Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 15, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #676 of 5,364
Quote:

Kind of in the same boat. I'm also mostly a classical music listener, w/ a hodgepodge of other stuff thrown in. My best recommendation for you (from among those I've tried) is the Grado GR10. I'm considering buying the GR10 again; I'd recommend it for you based on your description of how you want the treble to not be overshadowed by w/ the bass. The treble on the GR10 is very good, mids are stellar and the bass is satisfying, though its weak point if it has one. They are incredibly detailed iem w/ amazing clarity. And yet somehow so musical. I haven't heard the SE420 but from what I've read the GR10 should have better bass.  I've also been recently recommended the FA-BA-SB so that could be something to explore. I believe the 1964-T would be too bassy for you, though I've never had customs; I've similarly considered the CTM-200, based off of ljokerl's recommendation. If you see the end of that review thread, he answered some questions similar to you that I've been asking. I've explored and asked questions about other entry level customs, and it seems to be the best neutral custom you can get at that price point.

Another thing in the GR10's favor is that it really doesn't need to be amped. Having done some kind of amping most of this last year, its kind of nice just to plug in your iem and go.

Thanks! That's super helpful. Do you think something like a CTM-200 would definitely need amplification to get the sound I want? I'm fine with carrying around a small portable amp, but in terms of my budget I just need to be aware of what other purchases I would need to make in order to get the sound I want. I can't spent $500 on good earphones if I need to also spend $200 on an amp.

The GR10's look like a really good option. What sort of amps would you recommend, though, either for the GR10's if you DID get an amp with that, or for something like the CTM-200s which might need to be amped. And is an Ipod 5 Gen a good enough source for this level of IEM? I've considered getting a Cowon J3 or something similar to serve as a better source, but I don't know how much of a difference that will make.

May 18, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #677 of 5,364
Let's make it short and easy:

My Spider Realvoice was broken so im obviosly need an upgrade!
My music preferences are mostly Blues/Hiphop/R&B so i guess im looking for an earphone set which can provide an overall warm and sweet sound with full punchy (but controlled) bass, allong with some detailed mids. The most importent thing is that the sound want be to dry or with a harsh treble - cause im allergic to this ****!

these are my options so far (the budget is 50-80 bucks):

- Vsonic gr06 
- ‪Fischer Audio Eterna‬
- Sunrise Xcape IE

what do you think?

*and sorry for the poor languag - im sick of google translate..

May 19, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #678 of 5,364
I listen to rock and metal, mostly black, death and trash. I also listen to classical music a bit but not as much as metal (Various kinds of symphonic metal also). I have an iPod Touch which I use with Sennheiser CX500. I have a small budget and thinking about a buying another pair of IEMs. Also make some recommendations in similar price range please. Thanks.

Klipsich Image S4
Shure SE115
NuForce NE-770X
Ultimate Ears 400 or Metro.fi 220
tJays three or aJays four
AKG Q350 or K390
Some Xears models in price range

May 19, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #679 of 5,364
Howdy, I've begun thinking about returning to a workout schedule and need a pair of clip-ons or IEMs to help motivate me. I don't really work out to classical music or jazz, so I am looking for something that can play electronic music, hip-hop and a bit of rock decently. A big factor I am looking for is isolation (gym I go to has some loud, obnoxious music) and durability - it'd be nice to have it last. Budget is ~50 USD, thanks fellas.

May 19, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #680 of 5,364
*Need a simple IEM with microphone*

I have a pair of InEarz custom re-molded TF10vi's that I'm happy with.  But when I had them remolded, I decided to use UE custom sockets instead of TF10 sockets, hence I no longer have the microphone on these.  I'd also prefer to keep these for plane flights, usage at home, etc.

But I'm often on conference calls while driving.  I'm currently using basic apple buds for those, but the audio quality is poor and I can't hear others well unless ears are on.  Here's what I'm looking for:

1)  Microphone for phone calls
2)  durable IEMs (non-IEMs are ok too) but they have to be portable
3)  Music quality isn't a huge requirement as I have my custom TF10s, but I don't want them to be complete crap either
4)  Not overly expensive, maybe under $40 as I'd like to get a few of these, one for my work bag, one for each car (california requires headsets while driving)
5)  Bluetooth is a bonus.  I'm still not sold on BT audio quality, e.g., Jabra, jawbone, etc.
6)  noise cancellation for microphone would be another bonus.  I don't think my apple buds do noise cancellation for mic, and people don't seem to complain.

If they are IEMs, I won't be using both ears when driving.  Just when I'm at a starbucks, etc.

Thanks a bunch!

May 19, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #681 of 5,364
Quote:
*Need a simple IEM with microphone*

I have a pair of InEarz custom re-molded TF10vi's that I'm happy with.  But when I had them remolded, I decided to use UE custom sockets instead of TF10 sockets, hence I no longer have the microphone on these.  I'd also prefer to keep these for plane flights, usage at home, etc.

But I'm often on conference calls while driving.  I'm currently using basic apple buds for those, but the audio quality is poor and I can't hear others well unless ears are on.  Here's what I'm looking for:

1)  Microphone for phone calls
2)  durable IEMs (non-IEMs are ok too) but they have to be portable
3)  Music quality isn't a huge requirement as I have my custom TF10s, but I don't want them to be complete crap either
4)  Not overly expensive, maybe under $40 as I'd like to get a few of these, one for my work bag, one for each car (california requires headsets while driving)
5)  Bluetooth is a bonus.  I'm still not sold on BT audio quality, e.g., Jabra, jawbone, etc.
6)  noise cancellation for microphone would be another bonus.  I don't think my apple buds do noise cancellation for mic, and people don't seem to complain.

If they are IEMs, I won't be using both ears when driving.  Just when I'm at a starbucks, etc.

Thanks a bunch!

Here you go:

http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-M6P-BK-Sound-Isolating-Headphones-Smartphones/dp/B003VTZPO8

May 20, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #682 of 5,364
Hey everyone. My girlfriend can't appreciate the difference in sound quality or picture quality. To give you an example of how bad it is, we saw Avatar playing on a tv channel one day. I thought this was the perfect chance to show her that there IS difference in picture. I showed her standard tv, then an HD channel -she didn't notice a difference. THEN I showed her standard again, and put in the blu-ray in. She didn't think there was a difference in picture quality.
She never wears headphones because they bother her ears, but today I saw her wearing Phillips SHE4500 in-ears. Are there any other headphones that fit just like these? She loves music so I want to buy her some decent headphones so she would listen to her music with those for a while. Then when she gets use to them I'll have her listen to the Phillips SHE4500 again and hopefully she'll hear the difference.

She listens to mostly rap, hip-hop, R&B, Indie, and almost any song between the 20'-60's. She sometimes listens to rock and pop. She mostly hears her music from regular computer speakers, but now find these Phillips SHE4500 comfy. Now with these headphones she'll be listening to music with her phone as well.
She's in choir and she mostly just listens to the singers and lyrics of songs, but when I ask her "How do you like this song?" on some of her rap music, she says she likes the beat.
I don't have too high of hopes for her to be able to hear the quality difference, so my budget is $10-$60. If it makes a complete difference, I'll go to $80.

May 20, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #683 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey everyone. My girlfriend can't appreciate the difference in sound quality or picture quality. To give you an example of how bad it is, we saw Avatar playing on a tv channel one day. I thought this was the perfect chance to show her that there IS difference in picture. I showed her standard tv, then an HD channel -she didn't notice a difference. THEN I showed her standard again, and put in the blu-ray in. She didn't think there was a difference in picture quality.
She never wears headphones because they bother her ears, but today I saw her wearing Phillips SHE4500 in-ears. Are there any other headphones that fit just like these? She loves music so I want to buy her some decent headphones so she would listen to her music with those for a while. Then when she gets use to them I'll have her listen to the Phillips SHE4500 again and hopefully she'll hear the difference.

She listens to mostly rap, hip-hop, R&B, Indie, and almost any song between the 20'-60's. She sometimes listens to rock and pop. She mostly hears her music from regular computer speakers, but now find these Phillips SHE4500 comfy. Now with these headphones she'll be listening to music with her phone as well.
She's in choir and she mostly just listens to the singers and lyrics of songs, but when I ask her "How do you like this song?" on some of her rap music, she says she likes the beat.
I don't have too high of hopes for her to be able to hear the quality difference, so my budget is $10-$60. If it makes a complete difference, I'll go to $80.

I shall recommend SoundMAGIC E10, they have a fun sound she will certainly feel the beat! They can be picked up for around $30. 

Check it out if anything, they're very popular here winning best for a budget buy. You get an assortment of tips and a cool carry case!

May 20, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #684 of 5,364
Quote:
I shall recommend SoundMAGIC E10, they have a fun sound she will certainly feel the beat! They can be picked up for around $30. 

Check it out if anything, they're very popular here winning best for a budget buy. You get an assortment of tips and a cool carry case!

I know it's a little off topic, but how do these compare with the E30? Or the A151?

May 20, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #686 of 5,364
i want a pair of iems for metal. hardcore and heavy genres of rock.

price range is from $300-500 though i dont mind spending less.

i wanna get back into higher end stuff and im starting from scratch.

or am i better off grabbing a low level pair of customs? i owned the mtpg and liked them a fair amount.

source is my ipod or galaxy or laptop.

May 20, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #687 of 5,364
Quote:
i want a pair of iems for metal. hardcore and heavy genres of rock.

price range is from $300-500 though i dont mind spending less.

i wanna get back into higher end stuff and im starting from scratch.

or am i better off grabbing a low level pair of customs? i owned the mtpg and liked them a fair amount.

source is my ipod or galaxy or laptop.

What'd you like about the MTPG? (would help people with recommendations)

May 20, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #688 of 5,364
its been a while since ive had them. im guessing the hard hitting bass and the clarity.

the music i listen to mainly is fast and hard hitting. i want something in your face with impactful bass and nice treble.

May 20, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #689 of 5,364
If isolation isn't important, the FX700 fits that bill pretty well. I haven't heard it but the FXT90 might be a more forward option that's said to be pretty aggressive for 1/3 the price.

I like the GR07 for metal also because of its drum reproduction, excellent vocals, and ridiculous texture that is just the ticket distortion guitars. The GR07 is odd though in that its pretty laid back but has very aggressive texture if that makes sense. The FX700 is more aggressive though, with more clarity, speed, and bass impact but at over 2x the price.

Hopefully other members will chime in.

May 21, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #690 of 5,364
i need some headphones to listen to music on my ipod touch. I was looking for over the ear headphones. I have been looking for some for a while but i have t gotten many reccomendations and i dont know which ones to get. I mostly listen to reggaeton, hip hop, rock, and mexican banda music.
any help would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back