Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 11, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #646 of 5,364
Quote:
I'm looking for either IEM's or a portable headphone.
Will be using it on my iphone/macbook during studying (library/home) and travelling (train).
Most of the time, I'll be listening to jazz, classic and some soul.
Isolation and comfort are important factors because of where i'll be listening, let's not forget sound presentation and to be fairly honest... (if choosing a portable especially) design is a factor too.

So i'm thinking either b&w p5 or some IEM's. Can get the p5 for like €200 or could look for IEM's around €150 max. (Hifiman, Etymotic perhaps?)
I've tried some headphones, but unfortunately I can't try IEM's because of hygiene issues.

Any advice?

IEM: Westone 2 would probably make you happy; Vsonic GR07 (not stellar isolation), Hifiman RE262 (needs a cheap amp), You might look at the Vsonic GR01, too thoug I have only read about it. 
Portable: Beyer DT1350 is great for those genres, good isolation, but not super comfortale; its better comfort than the HD25. The P5 may not be bad though it has darker sound signature.
Quote:

Bumpity bump...anyone?  Buehler?

Haven't heard the KSC-35. Ask ljokerl on this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-102-portable-headphones-reviewed-panasonic-rp-htf600-added-04-29-12

May 12, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #647 of 5,364
Just purchased the Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 yesterday through amazon. I listen to Trance, Classical, Jazz mostly. Last IEM's were the Klipsch Image s4's and were pretty happy with them, just wanted an upgrade. Good choice or no?

May 12, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #648 of 5,364
Quote:
Just purchased the Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 yesterday through amazon. I listen to Trance, Classical, Jazz mostly. Last IEM's were the Klipsch Image s4's and were pretty happy with them, just wanted an upgrade. Good choice or no?

I had the S4 also and now my TF10, I am happy with them as customs.

May 12, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #649 of 5,364
Quote:
What you want is a used set of Shure SE530's.

They can be had for $200.
Awesome vocals, great bass, non fatiguing highs.
When you use the foam tips - they block out almost all outside noise.  They sound great out of any source - no need to mess around with an amp.

Trust me - don't screw around - these are what you are looking for.

Quote:
Could also look at the GR07 or the W2. I think both would make jalva happy.

Thank you very much for the suggestions! Let me study these in options in more detail.

I couldnt find used SE530s for anywhere close to $200. Am I missing the right places to look at?

May 12, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #650 of 5,364
Guys, 445 euros for a Westone 4R(the westone 4 is 425, so I think that in those conditions the 4R would be a better option) is a decent price?

I'm going to europe in about 1 and a half month, and I contacted westone about auhorized resselers there and the only authorized resseler they recomended was Veriphone. Is this price a ripoff for an authorized purchase with warranty or not?

In us is there any authorized westone store with a better price?
I would have to wait ~ 1 year till I get a trip to US I was to buy them there, so, if it isn't a too much of a diference, it would probably compensate to buy them in Europe.

May 13, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #651 of 5,364
Which is better, monster turbine pro coppers or westone 2s? I listen to hip-hop, rock, pop, oldies, classical, and some blues. I mainly want the turbines because I heard that monster's supertips are amazingly comfortable. However, I also want the westone 2s's sound quality. Thanks for your help!
dt880smile.png

May 13, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #652 of 5,364
I have checked out many of the threads (here and in the full size section) and the buying guides but still have not been able to make a decision so here I am....

Dilemma: Bought the Shure SRH940 a week ago for use at work and found myself in the collective that hates the headband. After wearing for about an hour, my head begins to hurt and I have to take a break. Need a replacement asap. Need a pair that I can wear for 3+ hours without removal.
Budget: $250
Music: Southern Gospel, Contemporary Christian, County, Jazz, Ambient, Rap/Hip-Hop/R&B, TV Shows/Movies
Use: At work and in transit. 
Source: Phone (Original Droid X) and PC. No amp.
Open/Closed: Closed with little to no leakage as possible. I like to be able to turn my music up without having everyone else hear it.
Comfort: A MUST as comfort is the reason I am here having to get another pair.
In/On/Over Ear: Prefer over the ear but am open to on the ear. Do not want IEM as they will not stay in one of my ears.
Current Headphones:
  1. Ultrasone PRO 750 - Love them. Comfortable. Thoroughly enjoy the sound stage, bass, etc.
  2. Shure SRH940 - Enjoy the sound especially the highs for jazz and women singers
Considering but open to other suggestions:
  1. Second pair of Ultrasone PRO 750. Would like something more portable if possible.
  2. Sennheiser PX 200 II
  3. Beyerdynamic DT770
  4. Sennheiser HD 25-1 II
  5. Beyerdynamic T50p
  6. Beyerdynamic DT1350

Thanks in advance!

May 13, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #653 of 5,364
Quote:
I have checked out many of the threads (here and in the full size section) and the buying guides but still have not been able to make a decision so here I am....

Dilemma: Bought the Shure SRH940 a week ago for use at work and found myself in the collective that hates the headband. After wearing for about an hour, my head begins to hurt and I have to take a break. Need a replacement asap. Need a pair that I can wear for 3+ hours without removal.
Budget: $250
Music: Southern Gospel, Contemporary Christian, County, Jazz, Ambient, Rap/Hip-Hop/R&B, TV Shows/Movies
Use: At work and in transit. 
Source: Phone (Original Droid X) and PC. No amp.
Open/Closed: Closed with little to no leakage as possible. I like to be able to turn my music up without having everyone else hear it.
Comfort: A MUST as comfort is the reason I am here having to get another pair.
In/On/Over Ear: Prefer over the ear but am open to on the ear. Do not want IEM as they will not stay in one of my ears.
Current Headphones:
  1. Ultrasone PRO 750 - Love them. Comfortable. Thoroughly enjoy the sound stage, bass, etc.
  2. Shure SRH940 - Enjoy the sound especially the highs for jazz and women singers
Considering but open to other suggestions:
  1. Second pair of Ultrasone PRO 750. Would like something more portable if possible.
  2. Sennheiser PX 200 II
  3. Beyerdynamic DT770
  4. Sennheiser HD 25-1 II
  5. Beyerdynamic T50p
  6. Beyerdynamic DT1350

Thanks in advance!

I haven't tried any of those, but I did tried the Shure SHR940, and almost bought it. I bought the AKG K550, which is a bit above your budget. About comfort, it's amazinly comfortable, in special the grip, it's extremely light and I simply forget about it after sometime. Sonicaly, I prefered the K550, I A/Bed them before buying using a sansa clip zip unamped, I don't have any complaints but you should try them and see if you like their sound. Also the headband is non-existent in your head, quite a feat.

One important coment, usualy the weight of the K550 isn't a problem, but if you are very tired preparing yourself to drop dead on the bed(like i'm now), they can be bothersome, still, they are about the same weight as the Shure's, so, this isn't something(I think) that you put them apart. When you start feeling the weight is a bit strange because you don't fell it coming from anywhere in particular, you simply fell your head a bit heavier, I still don't feel the headband nor the grip.

Also, as far as I could see, the build quality of the K550 is better than of the 940.

All in all, I think you could take a look at them and see if you like.

May 14, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #654 of 5,364
Looking for somewhat portable (closed) medium headphones for under 300 USD

has to be bigger than Vmoda V/M80, these were too small

considering:

Sennheiser HD25
Philips Cityscape Downtown / Uptown
Philips Fidelio L1
Philips Fidelio M1
Skullcandy Hesh 2.0
Skullcandy Aviator
Audio Technica ES10

or others

May 14, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #655 of 5,364
i had my mind set up on JVC HAFX1X but then many people suggested other IEMs like meelec m31,soundmagic E-10 etc and i got confused..
i have somehow managed to increase my budget to $50 and was wondering which is the best IEM under $50..i definately love bass but the sound quality and bass quality is also important as i listen to slow paced songs too (somebody i used to know for example).
i am on a tight budget now a days so can't buy cks77 for another 4-5 months..
so which is the best iem for my preferences..the bass should be just enough to satisfy a basshead also there should be rumble in the bass(like in subwoofers)...

May 14, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #656 of 5,364
Need a IEM for use whilst walking in university/on transport.
Don't want high isolation, I want to retain some auditory awareness. So definitely no Etymotics. This is really important, as I am not a fan of not hearing anything around me, it worries me.
I have about $400 to spend.
I enjoyed TF10 but the fit was terrible, plus I look like a derp with those things hanging out my ears.
I listen to a lot of genres: hip hop (both modern and old school), rock (indie, classic, punk, noise, experimental, blah blah), electronic music (edm, trance, electropop), folk/sing-songwriter music, shoegaze, metal (death, black, thrash), hardcore punk/metal, sludge, drone
Just a whole lot of music!
I was looking at IE8. Also SM3 possibly... how is the isolation on that? Not too high I hope?

May 14, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #657 of 5,364
Quote:
Need a IEM for use whilst walking in university/on transport.
Don't want high isolation, I want to retain some auditory awareness. So definitely no Etymotics. This is really important, as I am not a fan of not hearing anything around me, it worries me.
I have about $400 to spend.
I enjoyed TF10 but the fit was terrible, plus I look like a derp with those things hanging out my ears.
I listen to a lot of genres: hip hop (both modern and old school), rock (indie, classic, punk, noise, experimental, blah blah), electronic music (edm, trance, electropop), folk/sing-songwriter music, shoegaze, metal (death, black, thrash), hardcore punk/metal, sludge, drone
Just a whole lot of music!
I was looking at IE8. Also SM3 possibly... how is the isolation on that? Not too high I hope?

The FX700 is right up your alley. It's probably the best sounding dynamic, and it has an open design that allows you to hear your surroundings at reasonable volumes.

May 14, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #659 of 5,364
Quote:
i had my mind set up on JVC HAFX1X but then many people suggested other IEMs like meelec m31,soundmagic E-10 etc and i got confused..
i have somehow managed to increase my budget to $50 and was wondering which is the best IEM under $50..i definately love bass but the sound quality and bass quality is also important as i listen to slow paced songs too (somebody i used to know for example).
i am on a tight budget now a days so can't buy cks77 for another 4-5 months..
so which is the best iem for my preferences..the bass should be just enough to satisfy a basshead also there should be rumble in the bass(like in subwoofers)...

This seems to be what you want: http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHE3580-28-Colors-Headphones/dp/B003BT69Z2/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1337012046&sr=8-9

It's one of the better values in audio

May 14, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #660 of 5,364
Hi all!

Recently I had the unfortunate mishap of losing my Shure SE420 earphones on a plane flight back from a music school audition, and am in the market for a replacement. At the time I got the SE420s because I didn't quite have the budget to go for Shure's (at the time) best IEMs, but I ended up being really pleased with how the SE420s sounded. However, now I'm looking for an upgrade from the Shure IEMs, and am wondering what advice you all have for me. I primarily listen to classical music, but my library has significant jazz and rock, as well as even some metal, choral, theatre, and more. Basically, what I need are IEMs that perform well in all genres, but particularly in classical music.

My tastes generally are that I prefer bass which is good, but not overpowering. Especially in classical music, the bass needs to be there (timpani, tuba, double bass, etc) but it can't get in the way of the treble (woodwinds, trumpets, strings, etc.) so the bass is secondary, for me, to the treble. But both definitely need to be there. The Shure SE420s had okay bass, but in the lower range it definitely suffered in comparison to higher quality IEMs I have seen reviewed and that I have tested via friends. Something with stronger bass, but similarly high quality treble, would be awesome.

Outside of sound quality, I was really happy with the way Shure handled customer support. I only had to send in the SE420s once, after about two years, for some minor issues and Shure handled the process swiftly and with no cost to me. The comfort of the SE420s, also, was quite good. And their performance stayed consistent (except for the one time I had to send them in) for about three years with little to no major problems as long as I kept them maintained well. That's a major factor for me, because I don't want to spend $500+ on IEMs only to have them fall apart in a year. 

As for my budget, I'd really prefer to stay under $500, which I guess still gives me a lot of great opportunities. I've heard great things about the UE TripleFi10s, Etymotic ER-4, and some other universals. Good customs in that range I've heard are 1964EARS 1964-T and Clear Tune Monitors CTM-200. Thoughts on these for someone listening mainly to classical music, but who needs good overall performance for any genre? Also, how significant is the benefit of customs versus universals? Customs obviously are a more significant investment, and I'd be stuck with them, so I'm sometimes hesitant to put down that much money if I'm not sure I'll love them. But the benefits seem impressive. 

Also, with these sorts of IEMs, would there be any need for a portable amp, and if so, what are your recommendations? I just ran my SE420s off a standard MP3 player and they were fine. I'm completely uninformed about whether one would need a portable amp for higher quality IEMs, and, if so, where to start. Similarly, I mainly have been listening to my cheap replacement earbuds (since I lost my SE420s) using my iPod, but is there any need to find a music player specifically for audiophiles if I want the best listening experience possible? Like I said, I'm going into music performance, so I need good audio quality. It matters being able to hear whether the timpani player used chamois or felt sticks, that sort of thing. But on the other hand, I'm not going into sound engineering, so I'm not going to spend $1000+. 

Sorry for this post being so long. Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks for helping out a newbie!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back