Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Apr 12, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #526 of 5,364
I think that the Westone 2 is a really good recommendation for you, at that price point. Maybe not the best detail but it has the other requirements. (Can be had for that price from EarphoneSolutions w/ current coupon code). Another option would be the Ortofon EQ5 but that would require buying used.

Quote:
I could use some help. So I expect to eventually get a new pair of IEMs since my RE-Zeros went to the workbench. I was wondering what to get, and my preferences are these:
  1. I really need detail. Don't interpret that as me wanting a bright or lifeless IEM, just something that can pick up the micro-aspects of songs, the ability to discern exactly when a drum beat ends and starts.
  2. Overall neutral signature, I wouldn't mind something more on the warm/bassy side of life, but I'd prefer if nothing at all was emphasized. This makes it easier to equalize to my preferences.
  3. Decent extension on both ends.
  4. Natural un-recessed mids. Not exactly emphasized, but I feel that if there's any spikes or valleys in the mid-frequencies it's really obvious with vocals and ruins the musical experience.
  5. Budget up to 200$.

So far I've been considering the Fishcer Audio DBA-022 MKII, but I'm open to other suggestions. I assume balanced armatures are the way to go at this price point and with my preferences. Feel free to point me to models you haven't heard yourself, but you've read about them.

Apr 13, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #527 of 5,364

Quote:
I think that the Westone 2 is a really good recommendation for you, at that price point. Maybe not the best detail but it has the other requirements. (Can be had for that price from EarphoneSolutions w/ current coupon code). Another option would be the Ortofon EQ5 but that would require buying used.

The problem is that detail is really the big requirement for me. The EQ5 sounds great, but the ergonomics are weird with no strain relief, but I'll still hold it in consideration.

Apr 13, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #530 of 5,364

Definitely the Westone 4. UM3X is a better studio monitor which is not bad for rock because it has plenty of bass. The W4 bass though is better (less sloppy and more extended), the mids are fantastic, the treble is much more engaging... Just an overall better earphone I think, but especially for those genres!
Quote:
I need some advice here, i am choosing between westone 4r or um3x rc? I listen to j-pop, chinese pop, most of them female vocals, i hate rock, lady gaga etc..type music, which should i buy?

Apr 13, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #532 of 5,364
I need to get some  new headphones for the gym, running, cycling and all that.

The last pair I had were a pair of cheap Senn hook earphones that did the job, but they weren't fantastic.

Looking for another pair of hook earphones, preferably with in-ear buds since I have odd ear hole/canals, so getting a good fit, although not impossible, can be a bit of a faff sometimes, so anything to secure a good fit is a bonus. Not too fussed about the sound quality, as long as they're passable by head-fi standards.

I was looking at the Senn/Adidas OMX 680(i) headphones, but I don't think they have an in-ear plug. So while I'm sure they may fit the bill, it would be nice if they did have a plug for a better fit. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Edit: Forgot to mention, my budget is probably around the £30-40 mark. Tops.

Apr 13, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #533 of 5,364
I'm looking to get a pair of universal which has a lush mid, well extended ends and is relatively cheap, about $200 tops.
Any recommendation?
I'm currently considering the GR07, Re262 but want a more diverse range to try out at my local hi-fi store.

Thanks!

Apr 13, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #534 of 5,364
Need advice on headphones.

Budget:  Somewhat flexible $300 or less but would go a little higher if need be.
Type:  Over the ear noise cancelling (possibly) - I do a lot of business travel so something to eliminate jet noise is ideal. Also, needs to be very little sound leakage due to office life and travel.
Use:  Really range from watching movies to music. Music that I prefer to listen too includes mostly 80s genre, instrumentals, Motown, 50s Doo Wop, but 80s being the majority. Specific 80s music would include artisits  Hall and Oates, Billy Joel, INXS, U2, Van Halen, Aerosmith, Ozzy, Motely Crue, Madonna, Metallica, Dixie Midnight Runners, and really the list just goes on and on.
Listening Devices: Primarily ipod and cell phone, computer, and tablet. Also my Pioneer receiver (primarily used for home theater but also for music listening).

I have a set of Audio-Technica ATHANC7 noise-cancelling headphones which have been decent but they have always had sound leakage problems. And the build quality wasn't the greatest (or my traveling just really beat them up). 

I've been looking heavily at the Sennheiser HD 598s. Not sure if there's a better option for my use / demands. Also not sure if it is important, I'm partially deaf in my left ear - so lows are difficult for me to distinguish left ear, my right ear tends to compensate.

Thanks for your advice! 

Apr 13, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #535 of 5,364
I think the GR07 doesn't have very well extended treble. The Westone 2 may be a good choice. The RE262 is said to have really good mids, as does the W2.

Quote:
I'm looking to get a pair of universal which has a lush mid, well extended ends and is relatively cheap, about $200 tops.
Any recommendation?
I'm currently considering the GR07, Re262 but want a more diverse range to try out at my local hi-fi store.

Thanks!

Apr 13, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #536 of 5,364
A bit unusual request, since I'm not looking for music headphones, but ones for games. For my PSP to be more precise. I just prefer to play in phones, but I often have long gaming sessions and look for comfy, rather fun (portable gaming isn't that much competitive as PC FPSs
wink.gif
), and my PSP wouldn't die try exhausted while trying to power them (portables or some "lighter" full-size, since IIRC we don't have a general guidance thread).
Want something from a rather low price range, so I dunno - are for example KSC75 comfortable? Never had clip-ons...

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #538 of 5,364

Not sure about the KSC75. A lot of people talk highly of the ATh-AD700 or 900 for gaming.
Quote:
A bit unusual request, since I'm not looking for music headphones, but ones for games. For my PSP to be more precise. I just prefer to play in phones, but I often have long gaming sessions and look for comfy, rather fun (portable gaming isn't that much competitive as PC FPSs
wink.gif
), and my PSP wouldn't die try exhausted while trying to power them (portables or some "lighter" full-size, since IIRC we don't have a general guidance thread).
Want something from a rather low price range, so I dunno - are for example KSC75 comfortable? Never had clip-ons...

Yeah, an amp will make them sound their best. They're of higher impedance so i wouldn't really try them unamped, though you could probably still hear them! A cheap Fiio E11 can be found used here around $50 or new for $65 from Amazon.

Quote:
Is it true that the 262 requires an amp to drive so it sounds better? ANy idea if it plays fine out of an iPod?

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #539 of 5,364

Thank you! Will factor these costs in when deciding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imackler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, an amp will make them sound their best. They're of higher impedance so i wouldn't really try them unamped, though you could probably still hear them! A cheap Fiio E11 can be found used here around $50 or new for $65 from Amazon.

Apr 14, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #540 of 5,364
I would really appreciate some advice if possible please....

Had IEM's and moved to headphones, had sennheiser px360 which sounded very good but I couldn't get on with a couple of minor points - 1 being the heat build up due to the pads covering my ears.

I've since decided on ear portables is certainly the way to go, so am currently using a pair of akg k450's, easiest way I can describe these are 'nice' some times they sound good and sometimes they don't sound so good. Tend to find myself eq'ing a fair bit.

So I'm after recommendations for portable on ear headphones with the following criteria:

• closed back as will be worn in public/streets/bus etc
• supra aural so on ear, not over or around
• detachable cable would be good - so can add a longer one if I listen at home and plug into my naim uniti
• main source would be iPhone 4, 320kbp's or higher files, used with a fiio e11 amp
• music genre's are mainly dance, trance, house, pop, electronic

Budget, luckily can be really flexible (so long as I don't get caught signing for a parcel lol)

I've been considering the following:

Sennheiser hd 25
Beyerdynamic dt1350
Aiaiai tma1
Eskuche 45
Audio technica es 55 (but cable cannot be detached)
Akg k181 dj - very mixed reviews

The biggest factor 2nd to the sound is they must be supra aural an on ear

Ive checked out the reviews threads, watched countless YouTube videos and read other review sites but still cannot decide. I'm not lucky enough to be swamped by local hifi stores (essex uk), my local options to listen to stuff are hmv (poor choice) or an independent who stock Bose, b&w or grado.

Richer sounds is around an hour away but out of the above they only hold the es55's

Any input would be really really appreciate

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back