Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Apr 5, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #421 of 5,364
My thread got hidden a little which is fine because it's given me a chance to really tweak the SS I'm looking for.  I really enjoy my CKM50's and their clarity . I feel like they are the first iem that's made classical vocals/opera sound exciting and I can really hear vocal harmonies which make me happy. I absolutely love the isolation of my JVC HD headphones - I can't even hear myself typing on the computer and that's what I want.

I don't want to be on stage with a singer in my face - I want to be in the first 5-ish row of the theater. I'd like some treble sparkle (without it being piercing or harsh or having sibilance), instrument separation and depth in the soundstage (3-D if possible). I do not want bass bleed into the mids and do not want a veiled sound.  I'm using an Iphone 4S and the UE600's I had were loud, even on the lowest volume.  I'm not using an amp so the Iphone and Ipod nano (4th gen?) are my main sources. $250 or lower is the budget.  I've ruled out the EX600's (Not a Sony fan) and fairly decent cable would be good.  

The options I've been given so far are the SE 425, Westone  (do these have to be worn behind the neck?), GR01 and TDK BA200.  Told to stay away from the Triplefi 10, SE 325. 

Apr 5, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #422 of 5,364
I think the Westone 2 describes what you want.

Quote:
My thread got hidden a little which is fine because it's given me a chance to really tweak the SS I'm looking for.  I really enjoy my CKM50's and their clarity . I feel like they are the first iem that's made classical vocals/opera sound exciting and I can really hear vocal harmonies which make me happy. I absolutely love the isolation of my JVC HD headphones - I can't even hear myself typing on the computer and that's what I want.

I don't want to be on stage with a singer in my face - I want to be in the first 5-ish row of the theater. I'd like some treble sparkle (without it being piercing or harsh or having sibilance), instrument separation and depth in the soundstage (3-D if possible). I do not want bass bleed into the mids and do not want a veiled sound.  I'm using an Iphone 4S and the UE600's I had were loud, even on the lowest volume.  I'm not using an amp so the Iphone and Ipod nano (4th gen?) are my main sources. $250 or lower is the budget.  I've ruled out the EX600's (Not a Sony fan) and fairly decent cable would be good.  

The options I've been given so far are the SE 425, Westone  (do these have to be worn behind the neck?), GR01 and TDK BA200.  Told to stay away from the Triplefi 10, SE 325. 

Apr 5, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #424 of 5,364
Westone's need to be worn behind the neck, right? If so, I would prefer something I can wear in front/under my chin. Any suggestions aside from Westone?

Apr 5, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #425 of 5,364

Quote:
I guess mainly I don't like online purchase is due to my past experience purchase on eBay. I made a payment for a phone but it came in as a counterfeit and it couldn't be turned back on after 2 days of use, I guess I wouldn't know if the product is what I brought if I just purchased online and shipped to my house from untrustworthy seller.

Well, if you buy from amazon or reputable dealers, that shouldn't be a problem at all...

Quote:
Thanks for the responses guys - I find it mind boggling how J cords arent the norm, I found y cords the most annoying thing next to i plugs.
I guess I'll have to sacrifice the J cords as I deem the i plug a higher risk for breaking - I put the phone in my jean pocket when Im out and am worried about the leg bend.

Is this still too strict?!

L plug and y cord - Klipsch Image S4?

A lot of IEMs use L-plugs, such as the Fischer Audio Eterna, Hippo VB, MEElectronics CC51, VSonic GR06, and a few others that fit your criteria pretty well.

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry, I don't think very many people around here have heard the akg in-ears, though ljokerl may have. From what I've heard, though, they don't have the best reputation for value and build quality. The Atrios I think are marketed as the M5 with MG7 drivers, and there's a 50% off coupon floating around the deals thread.

The Sennheiser CX300 II Precision are good?

Not really, no...

Quote:
I have the Klipsch s4, and i want better phones. i want to spend around 100$, using iphone, listing to alot of genres. lets say focus on electronic music (which mean good bass)

Atrio MG7

Quote:
I'm looking for suggestions on a set of portable, on ear headphones for a user that is VERY happy with his old 600 ohm AKG 240M's.  Price range is $50-60 US.  No IEM's please...

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the AKG's sound sig. Can you describe it? Also, it isolation going to be important?

Quote:
Westone's need to be worn behind the neck, right? If so, I would prefer something I can wear in front/under my chin. Any suggestions aside from Westone?

Nope, you just loop over the ear, but you can have it still go under your chin. I think a lot of the dual-driver IEMs using the TWFK driver also fit the bill well (i.e. GR01).

Quote:
Thank you so much for your responses :)!

One final question: If you could put a price on the Monster Turbine series, how much would you say each are worth individually?

Probably like $50 for the original turbines and ~$150-$200 for the Pros.

Apr 5, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #426 of 5,364

Quote:
Probably like $50 for the original turbines and ~$150-$200 for the Pros.

Wow.. If this is the case, they are disgustingly overpriced 
blink.gif

Apr 5, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #429 of 5,364

Quote:
Quote:
If looking with bestbuy, check out their Sony MDR-EX310, they have a very wide 3D style Soundstage. I owned a pair for a few months, they really fit the bill nicely. Sure....Sony is a little mainstream but they have been doing this for a long time. EX310's are really well balanced. Also fitting all genres. They sure punch nice accurate bass too.

I tried looking at that on best buy online, but they only have the Sony ex10, would you think they have the EX310 in store?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+Earbud+Headphones/2204169.p?id=1218314736048&skuId=2204169

Apr 5, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #431 of 5,364

Quote:
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the AKG's sound sig. Can you describe it? Also, it isolation going to be important?

The 240M's are studio monitors.  I would describe their frequency response as fairly flat and un-colored.  Bass-Heads would say they are utterly lacking in bass.  For me, where they shine is in their accuracy and imaging.  I'm not that worried about isolation (whether it's a pair of cans ability to isolate my ears from the environment or their ability to isolate the environment from what I'm listening to).  However, I don't listen loud, so isolation may be something I should consider.  

To give you an example of the "accuracy and imaging" that I like... on classical/jazz recordings I love being able to pick out the artists fingers moving on strings, turning pages, breathing...etc.  I like that live feeling.  I understand that in a pair of portables I'm likely to have to sacrifice some of that "live-ness," but with the right cans I'll survive the trauma.  ;-p

I hope that helps you...  Thanks for your willingness to assist!!

Apr 5, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #432 of 5,364

Quote:
No, just over the ears. I wear mine under my chin and looped behind the ears.

Okay, cool - thanks for the help :).  So one person mentioned the Westone 2 and I was also looking at the (UM2 or the 3 at the higher end but a decent sale right now at around $279) - thoughts on which one?  The one negative I saw for the 3 is possible issues plugging it into the iPhone with a case on it.  It's come down to Westone, the BA200 or GR01. 

Apr 5, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #433 of 5,364
Hey guys, Im looking for some on or over ear headphones, I'm in college so they need to be light and not too bulky.
I quite like the look of AKG's range after trying a pair of k520's that my Dad has.
I know Im new but I need advice after seeing all my friends buy those Beats, which in my opinion are way overpriced for how they sound unless Im talking out of my ass of course haha.
Im just looking for something that will do a decent job at a wide range of music, everything from stuff like Nirvana all the way the way to wiz khalifa.
I have up to £120 (about $190) to spend on something decent.
Can you guys also keep it relatively simple for me in terms of technicalities, although I have done some research into headphones most if not all could run circles around me haha

Apr 5, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #434 of 5,364
Hey guys, Im looking for some on or over ear headphones, I'm in college so they need to be light and not too bulky.
I quite like the look of AKG's range after trying a pair of k520's that my Dad has.
I know Im new but I need advice after seeing all my friends buy those Beats, which in my opinion are way overpriced for how they sound unless Im talking out of my ass of course haha.
Im just looking for something that will do a decent job at a wide range of music, everything from stuff like Nirvana all the way the way to wiz khalifa.
I have up to £120 (about $190) to spend on something decent.
Can you guys also keep it relatively simple for me in terms of technicalities, although I have done some research into headphones most if not all could run circles around me haha

Audio Technica Es7
Portable, Yet able to be used with a desktop system.
Extremely high aesthetic/ beauty value.
Clean detailed and overall balanced sound with slight emphasis on treble.
Easy to adjust to comfortable wear, and replaceable pads.
Just my two cents.

Apr 5, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #435 of 5,364

Quote:
Audio Technica Es7
Portable, Yet able to be used with a desktop system.
Extremely high aesthetic/ beauty value.
Clean detailed and overall balanced sound with slight emphasis on treble.
Easy to adjust to comfortable wear, and replaceable pads.
Just my two cents.

Thanks man, just checked those out, they look pretty sweet :) also if it helps I would prefer if they had a detachable auxiliary like the shure srh 440, where you can take the wire out, thanks for responding so quick. Much appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back