uptowns and CAL!s have pretty similar levels of bass compared against the M80. None of them are really emphasized. Go look at the graphs for each on Innerfidelity to get a general idea of quantity.

Creative Aurvana Live!
V-Moda M80

Nov 22, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #1,435 of 5,364
Quote:
Frequency response figures don't really matter, not like most people can hear properly above 18kHz. Still confused on whether you want IEMs or cans. If you're in the Vancouver area, check out Headphone Bar. If you're in Montreal...oh boy. The other provinces don't matter to me 
tongue.gif
. Canadacomputers can be a bit too overpriced for headphones, but if you find a sale, that'd be pretty decent. 
For IEMs, try the PFE022, has a mic, good for all genres, extremely balanced. For full-sized, the Downtowns (Winners has them at times) have mic/remote, good sound, and are right under your budg

Ah, sorry.  I knew the default avatar would mess people up.  Cans, cans.  Fullsized cans.  As for location, I'm in Ottawa. A little far from Montreal unfortunately - about two hours and I've got no car.

I didn't think FR mattered all too much given exactly what you just said, but I figured it'd be a best to make sure.  If most people can't hear properly above 18, what is the purpose of your 22s or your 28s and the like?  Aside, would it be better to buy something like the Downtowns that have everything included, or would it make more sense to buy headphones exclusively dedicated to music while I buy the mic separate? It can certainly be afforded - it's not like I need a phenomenal mic.

As for Canco, yeah they can certainly be overpriced but I only shop there when they have deals...which is quite frequent, hence why I enjoy popping in every now and then. I may go tomorrow to see what they have, given it's black friday.

Nov 22, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #1,436 of 5,364
Quote:
The mod is surprisingly easily. There won't really be an opportunity to break them when doing it. The earpads snap on and off pretty easily. All you really need is a screwdriver to undo the driver mounting and poke some holes in the tape on the back. Even an motor-impaired person like me could do it, so I'm sure anyone can!

From what I remember, the Uptowns and CAL!s have pretty similar levels of bass compared against the M80. None of them are really emphasized. Go look at the graphs for each on Innerfidelity to get a general idea of quantity.

Creative Aurvana Live!
V-Moda M80

I'm attempting to do the mod now, but when I remove the ear cushions, should I be feeling something hard and solid instead of just the cushion itself when I lift it up? It feels like the cusion would tear if I pull hard enough.

Nov 22, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #1,437 of 5,364
Quote:
Ah, sorry.  I knew the default avatar would mess people up.  Cans, cans.  Fullsized cans.  As for location, I'm in Ottawa. A little far from Montreal unfortunately - about two hours and I've got no car.

I didn't think FR mattered all too much given exactly what you just said, but I figured it'd be a best to make sure.  If most people can't hear properly above 18, what is the purpose of your 22s or your 28s and the like?  Aside, would it be better to buy something like the Downtowns that have everything included, or would it make more sense to buy headphones exclusively dedicated to music while I buy the mic separate? It can certainly be afforded - it's not like I need a phenomenal mic.

As for Canco, yeah they can certainly be overpriced but I only shop there when they have deals...which is quite frequent, hence why I enjoy popping in every now and then. I may go tomorrow to see what they have, given it's black friday.

Yeah, the whole FR up to 28k and the likes, really just advertising.

If you could do the separate mic thing, that'd be pretty cool. Opens you up to a whole new playing field of cans. What was your budget again (Sorry, I forgot)?

Quote:
I'm attempting to do the mod now, but when I remove the ear cushions, should I be feeling something hard and solid instead of just the cushion itself when I lift it up? It feels like the cusion would tear if I pull hard enough.

Feel for a hard plastic edge under the inside of the pad. Pull on that, not the pads themselves. It takes a little more force than getting used to, but it'd be really hard to break the cans from that. 

Nov 22, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #1,438 of 5,364

Quote:

W4s seem like your ticket. My favourite IEM for classical (the EX1000 would be tied, but the fit and sound leaking from the outside turns me off). I'd describe the sound signature to be almost HD650 like, but with slightly more upper bass, less upper midrange. Closed BA unit, isolation with bi-flanges and Olives are very, very good. Can't imagine how much better they'd get with custom silicone tips. Also pretty sensitive (I get decent low-level volumes 1 notch from the minimum on an iPod Touch, 4-5 if I'm in a really loud environment), so amps aren't very necessary. The pairing with the Arrow 4G or the E11 gets them to be a little better, but not worth it IMO.

Thanks, I'll check 'em out. Could you recommend any particular kind of bi-flanges / tips (I hardly know what I'm referring to here)? I noticed in the W4 appreciation thread that Doc-Holliday mentioned $2 tips from a site in china? Basically, if I don't have anything yet, what would be the best thing to buy/mod for the best sound?

Thanks again!

Nov 22, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #1,439 of 5,364
Thanks, I'll check 'em out. Could you recommend any particular kind of bi-flanges / tips (I hardly know what I'm referring to here)? I noticed in the W4 appreciation thread that Doc-Holliday mentioned $2 tips from a site in china? Basically, if I don't have anything yet, what would be the best thing to buy/mod for the best sound?

Thanks again!

Those tips are from buyincoins.com.

Look at the link in my sig to find the step by step to make the adapter to use tips like those.

Nov 22, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #1,440 of 5,364
Quote:

Thanks again!

The buyincoins biflanges? Yeah, I got them under Doc's recommendation as well. Great isolation, great sound as well. I either use those or the Sony Hybrids modded with the olive core. There's also the new Epic Tips that Westone has. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back