Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Apr 5, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #406 of 5,364

Quote:
Quote:
Hello,
So ive been bouncing about the forums and dived in at the deep end to try and find some new IEMS, and a week later I still havent got any closer to it, so I thought I would ask for some help from you lovely folk!

I have a budget of £50 - about $80 (amazon.com fairs a bit well for me as some of the prices on .co.uk are ridiculously hiked up, even with tax + customs)

Im specifically looking for ones with L shaped connectors and asymmetrical wires, like the cx300 (my left earphone died after 6 and a half years :frowning2: )
I pretty much only listen to rock/hardrock/alternative and some electronic/dub - stuff with bass.
All of it is played from a HTC desire S.

Ive read over the buying guide and the Multi IEM review threads, but havent found anything suitable so far. The turbines looked good for it until I found out it was a l connector.
Ive not read this entire thread though, so if theres something I missed in here just slap me in the direction of the page and I'll read!

Check out AmpCity.co.uk, they have the RE-ZERO's for £69.99 which is a bit above your budget but well worth it and they have the L plug, not sure about the wires

I doubt he'll find the bass he's looking for for dubstep and hard rock with those... Also no J-cord.

Quote:
Sorry, earbuds. I don't really know have a number down since I'm not sure what's a reasonable "low- cost" of a pair of good- average earphones.

Sorry, I'm not too familiar with the earbud market, but there's a couple Earbud shootouts on this forum that are worth a look.
EDIT: Nevermind then. For <$50 you can get a few pretty good pairs, and around $70-$100 there are pairs that get to be quite good.

Apr 5, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #407 of 5,364

Quote:
I meant IEM!!! Sorry for the confusion guys! Lol...

That's ok. I thought you meant IEM. 
smile.gif
 Well if you want something that's going to tide you over while saving I'll recommend the SoundMAGIC E10 for $35. It's not going to break your budget and offers excellent sound for it's price range. It has deep punchy bass forward mids and non offensive highs. One of the best I have heard in it's price range.(E10 has a very energetic signature) And best of all suits all genres without fuss or complaints. Build quality is sturdy, cable is thicker than average with metal housings. Don't under estimate the price. she's a real keeper.

Read more here..

Apr 5, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #409 of 5,364

Quote:
Thanks a lot, I do like the concept of the sound agin E10 a lot but I was wondering if there are options I can have access to from bestbuy?

If looking with bestbuy, check out their Sony MDR-EX310, they have a very wide 3D style Soundstage. I owned a pair for a few months, they really fit the bill nicely. Sure....Sony is a little mainstream but they have been doing this for a long time. EX310's are really well balanced. Also fitting all genres. They sure punch nice accurate bass too.

I'm thinking of repurchasing another pair down the line. because the clarity and balance they have is hard to beat within that price range for me, (Sony's house signature is my kind of taste) I have some nice IEM's but find I'm always needing to change for genres which becomes a pain honestly. The EX300 and EX310's solve that problem with an excellent sound.

Apr 5, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #412 of 5,364
I guess mainly I don't like online purchase is due to my past experience purchase on eBay. I made a payment for a phone but it came in as a counterfeit and it couldn't be turned back on after 2 days of use, I guess I wouldn't know if the product is what I brought if I just purchased online and shipped to my house from untrustworthy seller.

Apr 5, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #413 of 5,364
If looking with bestbuy, check out their Sony MDR-EX310, they have a very wide 3D style Soundstage. I owned a pair for a few months, they really fit the bill nicely. Sure....Sony is a little mainstream but they have been doing this for a long time. EX310's are really well balanced. Also fitting all genres. They sure punch nice accurate bass too.

I tried looking at that on best buy online, but they only have the Sony ex10, would you think they have the EX310 in store?

Apr 5, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #414 of 5,364
Thanks for the responses guys - I find it mind boggling how J cords arent the norm, I found y cords the most annoying thing next to i plugs.
I guess I'll have to sacrifice the J cords as I deem the i plug a higher risk for breaking - I put the phone in my jean pocket when Im out and am worried about the leg bend.

Is this still too strict?!

L plug and y cord - Klipsch Image S4?

Apr 5, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #415 of 5,364
Alright, so my Westone 4Rs will be here today.  Now I'm considering sending them back and instead ordering a pair of either JH5 customs or 1964-T or 1964-Q customs.  I've never owned a custom before.  Currently I have the UM3X which I'm not sure whether I'll keep or sell once I get new IEMs.

I love the UM3X but don't like how muffled it can be, sometimes almost to the point of being nasally.  I do like the instrument separation and balanced EQ, however.  So I believe I'll love the 4s, but at the same time it seems a pair of customs will always be preferred.

What does everyone think?  Do I return the Westone 4Rs without opening (save the restocking fee) and go straight for a custom or keep the W4s?  By the way, I don't want to spend more than $550 so UMs, custom Westones, or anything above JH5 is out.

Apr 5, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #416 of 5,364
Anyone looking for budget In-ear phones with plenty bass might want to consider the £23 ($30) Sony MDR-NC020 that originally came with the top of the range X-series. I bought a pair of Head Direct RE-Zeros fully expecting them to be an upgrade but actually much prefered the original Sony NC020's by far..  maybe its just my sound signiture tastes but the RE-Zeros just didn't have enough bass and sounded very thin and one dimensional in comparison... very dissapointing after reading so many positive reviews.

I now own a pair of TF10's which I'm enjoying very much... yes they are much better than the NC020's but then they are more than 4 times the price.

Avilable on Ebay and Lunashops website the Sony MDR-NC020's are excellent value for money, obviously the NC feature wont work in non Sony X-series players and you may need to put a 1-2mm grommet on the Jack for some players to get stereo lol, but definately great bang for the bucks if like me, you enjoy more bass than normal.

Apr 5, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #417 of 5,364

Quote:
Sorry, I don't think very many people around here have heard the akg in-ears, though ljokerl may have. From what I've heard, though, they don't have the best reputation for value and build quality. The Atrios I think are marketed as the M5 with MG7 drivers, and there's a 50% off coupon floating around the deals thread.

The Sennheiser CX300 II Precision are good?

Apr 5, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #420 of 5,364

Quote:
Hi!

I have had the Etymotic HF5 for a short while now and i have fallen in love with them. I was wondering if someone could help me figure out what a nice upgrade would be? My budget is roughly 450 dollars not included shipping. Is there any in ear headphones out there that would give me a good upgrade with the same qualities as the HF5? Or would i get more bang for my buck by buying a new DAP and Amp for them?

Cheers 

The ER4P or the ER4S w/ an amp are very good upgrades if you love the HF5. Personally though, the best upgrade to the HF5 I've found is the Grado GR10. It is analytical, with fantastic mids and has a little more bass. I've owned several top tier earphones and consider the GR10 the best of the lot, especially for those who like the analytical nature of the etymotic sound but want to take it to the next step.

Quote:
Alright, so my Westone 4Rs will be here today.  Now I'm considering sending them back and instead ordering a pair of either JH5 customs or 1964-T or 1964-Q customs.  I've never owned a custom before.  Currently I have the UM3X which I'm not sure whether I'll keep or sell once I get new IEMs.

I love the UM3X but don't like how muffled it can be, sometimes almost to the point of being nasally.  I do like the instrument separation and balanced EQ, however.  So I believe I'll love the 4s, but at the same time it seems a pair of customs will always be preferred.

What does everyone think?  Do I return the Westone 4Rs without opening (save the restocking fee) and go straight for a custom or keep the W4s?  By the way, I don't want to spend more than $550 so UMs, custom Westones, or anything above JH5 is out.

Really tough question. I've yet to hear of anyone who enjoys the W4R more than customs (who has them). I haven't gotten customs but I've largely been put off because I need to take them on and off quickly (customs are a little tougher to take out). I also have stuck with universals because I feel that the warranty from custom manufacturers scares me a little. I want like a five year warranty for that cost! I know that Westone only offers two years but they also offer cheaper replacements if your iem breaks, even out of warranty. If someone said that customs last five years, I'd be much more likely to go that rout. I've actually headed more and more to over headphones because they're repairable. Apart from etymotic and shure, the iem world seems a little sketchy regarding cost and repairs. Just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back