Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Apr 9, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #511 of 5,364
I'm looking for a pair of portable phones (not IEMs) with a similar sound signature to my ATH-A900X. Currently thinking of the ATH-ESW9 or the ATH-M50. I mostly listen to electronic and rock music, and prefer something with a slight bass emphasis.

Apr 9, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #512 of 5,364
Hi, looking for portable headphones. Currently own the v-moda m-80, RS1i and an HD598. I use to love my v-moda's but after awhile with the Grado's I realize I suddenly am not satisfied anymore. I acquired the HD598 recently and I really like the warm sound of these headphones. I like them too especially for a lot of lyrical music, but they sound muddy and unclear for a lot of my instrumental music in comparison. What are the available headphones in the $400 price range that would be good upgrades from the v-moda and HD598?

The only real requirements for portability to me is that it needs to be easy to drive and that they do not let music leak out because I want to listen at a decent level without disturbing others around me although I don't care much if external sounds leak in. It does not have to have a similar sound signature to any of my previous headphones and in fact I would love to have some more variety anyways like a bass heavy headphone. So what are some options for decent isolation at around $400?

No IEMs, not a fan.

Apr 10, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #513 of 5,364

Hello guys!

I am looking for an IEM between 70-150 USD.
The sound-signature I am looking for is a bit dark - I really hate sibilance in the highs and find myself pretty sensitive to that. Right now I am using the Apple In-ear headphones but I've grown tired of the lack of bass in them. However, I don't want the biggest bass around, since I like a fairly balanced sound. 
I listen to everything from indie, hip hop and house to rock, metal and hardcore etc. 

Apr 10, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #514 of 5,364

Quote:

Hello guys!

I am looking for an IEM between 70-150 USD.
The sound-signature I am looking for is a bit dark - I really hate sibilance in the highs and find myself pretty sensitive to that. Right now I am using the Apple In-ear headphones but I've grown tired of the lack of bass in them. However, I don't want the biggest bass around, since I like a fairly balanced sound. 
I listen to everything from indie, hip hop and house to rock, metal and hardcore etc. 

Try looking in this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-234-iems-compared-ue-500-paradigm-shift-e3m-added-04-08-12

Though not exaustive, it's pretty complete and I chose my present iem(Ety's HF5) there. They are US$ 99 @ amazon right now.

You could check also klisch S4, UE600 or the westone 1 to see if any of them fit your description

Apr 10, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #515 of 5,364

Quote:

Try looking in this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-234-iems-compared-ue-500-paradigm-shift-e3m-added-04-08-12

Though not exaustive, it's pretty complete and I chose my present iem(Ety's HF5) there. They are US$ 99 @ amazon right now.

You could check also klisch S4, UE600 or the westone 1 to see if any of them fit your description

He said he hated sibilance, I would stay away from the Klipsch S4's in that case.

Apr 10, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #516 of 5,364
I've had a pair of Super.fi 5 pro's for over 4 years now and while I've been happy with them, I'm ready for something new. I guess the main thing I am looking for is something that will blow me away like I was when I went from the iPod earbuds to the UE's. I'd like something with clear bass and mid's that's a little more balanced than my Super.fi's. I use my headphones a few hours a day, so comfort is important to me and to be honest the super.fi's are just not that comfortable after an hour or so.

Initially I was thinking about the 4R's or SE 535's, but will they really be that much better than my UE's?

I'm making quite a bit of money now so price is not really a big factor, I've been reading about customs on here and I'm thinking about the ES5's or the Heir 8.A's. However I am living in South America now so I would have to find an Audiologist out here or wait 3 months until I go to the states again, and even then I will only be back for 2 weeks. I'm going to email both companies to see if they recommend anyone down here. 

Additionally, I think I will just continue to use my i-devices until I can try out an amp and see what I am missing.

What do you think? If I get the 4R's now, will I just be buying the customs in three months anyway because the difference will be marginal?

Apr 10, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #517 of 5,364
Greetings,

After going through several pairs of UE Triple-fi 9s, and a pair of Audio-Technics EM9Ds, I've realized I need something a bit sturdier (but still providing good sound).  For the UEs, I would go through a stock cord every couple months, and finally the earphone/cord connection would get loose and I'd lose one of the IEMs.  For the ATH, the cord broke at the connection to one of the IEMs.  I do take care of my stuff, but need them to handle going to the gym and commuting regularly.  My primary criteria are (in this order):

• Durability
  • Comfort and "secure-ness" when running and lifting
  • Preferably under $120, but could go a higher if there's something in the next rung that merits buying

As for sound, I really like the Triple-fis warmth, airy-ness and controlled bass. The ATHs were accurate, but too bright for me.  I've also used Monster Turbines and enjoyed, but found a bit bassy and muddy for me.  I listen to mostly rock (e.g., Titus Andronicus, GBV), some folky rocky (Crooked Fingers) and electronica (LCD Sound System), and some Jazz.

Any help is much appreciated.

Apr 10, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #518 of 5,364
Need a new set of IEM. 

Have the Brainwavz M2 but the left side crapped out on me and now need a new set. I liked the M2's quite a bit.

Looking to spend $50-$100.

Will be used with iPod Classic and Fiio e11. 

Thanks!!

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #519 of 5,364

Quote:
Need a new set of IEM. 

Have the Brainwavz M2 but the left side crapped out on me and now need a new set. I liked the M2's quite a bit.

Looking to spend $50-$100.

Will be used with iPod Classic and Fiio e11. 

Thanks!!

You're going to think I'm crazy, but you can spend much less and get an even better sound. The Phillips SHE3580 are excellent IEM worth double,e triple their price. I was skeptical about them but went ahead hearing higher members recommendations here and bought some to check them out, they are unbelievable. Don't even look at the price, just purchase them save the rest of your money and get ready to be amazed. Check the IEM's I own on my profile, the Phillips SHE3580 are a cut above most In my list.

And you're in luck, I pair mine with an E11 and they sing like no tomorrow. Just take my crazy advice and trust me. You won't be disappointed.

Read more on them here.

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #520 of 5,364
Hi all,

Long time lurker and recently joined.

I wanted to get some advice from yawl re: IEMs and more portable phones.

I'm going to be upfront, I'm a sennheiser dude. I like the sound neutrality, I like the soundstage, and I like the general build and feel. I've been using senn cans for 10+ years and pretty biased towards them. I also own a pair of Grado's, AKG's, AT's in a full can size.

I live in Hong Kong so looking for something very portable with fairly good sound isolation.. I've been eyeballing the Etymotic line, as they've been touted to be the most sound neutral of the IEM brands. But I tried the HF5 in store yesterday and wasn't feeling it. I also tried the Shure SE535 and found it to be pretty good but a bit out of my price range.

Sennheiser has such a mixed bag in the IEM field that I don't know where to look so I might be looking at another brand.

What would you guys recommend? Needs to have good sound isolation, a good built in mic (usable with android, hate apple.), and a solid withdrawn neutral sound. I'm looking to spend between $100-200USD but that can be adjusted of course if that is unreasonable.

Cheers,
Elsdon

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #522 of 5,364
SE315? No way! I just got my SE215 and they are not at basshead recommended. I know a chart doesn't tell you everything, but it does give you some insight: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/shure-ear-series-se215-se315-se425-and-se535-page-2

As you can see the quantity of bass coming out of the SE215 is much higher. The SE315 could possibly have better detail in its bass but I'm sure he is looking for quantity.

If you just want straight up bass and not much of anything else, might as well get something from Monster. They are overpriced, but you wanted bass and people will think you are cool. 

Apr 12, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #523 of 5,364
Without douct the bassiest IEM I own and have heard would be Hippo VB. It's like strapping yourself beneath a launching rocket. 

Apr 12, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #524 of 5,364
Hi,

I'm a newbie here and i found this forum really helpful. Right now I have Sunrise SW-Xscape V.1 for easy listening and vocal-oriented music. Plus an iPod Classic (wolfson chip) & FIIO E6 as portable amp.

I need a specific suggestion on I.E.M for trance and hard-rock music. Right now I have my choices down in to several I.E.M's (which is under $100 budget)

1. SoundMagic E10
2. Hippo VB
3. Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision
4. Brainwavz M2 or M4
5. Others??

Really appreciate your suggestion... thx..

Apr 12, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #525 of 5,364
I could use some help. So I expect to eventually get a new pair of IEMs since my RE-Zeros went to the workbench. I was wondering what to get, and my preferences are these:
  1. I really need detail. Don't interpret that as me wanting a bright or lifeless IEM, just something that can pick up the micro-aspects of songs, the ability to discern exactly when a drum beat ends and starts.
  2. Overall neutral signature, I wouldn't mind something more on the warm/bassy side of life, but I'd prefer if nothing at all was emphasized. This makes it easier to equalize to my preferences.
  3. Decent extension on both ends.
  4. Natural un-recessed mids. Not exactly emphasized, but I feel that if there's any spikes or valleys in the mid-frequencies it's really obvious with vocals and ruins the musical experience.
  5. Budget up to 200$.

So far I've been considering the Fishcer Audio DBA-022 MKII, but I'm open to other suggestions. I assume balanced armatures are the way to go at this price point and with my preferences. Feel free to point me to models you haven't heard yourself, but you've read about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back