Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Nov 13, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #1,306 of 5,364
Should i get the jvc has500 or the has400? The difference is of 50 bucks since the has500 need to be imported from japan... guidance please.

in resume are the has500b worth +$50 bucks?

That is hard to answer. The s500 is certainly more detailed with better extension in both directions. The s400 is a more laid back sound. It really depends on the sound you prefer but the s400 is similar in sound to the s500 with the most notable difference being the roll off in the high end.

In fact now that i recall i actually much prefer the s500 out of the box over the s400. I didn't care much for the s400 until i changed out the stock pads so i would say the s500 is worth it.

Nov 13, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #1,307 of 5,364
Hello,

Thanks so much for the recommendations. My initial thoughts were to go for another set of JVCs so the FXD80 seems interesting. Do you think the sound would be a noticeable step up from the FX1000? I dont seem to be able to find many reviews online. 

It is a real shame that JVC don't offer many of their high end models in the UK. 

Sam.

I haven't tried them to compare but here. Try this. This thread shld answer your question. And if not I'm sure someone there has tried both and you should get a fast answer. Good luck!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/612299/jvcs-micro-hd-line-revamped-for-2012-ha-fxd80-70-60

Nov 13, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #1,308 of 5,364
If noise cancellation, or even isolation, is taken into consideration, just know that the M80s are vented, so not exactly their strong suit (though not horrible like open sets). Whenever I demo the M80, I find R&B/vocals seem to be done extremely well, so I would take them on sound alone. Haven't heard the UE6000, hopefully others will chime in.

Where are you located? If you were in Canada, I would have suggested the XBA-3 for sale at $119 at Future Shop, but seems they got sold out already (damn you hype thread for letting everyone know about these!). Otherwise, the PFE122/GR01 (especially for classical), do pretty well all-round.

Hey TinyQY, just wanted to say thanks for the recommendation. I looked into the PFE and finally decided to go with them. Can't wait to get 'em. And I managed to get them for 25% off. So woo. You wouldn't happen to know if they would benefit well from Fiio E5 amping would you? I've never tried an amp before. I'll most likely be using the black filters.
Anyway, thanks again. :)

Nov 13, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #1,309 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey TinyQY, just wanted to say thanks for the recommendation. I looked into the PFE and finally decided to go with them. Can't wait to get 'em. And I managed to get them for 25% off. So woo. You wouldn't happen to know if they would benefit well from Fiio E5 amping would you? I've never tried an amp before. I'll most likely be using the black filters.
Anyway, thanks again.
smily_headphones1.gif

They're pretty efficient. Probably no need for the E5 (though I do love mine).  I think the green filters are all you really need to get that bass out. Black ones are much more reference. 

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #1,310 of 5,364
Okay, here goes...

I am torn between getting a set of IEMs that are accurate, or a set that are more suited to what I'm listening to. I am learning to use FL Studio, and I want a pair that will accurately represent the mix I am putting together, but I also want to be able to listen to my many different tastes in music on them and be satisfied with the sound I get. Thus I am at a loss. Recommendations?

Thanks.

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #1,311 of 5,364
You're not alone with that quandry

Quote: Michael Fremer, Sterophile
When I interviewed recording engineer Roy Halee (Simon and Garfunkel, The Byrds, The Lovin' Spoonful, etc.) at his home in Connecticut back in 1991, he pointed to his pair of monolithic Infinity IRS loudspeakers and said, "When I want to listen for pleasure, I listen to those." He then pointed to a pair of early-edition Wilson Audio Specialties WATT/Puppys in a second system set up in the corner of his large listening room. "When I want to hear what's on a recording I've made, I listen to those."

Nov 14, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #1,312 of 5,364
Hey! So I'm looking for  earphones with 'engaging' sound but in a realistic manner (?) that also have good build quality.
My only experience is with JVC Marshmallows, which honestly sound muddled, not detailed at all, and 'compressed' to me.
I think I would really enjoy a 'dynamic' sound, like I'm listening to live music, but with less broooom and a touch more detail.
Here's a thread I made (I'm sorry, I just found this thread) http://www.head-fi.org/t/636185/kid-looking-for-veterans-experience-using-cowon-starting-audiophilia
and me asking joker for suggestions http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-263-iems-compared-1964ears-1964-v3-added-11-04-12/8715

Nov 14, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #1,313 of 5,364
Hi guys, i currently have the DBA-02 paired with the clip zip and e11. I'm looking for some cheap (<$200) iems with an emphasis on bass. i'm not a basshead so it doesn't have to be an overload of bass but more than the weak bass on the DBA's. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Nov 14, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #1,314 of 5,364
Quote:
Okay, here goes...

I am torn between getting a set of IEMs that are accurate, or a set that are more suited to what I'm listening to. I am learning to use FL Studio, and I want a pair that will accurately represent the mix I am putting together, but I also want to be able to listen to my many different tastes in music on them and be satisfied with the sound I get. Thus I am at a loss. Recommendations?

Thanks.

Etys, Etys, Etys, Etys, Etys, Etys.

HF5s, get them.

Quote:
Hey! So I'm looking for  earphones with 'engaging' sound but in a realistic manner (?) that also have good build quality.
My only experience is with JVC Marshmallows, which honestly sound muddled, not detailed at all, and 'compressed' to me.
I think I would really enjoy a 'dynamic' sound, like I'm listening to live music, but with less broooom and a touch more detail.
Here's a thread I made (I'm sorry, I just found this thread) http://www.head-fi.org/t/636185/kid-looking-for-veterans-experience-using-cowon-starting-audiophilia
and me asking joker for suggestions http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-263-iems-compared-1964ears-1964-v3-added-11-04-12/8715

Do you have a budget? Any wants in terms of isolation, comfort, build?

Quote:
Hi guys, i currently have the DBA-02 paired with the clip zip and e11. I'm looking for some cheap (<$200) iems with an emphasis on bass. i'm not a basshead so it doesn't have to be an overload of bass but more than the weak bass on the DBA's. Any recommendations?

Thanks

XBA-3, MTPC, Atrios, all will have more (better? Purely preference) bass.

Nov 14, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #1,315 of 5,364
Hey guys, I've been using Shure SE535s for the last couple of years and am now thinking of upgrading.  I've avoided customs because I really prefer the convenience and flexibility of universals, and I'm wondering if there any universal options out there (ie W4, UE900, ..) that are truly a step above the SE535 (vs just a different sound signature)? Or, is it time to go for customs?

1. I use my earphones mostly while walking to work, at work, and at the gym.
  2. My source will mostly be an iphone5, and sometimes macbookair.  
  3. I refuse to use any kind of mobile amp or dac for earphones. (I've had a mobile amp before, it was more pain than value for my use case).
  4. I use Sennheiser 800s at home and love them.
  5. I listen to mostly electronic, classical, jazz, and some pop. (no hiphop, no metal).

Thanks!

Nov 14, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #1,316 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey guys, I've been using Shure SE535s for the last couple of years and am now thinking of upgrading.  I've avoided customs because I really prefer the convenience and flexibility of universals, and I'm wondering if there any universal options out there (ie W4, UE900, ..) that are truly a step above the SE535 (vs just a different sound signature)? Or, is it time to go for customs?

1. I use my earphones mostly while walking to work, at work, and at the gym.
  2. My source will mostly be an iphone5, and sometimes macbookair.  
  3. I refuse to use any kind of mobile amp or dac for earphones. (I've had a mobile amp before, it was more pain than value for my use case).
  4. I use Sennheiser 800s at home and love them.
  5. I listen to mostly electronic, classical, jazz, and some pop. (no hiphop, no metal).

Thanks!

While I do feel that stuff like the PFE232, 4.Ai, W4 are better than the Shures, it probably isn't that full step above that you're looking for, residing somewhere in the realm of sidegrades. Some of the cheaper, entry level customs will probably be your best bet, and get you the best value as well. If you're stuck on universals, the Aurisonics, TG334, K3003, etc, are some of the few that could truly be considered an upgrade in every sense.

Nov 14, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #1,317 of 5,364
Seeing as different eartips can affect the sound, I was wondering if the same could be said for using two different size eartips on a single pair of earphones.

I ask because I just found out my left canal is smaller than my right after testing out many of the 15 eartips that came with my gr07.

Nov 14, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #1,318 of 5,364

Will only invest less than 2000 INR, Will used to hear mostly indian style music.Need sound clarity rather than bass.Want to hear all musical instruments sound in the music which played.I have a

sennheiser MX 170 (Inner ear type only but now want a over the ear head phone).In india Mostly available one funky and cost friendly, in skullcandy series.Can anyone suggest other than that.Prefer only sound clarity not looks.Awaiting your reply.

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #1,319 of 5,364
Quote:

Will only invest less than 2000 INR, Will used to hear mostly indian style music.Need sound clarity rather than bass.Want to hear all musical instruments sound in the music which played.I have a

sennheiser MX 170 (Inner ear type only but now want a over the ear head phone).In india Mostly available one funky and cost friendly, in skullcandy series.Can anyone suggest other than that.Prefer only sound clarity not looks.Awaiting your reply.

Soundmagic E10/E30/PL50 are very clear for the price. You'd be surprised by the Monoprice 8320 as well. Also look into the ADDIEM, their street price is close to your budget, and they are very clear and resolving for the price. 

Quote:
Seeing as different eartips can affect the sound, I was wondering if the same could be said for using two different size eartips on a single pair of earphones.

I ask because I just found out my left canal is smaller than my right after testing out many of the 15 eartips that came with my gr07.

As long as the seal is the same on both ear, and the material on the tip is the same, I wouldn't see why it shouldn't sound the same.  

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #1,320 of 5,364
Hey everyone,

My current pair of earbuds is dieing and I'm looking for a new portable solution. My main source will be a Galaxy Note II with lossless or 320kbps MP3s. I would prefer not to use an amp. I listen to mainly trance/house/other electronica, but do listen to some rock and pop. I would say focus on the electronica sound the most. I have a budget of around $100 dollars (this will be a birthday gift for me), but would not object to throwing in another $50 or so if needed. Isolation/noise cancelling would be a plus as well. If I could order them from Amazon that would also be a plus because I would like to overnight them for a flight this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back