Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Nov 11, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #1,291 of 5,364
About time you got them! While I didn't think they were TF10 level, they were definitely beyond M2 level, and hitting at RE0/GR06 levels of good. A rare gem in a sea of hype (SHE3480? Bleh) and overpriced stuff.

Yup. Im impressed.

I a/b them with two identical rockboxed clips. Honestly the mh1 does have more natural detailed upper mids imo and highs.

Nov 11, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #1,292 of 5,364
Quote:
Yup. Im impressed.
I a/b them with two identical rockboxed clips. Honestly the mh1 does have more natural detailed upper mids imo and highs.

More detailed highs than the TF10? Wow, high accolades! Maybe I should find another pair of TF10s, or buy my own pair of the Sonys. I mean, that friend is going to want them back one day...It's been a week or so already. I love how the bass and mids are so integrated and rich on these. Can I say mini-LCD-2s? No, I shouldn't, that'd be over-hyping them by a lot. They are very well performing though. 

Nov 11, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #1,293 of 5,364
More detailed highs than the TF10? Wow, high accolades! Maybe I should find another pair of TF10s, or buy my own pair of the Sonys. I mean, that friend is going to want them back one day...It's been a week or so already. I love how the bass and mids are so integrated and rich on these. Can I say mini-LCD-2s? No, I shouldn't, that'd be over-hyping them by a lot. They are very well performing though. 

Ok lemme be completely fair here.... I did have comply ts series tips on the tf10 at the time so that could have been a factor but man, i must say, those sonys are really really impressive at that price point. Too bad the cable couldnta been made a bit less microphonic.

Nov 11, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #1,294 of 5,364
Quote:
Ok lemme be completely fair here.... I did have comply ts series tips on the tf10 at the time so that could have been a factor but man, i must say, those sonys are really really impressive at that price point. Too bad the cable couldnta been made a bit less microphonic.

Hopefully someone tries recabling these, the estimated cost shouldn't be too high (at least not as high as the actual price on these). Flat cables - big no-no. Crappy unergonomic J-cord, even more so. Can't even use the cable cinch on the back of my head, so it's crazy microphonic. Have to wear them on the front (ugh), but it does make using the mic (love it) and the controls (love them) easier. 

Nov 11, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #1,295 of 5,364
The M80 is looking like an excellent option, but I have yet to have a listen with it. Does anyone know where I can demo it? Also, the UE6000 is now available to demo at Best Buy and the Apple Store for those who are interested, but the stations I tried didn't work :frowning2:

Nov 11, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #1,296 of 5,364
Quote:

Sony MH1C:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/632892/review-sony-mh1-the-best-kept-secret

I wouldn't say they are pretty, and the cable is a bit strange and has some other issues (which may or may not be deal breakers for you), but for under $30, you are getting pretty amazing sound quality.

Sounds interesting but they are rather too ugly 
tongue.gif

Any prettier options below $80? 

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #1,297 of 5,364
Quote:
Sounds interesting but they are rather too ugly 
tongue.gif

Any prettier options below $80? 

Phonaks, Dunus, V-Modas, look quite nice IMO. The Turbines are also lovely looking, and Future Shop (Canada) has them on sale for 70. If you have a Canadian friend, ask them to get a pair for you. 

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #1,298 of 5,364
Try the akg 551. It is a full sized designed to be portable. Comes out this month. It has detaild mids and the highs are not shrill or too sparkly. I think you would enjoy those for your music choice.
Edit: if you are set on on ear the dt1350 also has great mid detail and smoother highs.

The 551 sounds interesting. Thanks c

Nov 12, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #1,299 of 5,364
Hi there,

I have not really been on here since 2010. At the time I was trawling the site reading reviews to help me to decide which in ear headphones I should go for.

I went with the JVC HA-FX1000 and I have to say I loved them. I haven't felt the need to even consider anything else since. I felt as though I was rediscovering my entire mysic collection all over again! Unfortunately though, after using them day in day out for 2 years, the connection to one of the ears has inevitably broken.

I would have happily bought the same pair again but they don't seem readily available in the uk and are definitely not reasonably priced.

I am now looking for some in ear headphones with a similar sound for around £130. I'm not a bass head but I did love the bass response of the JVCs and the general warmth of sound. Isolation is important as I'm using them on he London Tube. Also I am looking for something that sounds good when plugging directly into my iPhone (as I thought the JVCs did).

I'm listening to a lot of styles of music from EDM such as Apparat and Telefon Tel Aviv to rock stuff such as Deerhunter.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Sam.

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #1,300 of 5,364
Hello guys,

I hve been trying to choose suitable headphones. The sound source is currently iPod nano, but i will try to buy something better sounding next summer though. I mostly listen to power/melodic death metal, alternative(Manowar, Amon Amarth, Breaking Benjamin etc) and sometimes dnb or trance(Pendulum, Shpongle, Netsky). I`m kinda tired of listening to my favourite music with my old headphones and try to buy new ones. I`m willing to pay $100-150 maybe a bit more. I want good soundstage as well as a good sounding,rich,fast(but over the top  deep) bass. Also, they should not be too quiet with my nano. Tthe sound quality is what matters, though i would slightly prefer in-ear ones. Portable headphones are also acceptable though they shouldnt be too big.

Also, what can u guys say about Meelectronics A161P, Shure SE215 and Yamaha EPH-100?

I`m lookin forward to any advises. TY inb4.

[size=2.4em]  [/size]

Nov 12, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #1,301 of 5,364
Hi there,
I have not really been on here since 2010. At the time I was trawling the site reading reviews to help me to decide which in ear headphones I should go for.
I went with the JVC HA-FX1000 and I have to say I loved them. I haven't felt the need to even consider anything else since. I felt as though I was rediscovering my entire mysic collection all over again! Unfortunately though, after using them day in day out for 2 years, the connection to one of the ears has inevitably broken.
I would have happily bought the same pair again but they don't seem readily available in the uk and are definitely not reasonably priced.
I am now looking for some in ear headphones with a similar sound for around £130. I'm not a bass head but I did love the bass response of the JVCs and the general warmth of sound. Isolation is important as I'm using them on he London Tube. Also I am looking for something that sounds good when plugging directly into my iPhone (as I thought the JVCs did).
I'm listening to a lot of styles of music from EDM such as Apparat and Telefon Tel Aviv to rock stuff such as Deerhunter.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Sam.

If you already like jvc you might want to look into the fxd80. You should be able to get it imported from japan for your budget or cheaper. I am a huge fan of the at cmk99 for great isolation and amazing but not overwhelming bass. It is my favorite for bass driven music by far. Impressive job with presenting bass and oreserving good mid detail. I get confused when i hear someone occasionally say the highs can be sparkly. Maybe mine are just "burned in" idk.

Also the se215 can be had in that price range which is another iem that would fit your needs.

Nov 13, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #1,302 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello guys,

I hve been trying to choose suitable headphones. The sound source is currently iPod nano, but i will try to buy something better sounding next summer though. I mostly listen to power/melodic death metal, alternative(Manowar, Amon Amarth, Breaking Benjamin etc) and sometimes dnb or trance(Pendulum, Shpongle, Netsky). I`m kinda tired of listening to my favourite music with my old headphones and try to buy new ones. I`m willing to pay $100-150 maybe a bit more. I want good soundstage as well as a good sounding,rich,fast(but over the top  deep) bass. Also, they should not be too quiet with my nano. Tthe sound quality is what matters, though i would slightly prefer in-ear ones. Portable headphones are also acceptable though they shouldnt be too big.

Also, what can u guys say about Meelectronics A161P, Shure SE215 and Yamaha EPH-100?

I`m lookin forward to any advises. TY inb4.

The Shures and Yamahas seem like your best bet. Love your choice of music though! JVCs that Doc mentioned above might do the trick as well. 

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #1,303 of 5,364
Should i get the jvc has500 or the has400? The difference is of 50 bucks since the has500 need to be imported from japan... guidance please.

in resume are the has500b worth +$50 bucks?

Nov 13, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #1,305 of 5,364
Quote:
If you already like jvc you might want to look into the fxd80. You should be able to get it imported from japan for your budget or cheaper. I am a huge fan of the at cmk99 for great isolation and amazing but not overwhelming bass. It is my favorite for bass driven music by far. Impressive job with presenting bass and oreserving good mid detail. I get confused when i hear someone occasionally say the highs can be sparkly. Maybe mine are just "burned in" idk.
Also the se215 can be had in that price range which is another iem that would fit your needs.

Hello,

Thanks so much for the recommendations. My initial thoughts were to go for another set of JVCs so the FXD80 seems interesting. Do you think the sound would be a noticeable step up from the FX1000? I dont seem to be able to find many reviews online. 

It is a real shame that JVC don't offer many of their high end models in the UK. 

Sam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back