Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 10, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #631 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi,

So my Shure se115's are starting to die on me and I have no idea where to start looking for new iem's.

I'm looking to spend around 150-200. Here's my last.fm to get a taste of what music i listen to http://www.last.fm/user/Unyuma,
I mostly listen to pop, acoustic (singer/songwriter), alt stuff (like florence + the machine, tokyo police club, city and colour, friendly fires), and a little bit of rock

I do know that i don't want bass heavy iem's, and i'm looking for good sound.

They will be used largely with an ipod and sometimes a vita.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GR01, GR07, Westone 2, RE262 (if you have an amp)
Here is a great resource to read more about all of these: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-237-iems-compared-akg-k3003i-added-05-07-12

May 10, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #632 of 5,364
Looking for fun bassy portables for use with cowon j3. I have asg1, atrio mg7, and cks77. Im looking to add ath ws70 or ws55 or sony xb700. I reLly luke the AT sound like the m50. I just cant find the main difference between the 55 and 70s.

May 10, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #633 of 5,364
I'm looking for some suggestions on a new pair of headphones.

I recently sold my UE Triple fi 10's.  They were uncomfortable to me.. and now I want something other than an IEM. Something with less isolation.

I have around $250 or so to spend.

I listen to just about everything- jazz, classical, pop, indie, rock, & hiphop. I'll be listening on an iPhone or a computer.

Important to me:  I want something durable.. and that I can wear on the go if needed. Possibly something to wear at work (ie- less isolation in case the phone rings or someone is talking to me)

And of course- GREAT sound quality is a must.

(I have been looking at Audio Technica m50's, V-Moda m80's, Denons, etc.. as well as FIIO amps, or some of the other reasonable hand-assembled amps)  Any thoughts?

May 10, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #634 of 5,364
Quote:

I listen to just about everything- jazz, classical, pop, indie, rock, & hiphop. I'll be listening on an iPhone or a computer.

Important to me:  I want something durable.. and that I can wear on the go if needed. Possibly something to wear at work (ie- less isolation in case the phone rings or someone is talking to me)

And of course- GREAT sound quality is a must.

I saw this, and my first thought was the Vsonic GR07. It's $100 below your budget and exceeds all your requirements. I did a short review of them and compared them to other top-tiers here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/572175/vsonic-gr07-perfection-added-fx700-ie8-and-se530-comparisons

As for amping, they don't need amps. However, if your computer's headphone jack is noisy and not of good audio quality, I recommend the Fiio E10. It made a world of a difference going from my computer jack to the E10

May 10, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #637 of 5,364
I've been looking into the Sunrise Xcited IE and I really think it's just what I'm looking for (sub $100, leans to bass but excellent in other aspects as well, priority on SQ, good isolation) but I can't seem to find anywhere to buy it. Any suggestions or substitutes? 

May 10, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #638 of 5,364
Quote:
I've been looking into the Sunrise Xcited IE and I really think it's just what I'm looking for (sub $100, leans to bass but excellent in other aspects as well, priority on SQ, good isolation) but I can't seem to find anywhere to buy it. Any suggestions or substitutes? 

Get it here: http://lendmeurears.com/index.php?cPath=18 Lendmeurears has a decent reputation around here.

May 10, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #639 of 5,364
What do you think would be better for me?
Sennheiser hd25 or V-MODA m-80?

I currently own a gr07 and i love it but I wouldn't mind a different sound sig.

My music taste always changes but this is where it's at now: mainly hip-hop, light rock and a bit of jazz, folk/indie, r&b. 
I love the looks of the hd25 but i heard it's quite sibilant, is it that noticible?
My gr07's can get quite sibilant on some tracks but for the most part it's okay - how does it compare with the hd25's?

Are there any other can suggestions? 
thank you people

May 10, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #640 of 5,364
I am looking for a very specific sound...

My favorite sounding headphone is the Koss KSC-35 (not 75, not PortaPro) straight out of an iPod Classic or iPhone 4S.

Can anyone recommend an IEM or canalbud that has a similar sonic signature in the under $100 range?

I realize open headphones and closed IEMs would sound very different, but I'm just trying to get in the same sonic ballpark.

Thanks!

May 10, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #641 of 5,364
Well my eternas V1 finally died after years of use. I really love the sound sig of these is there any modern day iem with the same sound signature? 

May 10, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #642 of 5,364
Quote:
What do you think would be better for me?
Sennheiser hd25 or V-MODA m-80?

I currently own a gr07 and i love it but I wouldn't mind a different sound sig.

My music taste always changes but this is where it's at now: mainly hip-hop, light rock and a bit of jazz, folk/indie, r&b. 
I love the looks of the hd25 but i heard it's quite sibilant, is it that noticible?
My gr07's can get quite sibilant on some tracks but for the most part it's okay - how does it compare with the hd25's?

Are there any other can suggestions? 
thank you people

Tough one. If you find the GR07 sibilant, you may the HD25. The Vmoda M80 has great mids, and definitely won't be sibilant since the treble is a little recessed, but I don't think you'd like the bass for hip hop. The HD25 has fantastic bass but you may not like the treble. Have you considered the ATH-M50? There mids are a little recessed, but they're bassy and I don't think they're sibilant. You may like them. The Amperior, the revision of the HD25, is coming out but the MSRP is $350; its supposed to be more of the general signature but better.

May 10, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #643 of 5,364
Quote:
Well my eternas V1 finally died after years of use. I really love the sound sig of these is there any modern day iem with the same sound signature? 

Read up on the Vsonic GR06. It may be what you're looking for.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/541204/concise-multi-iem-comparison-vsonic-gr01-gr02-bass-gr06-gr99-added-april-24th-2012

May 10, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #644 of 5,364
I'm looking for either IEM's or a portable headphone.
Will be using it on my iphone/macbook during studying (library/home) and travelling (train).
Most of the time, I'll be listening to jazz, classic and some soul.
Isolation and comfort are important factors because of where i'll be listening, let's not forget sound presentation and to be fairly honest... (if choosing a portable especially) design is a factor too.

So i'm thinking either b&w p5 or some IEM's. Can get the p5 for like €200 or could look for IEM's around €150 max. (Hifiman, Etymotic perhaps?)
I've tried some headphones, but unfortunately I can't try IEM's because of hygiene issues.

Any advice?

May 11, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #645 of 5,364
Quote:
I am looking for a very specific sound...

My favorite sounding headphone is the Koss KSC-35 (not 75, not PortaPro) straight out of an iPod Classic or iPhone 4S.

Can anyone recommend an IEM or canalbud that has a similar sonic signature in the under $100 range?

I realize open headphones and closed IEMs would sound very different, but I'm just trying to get in the same sonic ballpark.

Thanks!

Bumpity bump...anyone?  Buehler?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back