Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Nov 10, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #1,276 of 5,364
Wish I saw this thread before I made one. Anyways, I recently lost a $40 pair of Skullcandy Titan in-ears and am looking for a replacement. I was primarily into headphones at the time so I was more or less of "whatever" when buying those, hence the poor selection. I was actually satisfied with them. They were metal, they were cool looking, and was seemingly decent for the price. Plus, it was covered by a lifetime warranty, which is fully backed by the company - I speak from experience.

But now I've lost them. I think I'm ready for a slight upgrade for in-ears. 

I listen to alternative, rock, pop, and some mainstream music. Most of my music files are 320kbps MP3, Apple 256 kbps AAC, or lossless. My source is an iPod Touch 5th generation. 
I'm looking for something less than $100 - extra bonus points for hoping for anything visually attractive. 

Right now I'm looking at UE 600s which sell for around $70 on Amazon. 

Any other suggestions? Thanks! 

Nov 10, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #1,277 of 5,364
Quote:
Wish I saw this thread before I made one. Anyways, I recently lost a $40 pair of Skullcandy Titan in-ears and am looking for a replacement. I was primarily into headphones at the time so I was more or less of "whatever" when buying those, hence the poor selection. I was actually satisfied with them. They were metal, they were cool looking, and was seemingly decent for the price. Plus, it was covered by a lifetime warranty, which is fully backed by the company - I speak from experience.

I listen to alternative, rock, pop, and some mainstream music. Most of my music files are 320kbps MP3, Apple 256 kbps AAC, or lossless. My source is an iPod Touch 5th generation. 
I'm looking for something less than $100 - extra bonus points for hoping for anything visually attractive. 

Sony MH1C:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/632892/review-sony-mh1-the-best-kept-secret

I wouldn't say they are pretty, and the cable is a bit strange and has some other issues (which may or may not be deal breakers for you), but for under $30, you are getting pretty amazing sound quality.

Nov 11, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #1,278 of 5,364

Ya listen to Wayne...

He aint kidding. Those Sony MH1 I am liking more than my $160 TF10's at the moment. Seriously impressive sound for that price range.

Nov 11, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #1,279 of 5,364
Quote:
Ya listen to Wayne...
He aint kidding. Those Sony MH1 I am liking more than my $160 TF10's at the moment. Seriously impressive sound for that price range.

About time you got them! While I didn't think they were TF10 level, they were definitely beyond M2 level, and hitting at RE0/GR06 levels of good. A rare gem in a sea of hype (SHE3480? Bleh) and overpriced stuff.

Nov 11, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #1,280 of 5,364
Recently broke my Turbine Coppers. I really dig their sound, but I'm looking for added detail and instrument separation. The bass quantity isn't as vital, I'm more content with how the coppers' mids and highs sound. I strictly listen to Metal music using my unamped Zune. Thanks everybody!

Nov 11, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #1,281 of 5,364
Quote:
Recently broke my Turbine Coppers. I really dig their sound, but I'm looking for added detail and instrument separation. The bass quantity isn't as vital, I'm more content with how the coppers' mids and highs sound. I strictly listen to Metal music using my unamped Zune. Thanks everybody!

Aren't the Coppers ridiculously lush in the bass and treble? SM3 and UM3X have that thick presentation, with a bit more detail. I would also recommend you look into the Aurisonics and Traluscents, from what I heard, they might be what you're looking for.

Quote:
Hey guys , i seek advice..

So im looking to buy headphones for music\movies use only , they will be used at home and work 
and outside so they have to be durable and decent- good looking. 
i hear every kind of music such as electro,rock,jazz,dubstep,classis rock , every genre there is that wasnt even stated here.
Im using an iphone so i would like the headphones to be iphone compatible with controls.
my price range is about 100-120$ and i was wandering between the AKG Q460 , PioneerHDJ500 (both with detchable cables which can defintely help )
and the AKG K518LE , which one has the best sound quality and worth every dollar of the three and which would be most suitable for my uses and durable?
Open for other suggestions also.

Hoping to get an answer..thank you very much.

Sorry for completely ignoring the other gear that you brought up (although the AKGs you mentioned are quite good for your music). But I think the Downtowns fit every aspect of your criteria perfectly. mic/control cable, removable, good for your genres.

Quote:
Hi Guys! Need Advice :)

I need to find an IEM with around 100$-120$ Budget.
Must be good looking and has an over the ear design. I'm a basshead so the better the bass, the better the fun :)

Im interested in Shure SE215 Limited Edition (still dont have an Idea where to purchase one so I need help here also) and a Westone UM1 Limited Edition...

So which one of the two is better, bassier and more fun sounding? Or do you have any other recommendations too?

Any help would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

Both aren't really basshead IEMs. Try the Sony MDXB90EX. 

Nov 11, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #1,282 of 5,364

Hey Im looking for some good in ears for someone that has small ears/ear canals. Listen to RnB, alternative rock, rap, dubstep; so im looking for bass but nothing out of this world since I dont want to spend more than $80US. ANY RECOMMENDATIONS?

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #1,283 of 5,364
Good morning, or at least I hope it is where you are.

Ear calibration -- I go back to being one of the first owners of the original Hafler preamp and amp and will admit to not having kept up with audiophile gear much since I did work on one of the first CD players that wasn't poo-pooed by the audiophile community in the mid 80s. Listening tastes run Jazz, Blues, Fusion, 70s Genesis/Yes-style "Progressive Rock," 80s "New Wave" and club (Yaz, OMD, New Order) and a bit of whatever KCRW comes up with.

I tend to prefer what I perceive as flat sound, preferring an open high end over elevated or flabby bass. In speakers of the 80s and 90s, crossover issues in the upper midrange used to drive me nuts. Mid 90s NHT Zeros driven off a NAD 310 have been my "computer speakers" for the last 20 years (doing the math). Soundstaging is critical as well. When I listen to a Jazz trio, I want to be able to "see" them. Snares, high-hat, and the like all have to sound right and focus at least close to as they would in a live environment.

I find Grado 60/80i to be sort of the minimal level of headphone sound that I'm looking for and find the ubiquitous 128 kbps MP3s to be like nails on the chalkboard. I had the original MDR-V6 ages ago and didn't find them terribly objectionable (as I very vaguely recall, a little over-emphasized in the bass and some strange spots up in the midrange), but they were hardly my favorites at the time. 

I had in-ear Shure E3s (I think) from about five or ten years ago. I never could get a comfortable fit with them. I think my ear canals are tight (I really have to roll down the foam noise-reduction ear plugs to get them in), but I'm no expert on canal size.

I've got two questions, after pouring through the IEM mass-review thread and several others. For now, assume the source is FLAC/Apple Lossless through a Samsung Galaxy S4 G (Wolfson WM8994), my iPod nano (watch-sized one), or perhaps, if needed, a Leckerton.

1) Decent "gym" earbud or IEM
  1. Relatively inexpensive ($50 or so, maybe $75 if really all that much better)
  2. Moderate isolation -- I need to be able to hear some of what is going on around me
  3. At least as listenable as the Grado SR 60i, with at least some sound stage and decent clarity
  4. Easy to insert

2) Based on my reading here and a couple other places I'm trying the Etymotic HF5 and Brainwavz B2 for my "at work" IEMs (the Grados leak too much sound for the people around me). Given my penchant mid and upper clarity, openness, and soundstage, am I doing myself in by not including the V-Sonic GR07 mk2? 

Yes, thanks, I am considering custom-molded inserts for the HF5s, if they work out. I'd appreciate hearing if the B2s or GR07s had similarly affordable options ($100 incremental cost, including molds). 

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #1,285 of 5,364
Nathan -- I found http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-263-iems-compared-1964ears-1964-v3-added-11-04-12 pretty valuable in at least getting one consistent reviewer's impressions on IEMs. http://www.head-fi.org/t/541204/concise-multi-iem-comparison-htc-rc-e190-samsung-ehs64-sony-mh750-added-nov-4th-2012 is perhaps even a better starting spot if you aren't up on the difference between "analytical" and "balanced" sound, for example.

You might also help other readers with more experience than I have by giving a reference point for what is "shrill" to you. What is "shrill" for one may be considered "muddy" or "flat" to another, depending on their musical listening experience.

Nov 11, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #1,286 of 5,364
Help. I have my home setup all sorted. Beyer dt880 600 ohm plus littledot tube amp.

I need a good headphone for my iPhone 5 and iPad Mini. I currently have the EarPods, Bose AE2i and Sennheiser HD202 ii.

I bought yesterday the Amperior which sounded amazing. But today after just one hour my ears hurt so much I took them off and re boxed them to return back to Apple store. My music is at 320 bit. I listen to jazz, classical, blues , pop and rock mainly. I need a pair of headphones that will work without an amp properly like the Sennheiser Amperior.

Budget is up to £280.

Nov 11, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #1,288 of 5,364
Hi! I'm new to HeadFi and I was wondering if you guys could offer me some recommendations on good IEMs under $40.
I'm looking for an IEM that's:
  • not too bassy and doesn't have any "shrill" highs (my ears are very sensitive)
  • sound is clear
  • works without an amp (I'm plugging them into an iPod)
  • sound isolating
Any recommendations or advice would help! Thanks!
Nathan Lee

Sony mh1 from amazon. 28 bucks

Hands down. You wont be disappointed.

Nov 11, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #1,289 of 5,364
Help. I have my home setup all sorted. Beyer dt880 600 ohm plus littledot tube amp.
I need a good headphone for my iPhone 5 and iPad Mini. I currently have the EarPods, Bose AE2i and Sennheiser HD202 ii.
I bought yesterday the Amperior which sounded amazing. But today after just one hour my ears hurt so much I took them off and re boxed them to return back to Apple store. My music is at 320 bit. I listen to jazz, classical, blues , pop and rock mainly. I need a pair of headphones that will work without an amp properly like the Sennheiser Amperior.
Budget is up to £280.

Try the akg 551. It is a full sized designed to be portable. Comes out this month. It has detaild mids and the highs are not shrill or too sparkly. I think you would enjoy those for your music choice.

Edit: if you are set on on ear the dt1350 also has great mid detail and smoother highs.

Nov 11, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #1,290 of 5,364
Quote:
Budget is up to £280.

Was it because the Amperiors were sort of edge and too sparkly in the treble? If so, the M80s are very smooth and unfatiguing in that regard. Since your budget is so high, I also suggest you go look at the M100.

Quote:

Hey Im looking for some good in ears for someone that has small ears/ear canals. Listen to RnB, alternative rock, rap, dubstep; so im looking for bass but nothing out of this world since I dont want to spend more than $80US. ANY RECOMMENDATIONS?

The Jays t-JAYs Three are the smallest IEMs I can think of. Sound is okay. You can find them at a Best Buy or something similar. If it's really, really good bass that you want, try the GR02, but with the smallest tips included.

Quote:
Good morning, or at least I hope it is where you are.

Ear calibration -- I go back to being one of the first owners of the original Hafler preamp and amp and will admit to not having kept up with audiophile gear much since I did work on one of the first CD players that wasn't poo-pooed by the audiophile community in the mid 80s. Listening tastes run Jazz, Blues, Fusion, 70s Genesis/Yes-style "Progressive Rock," 80s "New Wave" and club (Yaz, OMD, New Order) and a bit of whatever KCRW comes up with.

I tend to prefer what I perceive as flat sound, preferring an open high end over elevated or flabby bass. In speakers of the 80s and 90s, crossover issues in the upper midrange used to drive me nuts. Mid 90s NHT Zeros driven off a NAD 310 have been my "computer speakers" for the last 20 years (doing the math). Soundstaging is critical as well. When I listen to a Jazz trio, I want to be able to "see" them. Snares, high-hat, and the like all have to sound right and focus at least close to as they would in a live environment.

I find Grado 60/80i to be sort of the minimal level of headphone sound that I'm looking for and find the ubiquitous 128 kbps MP3s to be like nails on the chalkboard. I had the original MDR-V6 ages ago and didn't find them terribly objectionable (as I very vaguely recall, a little over-emphasized in the bass and some strange spots up in the midrange), but they were hardly my favorites at the time. 

I had in-ear Shure E3s (I think) from about five or ten years ago. I never could get a comfortable fit with them. I think my ear canals are tight (I really have to roll down the foam noise-reduction ear plugs to get them in), but I'm no expert on canal size.

I've got two questions, after pouring through the IEM mass-review thread and several others. For now, assume the source is FLAC/Apple Lossless through a Samsung Galaxy S4 G (Wolfson WM8994), my iPod nano (watch-sized one), or perhaps, if needed, a Leckerton.

1) Decent "gym" earbud or IEM
  1. Relatively inexpensive ($50 or so, maybe $75 if really all that much better)
  2. Moderate isolation -- I need to be able to hear some of what is going on around me
  3. At least as listenable as the Grado SR 60i, with at least some sound stage and decent clarity
  4. Easy to insert

2) Based on my reading here and a couple other places I'm trying the Etymotic HF5 and Brainwavz B2 for my "at work" IEMs (the Grados leak too much sound for the people around me). Given my penchant mid and upper clarity, openness, and soundstage, am I doing myself in by not including the V-Sonic GR07 mk2? 

Yes, thanks, I am considering custom-molded inserts for the HF5s, if they work out. I'd appreciate hearing if the B2s or GR07s had similarly affordable options ($100 incremental cost, including molds). 

I think 1964Ears has a custom tip service for universal IEMs, you could try that with the B2 and GR07. I wouldn't call the sr60i flat by any means, but if you want clarity, the Soundmagic E30 and ADDIEM are the closest under your budget. Regarding the B2/GR07, the VSonics have a lot of what you're looking for, but with more body down below (not overblown or muddy, just more power than the B2s)

Quote:
Hi! I'm new to HeadFi and I was wondering if you guys could offer me some recommendations on good IEMs under $40.
I'm looking for an IEM that's:

1. not too bassy and doesn't have any "shrill" highs (my ears are very sensitive)
  2. sound is clear
  3. works without an amp (I'm plugging them into an iPod)
  4. sound isolating
Any recommendations or advice would help! Thanks!
Nathan Lee

Again, the E30 or the MH1C should do the trick. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back