Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 14, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #661 of 5,364
Howdy,

My 3rd pair of Phonak Audeo PFE 112's are dying a slow death.
I'm looking to purchase a replacement for these excellent sounding, but poorly built earphones.
Can anyone recommend an earphone that is comparable in sound quality to the PFE 112s?
My next set of earphones must be much more durable than the PFEs.
The reason I am on my third pair of PFEs, is because I've had to send my last two pairs back for warranty replacement due to poor build quality.
The first pair lasted less than six months, and the second pair died after one year of use! Frustrating!!

My next set of earphones must also not require me to purchase over priced add on such as "filters"!
What a racket!

To get to the point, I'd like earphones that sound as good, or better than the PFE 112s, which are also extremely durable, and won't require an additional investment beyond the initial purchase price. It should be noted that my budget for a new pair of phones is around $200.

I will be using these earphones with a Cowon S9 (no amp) to listen to mostly classic hard rock & metal (Maiden/GNR/VH/Tesla/ACDC etc).

At the moment I am considering both the Westone UM2, and the Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10.
Would either of these earphones suit my needs?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You,

Milan

P.S. Could a moderator please delete my previous thread? http://www.head-fi.org/t/609530/iso-durable-replacement-earphones-for-audeo-pfe-112s Thank You!

May 14, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #667 of 5,364
Well just received my Triplefi 10's a few hours ago. I am upgrading from the Klipsch Image s4's. Of course I love the Triplefi's better, but the only problem so far is the seal. None of the silicones fit my ear so I tried to comply foam tips. Those fit, but not a 100% perfect seal. Maybe around 70%. I just ordered the Sony Hybrids off amazon hoping those work. Besides that they are incredible IEM's. To be honest I was expecting more of an increase in quality from the S4's. That doesn't mean their not much better because they are. I guess my expectations were higher than they should have been. The treble is definitely better and the lows are more detailed. However I notice that the mids sort of stay behind the highs/lows.

May 14, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #668 of 5,364
Looking to upgrade from the Shure SE215. I love everything about it, except the highs. I like high treble, almost piercing. Anything comparable to Beyerdynamic DT990 sound signature? Love punchy, low bass, and piercing highs. Midrange should be decent. Under $250 would be great, over-ear wiring preferable.

May 15, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #669 of 5,364
Quote:

The FX700 is right up your alley. It's probably the best sounding dynamic, and it has an open design that allows you to hear your surroundings at reasonable volumes.

I didn't particularly enjoy my FXT90's sound signature. I thought my TF10's were far superior and much more enjoyable..
I'm hearing mixed impressions on FX700 which is a little worrying.

May 15, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #670 of 5,364
Looking to upgrade from the Shure SE215. I love everything about it, except the highs. I like high treble, almost piercing. Anything comparable to Beyerdynamic DT990 sound signature? Love punchy, low bass, and piercing highs. Midrange should be decent. Under $250 would be great, over-ear wiring preferable.

Sound like a great candidate for the Westone 3!

May 15, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #671 of 5,364
Quote:

Kind of in the same boat. I'm also mostly a classical music listener, w/ a hodgepodge of other stuff thrown in. My best recommendation for you (from among those I've tried) is the Grado GR10. I'm considering buying the GR10 again; I'd recommend it for you based on your description of how you want the treble to not be overshadowed by w/ the bass. The treble on the GR10 is very good, mids are stellar and the bass is satisfying, though its weak point if it has one. They are incredibly detailed iem w/ amazing clarity. And yet somehow so musical. I haven't heard the SE420 but from what I've read the GR10 should have better bass.  I've also been recently recommended the FA-BA-SB so that could be something to explore. I believe the 1964-T would be too bassy for you, though I've never had customs; I've similarly considered the CTM-200, based off of ljokerl's recommendation. If you see the end of that review thread, he answered some questions similar to you that I've been asking. I've explored and asked questions about other entry level customs, and it seems to be the best neutral custom you can get at that price point.

Another thing in the GR10's favor is that it really doesn't need to be amped. Having done some kind of amping most of this last year, its kind of nice just to plug in your iem and go.

May 15, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #672 of 5,364
Hi, I'm looking to buy an IEM for casual use. I listen to different sorts of music but mostly pop rock and alternative. Here are what i'm considering which are available to me locally:

brainwavz m1
MEElec m6
dunu trident
sennheiser cx215
soundmagic pl30
audio technica ath-ck303m

any thoughts? i look for sound quality and comfortability which is app for the price range. thanks. 

May 15, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #673 of 5,364
Quote:
I didn't particularly enjoy my FXT90's sound signature. I thought my TF10's were far superior and much more enjoyable..
I'm hearing mixed impressions on FX700 which is a little worrying.

While I've never heard the FXT90, I can definitely assure you that the FX700 is head and shoulders above the TF10.

May 15, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #674 of 5,364
Hello, Ill ask here aswell.

I am looking for universal fit earphones under 350 euro (hopefully less), mainly for genres such as trance, dubstep, ocasional punk-rock with isolation good enough to suppress bus / street noise. I have kinda small ears, classic earbuds hurt my ears after a long use, with in ear headphones I was nearly always using smallest earips. I previously had Sennheiser cx300ii precision and UE350, they both did great job at isolating (I could barely hear anything with music turned OFF).
I am a basshead, I like that feeling when you brain has this small eartquake, but since trance is about vocals aswell, and apart from that I love Whitney Houston, Tina Turner and M. J., I care abought hights aswell.

So far my candidates are:
Monster Turbine Pro Gold (they seem to bit my favorite, isolation, heavy bas, but allthough some people say they dont sound as well as other earphones down here)
Sennheiser IE80 (I am worried about shallow fit and their size, aswell as isolation)
JVC FX700 (really poor isolation)
Ultimate Ears triple fi10 (or w/e they are called) (they are a bit over my limit and I didnt read any comparsion of these with IE80s and MTPGsyet)

Please speak english since I am not quite familiar with technical terms used on this forum. :]

Thanks and cheers

May 15, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #675 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello, Ill ask here aswell.
I am looking for universal fit earphones under 350 euro (hopefully less), mainly for genres such as trance, dubstep, ocasional punk-rock with isolation good enough to suppress bus / street noise. I have kinda small ears, classic earbuds hurt my ears after a long use, with in ear headphones I was nearly always using smallest earips. I previously had Sennheiser cx300ii precision and UE350, they both did great job at isolating (I could barely hear anything with music turned OFF).
I am a basshead, I like that feeling when you brain has this small eartquake, but since trance is about vocals aswell, and apart from that I love Whitney Houston, Tina Turner and M. J., I care abought hights aswell.
So far my candidates are:
Monster Turbine Pro Gold (they seem to bit my favorite, isolation, heavy bas, but allthough some people say they dont sound as well as other earphones down here)
Sennheiser IE80 (I am worried about shallow fit and their size, aswell as isolation)
JVC FX700 (really poor isolation)
Ultimate Ears triple fi10 (or w/e they are called) (they are a bit over my limit and I didnt read any comparsion of these with IE80s and MTPGsyet)
Please speak english since I am not quite familiar with technical terms used on this forum. :]
Thanks and cheers

I think you can the the TF10 for about 250€ on line, amazon, so it's still on your budget.
I tested the IE8(not IE80, but i think they are similar) it had about the same isolation of my (ex-) CX500, which has the same tips as the CX300-II, so if you like the cx300, you shouldn't have problems with the IE80. When people think about shallow vs deep instertion, I think a good comparison is Ety's HF5 with triple-flange or foam tips, isolation specialy with foam tips is borderline insane.

People complain about TF10 size and fit, so it could present a problem for you. Also, check ljokerl's thread with comparative iems, should have good tips for you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back