Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Nov 1, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #1,141 of 5,364
My story:

Used Etymotics ER6 and then HF5 for years...really love their sound, except that I find the bass lacking. So when the cord on my HF5 starts fraying, what do I do? I buy the Future Sonics Atrio MG7, because supposedly these IEMs have amazing bass. And I need bass - I dj as a hobby, and I listen to alot of electronic and rap.

Well, I cannot stand the Atrios. The bass sounds bloated to me, and overpowers the sound signature. Compared to my Etymotics, the Atrios sound muddy completely lacking in midrange, with barely any treble. I don't even think I like the bass - it sounds sloppy compared to the Etymotics.

Obviously, these differences can be chalked up to BA IEM (Etymotic) vs Dynamic driver IEM (Atrio)

So now I am fed up and am going all out - CIEM route.

I thought that a hybrid CIEM would make me happy (maybe Aurisonics AS-2 or Unique Melody Merlin), but I am worried that hybrid CIEMs are more of a preference for some people, rather than being a clearly superior sound. After all, Unique Melody's flagship is not a hybrid, and JH Audio and Heir Audio have not even dabbled in hybrids. So it makes me suspect of hybrid CIEMs in general. If it so great, after all, why wouldn't every CIEM do them?? If Aurisonics or Merlin sounds anything like the Atrio, I am not interested.

So unless you guys can make a compelling case for why hybrid CIEMs are superior, I am tempted to limit my choices to strictly BA type CIEMS.

I see that 1964 Ears has their V6 on right now for an introductory price of $649 - this is very tempting. Does anyone have an idea for how much the price will jump after its over? Or how long this promotion is on for?

If I settle for a 6 driver CIEM like 1964 Ears or UM Miracle, will I really be missing that much over 8 driver options like JH16 or Heir 8.A? At any rate, any CIEM with dedicated BAs for the lows will have much stronger bass than my single BA Etymotics, right? I sure hope so.

Why are the 8.A $150 more than their only 8 driver competitor, JH16? Is 1300 dollars really worth it, or can I get 90% of that sound with the 1964 V6s?

If I don't want to spend over $1k, what about the Heir Audio 4.a? But why would I buy them when I could get the 6 driver CIEM from 1964 Ears for 50 dollars less!!?? Are the 4.a so good that they are better than 6 driver CIEMs from competitors?

How about JH Audio's new Freqphase thing? Does this not render all other CIEMs now technically inferior? If all the hype is to be believed, getting JH Audio CIEMS should be a no-brainer, not just for me, but for everyone. But not everyone is buying JH Audio CIEMS over other brands, so it makes me wonder if the Freqphase technology is really minor and not even noticeable.

EDIT: My budget is 1300 dollars, but I am trying to be thrifty here. I don't want to throw away money on overhyped products. That is why I am looking at the 1964 V6 as possibly the best bang for my buck.   Also, not interested in getting custom tips for Etymotics.  Part of why I am going custom is for the detachable cables.

tl;dr: hybrid or BA CIEM? Any specific CIEM recs for the Etymotic sound but with stronger bass?

Nov 1, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #1,142 of 5,364
Hi All,

I wasn't sure whether or not I should start a new thread for this and in the end decided to post here.

I'm very new to IEMs and have tried a couple pairs without success. I've searched and haven't found someone with a similar problem.

My problem is that I've yet to find a pair of IEMs that actually fit in my ears and will stay in for more than 30 seconds. The smallest ones I've found so far are the MEElectronics M11s with the smallest ear pieces. These will go in my ears but only for a few minutes before popping out, and this is while I'm sitting still with no movement. Is this common or do I have freakishly shaped/small ears?

I know there are custom ear pieces available for higher end headphones, but I'm not willing to spend that much money before I know whether or not they would actually work.

Thanks! Any input is appreciated.

Nov 3, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #1,143 of 5,364
Hi! First of all excuse me for my poor English (I'm Italian) and for having posted almost the same question in the forum before having read the admin's mail.
I am looking for in ear headphones in the "around 150$" range. I listen to ALL genres, so what I am looking for is a high quality, well-balanced headphone, without excessive basses but deep and clear ones, as like as mids and highs.
Another very important aspect to consider is strength. I come from Bose in ears, which lasted 7 years to me: if possible, I'd love to buy a nearly-immortal headphone, to use at home, in travel, in everyday life.
That said, I've restricted the range to Vsonic GR 07 MKII, which seemed the best compromise to me. Nevertheless I've also considered as a possible choice Rockit R-50, DBA-02, Yamaha eph-100, Klipsch S4 II (all rubber-cabled!). What do you think about it? Is it the best choice?
Furthermore, I've found very attractive the kevlar cable of many Fischers (Consonance, Tandem,...) but I haven't been able to understand where do they collocate as sound quality, compared to the previous models. Should I consider them too?
Thank you in advance,

Francesco

Nov 3, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #1,144 of 5,364
Etymotic HF5
Or
Phonak PFE112

That is the question.

I'm a basshead, lemme just gett that out of the way. My favorite pair of IEM's are the Audio Technica CKS-77, with Xears TD4 right behind.

But i'm also a music producer. I make mostly hip hop and rap instrumentals but also have made electromic/dance, and rock-ish. I do it just as a hobby, but mixing and mastering with basshead headphones is never the best method.

Also, i listen to mostly the same genres, with a little bit of jazz and dubstep on there. Most of my music is 260 AAC, but i do have some mp3's from 128 to 320.

So, i've been debating with myself for over 3 months about this, which do i get?

Nov 3, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #1,145 of 5,364
Well, I have been losing recently for a decent pair of sub-$100 headphones, and thought I would ask here since nearly every google search for review directs me here. I have narrowed I my current view down a bit to a few headphones, but would also appreciate any other suggestions.
Currently I am considering three Sennheiser models, and one Klipsch. For the Sennheisers, I have been looking at the HD 219, HD 228, and HD 229, and for the Klipsch the Image ONE. I understand that the 228 and 229 are nearly identical, but was wondering if there were any differences in audio quality as the 228 can be found for a lower price, and I far prefer the black and silver design of them over the newer black and red or white and orange designs on the 228.

I'm really not looking for the best pair of headphones out there, and I'm not looking to use an amplifier either. Just something pretty good under $100. I also have some notes here, things that have been asked on other threads.

I plan to use these on the go, so a closed back with little leakage is important. I will be using these on my hockey team's bus, so it wouldn't hurt to have good noise isolation either. From what I have read, that means a closed headphone is a must.
Mostly I listen to bands like the Foo Fighters, Radiohead, Coldplay, and Linkin Park. Bass is appreciated but not necessarily a priority.

Thanks in advance :)

Nov 3, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #1,146 of 5,364
Quote:
Etymotic HF5
Or
Phonak PFE112
That is the question.
I'm a basshead, lemme just gett that out of the way. My favorite pair of IEM's are the Audio Technica CKS-77, with Xears TD4 right behind.
But i'm also a music producer. I make mostly hip hop and rap instrumentals but also have made electromic/dance, and rock-ish. I do it just as a hobby, but mixing and mastering with basshead headphones is never the best method.
Also, i listen to mostly the same genres, with a little bit of jazz and dubstep on there. Most of my music is 260 AAC, but i do have some mp3's from 128 to 320.
So, i've been debating with myself for over 3 months about this, which do i get?

Neither of those iems will properly resolve the sub-bass. I'd recommend the Sony XBA-3, or the Vsonic GR07.

Nov 3, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #1,147 of 5,364
Hi guys

I am having trouble choosing between Sony XBA-3 and Shure SE425. I like a neutral sound and I mainly listen to pop, alternative rock and a little bit of everything else. 

Is there a better IEM that can meet my needs? Please recommend!! My budget is 330USD 

Thanks! :D

Nov 4, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #1,148 of 5,364
I have a friend looking for bass heavy headphones with a price range of $300 including an amplifier. He does not want IEM's, but headphones that are somewhat portable. He listens to a wide variety of music, from dubstep to country. What would you guys recommend?

Thanks.

Nov 4, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #1,149 of 5,364
I have a friend looking for bass heavy headphones with a price range of $300 including an amplifier. He does not want IEM's, but headphones that are somewhat portable. He listens to a wide variety of music, from dubstep to country. What would you guys recommend?
Thanks.

Phiaton MS400... When EQ'd the bass is quite impressive for a portable on ear. Would work great with country too on a flat eq.

Nov 4, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #1,150 of 5,364

[size=18pt] Circumaural phones with NO LEAKAGE and HIGH ISOLATION - under $150?[/size]

I read the guides but need opinions.. trying to find circumaural phones with EXTREMELY LOW sound leakage, good isolation, and soft earpads (because I wear glasses) -- under $150.. is it possible? thanks!

Nov 5, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #1,151 of 5,364
In my search for light, comfortable on-ear headphones, I have come up with the following shortlist. Based on multiple reviews, I'm leaning towards AKG but they seem to be overpriced. Can anyone suggest anything else? If my focus on AKG is right, which one should I go for? Is K420 worth extra $25? I did also consider Koss PortaPro but the general opinion is that SportaPro improves on the earlier design.

1. AKG K420
  2. AKG K422
  3. JVC HAS150SX
  4. Koss SportaPro

Nov 5, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #1,152 of 5,364
In my search for light, comfortable on-ear headphones, I have come up with the following shortlist. Based on multiple reviews, I'm leaning towards AKG but they seem to be overpriced. Can anyone suggest anything else? If my focus on AKG is right, which one should I go for? Is K420 worth extra $25? I did also consider Koss PortaPro but the general opinion is that SportaPro improves on the earlier design.

• AKG K420
  • AKG K422
  • JVC HAS150SX
  • Koss SportaPro

The portapro and sportapro use the same drivers, so same sound. If I were you, I would get the sportapro and the ksc75's, and then swap the drivers around. To me they both sound awesome in that configuration.

Edit (now that I'm at a computer): I know nothing about the AKG's. I haven't tried the HAS150, but I did try the HAS160 for a week, and to me it didn't come close to the portapro or ksc75's. I love the ksc75's on a headband - really nice mids and good detail. And I really like the portapro (or sportapro) drivers on the ksc75's ear clips (tames the bass a bit for me).

Another option that you should look into is the JVC HA-S400. Here is a thread devoted to it:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/626332/the-new-jvc-ha-s400-30mm-carbon-nanotubes
They are pretty good cans, and $25 is a stupid good price for them.

If you want to spend a bit more, look into the S500's which I have and which really are awesome for the price:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-40mm-carbon-nanotubes

Also, keep your eye on this post:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/625124/over-performing-over-achieving-headphones-iems-for-their-price-range-top-cost-effective-cans-iems

Oh, and sorry for your wallet :)

Nov 5, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #1,153 of 5,364

[size=18pt]Circumaural phones with NO LEAKAGE and HIGH ISOLATION - under $150?[/size]

I read the guides but need opinions.. trying to find circumaural phones with EXTREMELY LOW sound leakage, good isolation, and soft earpads (because I wear glasses) -- under $150.. is it possible? thanks!

I answered this exact post on the other thread.... But now that I see it, you should take a look at forum rules on "cross posting" Thanks.

Nov 5, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #1,154 of 5,364

• AKG K420
  • AKG K422
  • JVC HAS150SX
  • Koss SportaPro
Another option that you should look into is the JVC HA-S400. Here is a thread devoted to it:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/626332/the-new-jvc-ha-s400-30mm-carbon-nanotubes
They are pretty good cans, and $25 is a stupid good price for them.
If you want to spend a bit more, look into the S500's which I have and which really are awesome for the price:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-40mm-carbon-nanotubes
Also, keep your eye on this post:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/625124/over-performing-over-achieving-headphones-iems-for-their-price-range-top-cost-effective-cans-iems

Thanks for linking the thread wayne. +1 on those JVC's (s400 and s500).

Another really great portable that is VERY light, well made, and sounds great is the Vmoda M80. Little more pricey but very nice sounding headphone.

Nov 5, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #1,155 of 5,364
Quote:
Looking for recommendations for IEMs after listening to the MS1is for quite some time. I like their sound but for fit, practicality, and portability reasons, I'm looking for something else to listen to from my laptop and my Galaxy Nexus (microphone/control is a bonus but not necessary).

My budget is <$210.

I listen to a wide variety of music (in no particular order):
  1. acoustic singer/songwriter
  2. ambient/post-rock
  3. indie
  4. classical

Qualities I think I might be looking for in my next purchase:
  1. detail, preferably without sacrificing too much bass
  2. sound stage
  3. low/no microphonics

On one hand I'd like to get a direct upgrade/transfer from the MS1is but on the other hand I'm curious what can be accomplished from a set that have a different sound.  So far in my research, the IEMs that have piqued my interest are:
  1. RE262 (concerns: high impedence = need to buy an amp)
  2. HF5/HF2 (concerns: sacrificing bass to achieve detail)
  3. R-50 (concerns: bass light?)
  4. Ortofon e-Q5 (concerns: fit)

Ideally I'd like to get an IEM that is highly detailed and immersive but is still fun - if that is even possible.  If not, I can always relegate my MS1is to fun and use the IEMs to satisfy the detail freak in me.

Isolation is not a concern but I do have small-ish ears so fit could be (although I have no problem inserting AAA batteries in my ears haha).

I'm open to suggestions outside of these options as well. Thanks!

I typically listen to the same genres, so for those, I would definitely recommend the RE262, or even the RE252 if you can find them used and prefer a slightly less lush sound. PFE122 are also really smooth for acoustic/indie, and proficient enough for post-rock. The RE2*2 have IMO a pretty difficult fit, especially the 252. The PFE fit smaller ears much better. GR07s are pretty good all-rounders as well. My personal favourite at that price though would be the Westone 2. Very balanced yet musical sounding, and usability/ergonomics is out of this world good, like most Westone universals.

Quote:
Thanks.

Look into the new V-Moda M100, it's around that price range. A big thumbs up for the MS400 that Doc suggested as well. 

Quote:
Hi guys

I am having trouble choosing between Sony XBA-3 and Shure SE425. I like a neutral sound and I mainly listen to pop, alternative rock and a little bit of everything else. 

Is there a better IEM that can meet my needs? Please recommend!! My budget is 330USD 

Thanks! :D

SE425s are much more neutral than the XBA-3. For even more of a unrelenting neutral response (albeit with a slight treble emphasis), ER4s. GR07 would be considered around that "neutral" ballpark as well. 

Quote:
Well, I have been losing recently for a decent pair of sub-$100 headphones, and thought I would ask here since nearly every google search for review directs me here. I have narrowed I my current view down a bit to a few headphones, but would also appreciate any other suggestions.
Currently I am considering three Sennheiser models, and one Klipsch. For the Sennheisers, I have been looking at the HD 219, HD 228, and HD 229, and for the Klipsch the Image ONE. I understand that the 228 and 229 are nearly identical, but was wondering if there were any differences in audio quality as the 228 can be found for a lower price, and I far prefer the black and silver design of them over the newer black and red or white and orange designs on the 228.
I'm really not looking for the best pair of headphones out there, and I'm not looking to use an amplifier either. Just something pretty good under $100. I also have some notes here, things that have been asked on other threads.
I plan to use these on the go, so a closed back with little leakage is important. I will be using these on my hockey team's bus, so it wouldn't hurt to have good noise isolation either. From what I have read, that means a closed headphone is a must.
Mostly I listen to bands like the Foo Fighters, Radiohead, Coldplay, and Linkin Park. Bass is appreciated but not necessarily a priority.
Thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Concerning the Senns, I didn't hear a difference out of the demo stands between the 228 and 229. Another decent, easily available choice at that price would be the Uptowns. 

Quote:
Etymotic HF5
Or
Phonak PFE112
That is the question.

Again, a good compromise between the sheer accuracy of the Etys and the smoothness of the Phonaks would be the GR07.

Quote:
Hi All,

I wasn't sure whether or not I should start a new thread for this and in the end decided to post here.

I'm very new to IEMs and have tried a couple pairs without success. I've searched and haven't found someone with a similar problem.

My problem is that I've yet to find a pair of IEMs that actually fit in my ears and will stay in for more than 30 seconds. The smallest ones I've found so far are the MEElectronics M11s with the smallest ear pieces. These will go in my ears but only for a few minutes before popping out, and this is while I'm sitting still with no movement. Is this common or do I have freakishly shaped/small ears?

I know there are custom ear pieces available for higher end headphones, but I'm not willing to spend that much money before I know whether or not they would actually work.

Thanks! Any input is appreciated.

Sigh, my friend has the same problem as well. We got him some MC3s with triple flanges, the fit is very, very deep, so no chance of them popping out anytime soon. Any word on budget?

Quote:
So I have basicly no expirence with IEMs other than the ones that came with my sansa clip+. The only nice pair I have are the Koss Porta Pros. I'd like to get a pair of iems simply for the isolation and added convience of being able to put them in my pocket without almost ripping my pant 
wink_face.gif
 Right now I'm not very sure of what IEM's I should get, I do enjoy my PortaPros, but I'm not sure if it's really my favourite sound signature. To give you an idea of the music I listen to these are some of my favorite songs
Right now I'm considering the Brainwavz R1, seems like it's preety good http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-earphones/brainwavz-r1-dual-dynamic-speaker-in-ear-earphones
I would say my budget is around $50. Thanks guys!

I remember slightly forward mids with the Portapros. In that case, the GR06 are a very mid-centric IEM. 

Quote:
Looking for some help in a portable set.

I have been trying to find a good set of headphones for on the go, I have a pair of ATH-W3000anv for my home needs, and have found a good deal for a pair of ath-w1000, but something tells me that using a full sized can for portable or travel use would encounter problems from a few different angles. The biggest being of course size.

I am a huge stickler for sound quality in headphones, as well as comfort, (I've sold an ath-es10jpn because it was not comfortable for extended periods of time, also a little too bright).  I have tried a few IEM, but most of them I found rather uncomfortable and not very good in sound quality, but that may have been also due to the fact that they were entry level IEM.

I have heard mixed things about customs, but some seems to swear by them, and to be honest I know very little about custom IEM, but this will be something I shall be taking with me fairly often (plane, hotel, etc).  I've seen a few reviews praising the Fitear MH334, but getting that particular one may require a visit to Japan. I may eventually purchase a pair of the Fitear MH334, but that will be in two years or so when I have scheduled a trip to Japan, but I would prefer to have something in the meantime.

Would anyone have any recommendations for IEM that are comfortable to wear for long periods of time and sound very good (if not exceptional). Would you recommend custom IEM over universal or the other way around, and are there any way to get custom IEM that would not involve traveling to a different country for this task. (For reference I am located in California in the USA)

Also has anyone had a chance to try out the fitear TOGO! 334? I have read the reviews on them, but how are they in terms of comfort?  And are there any companies you would recommend at the same level or close to the same level as Fitear? Although I don't mind springing a little extra for the Fitears or others, I would want to keep my budget in the range of $500.00-$1345.00, which is a huge range I know but I rather spend more and get something worthwhile that will last a long time than something cheaper that I will have to replace often.

Any suggestions or recommendations and input would be most appreciated. IEM would be more useful for travel or on the go due to size, but I would not want to sacrifice too much detail or sound quality if it can be avoided.

I will also give a basic overview of my music tastes, in the hopes that it will help with recommendations.

I listen to mostly Pop (Japanese pop mostly, but occasionally Korean or European), usually involving full or partial orchestras, techno (fast paced but not over bassy, synthesizer sequenced, or keyboard mixed)  and symphonic rock and metal, as well as classical. If you want examples of actual artists I can provide that.  I would not want bass to be too overpowering, but I would not want it too weak either, I've heard headphones that have those flaws and with overpowering it feels that it is trying to compensate for lack of definition, but with lack of bass it sounds incomplete, almost wrong in some way.

Thank you to anyone and everyone in advance.

I know this would be a bit low in terms of your budget range, but I really think the W4 would be fantastic for your music. They are extremely forgiving for pop, especially J and K-Pop (can you say treble peaks?), godly with classical (my favourite IEMs for these) and metal. It's a nice, warm sound, with slightly forward, but very refined and yummy mids. The TG334 are much more proficient technically, but the sound sig might not exactly match with some of those genres. Both are pretty comfortable, the Westones have a slight edge on usability, but the build is 1000x better with the FitEars (the shells on these are so perfect and pristine)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back