Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Apr 27, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #586 of 5,364

Quote:

Up to 200 dollars, would you choose an MDR-EX600 or an  ATH-CKM99? There is a better neutral IEM at this price? Yes, I already read this thread (http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-236-iems-compared-vsonic-gr06-gr01-added-04-19-12)

I'm new about these audiophile things, so any tip is welcome. 

my english isn't very good, so please forgive me

I've heard the EX600 and CKM77 (very similar to the CKM99). I'd personally take the EX600 for the sound, and the CKM77 for the fit. Both are very detailed, but the EX600 just sounded more natural to me.

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #587 of 5,364

So I've been pouring over the forums for the last little while (couple weeks i think) finally made an account and decided to ask for guidance I'm just a mere budding audiophile at least when it comes to gear. I'm working landscape stuff over the summer so I picked up some Sony noise canceling buds to deal with some of the volume but they aren't the best headphones for true musical bliss. I've always wanted a pair of custom IEM's since i found out about them a while back and over the next month or two i should amass enough founds to dive into some audiophile bliss.

So I come to you, Great audiophiles of head-fi, to ask for recommendations.

As for my preferred sound signature I think i like something that would be a Full/warm punchy set with a little emphasis on bass and good detail. I've had a plethora of different headphones over the years, my dad likes to use them as presents for all occasions, from the Bose in ears, that I felt were massively over priced, Klipsh S4's, Sleek Audio SA-1's a random Pair of Ultimate ear universals my dad found (I think they were the UE 500's) and i felt like they made the music sound somewhat clinical.

I listen to a variety of different music, Lots of Led Zeppelin, circa survive, chiodos, pierce the veil, mars Volta, and coheed and cambria, however I also love Ben Folds, minus the bear, and the mountain goats. the only genres i don't listen to very much are pop country and things like that. it seems a lot of the bands i enjoy tend to share minor key tonality so if that is of any use there it is. I also enjoy listening to audio books so vocal clarity is always appreciated.

I would Love to get customs and have been eying the 1964 t and q's along with basically every other custom there are pictures of. if things end up going well with the landscaping i should have a budget that ranges from 500 to if things go better than i expected 800.

So should I just go with some high end universals, mid range customs, or should I look into re-shelling, I've seen that UM has the re-shell and upgrade to add more drivers.

Based on the kind of music I listen to and sound signature what would be a good if not the best option for me to go with.

Any and all comments shall be read and greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time!

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #588 of 5,364

Quote:
My Rig: Marantz CD6004, IPOD Classic 160gb, PC
Type of usage: Music listening
File format: CD
Music genre: Jazz, Rock, Classical, Orchestra, Vocal, Blues
Budget: Below $300
Headphone/ earphone type: IEM/Portable Headphone
Other requirements (if any): sound produced by the IEM to be neutral and non-coloured, truthful.

Plan to buy myself a portable amp after this, any recommendation too?

Thanks for your time and have a nice day. 

I'd consider the GR07 and Westone 2. Neither need an amp. Or if you want to spend more, get a Westone 4 and an E11 amp.
HI , every one

plz help me to choose the best In-Ear headset for my Uses

my Uses : Pop Music , podcast , movies , calling , may be computer games " really for hard work ^_^ "

but i need best noise cancellation Cuz i listing music at work , walking  , traffic

Thanx , everyone ^_^

Se535 and Sennheiser IE80 both have mic chords available. The SE535 has better noise isolation. If you can afford them, you'll be happy with them.

Quote:
I'm looking for a pair of headphones for workout. IEMs preferred. I was thinking of the monster powerbeats, even though it's probably just another overpriced product of marketing. Any other recommendations for a pair of workout iems? I'm willing to spend up to $200 and my workout music consists of hip-hop, rock, and epic orchestrals

Westone 2 should work out for you.

Quote:

So I've been pouring over the forums for the last little while (couple weeks i think) finally made an account and decided to ask for guidance I'm just a mere budding audiophile at least when it comes to gear. I'm working landscape stuff over the summer so I picked up some Sony noise canceling buds to deal with some of the volume but they aren't the best headphones for true musical bliss. I've always wanted a pair of custom IEM's since i found out about them a while back and over the next month or two i should amass enough founds to dive into some audiophile bliss.

So I come to you, Great audiophiles of head-fi, to ask for recommendations.

As for my preferred sound signature I think i like something that would be a Full/warm punchy set with a little emphasis on bass and good detail. I've had a plethora of different headphones over the years, my dad likes to use them as presents for all occasions, from the Bose in ears, that I felt were massively over priced, Klipsh S4's, Sleek Audio SA-1's a random Pair of Ultimate ear universals my dad found (I think they were the UE 500's) and i felt like they made the music sound somewhat clinical.

I listen to a variety of different music, Lots of Led Zeppelin, circa survive, chiodos, pierce the veil, mars Volta, and coheed and cambria, however I also love Ben Folds, minus the bear, and the mountain goats. the only genres i don't listen to very much are pop country and things like that. it seems a lot of the bands i enjoy tend to share minor key tonality so if that is of any use there it is. I also enjoy listening to audio books so vocal clarity is always appreciated.

I would Love to get customs and have been eying the 1964 t and q's along with basically every other custom there are pictures of. if things end up going well with the landscaping i should have a budget that ranges from 500 to if things go better than i expected 800.

So should I just go with some high end universals, mid range customs, or should I look into re-shelling, I've seen that UM has the re-shell and upgrade to add more drivers.

Based on the kind of music I listen to and sound signature what would be a good if not the best option for me to go with.

Any and all comments shall be read and greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time!

Pick up a pair of UM3X, Westone 4 or Se535 used. If you like them, stellar. If they don't satisfy, you can look into entry level customs. The UM3X has better instrument separation and mid bass hump but the treble is a little tame, Westone 4 is the most neutral of the three and should satisfy all genres the best and the SE535 has just stellar mids and is great for vocals.

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #589 of 5,364
Apr 27, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #590 of 5,364
Apr 27, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #591 of 5,364

Suggestions needed.

Looking for comfortable, tangle free, small form factor IEM's, with iphone contols.  My price range is under $200, I listen to mostly podcasts, rock, and a little hip-hop, on an iphone.  I'm not an audiophile by any means just looking for something that sounds ok, and won't kill my ears after a couple hours of use.  I was looking for tangle free as I'm sick of my headphones not only getting tangled but after wrapping them up and throwing them in my bag the cable starts to curl or have a wave that hits my neck and gets annoying.  I would like them small as I fly alot and for me its hard to rest my head or sleep on a pillow with the IEM being forced farther in my ear.  Lastly iphone control is a must as I will always be using them with my iphone and love the convience of the controls.  Thanks for the help and sorry if some of that didn't make sense.

I have tried the:
Diddy Beats. (to heavy, to big, and not worth the money)
Bose MIE2i. (was looking for comfort but they aren't IEMs and dont seal so no good)
a-Jays Four. (I felt these were the best so far in terms of size and value, but never was able to wear them for that long, always started hurting my ear)
Apple IEM's (These were very uncomfortable to me, didn't last a day)
Shure SE215 (Found out I am not a fan of headphones that wrap over your ear, so please don't suggest any)
I think I've tried others but can't remember right now.

I thought about spending a little more money and going custom. I am just worried about spending money and it still feeling like its jaming in my ear while resting my head on a plane and dont know of any that have iphone controls.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.  Thanks for the great forum.

Apr 28, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #593 of 5,364

Quote:
But are the Westone 2s sweat-proof so that it's safe for workouts?

Well, if you buy them from an authorize dealer, you'll get at least two years of use out of them, and a replacement if sweat does affect the chords. But I know some people will occasionally with them down to protect from sweat. Pretty sure Earphonesolutions has them for like $200 with coupon April20.

Apr 28, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #594 of 5,364
I was thinking about getting the jh13 or Westone Es5/es3x, both have good performance to the type of music that I'm listening too(check earlier posts) .But apparently, the Jh13 is more bassier than the Westone. Now,I've had quite an experience with music laden with bass;it gives me a headache, I understand all IEms,usually customs would have some bass that can't be helped. But for a starting point, should I even get customs or just get a decent pair of universals? I've been reading through some reviews and I'm still unsure.
Thanks and any advice would be great.

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #596 of 5,364

Quote:

Up to 200 dollars, would you choose an MDR-EX600 or an  ATH-CKM99? There is a better neutral IEM at this price? Yes, I already read this thread (http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-236-iems-compared-vsonic-gr06-gr01-added-04-19-12)

I'm new about these audiophile things, so any tip is welcome. 

my english isn't very good, so please forgive me

Ok, now the question is between the MDR-EX600 and the GR07/GR01. They are so different?

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #597 of 5,364
Hey guys, back in need of some advice from some real audiophiles:

I'm looking for some IEMs for around $150. My last IEMs were Munitio 9mms which I bought on impulse and probably weren't the best bang for the buck. Before that, I had a pair of Nuforce NE6s. I listen to mostly hip hop, pretty eclectic though.

What are the best IEMs right now for around $150? A top 3 would be excellent.

EDIT: I'd prefer more "standard" looking IEMs. I don't like the looks of the Westone 2s.

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #598 of 5,364

Quote:
EDIT: I'd prefer more "standard" looking IEMs. I don't like the looks of the Westone 2s.

Can you be more descriptive?

Either way, I'd consider Triple.fi10 if you can find one at a decent price, the GR07, JVC HA-FXT90 and HA-FX500. You can read more about each of them on this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-236-iems-compared-vsonic-gr06-gr01-added-04-19-12

Apr 30, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #599 of 5,364
What are some good replacement tips to use with Monster Turbines?  I have tried Comply tips, but they absorb a lot of the bass and fall out a lot (Not a 100% fit).  I have also tried the Sony Hybrids, which are good, but I would prefer a foam tip.

What are your suggestions?  What is the general rule about foam, silicone, and gel tips?  Which provide better highs, mids, lows, etc.? Cons of each?
Also, is the FiiO E5 a good investment to use these with an iPhone 4?

Thank you so much to whoever answers my question! It is much appreciated!

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #600 of 5,364
Hi all, I've been lurking around here for a little bit lately because this forum keeps popping up during my google research and thus far I've found a ton of good information here.

I'm looking for my first 'nice' set of on ear (possibly over-ear) headphones as I've been using in ear buds for pretty much everything, I still love the klipsch s4's but I'm looking to expand my listening.  These will be all purpose from home to traveling and use on flights.  I listen to all types of music; classic rock to country, hard rock and a little hip-hop every now and then and will also be using these for movies on my laptop.  Portability is an important factor so being foldable and having a case would be a huge plus so I can toss them in a bag for easy travel.

I'd rather not have to use an amp with my media players, so reading this forum has helped me eliminate some choices right off the bat.

My price range is pretty much maxed out at $200, I'll spend that, but would like to stay around $150 ideally.

I've been looking at the akg k451's.  Their reviews seem positive and I've mostly found reviews for the k450's which seem pretty good as well.  Their portability and low impedance seem right up my alley.  I mainly started looking at the akg's because of their style from the 171/172's which are at the same price or cheaper than the 451's, but seem like they would require an amp.

The sennheiser hd 25-1 ii seem to get great reviews here and everywhere I've looked.  At $200 they are $50 more than the 451's and I'm not sure that would be justified, plus the reviews seem to point to the akg's being more comfortable for long listening which is great for me.  Also the impedance being 70ohms is that going to be too much for unamped use with media players?  I haven't seen that noted on here when talking about them.

I'm in no way overly attached to either of these models, they just seem to have come up over and over in my searches and I keep coming back to them.  Please let me know if you have any suggestions or could use some more information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back