Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Nov 21, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #1,396 of 5,364
Newbie here. Well, Am upgrading from my Soundmagic E30. listen to metal and prog rock and find the E30 to be lacking. Dosent make me headbang :frowning2: Hope to have more kick in the guitar riffs. 

is that because of lack of mids or bass? kindly answer.

My budget is around 100$. Jus saw the the discounted Brainwavz B2 - 109$ v/s Rockit- R50 118$.

I have been recommended the Rockit R-50 by many. did not find any comparisons with the B2. Any diff in sound sig between the two? Which will be more suited for Opeth and Floyd ?

is the discounted B2 great value ?

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Nov 21, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #1,397 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi All,

I am planning to buy a new IEM for my iPod Nano(3rd Gen) and Sansa Clip+. I owned Bose IE2 and was not very impressed with the sound !
Here are the details
  1. I listen to more of Light music, Indian and light Pop.(Will like crisp bass in these)
  2. Good over all sound quality
  3. I will use earphones for running as well (I likes Bose IE2 for their comfort fit)
  4. Durability (Bose IE2s were durable!)
  5. Don't need any Controls, Microphones etc.
  1. Budget : 90$ - 210$

Help is much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
Kiran

Quote:

GR07 = crisp bass. Some of the most natural I've heard. Durable as heck.

Thanks For the suggestion !

After some reading, I am also narrowing down towards GR07. I have two questions here
  1. Should I buy GR07 MK2 or GR07 Bass ?
  1. How light Vocals sound in GR07 ?

Thanks,
Kiran

Nov 21, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #1,398 of 5,364
Hey guys I'm looking to grab @ new set of iems for the gym. I've typically been using UE super fis
, pheonak pfes or the zune buds. would like to find something with 2 things in mind. #1 good clean bass, #2 good non tangling cables. Budget is about 100, or possible trade for my pair of mint Paradigm Studio 20s v2. I realize that's potentially large variable in budget so fir now lets keep the budget around 100 and. assume that I wont find a trade.

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #1,399 of 5,364
If you're going for Philips, get the Uptowns. Great balance for rock and R&B (bass is enough on Rap for my tastes, depends on what you listen to). 

Something with a similar form factor would be the HA-S500/400. Doc would be more qualified to answer questions for those (seeing as I don't own them)

I liked how that JVC looks, but I'm from Brazil and it seems it doesn't sell at amazon. I've found a few at Ebay, so I think I'll keep it in the pocket, in case something better and easier to get doesn't show up.

Those Philips are a little bit out of what I'm thinking of spending by now and I'm looking for something portable :frowning2:

I've seen in the other guide thread that Sennheiser PX200 - II. It's something on what I'm looking forward to spend and it has good reviews too, as the other ones I've tagged in my last post.

What do you think ? Any other to look for ?

Somebody to help here too ??

Thanks again ! :wink:

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #1,400 of 5,364
my first post in this thread i was recommended the xb90's for my music taste, but its hard to find a solid source. is there anything with equal o rmore bass with quality mids/highs/lows for around the same price that would excel with a small amp?

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #1,401 of 5,364
Hi, newbie here looking to buy some new IEM since I broke another set.

Some info:

1. I mostly listen to hip-hop/rap.
  2. Budget $100
  3. Will use these in the gym, running, and cycling so they need to stay in my ear, be comfortable etc. 
  4. But at the same time I will use them for casual listing
  5. Need to be durable because I break way too many buds in the gym
  6. Some noise cancelation would be nice
  7. Controls/Mic that work with android a plus
  8. I'm not a huge audiophile, so I won't be able to tell the difference between most nice IEM's.

I was thinking about getting two sets, one for just working out and another for casual listing, but I will still need to fit both into the $100 budget.

I was thinking of buying them from amazon, and I don't mind getting them used to save money. 
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #1,402 of 5,364
I liked how that JVC looks, but I'm from Brazil and it seems it doesn't sell at amazon. I've found a few at Ebay, so I think I'll keep it in the pocket, in case something better and easier to get doesn't show up.
Those Philips are a little bit out of what I'm thinking of spending by now and I'm looking for something portable :frowning2:
I've seen in the other guide thread that Sennheiser PX200 - II. It's something on what I'm looking forward to spend and it has good reviews too, as the other ones I've tagged in my last post.
What do you think ? Any other to look for ?
Somebody to help here too ??
Thanks again ! :wink:

The JVC S400 is about as good of a portable as you can find out there for $20 to $25. I have never heard another headphone as good in that price range. I have heard worse that cost much more however.

The JVC S500 is an import from Japan so i am sure you can get it in your country. It will cost you about $75 to import. I have no idea what brazilian customs is like.

The Philips Uptown has been available in the US for $65 including shipping for about 2 months now. It is worth looking for in your country on special.

The other headphone that you should consider is the on ear version of the Philips DOWNTOWN which has been $40 dollars in the US for as long as i have known about them from different sources. It seems like something mass produced enough that you might be able to locate in your region.

If you have read up on the Senny's and you like the reviews, there is no real need to repeat a review here.

All of the above minus the Senny's are in my thread here.

Each one of them has a link to another dedicated thread where you can read up on various reactions and impressions.

Good luck.

Nov 21, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #1,403 of 5,364
I'm looking new portables to substitute my Philips Downtowns. I like how they sound overall, but something in their sound just hits me in the face. I don't know how to describe it, but it feels like the instrument separation is rather poor or the sound gets muddy with faster tracks. Or both. And the highs are too shrill from time to time. I'm looking something comparable to the sound  quality of my HM5 and with a price tag of around 100e or less. I listen to pretty much every kind of music, mostly varieties of rock on the move. Isolation and comfort should be adequate at least. Earpads and smallish over-ears are fine, but I don't want the bulkiest and biggest headphones for aesthetic reasons.

What I've thought so far:

-Philips Uptown: should be a little upgrade, but what I've read the volume slide ruins the whole package. Also one can get these pretty cheap right now.

-M50: After all the hype I have this 'I wonder how those sound like' -feeling.

-JVC S500: seems pretty hard and expensive to get in Europe.

-Spending all my tax returns on V-Moda M-100/HD25/DT1350

Nov 21, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #1,404 of 5,364
I'm looking new portables to substitute my Philips Downtowns. I like how they sound overall, but something in their sound just hits me in the face. I don't know how to describe it, but it feels like the instrument separation is rather poor or the sound gets muddy with faster tracks. Or both. And the highs are too shrill from time to time. I'm looking something comparable to the sound  quality of my HM5 and with a price tag of around 100e or less. I listen to pretty much every kind of music, mostly varieties of rock on the move. Isolation and comfort should be adequate at least. Earpads and smallish over-ears are fine, but I don't want the bulkiest and biggest headphones for aesthetic reasons.

What I've thought so far:

-Philips Uptown: should be a little upgrade, but what I've read the volume slide ruins the whole package. Also one can get these pretty cheap right now.

-M50: After all the hype I have this 'I wonder how those sound like' -feeling.

-JVC S500: seems pretty hard and expensive to get in Europe.

-Spending all my tax returns on V-Moda M-100/HD25/DT1350

M50 is not a portable so scratch that one. Loooong cable.

S500 will wouldn't be much of an upgrade based on your description to what you already have. Same with the uptowns although I find their highs to be more laid back.

I would look into those DT1350's. If you like rock and you want fast, they will deliver. Not bright or shrill in the highs but detail retrieval is nice.

A full sized that could be used as a portable is the KRK KNS8400 which has a removable cable so it is versatile in that regard. A 1.5m length is available. It is very suitable for your music selection and highs are not fatiguing either.

Nov 21, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #1,405 of 5,364
[size=medium]Another “which cans for teen daughter” question…[/size]

[size=medium]My daughter is tired of crummy earbuds, and wants a set of real headphones.  She likes the V-Moda one friend has (does not know model, friend said >$200); she hates the Bose and Beats most kids have.  [/size]

[size=medium]Her self-imposed spending limit is $100 (she is trying to be frugal), but $150 is fine.  Things she (and I) are looking for:[/size]

[size=medium] - on-ear or over-ear[/size]
[size=medium]- some isolation, but not 100% (walking outdoors)[/size]
[size=medium] - sound quality is more important to her than style, as long as they don’t make her look like a total dork. She has grown up good stereo system at home[/size]
[size=medium] - she listens to a wide variety if genres; while she likes bass (she’s a kid), these cans will have to do Mozart and big band too[/size]
[size=medium] - should fold up for backpack/bookbag/purse.  [/size]
[size=medium] - durable, detachable cable is a must, she is simply brutal on cables.  A termination I could DIY would be great.  [/size]
[size=medium] - most use will be with iPhone or iPod, but I will build her a headamp (super-simple 6DJ8 hybrid DIY project).  [/size]

[size=medium]Anything meeting the above that’s a killer Black Friday deal would be great, too
smile.gif
[/size]

Nov 21, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #1,406 of 5,364
Another “which cans for teen daughter” question…

My daughter is tired of crummy earbuds, and wants a set of real headphones.  She likes the V-Moda one friend has (does not know model, friend said >$200); she hates the Bose and Beats most kids have. 

Her self-imposed spending limit is $100 (she is trying to be frugal), but $150 is fine.  Things she (and I) are looking for:

- on-ear or over-ear
- some isolation, but not 100% (walking outdoors)
 - sound quality is more important to her than style, as long as they don’t make her look like a total dork. She has grown up good stereo system at home
 - she listens to a wide variety if genres; while she likes bass (she’s a kid), these cans will have to do Mozart and big band too
 - should fold up for backpack/bookbag/purse. 
 - durable, detachable cable is a must, she is simply brutal on cables.  A termination I could DIY would be great. 
 - most use will be with iPhone or iPod, but I will build her a headamp (super-simple 6DJ8 hybrid DIY project). 

Anything meeting the above that’s a killer Black Friday deal would be great, too :smile:

The Vmoda M80 is a great sounding headphone is a small package and comes in a variety of colors. That is prolly the one she is referring to. I would recommend snatching a pair if you find them on sale over the coming weekend. Vmoda prides themselves in build and their kevlar reinforced detachable cables. Not the bassiest can in the world, but it sounds like she already has had a chance to audition them so should be a winner for you.

Honestly that JVC S400 sounds great that i mentioned above for the price of $25 dollars and comes in white and black. I mention it because it folds very nicely into a ball so to speak. Cable is not detachable but it is sturdy, if you break it, buy a new pair :D

Nov 21, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #1,407 of 5,364
Quote:
M50 is not a portable so scratch that one. Loooong cable.
S500 will wouldn't be much of an upgrade based on your description to what you already have. Same with the uptowns although I find their highs to be more laid back.
I would look into those DT1350's. If you like rock and you want fast, they will deliver. Not bright or shrill in the highs but detail retrieval is nice.
A full sized that could be used as a portable is the KRK KNS8400 which has a removable cable so it is versatile in that regard. A 1.5m length is available. It is very suitable for your music selection and highs are not fatiguing either.

Uptowns mostly catched my eye because I could buy them now for about the same price I got Downtowns half an year earlier. I was a bit unclear, but I don't need neither absolute clarity nor turbofast cans. Some records like Lapko's discography just deteriorates into cacophony of barely distinguishable instruments. I don't know how to describe it, but on HM5 for example they sound fine. I mentioned rock because I know you can't find good jacks of all trades for this price, but this should give some insight on my taste.

I will check out the KNS8400, but on the first sight the headband seems to be the type that makes your head look three times bigger. That's the look I try to avoid. Also HD25 and DT1350 are on my 'will get someday' -list, but as a student it feels like I could use those 200e more wisely.

Nov 21, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #1,408 of 5,364
Hey guys.  Just signed up here after looking around other forums to see which ones are the most helpful in terms of advice.  Hope you guys can be of assistence.

I know very little about headphones, hence why I'm here.  My maximum budget is $90, though feel free to suggest something slightly more in the hopes it goes on sale tomorrow :).  If it helps, I listen to a lot of metal and a lot of electronic music, so I assume something in the below 20hz to 22khz with a decent driver would be optimal...but again, I don't know much about headphones lol. I'll be using it primarily for music and video obviously, but I'm going to need either a mic already attached or a way to attach a mic to them because I do use chat protocals.  An added, if completely unnecessary bonus because I don't game very much if at all would be if they're 360 compatible (for mic purposes), but don't worry whatsoever about that part.  That it to say...don't feel the need to recommend me a gaming headset.  From what I can tell they often offer poor music quality.

Also I am a Canadian, so it would be very helpful if anything recommended is easily accessable at a vendor available to Canadians.   canadacomputers would be optimal to buy from because I really do enjoy buying various products from them and they have a fairly wide selection, though of course you can go for the big guys like your best buys and your futureshops.  Thanks so much!

Nov 21, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #1,409 of 5,364
Quote:
The Vmoda M80 is a great sounding headphone is a small package and comes in a variety of colors. That is prolly the one she is referring to. I would recommend snatching a pair if you find them on sale over the coming weekend. Vmoda prides themselves in build and their kevlar reinforced detachable cables. Not the bassiest can in the world, but it sounds like she already has had a chance to audition them so should be a winner for you.

Do you know how well they isolate outside noises? I've heard they have vented cups, but if they are listenable on tolerable volumes while commuting on public transport I could think about them. I'd prefer the full sized M100 for bigger pads as they look as sleek, if it wasn't for their 300e price-tag.

Nov 21, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #1,410 of 5,364
Do you know how well they isolate outside noises? I've heard they have vented cups, but if they are listenable on tolerable volumes while commuting on public transport I could think about them. I'd prefer the full sized M100 for bigger pads as they look as sleek, if it wasn't for their 300e price-tag.

You know what I don't know, my limited time with them was indoors. Seemed far from open sounding too me. Can't imagine they could be that bad for a phone intended for use on the go. There is also the less expensive Crossfade LP2 which is a very bassy headphone.

Personally if it were me, I think the coolest choice out there for portability with good bass and good natural sounding detailed upper end is the UE6000. Comes in white which might be cool for a teenage gal. Removable cable, comfy, I noticed the bass emphasis but also their ability to reproduce female vocalists quite well on the Adele track I ran through them. Can be had for a bit less than 200. Just a bit over your price but I am SURE you will find a deal on those. Look em up. Don't know why I didn't think of recommending those to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back