Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Oct 20, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #1,126 of 5,364
Quote:
Okay, so I've been traipsing around this forum for a bit trying to figure out what I should pick up to replace my modified Shure E2C IEMs. I was given a pair of the E2Cs a few years back and I loved them. I ended up wearing out the cord as anyone who has owned E2Cs knows, so i recabled them and have been using them steadily for about 10 months now. They arent broken, or even wearing out, but I'm getting kind of bored of the sound. They sound good, but not really good enough, and they're lacking in the bass range I look for, what with my music tastes being primarily electronic oriented. 

I'm looking for something in the $50-75 pricerange that can satisfy my need for bass, wide soundstage, and overall sound quality to replace my aging E2Cs. 

I was looking at the following:
FAD Adagio III
BRAINWAVZ M1
Audio Technica CKS77S
and the Sennheiser CX200

Can you folks help me out here? I've not really had the ability to listen to many IEMs, Pretty much going straight from junky headphones to a halfway decent pair of sonys, and then straight to the E2Cs.

secret ninja bump

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #1,127 of 5,364
I'm looking for a custom IEM <$900 to fit my requirements. When browsing through Head-Fi, I found the UM Merlins. Are there any other options I should look at, or are the Merlins my best choice. 

Here’s what I am looking for:

-Build Quality: I want these in ears to last as long as possible, forever maybe, as I won’t be changing IEMs for a long time. I take good care of my headphones, but I will use them very often.

-Noise Isolation: I don't need too much isolation; just average (like 3/5 on a scale of 1-5). It’s nice to filter out background noise, but it poses a safety threat, so I prefer average isolation.

-Comfort: I will be wearing my headphones for many hours at a time, and can listen to 200+ songs without removing them. Sometimes, I sleep with my headphones on. I want a non-fatiguing sound, and I want to feel as if the headphones weren’t there or as they were cushioning my ear.

-Song Genres: I listen to all genres. However I listent to classical, techno, electronic, jazz, rap/hip-hop/pop, rock (occasionally), trance, and popular songs more often. I will also use them for watching videos/movies, conferencing/calling, and gaming.

-Sound Signature: I like my sound to have resolution and seem 3D. Likewise, I value tonal accuracy, clarity, coherence and detail. Words to describe my preferred sound are rich, warm, organic and natural, realistic, transparent, and bright. Punchy bass and treble is important.

-Other Important Information: The source of my audio is usually my Sandisk Sansa Clip+, although at other times it will be my Asus N53SV-XV1 PC, and other times my Android phone (rarely an iPod or iPhone). Keep in mind that I will not be using an amplifier of any kind.

Really looking forward to hearing any feedback! Thanks to all helpful replies I receive!

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #1,128 of 5,364
Hi,
I am looking to buy a pair of headphones to use while on my laptop at home or at my school's library.  I will use these headphones for movies, tv shows, and occasionally music (mostly hip-hop with the occasional piano/soundtrack).  The budget I'm thinking will be in the $60-80 area.  Comfort is important to me because I've noticed my Monster Turbine's weight can be fatiguing after several hours.

I did a little research and found a few headphones that seem like okay choices:
The Creative Aurvana Live! 
Klipsch Image One
V-Moda LP

I'm perfectly fine with buying used headphones

Any opinions or advice would get greatly appreciated! 
biggrin.gif

Oct 21, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #1,129 of 5,364
I currently use a Technics RP DJ1200 headphones, I love the the manner in which the texture of sound is intricate, it's a bit behind on layering and a bit enthusiastic about the treble. I've been facing difficulties carrying it around while travelling especially the prolonged usage causing the pinna to pain. My search to replace the ear pads have been unsuccessful. I'm on the lookout for a new headphone which has to cover the ear rather than rest on pinna, should have sound cancellation and wireless connectivity. I want my music to be undiluted and I really want the textures to be precise and clear, it should have the qualities of Technics- when it comes to sound and also be able to do justice to the bass if I amp up the Equalizer or if I'm listening to Psychedelic Trance.

If anybody could point me in the right direction, it would be a big help.

Thank you,
Shujah.

Oct 21, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #1,130 of 5,364
I've only used full sized headphones (currently SteelSeries 4H) so I'm not sure my preference for in-ear and buds. And I would describe my ears as small and sensitive.

I don't want to spend more than £30 (UKP) using Amazon UK as price source. Relunctant to increase budget in case I don't get on comfort wise with in-ear phones.

The earphones will be used for work, that is very physical. The ability to use a single ear piece at a time is beneficial so I thought the cable threaded over ear style would be advantageous to keep single ear piece in and reduce microphonics (if that's how it works). Making Eelectronic M6 (£20), Soundmagic PL30 (£30) contenders if I can justify price not knowing how comfortable and ease of use they will be for me. Waiting to see if Soundmagic E30 (£40) comes on offer or is cheaper elsewhere.

As for music types, I will be listening to the following in decreasing order:

• Electronic Dance Music, e.g. house, trance, vocal
  • Film original sound tracks and remixes, e.g. Hans Zimmer, Clint Mansell, John Murphy, Junkie XL
  • Game original music and remixes - most will fall in the above two sound types and some in ambient.
  • Ambient
  • Pop music

Thanks in advance.

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #1,131 of 5,364
Hello!

I'm looking for a pair of over-ear headphones that have a strong bass end but I don't want to comprimise over all sound quality. My budget is £200, preferrably around £150 as I'd like to get a portable amp too, to get the most out of the headphones as I'll be listening to them through either my laptop or my Samsung Galaxy SII. They need to be closed as I can't have noise leaking out whilst im at school etc.
I listen to alot of DnB and Dubstep (hence the need for good low end quality) but I also listen to songs from all different genres, which is why i need a good all round headphone.

From my 'research' I'm currently looking at a few headphones;

ATH M50 £133.99
Ultrasone PRO750 - £221 Over budget but may get away with it...
ATH-PRO700MK2 £149
Ultrasone HFI 780 £149

I have no idea if one of the cheaper Fiio amps would work or not, I was looking at the Fiio E7 on Amazon for £60 which allows me £140 for headphones, which may work, with the above listed headphones being close to that figure.
Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #1,133 of 5,364
Looking for recommendations for IEMs after listening to the MS1is for quite some time. I like their sound but for fit, practicality, and portability reasons, I'm looking for something else to listen to from my laptop and my Galaxy Nexus (microphone/control is a bonus but not necessary).

My budget is <$210.

I listen to a wide variety of music (in no particular order):
  1. acoustic singer/songwriter
  2. ambient/post-rock
  3. indie
  4. classical

Qualities I think I might be looking for in my next purchase:
  1. detail, preferably without sacrificing too much bass
  2. sound stage
  3. low/no microphonics

On one hand I'd like to get a direct upgrade/transfer from the MS1is but on the other hand I'm curious what can be accomplished from a set that have a different sound.  So far in my research, the IEMs that have piqued my interest are:
  1. RE262 (concerns: high impedence = need to buy an amp)
  2. HF5/HF2 (concerns: sacrificing bass to achieve detail)
  3. R-50 (concerns: bass light?)
  4. Ortofon e-Q5 (concerns: fit)

Ideally I'd like to get an IEM that is highly detailed and immersive but is still fun - if that is even possible.  If not, I can always relegate my MS1is to fun and use the IEMs to satisfy the detail freak in me.

Isolation is not a concern but I do have small-ish ears so fit could be (although I have no problem inserting AAA batteries in my ears haha).

I'm open to suggestions outside of these options as well. Thanks!

Oct 23, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #1,134 of 5,364
Looking for some help in a portable set.

I have been trying to find a good set of headphones for on the go, I have a pair of ATH-W3000anv for my home needs, and have found a good deal for a pair of ath-w1000, but something tells me that using a full sized can for portable or travel use would encounter problems from a few different angles. The biggest being of course size.

I am a huge stickler for sound quality in headphones, as well as comfort, (I've sold an ath-es10jpn because it was not comfortable for extended periods of time, also a little too bright).  I have tried a few IEM, but most of them I found rather uncomfortable and not very good in sound quality, but that may have been also due to the fact that they were entry level IEM.

I have heard mixed things about customs, but some seems to swear by them, and to be honest I know very little about custom IEM, but this will be something I shall be taking with me fairly often (plane, hotel, etc).  I've seen a few reviews praising the Fitear MH334, but getting that particular one may require a visit to Japan. I may eventually purchase a pair of the Fitear MH334, but that will be in two years or so when I have scheduled a trip to Japan, but I would prefer to have something in the meantime.

Would anyone have any recommendations for IEM that are comfortable to wear for long periods of time and sound very good (if not exceptional). Would you recommend custom IEM over universal or the other way around, and are there any way to get custom IEM that would not involve traveling to a different country for this task. (For reference I am located in California in the USA)

Also has anyone had a chance to try out the fitear TOGO! 334? I have read the reviews on them, but how are they in terms of comfort?  And are there any companies you would recommend at the same level or close to the same level as Fitear? Although I don't mind springing a little extra for the Fitears or others, I would want to keep my budget in the range of $500.00-$1345.00, which is a huge range I know but I rather spend more and get something worthwhile that will last a long time than something cheaper that I will have to replace often.

Any suggestions or recommendations and input would be most appreciated. IEM would be more useful for travel or on the go due to size, but I would not want to sacrifice too much detail or sound quality if it can be avoided.

I will also give a basic overview of my music tastes, in the hopes that it will help with recommendations.

I listen to mostly Pop (Japanese pop mostly, but occasionally Korean or European), usually involving full or partial orchestras, techno (fast paced but not over bassy, synthesizer sequenced, or keyboard mixed)  and symphonic rock and metal, as well as classical. If you want examples of actual artists I can provide that.  I would not want bass to be too overpowering, but I would not want it too weak either, I've heard headphones that have those flaws and with overpowering it feels that it is trying to compensate for lack of definition, but with lack of bass it sounds incomplete, almost wrong in some way.

Thank you to anyone and everyone in advance.

Oct 24, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #1,135 of 5,364
Quote:

I listen to mostly Pop (Japanese pop mostly, but occasionally Korean or European), usually involving full or partial orchestras, techno (fast paced but not over bassy, synthesizer sequenced, or keyboard mixed)  and symphonic rock and metal, as well as classical. If you want examples of actual artists I can provide that.  I would not want bass to be too overpowering, but I would not want it too weak either, I've heard headphones that have those flaws and with overpowering it feels that it is trying to compensate for lack of definition, but with lack of bass it sounds incomplete, almost wrong in some way.

Thank you to anyone and everyone in advance.

80% of my music is either J-pop J-Rock or Anisongs and I've used the TG334s for about a month and decided to return it. I find the TG 334 really good with J-pop but not so well with J-Rock( or generally J-pop with lots of electric guitar involved in it).  I also ordered a pair of JH-16s thats coming in a few weeks so if you still haven't made up your decision by then, I can report on how I like those. Feel free to give me a few example J-pop that you listen to then I might be able to help.

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #1,136 of 5,364
Quote:
80% of my music is either J-pop J-Rock or Anisongs and I've used the TG334s for about a month and decided to return it. I find the TG 334 really good with J-pop but not so well with J-Rock( or generally J-pop with lots of electric guitar involved in it).  I also ordered a pair of JH-16s thats coming in a few weeks so if you still haven't made up your decision by then, I can report on how I like those. Feel free to give me a few example J-pop that you listen to then I might be able to help.

Most Jpop stuff I listen to is doujin based, so bands like Sound Horizon, Shoujo Byou, Lantis.  Some Anisongs, but often remixes or vocal tracks. Vocaloid/Hatsune Miku (supercell, RYO,)

Jrock varies, but M.O.V.E., Screw, Malice Mizer & X japan. I tend to listen to more orchestral metal bands (i.e. symphonic metal) i.e. Nightwish, Sonata Arctica.

What was wrong with the TG 334 in regards to Jrock. Any IEM that you would recommend for these genres? I usually use my ath-W3000anv to listen to those, which sounds amazing in might I add, but a bit ridiculous for on the go or traveling.

Oct 24, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #1,137 of 5,364
Hey guys,

don't mean to interrupt or anything, but I'm getting my ear impressions done in 15 hours. I'm gonna send these to LiveWires for their dual-drivers. I chose LiveWires because the price is right!
But as of late I haven't seen any recent reviews as old as 2011. I heard that companies switched or something, some thread called "RIP Livewires." It just seems like they're not really active on Head-fi, which is weird to me for some reason. But I got a prompt reply by email from the company, so I'm assuming they're still an active company.

Am I headed in the right direction for my first custom IEMs? All the other customs are like $325 or more, not including ear impressions. 
How does this compare to buying Triple.fi 10s and having them remolded? Cost-wise & soundwise? 
And does anyone have any good (or even bad) things to say about Livewires? It looks pretty promising, but I'd just like some reassurance 
etysmile.gif

I had some UE 900s but returned them because of fit... and that's why I'm getting customs now haha

Thank you head-fiers, much appreciated! Cheers

Oct 26, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #1,139 of 5,364
So I have basicly no expirence with IEMs other than the ones that came with my sansa clip+. The only nice pair I have are the Koss Porta Pros. I'd like to get a pair of iems simply for the isolation and added convience of being able to put them in my pocket without almost ripping my pant 
wink_face.gif
 Right now I'm not very sure of what IEM's I should get, I do enjoy my PortaPros, but I'm not sure if it's really my favourite sound signature. To give you an idea of the music I listen to these are some of my favorite songs

Right now I'm considering the Brainwavz R1, seems like it's preety good http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-earphones/brainwavz-r1-dual-dynamic-speaker-in-ear-earphones
I would say my budget is around $50. Thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back