Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Aug 31, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #1,052 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello all!

I am new to this whole "head-fi" world but have been obsessively reading the forums here for the past couple weeks. I am looking to spend around $200 (maybe $300) for a great pair of portable (or semi portable) headphones that I can drive through my iphone 4. The catch is I really don't want to invest in an amp at this time. So I'm looking for headphones that can be powered adequately (able to reach near their full potential-volume, separation, clear highs, mids, lows)) through just the phone. Maybe this is impossible. I don't know. I listen to a lot of acoustic music (folk, bluegrass, classical, jazz), but also indie rock and punk.  

As a novice, I don't know how to describe the sound I am looking for other than "full, open, airy and well balanced". As for the portability, I should say I don't mind having a somewhat bulky headphone if the sound merits the bulk and they are still comfortable and able to move with me. They do not need to be closed. I am open to either option.

Thanks in advance for your input and I apologize if I am recreating an existing similiar thread, but as I said I have been reading for weeks and haven't quite found what I'm looking for exactly! Please help!

Any thoughts about these? Others?

HD 25 II

AKG K271MKII

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

This forum is becoming less and less popular since I've seen it in action, so I would really advise looking at ljokerl's 250 IEM review.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-250-iems-compared-ultimate-ears-100-added-08-20-12

Mostly only read the Pro's/Con's and maybe Sound as you go through because it definitely can be a long read. Once you find something you think you might like, usually IEMs have around 3 reviews and a few ok threads about their sound.

I've only owned a pair of $8 Skullcandy's, and $600 Refurbished Denon D7000's so don't take my information on specific details too highly, it's just what I've heard after spending days on the forums.
VSonic's GR07 seems to be a well rounded headphone, though I just read through that thread I linked you to so I'm not sure if it reaches full potential without an amp or not. It has one of the longer "burn in" periods going above 100 hours. During the burn in period it is said to have a lot of sibilance and the lower treble slowly becomes smooth. It does have that airy and open space feel to it as you said you'd want.

I'm ordering today the HiFiMan's RE-0. Very analytical, very accurate, and quick. I hear there's almost no warmness to it's sound, which I could like because I believe my D7000's are a pretty natural sounding headphone to me. It's said to have unmatched treble, and can go endlessly higher. I haven't heard it myself yet, but the bass needs a little boost from the FiiO's E5 or 6 as a cheap little handheld amp (so it looks on the pics). It has a somewhat closed spacious feel to it because of the tips.

Then HiFiMan's RE-262 is pretty opposite of the RE-0. Very warm sounding. Probably one of the most wide and open soundstages out there for an IEM. You can depict where an instrument is playing and what it is (so I've heard). It's glory is the upfront mids where you can hear the singer as if they're singing to you personally, but not too personal. Everything is pretty well balanced. The drawback that's keeping me away from the 262 is that I hear they're a little too warm and smooth for punk and upbeat music. It sounds as if the music is going slower. Now it doesn't actually slow down the tempo, but I can't very well explain this. It's just a concept that it's not a quick and precise kind of headphone. They smooth out sound. Another drawback to this headphone is that it is power hungry. You basically need an amp for long periods of listening.

Remember I've only read (A LOT), and have not heard any of these headphones myself.

EDIT: For ljokerl's thread, use the "Ctrl + F" function if you have specific headphones in mind. Also, at the bottom of his thread he has a table with numbers summarizing price, build, microphonics, sound, and a couple more. That's how I first found out about RE-0, is the table.

Aug 31, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #1,055 of 5,364
I'm going to get some ACS custom tips but can't decide what IEMs to go with. I would like a warm and smooth sounding set of headphones that have fairly forward vocals and a nice amount of bass (more than neutral) with a bit of punch to it. Heres the ACS compatibility list: http://www.hearingprotection.co.uk/images/ACS-Custom-Earphones.pdf

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #1,057 of 5,364
Quote:
I'm going to get some ACS custom tips but can't decide what IEMs to go with. I would like a warm and smooth sounding set of headphones that have fairly forward vocals and a nice amount of bass (more than neutral) with a bit of punch to it. Heres the ACS compatibility list: http://www.hearingprotection.co.uk/images/ACS-Custom-Earphones.pdf

I might be giving you a wrong advice, I think the decription fits a Westone 4, but in this case it  would probably be better to use an UM56 custom tip since I don't know if ACS tips would be compatible, although it seems compatible with Shure's SE535 so probably they would fit the W4 also.

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #1,058 of 5,364
Thanks but unfortunately the UM56 isn't really an option, it's more expensive and I don't want the hassle of sending impressions forwards and backwards abroad (especially to the US). I really want the silicone material that ACS offer plus there are lots of positive reviews. Isolation and fit are really important so out of the ACS list it has to be over ear so they are more flush in my ears and this pretty much leaves the IE8s which I feel will have too much bass for me or the Shure series. I currently use HD558s which are said to be flat but detailed over ears with aerate clarity which is pushing me towards the 535s. With customs the base should be improved and so should be adequate, would you agree? (I could also tweak them with EQ settings) but to me this seems like the only option without going down the custom route which I don't want to do to get a flush fitting IEM with ACS custom tips wouldn't you agree?

Aug 31, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #1,059 of 5,364
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum but from what I've been sifting through it seems like a nifty little treasure-trove of information. 

Right now I have 300 dollars to spend on a pair of headphones. I'm looking for headphones that I can carry around and use in public occasionally, but also use at home and in the car. I mainly listen to Electronic music and dubstep, along with some punk and classic rock. I prefer a deep bass. Is there any suggestions anyone has? Keep in mind that I do plan on purchasing an headphone amp in the future.

Sep 1, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #1,060 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum but from what I've been sifting through it seems like a nifty little treasure-trove of information. 

Right now I have 300 dollars to spend on a pair of headphones. I'm looking for headphones that I can carry around and use in public occasionally, but also use at home and in the car. I mainly listen to Electronic music and dubstep, along with some punk and classic rock. I prefer a deep bass. Is there any suggestions anyone has? Keep in mind that I do plan on purchasing an headphone amp in the future.

are you looking for in-ear headphones or on ear type?

Sep 1, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #1,062 of 5,364
Hi, I'm currently using a Westone One with a Cowon J3.

I've used Shure SE215 / E3 / E5, Westone 1 / 3.

I use my IEM mostly for working out and I listen to Metal / Rave music at loud volume.
I like my treble and bass high.

I've ruined a couple of IEMs from sweat getting in as well as my cat gnawing off the wires.
Could you guys recommend me something with a long wire, durable, super snug fit (don't want it to fall out during exercise or have sweat seep in), and below $150?

I would like to spend more on IEMs but my track record so far is ruining one every year....

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #1,063 of 5,364
Hello,

So... I've tried doing some research. I don't want IEMs because I have ear problems with them. Here's what I basically need:

• Portable. These headphones need to be portable enough to put inside a backpack filled with textbooks. Another key here is durability, so they won't break while I'm carrying them around. They won't be under the books, but they'll be between the top of the books and the zipper of the backpack.
  • Isolating. I'm going to be on a loud school bus a lot while listening to them, as well as on a plane sometimes. I don't like my music loud (I'm prone to hearing loss), so I really want them to isolate well so I don't have to turn my music up that loud.

Now, comfort. Comfort isn't as much of an issue... I'll never listen to them upwards of an hour. However, if the comfort issue can't be fixed by bending the metal strip at the top upwards repeatedly (to lessen clamping force), it starts to be more of an issue. I think my head is fairly average, maybe on the larger side. This shouldn't be much of an issue.

Aesthetics. This will play a TINY part, but it should be considered a LITTLE. Basically, between two very similar headphones, the one that looks better will probably win. I don't really like the look of headphones that have the brand and version of headphones and other stuff on the headphones (like the SONY V-6), but that does NOT play a significant part in my headphone selection (if the SONY V-6 was the best by far, I'd get it). 

Sound. This is, of course, important. I am NOT an audiophile by any means. I have no amp. My portable music player is a Philips GoGear Aria 8GB (for which I can't find the output for headphones in ohms... I'll assume 32) or possibly (if I can find it) an iPod Nano (5th generation with the large screen and clickwheel right before they made them crappy touchscreens). Because of this, tiny differences (which aren't that tiny to you guys probably) won't make much of a difference. I'm "youth" (as you could probably tell) so I do, of course, like some more bass in my music. Here is the music I listen to:
  1. Electronic (more drum & bass)
  2. Club/Dance
  3. Hip Hop
  4. Rap
  5. Pop (Lady Gaga and Michael Jackson, that kind of thing)
  6. Rock (Beatles, Queen, Rolling Stones... y'know... the good stuff. The sound quality for this isn't as important because the music I have for these is in a lower format, so headphones won't make much of a difference)
  7. European "groove" (not sure what it is really called, but I like it. Kinda chill music... maybe downtempo? Here's an example of the type of music in English for you guys.

So I've done some research. I've come up with some possible contenders:

SONY V-6 (these are almost TOO expensive)

AKG K 518 LE (same as K81DJ)

Philips O'Neill "The Stretch"... cheapest of the bunch

I now have one more thing to add to the lineup. This is quite a bit more pricey, and I'd only think about these if they had GREAT isolation, but... the ATH-WS55 BASS

I'm REALLY leaning towards the ATH-WS55s ($80 on Best Buy)

Hopefully this wasn't too long! Thanks!

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #1,064 of 5,364
Quote:
sorry, should have specified. I'm looking for an over ear type. I think I am going to go with the Denon AH-D1100s. Will these suit my needs? Also note that I'm limited what my local store has to offer. (I have a gift certificate)

Quote:

Quote:
sorry, should have specified. I'm looking for an over ear type. I think I am going to go with the Denon AH-D1100s. Will these suit my needs? Also note that I'm limited what my local store has to offer. (I have a gift certificate)

It seems that my local shop only has the AH-D110BKs. Does that make a difference? I looked it up but I couldn't find much.

Sep 3, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #1,065 of 5,364
Hey guys, I'm kinda new to this... I have a pair of Skullcandy Titans and am curious if anybody knows of a pair of earbuds that would be better than them for the price ($20). I'm sure there are, everyone seems to be hatin' on Skullcandy for some reason, but for 20 bucks they sound great in my opinion. So in case these break or I decide to upgrade to a better pair, what are my options? I like bassy music like techno if that helps...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back