Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Nov 6, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #1,171 of 5,364
Concerning the Senns, I didn't hear a difference out of the demo stands between the 228 and 229. Another decent, easily available choice at that price would be the Uptowns. 

Thanks for the reply. :) it's a double bonus, better looking and cheaper on the 228s. However I recently discovered the HD 428/438s which are within my price range, but not quite as portable, and the 10ft cord is putting me off for mobile use.

Nov 6, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #1,172 of 5,364
Thank you so much Wayne and Doc! I'm almost sold on S400/500. My only concern is comfort. Are they both painful with stock pads? How easy is it to replace those with the AKG pads? And most importantly, what is a safe place to buy them to avoid getting a counterfeit product?

ADDED: The more I read about JVCs, the more concerned I get about heat, sweat and pressure. Are Beyerdynamic DT 235 or Sennheiser PX 200 II going to be any better in this department? Does their SQ compare? Are they light? Apologies for so many questions.

I would try posting some of your questions over in this thread. http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-40mm-carbon-nanotubes/2850#post_8844260

The S500 have a signifigantly more comfortable headband than the 400. The "padding" on the 400 is very hard. I think the DT235 is going to be a more balanced and less V shaped sound to the S500. There is a thread on those too. They have velour pads so will be noticiably more comfy than those JVCs. Can't tell ya on the Senny's. Don't have experience with them.

Nov 6, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #1,173 of 5,364
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.
smily_headphones1.gif
it's a double bonus, better looking and cheaper on the 228s. However I recently discovered the HD 428/438s which are within my price range, but not quite as portable, and the 10ft cord is putting me off for mobile use.

The stock HD428 cable is probably one of the worst cables I've seen out of headphones yet. Two pairs, and the cable shorted out in the exact same way. Not very isolating as well. Not really recommended for portable use. Sound on the HD428 is a little bass anemic without mods, but the HD438 is pretty full bodied and good for the price.

Nov 6, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #1,174 of 5,364
Hi guys,

I have been looking for a IEM's at about 50-60 $ price range.
I live in Europe and I would prefer if I didn't have to buy overseas, could be Ebay but not from HongKong or somewhere as far as that.
I was thinking about Xears because I have read a lot good about them but most of the posts are 4-6 moths old. I have been reading quite a bit about R1 but now I can' see many people recommending them. Could you recommend me some good IEM's in this price range?

I can tell you that I have Beyerdynamic DT 990 + La figaro 336c and love this kind of sound so I guess the IEM's should be somewhat in that direction, it means fun with good bass and overall warm.
I listen to Rock, Rap, Electronic and some pop (Michael Jackson)

Thank you in advance,

Ask me more if it can help giving me some suggestions.

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #1,177 of 5,364
Alright, I posted this in the full-sized headphone section, but I also wouldn't mind if it was portable (NOT IEM's.) so I'm posting it here hoping to get a suggestion.

I'm looking to upgrade my HD25-1 II's. I'm looking to spend no more than, (maybe a tiny bit more) $350. I listen to bands such as Rise Against and Breaking Benjamin, but also listen to a lot of acoustic songs. I like punchy bass for drums, but I don't want a ton of bass. What would you guys recommend? Thanks.

Nov 6, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #1,178 of 5,364
Quote:
What do you listen to? Source? Any more info will help someone give you an answer.

I want an all-around headphones but I'm more into jazz and classicals. I will not be using an amp to drive the headphones and the cans will be plugged in to a smartphone.

Edit: My max budget is $200 and I will be using these cans while in commuting(subway train, bus)

Nov 6, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #1,179 of 5,364
Quote:
Well the new akg k501 is just coming out this month. Definitely made for those of us with big heads. In fact you get a better seal and thereby better sound with a big noggin. I have the k550. The main difference is the cable and color. The new cable will be shorter (4 feet) and have portable control in the cable. It is very comfortable as well and would top both the senny and beyer we suggested in that category.

What is the k550/k551's sonic signature like?

Nov 7, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #1,180 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi guys,

I have been looking for a IEM's at about 50-60 $ price range.
I live in Europe and I would prefer if I didn't have to buy overseas, could be Ebay but not from HongKong or somewhere as far as that.
I was thinking about Xears because I have read a lot good about them but most of the posts are 4-6 moths old. I have been reading quite a bit about R1 but now I can' see many people recommending them. Could you recommend me some good IEM's in this price range?

I can tell you that I have Beyerdynamic DT 990 + La figaro 336c and love this kind of sound so I guess the IEM's should be somewhat in that direction, it means fun with good bass and overall warm.
I listen to Rock, Rap, Electronic and some pop (Michael Jackson)

Thank you in advance,

Ask me more if it can help giving me some suggestions.

The GR02 sounds like a good fit. The MH1C is pretty good for the price as well, and compete with the rest of the stuff common in your budget as well. I only say this because they're the first things that come to mind when "warm" and "fun" are brought up.

Quote:

I want an all-around headphones but I'm more into jazz and classicals. I will not be using an amp to drive the headphones and the cans will be plugged in to a smartphone.

Edit: My max budget is $200 and I will be using these cans while in commuting(subway train, bus)

I thought my SRH840 had a great tonality for jazz and classical. I also think Doc mentioned the DT1350 being sold used in the for sale forums at that price, and I usually hear good things about them for classical. 

Quote:
Alright, I posted this in the full-sized headphone section, but I also wouldn't mind if it was portable (NOT IEM's.) so I'm posting it here hoping to get a suggestion.
I'm looking to upgrade my HD25-1 II's. I'm looking to spend no more than, (maybe a tiny bit more) $350. I listen to bands such as Rise Against and Breaking Benjamin, but also listen to a lot of acoustic songs. I like punchy bass for drums, but I don't want a ton of bass. What would you guys recommend? Thanks.

Not really much in the way in terms of portable stuff (excluding IEMs, which you specifically ruled out) that could be considered as a complete upgrade to the HD25-1 II. Sidegrades are galore, like the DT1350, K550 (okay, not exactly the most portable, but that what they're targeted as), SRH940, etc. If you're looking for a full-sized as an upgrade, though, the HE-400s are punchy without being excessive, and one of the best choices for a mid-fi can at the moment. Also relatively easier to power, though they'd still like a bit more to sound their best. I'm running them off some speaker taps with the mini-X a-100, which is complete and total overkill, not only for these cans, but for anything other than HE-6/K1000s really. But they do sound great on them. A E10/17 should drive them well enough. Grab the HiFiMANs B-stock at Headroom, plus the E10s at $60, and it barely goes over $400. Other contenders would be the D2000 or the HD650, but the former might not suit acoustic well enough, and the HD650 need considerably more investment for a entire rig (Lowest for these would be 399, add an amp like the Asgard or O2, and yeah, pretty over budget)

Nov 7, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #1,181 of 5,364

Give the V Moda M80 a listen. Last I checked they were carrying them at radioshack believe it or not. You can do a store finder on their website and call ahead to see if they have the demo station in their location.

edit: Oh yea, you were the best buy guy.... They might have one there too.

Nov 7, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #1,183 of 5,364
The GR02 sounds like a good fit. The MH1C is pretty good for the price as well, and compete with the rest of the stuff common in your budget as well. I only say this because they're the first things that come to mind when "warm" and "fun" are brought up.

I thought my SRH840 had a great tonality for jazz and classical. I also think Doc mentioned the DT1350 being sold used in the for sale forums at that price, and I usually hear good things about them for classical. 

Not really much in the way in terms of portable stuff (excluding IEMs, which you specifically ruled out) that could be considered as a complete upgrade to the HD25-1 II. Sidegrades are galore, like the DT1350, K550 (okay, not exactly the most portable, but that what they're targeted as), SRH940, etc. If you're looking for a full-sized as an upgrade, though, the HE-400s are punchy without being excessive, and one of the best choices for a mid-fi can at the moment. Also relatively easier to power, though they'd still like a bit more to sound their best. I'm running them off some speaker taps with the mini-X a-100, which is complete and total overkill, not only for these cans, but for anything other than HE-6/K1000s really. But they do sound great on them. A E10/17 should drive them well enough. Grab the HiFiMANs B-stock at Headroom, plus the E10s at $60, and it barely goes over $400. Other contenders would be the D2000 or the HD650, but the former might not suit acoustic well enough, and the HD650 need considerably more investment for a entire rig (Lowest for these would be 399, add an amp like the Asgard or O2, and yeah, pretty over budget)
Thank you a lot for the reply. I like the looks of the HiFiMAN HE-400, but they're open back. It's not a huge deal that they are, but I wouldn't be able to use them in school. I actually might get those and keep my HD25's as a portable set. Once again, thanks a lot.

Nov 7, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #1,184 of 5,364
could somebody suggest me some in ears with really nice bass and isolation?

i was intrigued by the JVC HA-FX700 but then i realized they're open back, and isolation is an issue for me

i listen to a lot of EDM so bass is pretty important for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back