Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Nov 20, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #1,382 of 5,364
Looking to get into a nice pair of IEM's

Info: New to getting into quality audio equipment. Spent a lot of time researching. Now looking to the community for some input/help.

Music Type: Kpop (Pop and Ballads) i.e (Girls' Generation, Kara, 2NE1, Epik High, Eru, etc)

Budget: ~$300 (i have some wiggle room)

Criteria: Not overpowering on the bass. Clean and sharp vocals. Something with a nice balance.

Possible Choices:  Westone UM3X, Monster Turbine Copper Pro, Yamaha EPH-100SL (not limited to these. just came across on my research)

Thanks for taking the time to read this post and reply. 

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #1,383 of 5,364
Hi All,

I am planning to buy a new IEM for my iPod Nano(3rd Gen) and Sansa Clip+. I owned Bose IE2 and was not very impressed with the sound !
Here are the details
  1. I listen to more of Light music, Indian and light Pop.(Will like crisp bass in these)
  2. Good over all sound quality
  3. I will use earphones for running as well (I likes Bose IE2 for their comfort fit)
  4. Durability (Bose IE2s were durable!)
  5. Don't need any Controls, Microphones etc.
  1. Budget : 90$ - 210$

Help is much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
Kiran

Nov 20, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #1,384 of 5,364
Hey guys !

I'm kinda new here, but I've been looking a lot and still can't decide which one is the headphone that I'll buy..

I'm looking for a portable headphone, in a price range of those ones that I'll list down here and these are the ones that I've liked more, based on reviews and things..

Koss Pro DJ100 - http://www.amazon.com/Koss-ProDJ100-Headphones/dp/B003X1BEKI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1353463809&sr=1-1&keywords=koss+pro+dj100

Numark PHX (USB) - http://www.amazon.com/Numark-PHX-USB-Analog-Headphones/dp/B0038YX39K/ref=sr_1_14?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1353462755&sr=1-14&keywords=numark

Ultrasone HFI-450 - http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-HFI-450-Surround-Professional-Headphones/dp/B000WN9PLK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353286405&sr=8-1&keywords=yamaha+rh10ms

I thought about Philips-O'Neill SHO9560/28 too, but their portability may kill me here :frowning2:

Can you, PLEASE, help me out here ?

I use my iPod Classic to listen things like Maroon 5 (more acoustic music), lots of Rock and Rap/R&B..

Thank you !

Nov 20, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #1,385 of 5,364
Quote:
Thanks.

They are unfortunately not available in my country, but I can order them from ebay. With everything included (shipping, taxes and VAT) it will cost me almost $ 130. Are they still worth it?

Yeah, most people importing these from Japan have to pay those prices. I'd say that price would be the norm.

Quote:
Hi All,

I am planning to buy a new IEM for my iPod Nano(3rd Gen) and Sansa Clip+. I owned Bose IE2 and was not very impressed with the sound !
Here are the details
  1. I listen to more of Light music, Indian and light Pop.(Will like crisp bass in these)
  2. Good over all sound quality
  3. I will use earphones for running as well (I likes Bose IE2 for their comfort fit)
  4. Durability (Bose IE2s were durable!)
  5. Don't need any Controls, Microphones etc.
  1. Budget : 90$ - 210$

Help is much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
Kiran

GR07 = crisp bass. Some of the most natural I've heard. Durable as heck. 

Quote:
Looking to get into a nice pair of IEM's

Info: New to getting into quality audio equipment. Spent a lot of time researching. Now looking to the community for some input/help.

Music Type: Kpop (Pop and Ballads) i.e (Girls' Generation, Kara, 2NE1, Epik High, Eru, etc)

Budget: ~$300 (i have some wiggle room)

Criteria: Not overpowering on the bass. Clean and sharp vocals. Something with a nice balance.

Possible Choices:  Westone UM3X, Monster Turbine Copper Pro, Yamaha EPH-100SL (not limited to these. just came across on my research)

Thanks for taking the time to read this post and reply. 

Hooray, more KPop fans! The three you have above are actually well-know by their warm, thick sound. Results from more prominent than usual bass, and just thick note presentation. Sort of the opposite of what you stated you were looking for. The UM3X sounds decent for KPop, but I actually really liked the MTPC's presentation for KPop (loaded up some BEG and Epik High - RTHS, really euphonic sound). Might want to look into the ER4S or CK10 for that balance and clarity in vocals.

Nov 20, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #1,386 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey guys !

I'm kinda new here, but I've been looking a lot and still can't decide which one is the headphone that I'll buy..

I'm looking for a portable headphone, in a price range of those ones that I'll list down here and these are the ones that I've liked more, based on reviews and things..

Koss Pro DJ100 - http://www.amazon.com/Koss-ProDJ100-Headphones/dp/B003X1BEKI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1353463809&sr=1-1&keywords=koss+pro+dj100

Numark PHX (USB) - http://www.amazon.com/Numark-PHX-USB-Analog-Headphones/dp/B0038YX39K/ref=sr_1_14?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1353462755&sr=1-14&keywords=numark

Ultrasone HFI-450 - http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-HFI-450-Surround-Professional-Headphones/dp/B000WN9PLK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353286405&sr=8-1&keywords=yamaha+rh10ms

I thought about Philips-O'Neill SHO9560/28 too, but their portability may kill me here :frowning2:

Can you, PLEASE, help me out here ?

I use my iPod Classic to listen things like Maroon 5 (more acoustic music), lots of Rock and Rap/R&B..

Thank you !

If you're going for Philips, get the Uptowns. Great balance for rock and R&B (bass is enough on Rap for my tastes, depends on what you listen to). 

Something with a similar form factor would be the HA-S500/400. Doc would be more qualified to answer questions for those (seeing as I don't own them)

Nov 20, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #1,388 of 5,364
Quote:
@TwinQY Thanks for the insight. Good thing i asked here first. I am leaning to the ER-4S since you and a friend of mine suggested it. Any suggestions on a portable amp? My friends got a  fiio e17.

The S won't be too bad for power requirements, but it's more needy than my P, so take that into consideration. If you have the budget for an E17, by all means, get them! I'd just buckle down for an E11 if I was to buy an amp for these things. 

Nov 20, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #1,389 of 5,364
Howdy,

Having used the buy / sell forum on this site early last year to pick up some Triple Fi 10s, i feel its time to move on.
Cleaning them i think i accidently damaged them and although they still sound fine, the volume is nothing like it used to be (perhaps a good thing!).

looking in the 130-180 price range, and have no problem purchasing from one of the quality reviewers on this site as i have done before.
or brand new, whichever makes the most sense.

the options i came up with last time i was here were:

[size=10pt]Shure SE215[/size][size=10pt] – great sound isolation and probably great for some of my metal music and heavier bassier stuff.[/size]
[size=10pt]VSONIC GR07 – great all around sound but I’ve heard a few reviews mention issues with sibilance. Not sure what to make of this.[/size]
[size=10pt]MEELECTRONICS CC51 – love the look, great reviews and seem to really put a lot of effort into a balanced sound similar to the GR07 but no mention of any sibilance issues from what I can find. The iPhone option also seems appealing.[/size]
[size=10pt]MEELECTRONICS A151  - probably not as solid bass as the CC51 above but their website seems to rate them as better? Bit of confusion around these as a comparison to the CC51’s.[/size]

[size=10pt]as i mentioned, i ended up getting some minorly used Triple Fi's for 140 so i was very happy with that.[/size]

[size=10pt]I tend to listen to a lot of Sabbath, stoner rock (KYUSS), thick hard rock/metal sounds.[/size]
[size=10pt]But i do love my prodigy amongst other electronic stuff and like that to sound really crisp and distinguished.[/size]

[size=10pt]I dont know what or how much things have changed since early last year, so i was wondering if i could get a bit of a recommendation regarding some in-ear replacements for my triple fi's.[/size]

[size=10pt]i jog on occasion and what i did like about the triple Fi's is that they have the shape-able part of the cable closest to your ear so it helps keep them in my ear. i struggle a lot with in-ear headphones and getting them to stay put! on my triple fi's i use the smallest bullets and they seem to keep them in best.[/size]

[size=10pt]thoughts?[/size]
[size=10pt]anything else i should describe to help with anyone assisting me?[/size]

once again, thanks to the community here for their assistance.

Ben.

Nov 20, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #1,390 of 5,364
Quote:
Howdy,

Having used the buy / sell forum on this site early last year to pick up some Triple Fi 10s, i feel its time to move on.
Cleaning them i think i accidently damaged them and although they still sound fine, the volume is nothing like it used to be (perhaps a good thing!).

looking in the 130-180 price range, and have no problem purchasing from one of the quality reviewers on this site as i have done before.
or brand new, whichever makes the most sense.

the options i came up with last time i was here were:

[size=10pt]Shure SE215[/size][size=10pt] – great sound isolation and probably great for some of my metal music and heavier bassier stuff.[/size]
[size=10pt]VSONIC GR07 – great all around sound but I’ve heard a few reviews mention issues with sibilance. Not sure what to make of this.[/size]
[size=10pt]MEELECTRONICS CC51 – love the look, great reviews and seem to really put a lot of effort into a balanced sound similar to the GR07 but no mention of any sibilance issues from what I can find. The iPhone option also seems appealing.[/size]
[size=10pt]MEELECTRONICS A151  - probably not as solid bass as the CC51 above but their website seems to rate them as better? Bit of confusion around these as a comparison to the CC51’s.[/size]

[size=10pt]as i mentioned, i ended up getting some minorly used Triple Fi's for 140 so i was very happy with that.[/size]

[size=10pt]I tend to listen to a lot of Sabbath, stoner rock (KYUSS), thick hard rock/metal sounds.[/size]
[size=10pt]But i do love my prodigy amongst other electronic stuff and like that to sound really crisp and distinguished.[/size]

[size=10pt]I dont know what or how much things have changed since early last year, so i was wondering if i could get a bit of a recommendation regarding some in-ear replacements for my triple fi's.[/size]

[size=10pt]i jog on occasion and what i did like about the triple Fi's is that they have the shape-able part of the cable closest to your ear so it helps keep them in my ear. i struggle a lot with in-ear headphones and getting them to stay put! on my triple fi's i use the smallest bullets and they seem to keep them in best.[/size]

[size=10pt]thoughts?[/size]
[size=10pt]anything else i should describe to help with anyone assisting me?[/size]

once again, thanks to the community here for their assistance.

Ben.

The VSonics have this extremely natural timbre, with some of the crispest drums. Amazing for metal. I didn't hear sibilance at all, but the unit was most like fully burnt-in (a general consensus on these is that burn-in is pretty audible for the bio-cellular drivers, one of the few occasions IMO where burn-in really makes an effect). The SE215 have those liquid mids that do so well for metal and rock, as well as that laid-back/borderline recessed treble to take the edge off some metal recordings.

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #1,391 of 5,364
Quote:

Yeah, you'll be hard pressed to find something similar sounding to the PFE122 at that price (PFE012, but probably still too expensive). Closest would be the lesser PFE012. But that's a bit more bass-tilted and less clear, although the tonality is nearly identical. GR06 has this liquid midrange you might like. Also look into the FXD80 (for punchy bass), A161P (forward mids, apparently, haven't heard them), RE262 (less practical, needs more power, but very liquid and smooth).

I'm leaning towards the GR06, but I'm wondering how the Meelectronic A151/A161P compares with it. And what about Logitech UE 500/600? Truthfully, I'm not craving for heavy bass, just something that has a nice kick to it (I suppose something with more a mid-bass), if anything, I'd prefer a warm mid-range. 

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #1,392 of 5,364
Quote:

I'm leaning towards the GR06, but I'm wondering how the Meelectronic A151/A161P compares with it. And what about Logitech UE 500/600? Truthfully, I'm not craving for heavy bass, just something that has a nice kick to it (I suppose something with more a mid-bass), if anything, I'd prefer a warm mid-range. 

I'd say the A161P do a bit better technically, but the GR06 might suit your signature preference more. Shame that I haven't heard the UE yet, sorry. The FXD80, again have nice mid bass kick (though not too pronounced or overwhelming compared to the rest of the bass. The FXT90 might suit you as well if you want that warm midrange. The PFE122 would have been perfect, but alas, that budget...

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #1,393 of 5,364
Cleaning them i think i accidently damaged them....

Yea I had the same problem. You have to put the machine on "gentle cycle" and use mild detergent. Not sure on dryer setting :D
i jog on occasion and what i did like about the triple Fi's is that they have the shape-able part of the cable closest to your ear so it helps keep them in my ear. i struggle a lot with in-ear headphones and getting them to stay put! on my triple fi's i use the smallest bullets and they seem to keep them in best.

On a serious note, just a point of advice on jogging. I that is where I use my comply tips. I like to wear some really light budget IEMs like the CX200 or my FX40 when doing shooting drills which is non-stop jumping and running. With the complys I have never had them come out. Even when I dropped my little player it just dangles there from the cable while they are still in my ears.

So that is an option to get a decent pair of budget IEMs for your jogging and invest in some really nice ones for enjoyment.

Nov 21, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #1,394 of 5,364
Hi Guys!

I'm in the market of a new set of IEMS. I would like something nice and crisp sound with a tight punchy bass (not too overpowering). I have owned the Hippo VBs and I thought the bass was too overpowering on the 2nd and 3rd plates and was too loose. I've owned the Brainwavz M2s and loved them but the sound was crisp enough for me. The bass was a little loose, but overall it was acceptable.

I normally listen to classical music, folk, blues, rock, electronica, and top 40s. Essentially, if possible, I'd like clear vocals with a tight bass (not too tight would be okay too).

Currently, I'm looking into the MH1C's by Sony (I have a preference for the J Cord), the Brainwavz R1, the RE0, and the ATH CKM 500. Other suggestions would be good too. I'd prefer to keep it under 100 but I'm flexible with the price if its worth it.

Thanks a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back