Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Apr 14, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #541 of 5,364
After a lot of reading and searching I'm very torn between the W4 and Shure 535 (bronze).  I want something fairly neutral, non-fatiguing,  great soundstage for classical - especially opera but that works well for rock/alternative with great instrument separation   I do not want bass bleed into the mids or vocals so forward that everything else becomes veiled.    I don't know exactly how sensitive to treble I am - I can only say the CKM50's are a little overly bright/fatiguing to my ears. I'd like a little sparkle but a little roll-off is fine.  I'm a classically trained female singer but these are for listening at home and traveling (especially on a plane overseas). The absolute top of my budget is $425 and that's even pushing it. 

The main thing pulling me to the 535 is that people say it emotes more of the emotion, passion and musicality in music than the W4.  If anyone can comment either way, I'd appreciate it.  The highest earphone I can compare to is the B&O A8 - which I enjoy for their clarity and soundstage.  Thank you!!!

Apr 14, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #542 of 5,364

The W4 is what you want. It is definitely non fatiguing and has excellent soundstage (better than the Se535) and good instrument separation. I currently have the SE535 for pop/rock/jazz/folk but only I use over headphones for classical listening at work. SE535 is just not fantastic classical, especially with its wussy treble. It has sparkle but in that top music chart kind of way, not in the violin way. I find the W4 passionate, but the SE535 does voices in folk/rock better. The S3535 for voices is just amazing, but for classical overall I have to give the nod to the W4.
Quote:
After a lot of reading and searching I'm very torn between the W4 and Shure 535 (bronze).  I want something fairly neutral, non-fatiguing,  great soundstage for classical - especially opera but that works well for rock/alternative with great instrument separation   I do not want bass bleed into the mids or vocals so forward that everything else becomes veiled.    I don't know exactly how sensitive to treble I am - I can only say the CKM50's are a little overly bright/fatiguing to my ears. I'd like a little sparkle but a little roll-off is fine.  I'm a classically trained female singer but these are for listening at home and traveling (especially on a plane overseas). The absolute top of my budget is $425 and that's even pushing it. 

The main thing pulling me to the 535 is that people say it emotes more of the emotion, passion and musicality in music than the W4.  If anyone can comment either way, I'd appreciate it.  The highest earphone I can compare to is the B&O A8 - which I enjoy for their clarity and soundstage.  Thank you!!!

Apr 14, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #543 of 5,364
I need some help fellow Head-Fi'ers. I am still new to the game of audio gear, as noted by my post count, I am more of a researcher/lurker than a poster.

Music preference: Country (texas/red dirt country not nashville/pop stuff) and rock (shinedown/seether/avenged sevenfold/etc). My Meelectronics M6s and M6Ps are my gym setup as I listen to hip-hop/rap/rock/dubstep/etc for that.

Location: United States, but probably going to buy from an online dealer within the continental United States.

Budget: <$100

Comfort: Necessity as it will be mainly used for airplane/travel/etc

Isolation: Necessity as it will be mainly used for airplane/travel/etc.

I have received recommendations of the Turbines (with complys) and have eyed the Soundmagic PL50s and Shure SE215s, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Any recommendations?

Cam

Apr 14, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #544 of 5,364
I'd take a look at the Vsonic GR06 (Mark2410 has a good review). The Etymotic HF5 is in my opinion the best deal for a under $100 iem. It's got great isolation for travel; its not a bass monster but you have the M6s for that.

Quote:
I need some help fellow Head-Fi'ers. I am still new to the game of audio gear, as noted by my post count, I am more of a researcher/lurker than a poster.

Music preference: Country (texas/red dirt country not nashville/pop stuff) and rock (shinedown/seether/avenged sevenfold/etc). My Meelectronics M6s and M6Ps are my gym setup as I listen to hip-hop/rap/rock/dubstep/etc for that.

Location: United States, but probably going to buy from an online dealer within the continental United States.

Budget: <$100

Comfort: Necessity as it will be mainly used for airplane/travel/etc

Isolation: Necessity as it will be mainly used for airplane/travel/etc.

I have received recommendations of the Turbines (with complys) and have eyed the Soundmagic PL50s and Shure SE215s, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Any recommendations?

Cam

Apr 14, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #545 of 5,364
Hey all,

I've been out of the audio game for a while now, mostly because i've been content with my JH5s that I lost interest in trying to find the ideal headphones (and partly because I have developed bad tinnitus).  Anyway just surfing the forum, it seems like a TON of new companies and products are out there since I was last here, so i figured I should ask for some advice.

After two years or so my apple IEMs have given up, and are worn out beyond repair. I got them on ebay for $25 IIRC, which was quite a bargain for what they are. Now i'm in need of a new pair of EDC headphones preferably with an inline mic for my iphone. I'm looking for something on par with the Apple IEMs quality wise, that is durable and obviously, sounds good.

If it helps, I listen to a wide variety of music including alt rock, trance, lounge, and classical.
I enjoy balanced sound with good separation, crisp highs, forward mids, strong but not overpowering bass.

Budget wise, i'm thinking ~$30, granted i'd pay more for something really durable. It was my birthday yesterday, and i'm considering treating myself to something better.

Oh, and Ideally i'd like something with a pocket case that isn't clunky, or something that will fit into an altoids gum tin, which is how i carried my AIEMs for 2 years. These are the headphones i'd have in my pocket 24/7, so they'd have to be relatively tough.

Thanks in advance!

Apr 14, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #546 of 5,364

Quote:
I'd take a look at the Vsonic GR06 (Mark2410 has a good review). The Etymotic HF5 is in my opinion the best deal for a under $100 iem. It's got great isolation for travel; its not a bass monster but you have the M6s for that.

Between the following choices, which has the bass for country or rock?

1. Vsonic GR06
  2. Vsonic GR07 and
  3. Etymotic HF5
  4. Monster Turbine

I am not a basshead by any means, but want to at least notice the bass present. I will potentially get complys tips, 75 ohm adapter and maybe a small FiiO amp (if necessary). All will be ran with an ipod or android phone for music device.

Apr 14, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #547 of 5,364
The GR07 has fantastic bass. It is a stellar iem, though not with a ton of sparkle. If you can afford, go for it!

Quote:

Between the following choices, which has the bass for country or rock?

1. Vsonic GR06
  2. Vsonic GR07 and
  3. Etymotic HF5
  4. Monster Turbine

I am not a basshead by any means, but want to at least notice the bass present. I will potentially get complys tips, 75 ohm adapter and maybe a small FiiO amp (if necessary). All will be ran with an ipod or android phone for music device.

Apr 15, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #548 of 5,364
Hi there. Been posting in the other headphone recommendations thread, but realized I wasn't really comfortable with over-ears. So i'm posting here hoping to get opinions about the v-moda m-80 and hifiman re-262.

Firstly, I know they are different things, iems and headphones are very different. But I only want to know about the quality of the vocal presentation and overall sound quality. Who knows, I might just buy both...when i have the cash that is.

Any other products to recommend? Budget is $200, genre including japanese vocals(yuki kajiura), OST, rock(death cab/muse).

Thanks in advance.

Apr 15, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #549 of 5,364
Do you need isolation?

Quote:
Hi there. Been posting in the other headphone recommendations thread, but realized I wasn't really comfortable with over-ears. So i'm posting here hoping to get opinions about the v-moda m-80 and hifiman re-262.
Firstly, I know they are different things, iems and headphones are very different. But I only want to know about the quality of the vocal presentation and overall sound quality. Who knows, I might just buy both...when i have the cash that is.
Any other products to recommend? Budget is $200, genre including japanese vocals(yuki kajiura), OST, rock(death cab/muse).
Thanks in advance.

Apr 15, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #551 of 5,364
Quote:
Need advice on headphones.

Budget:  Somewhat flexible $300 or less but would go a little higher if need be.
Type:  Over the ear noise cancelling (possibly) - I do a lot of business travel so something to eliminate jet noise is ideal. Also, needs to be very little sound leakage due to office life and travel.
Use:  Really range from watching movies to music. Music that I prefer to listen too includes mostly 80s genre, instrumentals, Motown, 50s Doo Wop, but 80s being the majority. Specific 80s music would include artisits  Hall and Oates, Billy Joel, INXS, U2, Van Halen, Aerosmith, Ozzy, Motely Crue, Madonna, Metallica, Dixie Midnight Runners, and really the list just goes on and on.
Listening Devices: Primarily ipod and cell phone, computer, and tablet. Also my Pioneer receiver (primarily used for home theater but also for music listening).

I have a set of Audio-Technica ATHANC7 noise-cancelling headphones which have been decent but they have always had sound leakage problems. And the build quality wasn't the greatest (or my traveling just really beat them up). 

I've been looking heavily at the Sennheiser HD 598s. Not sure if there's a better option for my use / demands. Also not sure if it is important, I'm partially deaf in my left ear - so lows are difficult for me to distinguish left ear, my right ear tends to compensate.

Thanks for your advice! 

Let me tell you right now that the HD5xx series is open and thus very bad for airline use. Honestly, the Bose QC15 fits your bill to a tee, even if its sound may not up to the typical $300 standard.

Apr 15, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #552 of 5,364

I guess the M80 is not a bad choice. It is built incredibly well and has an incredible warranty. I'd consider in ear if you're doing longer listening sessions though. The RE262 does need to be amped so that ads a little a cost. Maybe consider the Weston 2 and the GR07, both of which are great unamped. The Westone 2 has good treble and the GR07 excellent bass; both have good mids. But if you're only listening for an hour at a time, get the M80.
Quote:
Not really.

Apr 15, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #553 of 5,364

Agreed on the HD598 not being ideal for travel. Have you tried iem's? The HF5 can be had for $100, leaving you nearly enough for a HD598 at home!
Quote:
Let me tell you right now that the HD5xx series is open and thus very bad for airline use. Honestly, the Bose QC15 fits your bill to a tee, even if its sound may not up to the typical $300 standard.

Apr 15, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #554 of 5,364
What is the best option for $500 & over earbuds? Music listening is so varied - everything from Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, AC/DC through to singer/songwriter and heavy bass stuff.
I'm currently using Klipsch S4 (& have bought & tried all sorts from Sennheiser, UE, Grado) but would like to see just how much better the sound could get.

See ya,
L

Apr 16, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #555 of 5,364
Hey guys I was just wondering if I could get some advice as to whether or not I should get the RE0s. 
I currently have the Meelec CX21 but I want to upgrade and I'm tempted to try an analytical IEM  before jumping in and paying $200 for something like the GR07. 
My music sources will be an iPod Touch 2nd Gen and an iPod Video (rockboxed). 
I listen to a mix of metal genres including Metalcore, Death metal, Melodic Death and Speed metal (and the occasional J-Pop, K-Pop and Dubstep) and I realise that the quality of the recordings may result in some issues when it comes to an analytical IEM. 
It is my ultimate intention to get a GR07 or DBA-02 MKII at the end of the year so the extremely cheap price of the RE0 is very appealing.
If needed I can get a FiiO E5 portable amp reasonably easily and it wouldn't hurt to have a portable amp handy.

Your opinions?

Thanks,
Naero

Users who are viewing this thread

Back