Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Nov 15, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #1,321 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey everyone,

My current pair of earbuds is dieing and I'm looking for a new portable solution. My main source will be a Galaxy Note II with lossless or 320kbps MP3s. I would prefer not to use an amp. I listen to mainly trance/house/other electronica, but do listen to some rock and pop. I would say focus on the electronica sound the most. I have a budget of around $100 dollars (this will be a birthday gift for me), but would not object to throwing in another $50 or so if needed. Isolation/noise cancelling would be a plus as well. If I could order them from Amazon that would also be a plus because I would like to overnight them for a flight this weekend.

SE-215 would be be a nice choice if you want lots of isolation. It's a little bassy, but it doesn't lack mid or highs either. Sounds like an 100$ earphone but the isolation feels like its a lot more than 100$. 

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #1,322 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey everyone,

My current pair of earbuds is dieing and I'm looking for a new portable solution. My main source will be a Galaxy Note II with lossless or 320kbps MP3s. I would prefer not to use an amp. I listen to mainly trance/house/other electronica, but do listen to some rock and pop. I would say focus on the electronica sound the most. I have a budget of around $100 dollars (this will be a birthday gift for me), but would not object to throwing in another $50 or so if needed. Isolation/noise cancelling would be a plus as well. If I could order them from Amazon that would also be a plus because I would like to overnight them for a flight this weekend.

Apparently the Note II is an amazing source, with a decent onboard amp. So probably no need for an amp. For techno/trance, the HF5 are really fast sounding and hit those notes perfectly, they also isloate superbly. The CKM99 and FXD90 are worth looking into as well. Most of these are available on Amazon. 

Nov 15, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #1,325 of 5,364
Hi Guys! Need Advice :)

I need to find an IEM with around 100$-120$ Budget.
Must be good looking and has an over the ear design. I'm a basshead so the better the bass, the better the fun :)

Im interested in Shure SE215 Limited Edition and a Westone UM1 Limited Edition...

So which one of the two is better, bassier and more fun sounding? Or do you have any other recommendations too?

Any help would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #1,329 of 5,364
Hello everyone! Hoping I could get some advice (new here)

I have (had?) a pair of Klipsch S4's and I really did enjoy them. Sadly though, after 2 years of service they've fallen apart on me. 
frown.gif

So, I'm in need of a new pair of IEMs, and with Black Friday around the corner, I figure this is the best time to buy.

What I liked about the S4's:
-- I really enjoyed the bass. Over the hundreds of hours of use, I really enjoyed the satisfying dynamic feeling I got. Not too heavy either. For me, just right.
-- The overall signature was warm & very fun sounding.

What I disliked about the S4's:
-- While I liked the warm signature, the treble on the S4's was a bit lacking. Not recessed or anything, just didn't have as much sparkle as I'd like.

Basically, I'm looking for a pair with a warm signature, but with a bit more treble sparkle. I've lurked quite a bit and it seems like highs & Balanced Armatures go hand in hand.
However, I've also read that Balanced Armatures can often sound cold / lack the engaging sound of dynamics.
Price is not a problem, and I've already been considering two options: the PFE 232 (for their dynamics & sparkle) and the UM3X (warm signature & BA treble).
Does anybody have experience with these (and can hopefully provide a comparison with the S4s)? Also open to other suggestions.

Thanks 
wink.gif

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #1,330 of 5,364
Hey TwinQY you won't believe this. I have been recommending the MS400 to so many people as the most comfy on ear I have tried. Then this guy posts he wants to replace his MS400 cuz his ears hurt from touching the grill. I told him he must be wearing them wrong or have small ears cus they are on-ear. I check the spec's and you know what?........

He had it right. They are "over ear" headphones per the specs. Oh' my..... who has ears that small?

Anyway figured I'd post that here for anyone I have mislead :D

Well they are still on-ear to me.

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #1,331 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey TwinQY you won't believe this. I have been recommending the MS400 to so many people as the most comfy on ear I have tried. Then this guy posts he wants to replace his MS400 cuz his ears hurt from touching the grill. I told him he must be wearing them wrong or have small ears cus they are on-ear. I check the spec's and you know what?........
He had it right. They are "over ear" headphones per the specs. Oh' my..... who has ears that small?
Anyway figured I'd post that here for anyone I have mislead
biggrin.gif

They sort of fit me over the ear. It's tight, but it works. Oh, you and your elephant ears...

Quote:
Hello everyone! Hoping I could get some advice (new here)

I have (had?) a pair of Klipsch S4's and I really did enjoy them. Sadly though, after 2 years of service they've fallen apart on me. 
frown.gif

So, I'm in need of a new pair of IEMs, and with Black Friday around the corner, I figure this is the best time to buy.

What I liked about the S4's:
-- I really enjoyed the bass. Over the hundreds of hours of use, I really enjoyed the satisfying dynamic feeling I got. Not too heavy either. For me, just right.
-- The overall signature was warm & very fun sounding.

What I disliked about the S4's:
-- While I liked the warm signature, the treble on the S4's was a bit lacking. Not recessed or anything, just didn't have as much sparkle as I'd like.

Basically, I'm looking for a pair with a warm signature, but with a bit more treble sparkle. I've lurked quite a bit and it seems like highs & Balanced Armatures go hand in hand.
However, I've also read that Balanced Armatures can often sound cold / lack the engaging sound of dynamics.
Price is not a problem, and I've already been considering two options: the PFE 232 (for their dynamics & sparkle) and the UM3X (warm signature & BA treble).
Does anybody have experience with these (and can hopefully provide a comparison with the S4s)? Also open to other suggestions.

Thanks 
wink.gif

PFE232s. Utterly destroys the S4s in every aspect. You can't go wrong with them (though they aren't very warm tonally, a bit leaning towards the neutral side). The UM3X...I wouldn't call as sparkly. Look into the UE900/4.Ai as well, seems to fit your description of what you want.

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #1,332 of 5,364
Anyway figured I'd post that here for anyone I have mislead :D

I've seen a picture of your ears lol! (you should post that again - too funny!)

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #1,334 of 5,364
^ if such a picture even existed to begin with..... you would all be in awe and gaze upon my extreme handsomeness....

Edit: Back on topic..... Yea the MS400 I could fit my ears inside if I really wanted to but geez your ears really would be right up against the grill. How odd. I think i'll stick with wearing them as quasi on ear headphones.

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #1,335 of 5,364
Quote:
^ if such a picture even existed to begin with..... you would all be in awe and gaze upon my extreme handsomeness....
Edit: Back on topic..... Yea the MS400 I could fit my ears inside if I really wanted to but geez your ears really would be right up against the grill. How odd. I think i'll stick with wearing them as quasi on ear headphones.

Someone photoshop a pic of Val Kilmer with elephant ears already! 

Maybe some foam/cotton underneath the pads would remedy the over-ear fit...Couldn't hurt to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back