Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 23, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #721 of 5,364
Say, at about 60$, which is the better IEM: VSonic GR06 or the MEElectronics A151? I listen to metal, rock, classic, jazz and abit pop, but I don't need a very heavy bass.

May 23, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #722 of 5,364
Quote:
Say, at about 60$, which is the better IEM: VSonic GR06 or the MEElectronics A151? I listen to metal, rock, classic, jazz and abit pop, but I don't need a very heavy bass.

I've only heard the GR06. Wouldn't pick it for classical, but quite nice with acoustics, folk, and jazz. I don't know if it has the speed for metal. Why don't you ask on the last page ljokerl's thread? He is great with such things and will probably get you an answer today: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-238-iems-compared-astrotec-am-90-added-05-21-12

May 23, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #723 of 5,364
May 23, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #724 of 5,364
Hisoundaudio Popo IEMs??

I listen to mostly metal, dubstep, classic rock, and jazz. Also my price range is $70 or under. I'm looking for IEM's that are both as clear as possible, and also bass-heavy and warm. I'd also like them to sound as open/wide as possible for the price range, I believe that is called soundstage. (noob)

Are these the best choice for me? What are my other options???

Also, where can I buy them??

THANKS!!

May 23, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #725 of 5,364
Hi all,

I'm interested in getting some custom IEMs. I'm going to using this with a Ipod 5.5g > sohfatfish LOD > PA2V2 > IEM. I listen to a wide range of music. Mostly electronica and kpop though. I'm looking for something neutral sounding with clarity and some bass.

My price range is about 200-300$. I would like to keep it closer to 200$ though.

Thanks,
Index

May 23, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #726 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi all,

I'm interested in getting some custom IEMs. I'm going to using this with a Ipod 5.5g > sohfatfish LOD > PA2V2 > IEM. I listen to a wide range of music. Mostly electronica and kpop though. I'm looking for something neutral sounding with clarity and some bass.

My price range is about 200-300$. I would like to keep it closer to 200$ though.

Thanks,
Index

There are not many customs in your price range. There are two possibilities I know of: Alclair (http://www.alclair.com/products/) and Clear Tune Monitors (http://www.cleartunemonitors.com/Products/ctm/index.html)  average_joe reviewed one of Alclair's more expensive customs recently: http://www.head-fi.org/t/541494/multi-custom-iem-review-resource-mfg-list-discussion-20-reviews-spiral-ear-5-way-added-5-15-12 and ljokerl has reviewed one of clear tune monitors: http://www.head-fi.org/t/581273/review-clear-tune-monitors-ctm-200-dual-driver-custom. Regarding your sound signature and music preference, probably best to contact the companies and see what they recommend. Remember that ear impressions will cost you, too so you're price range may not be feasible. 

You may be able to get something like the Etymotic HF5 and custom tips for that price. 

May 23, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #727 of 5,364
Just lost my Ultimate Ear Triple.fi 10 earphones and I need a replacement. 

What I liked about the UE10:
- the sound (not that bass heavy, clear highs)
- the isolation (when the seal was good)

What I didn't like:
- poor fit, the seal always broke and they'd even fall out when I moved a lot, such as during housework
- low quality cable. I went through 4 cables over the years and finally got a 3rd party one.

I listen to mostly classic and progressive rock, some classical, lots of spoken audio (audiobooks, podcasts). I'll almost exclusively use my iPhone and I have an amp if necessary (HeadAmp Pico) though I usually keep that at home at my desk. My budget is ~$350.

I was looking at the Westone 3 but they are supposedly very bassy, which I don't want. I've also heard less than great things about the fit. Maybe something by Shure? Other suggestions?

May 23, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #728 of 5,364
Quote:
Just lost my Ultimate Ear Triple.fi 10 earphones and I need a replacement. 

What I liked about the UE10:
- the sound (not that bass heavy, clear highs)
- the isolation (when the seal was good)

What I didn't like:
- poor fit, the seal always broke and they'd even fall out when I moved a lot, such as during housework
- low quality cable. I went through 4 cables over the years and finally got a 3rd party one.

I listen to mostly classic and progressive rock, some classical, lots of spoken audio (audiobooks, podcasts). I'll almost exclusively use my iPhone and I have an amp if necessary (HeadAmp Pico) though I usually keep that at home at my desk. My budget is ~$350.

I was looking at the Westone 3 but they are supposedly very bassy, which I don't want. I've also heard less than great things about the fit. Maybe something by Shure? Other suggestions?

Do you like the mids/vocals of the triple.fi? If so, I think you could be quite happy with the W3. I found the bass comparable, but I didn't have them at the same time; they are both "fun" v-shaped frequency iems. If you want richer mids, I'd consider the SE535, though the highs aren't anywhere near as sparkly; the bass on the SE535 is very well controlled and extended. 

May 23, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #729 of 5,364
Quote:

There is a used Westone 4R that just came up in the for sale thread here yesterday. $360 w/ an hours use.

Westone 4R is tough to beat. What kind of music do you listen to? Depending on the kind of music, my current favorite is the GR10.

I'm a bit ecletic, ranging from but not only : Classical(Beethoven, Mozart, Rachmaninov...), Barroque(Bach, Telleman,...), Bossa Nova, Jazz(Instrumental and vocal, I'm a fan of piano Jazz), Classical Rock, Prog. Metal(e.g. Dream Theater), J-pop/J-music

I'm not fan of "Disco" Bass, I think that the correct name would be boomy bass, it's really bothersome, but in the end I found out that I lake a more definite/detailed bass. I tried the westones w2, w3 and w4. I thought that the W2 was something like my HF5 with a bit more bass. The westone 3 sounded incredibly energetic, what was something that I did like but occurred to me that I could simply want to trow it far if my mood was not that good.

The westone 4 was something that was simply there, in the right place. In the same time that I loved the level of detail, the bass clean, the highs were beautiful and all around it sounded enjoyable, without beeing dry nor over-energetic, like the westone 3 sounded.

I tried some others, like Shure SE425 and SE535 and ended up with a mixed feeling about them, my impression is that maybe I didn't had a good source for them, I used a sansa clip zip without amp, but they didn't wowed me nor anything of the sort. I want to hear them again with a bit more time and care.

May 24, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #730 of 5,364
Quote:

Do you like the mids/vocals of the triple.fi? If so, I think you could be quite happy with the W3. I found the bass comparable, but I didn't have them at the same time; they are both "fun" v-shaped frequency iems. If you want richer mids, I'd consider the SE535, though the highs aren't anywhere near as sparkly; the bass on the SE535 is very well controlled and extended. 

I liked the sound all around, including the mids. A lot of the music I listen to is more instrumental than vocal so it doesn't bother me if they lack in the mids. I'm also considering the Westone UM3X since a coupon puts them in my price range. I keep hearing about the boomy bass of the W3s which kind of turns me off.

May 24, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #732 of 5,364
Hello there!

I have had 2 IEMs till date. The Creative EP 630 and the Sony MDR-EX57 SL.

I'm looking for headphones now, though. I saw and liked the AKG K 450. It also has good reviews spread over the web.

What are the other options I have considering I would want them to be portable, and in and around the $100 price range?

Also, without the need of an amplifier, preferably. I'll be using them with my laptop and iPod Touch.

May 24, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #733 of 5,364
Quote:

I liked the sound all around, including the mids. A lot of the music I listen to is more instrumental than vocal so it doesn't bother me if they lack in the mids. I'm also considering the Westone UM3X since a coupon puts them in my price range. I keep hearing about the boomy bass of the W3s which kind of turns me off.

Here is what ljokerl in his massive review thread said about the bass of the W3 in contrast to the TF10: "The UE TF10, another impactful triple-armature, sounds a bit more ‘punchy’ and has better depth than the W3 but lacks the sheer bass slam and volume of the Westones – the W3 is definitely ‘bassier’ in the conventional sense. It can be a little excessive, depending on track and personal preferences. There is a hint of mid/upper-bass bloat, making the W3 sound just a touch muddy compared to tight-and-fast dual armature models (CK10, DBA-02, q-JAYS, etc)." Maybe you won't like the bass...But I'd really stay away from the UM3X. It is more mids centered and has quite the mid bass bleed w/ recessed treble. Really don't think you'd like it.

Have you thought about making customs out of the triple.fi 10? You might also be a good candidate for the JH5 customs; sounds like you would really like their sound signature. It would be a little out of your price range, but could be an investment. They normally do sales a couple of times a year; last year they had one at the end of may. That would bring your price right around 350 and then you'd just have to pay for impressions.

But I'd still try picking up a used W3. It does a V shaped sound signature well and is way more comfy (and I think durable) than the TF10.

May 24, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #734 of 5,364
Quote:

Have you thought about making customs out of the triple.fi 10? You might also be a good candidate for the JH5 customs; sounds like you would really like their sound signature. It would be a little out of your price range, but could be an investment. They normally do sales a couple of times a year; last year they had one at the end of may. That would bring your price right around 350 and then you'd just have to pay for impressions.

But I'd still try picking up a used W3. It does a V shaped sound signature well and is way more comfy (and I think durable) than the TF10.

You mean buying new triple.fi 10s and getting them customized? Not a bad idea considering the price they go for on Amazon.

There are some like-new W4s on sale here that fall in my price range, too. I may give those a shot. Overall, I'll keep my eyes open for the W3s and make a decision within the next few days. Worst case I can return or resell them :) Thanks for the advice.

May 25, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #735 of 5,364
Kept on reading reviews and was getting sucked in way too much. Before endangering my wallet too much, I pulled the trigger on the Westone 3 (with coupon just under $300 from earphonesolutions) and I think I'll be very happy. Gotta stop overthinking this stuff and just enjoy the music :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back