Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Apr 4, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #391 of 5,364
What are some good third-party tips to use with Monster Turbines? I've tried the Comply T-400/S-400, but they make the IEMs sound... muddy-ish.  The included Monster tips don't do it too well for me. The Monster Supertips don't do it for me and the Monster Foam tips are eh.  

I'm considering the Sony Hybrids, but what are your suggestions?

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #392 of 5,364
So I recently bought IEMs by Sunrise a few days ago. The owner said they were Xcapes V.1 but I noticed that they don't have those green lines on the jack and have a different stress reliever on it too. But when I looked at what the Xcited and Impressive Edition Sunrises look like, they look exactly like the IEMs I have WHICH AREN'T V.1. The owner of the IEMs has no idea which version it is so is there any distinctive way to figure out what model it is?

Apr 5, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #393 of 5,364

Quote:
Quote:

I have not heard very much about the AKG K370, but for bass, see if you can still find that 50% off deal on the Atrio MG7s, which brings them down to $100. Great deal for bassheads at that price. 

thanks for reply, but the atrio mg7 i don't find. I want to know how are the akg k350. thanks

Sorry, I don't think very many people around here have heard the akg in-ears, though ljokerl may have. From what I've heard, though, they don't have the best reputation for value and build quality. The Atrios I think are marketed as the M5 with MG7 drivers, and there's a 50% off coupon floating around the deals thread.

Quote:
I recently sent my Monster Turbine Pro Golds in for repair, as one of the speakers blew. I'm getting a replacement, and thus I'm pretty sure i have the opportunity to send them back for a full refund.
So, i was thinking about maybe getting a pair of on-ear or over-ear headphones instead.

They would need good bass, fair looks, and be comfortable to wear around the neck.  I have owned the M50's, but they were way to large and bulky to wear around my neck, and i also felt like a complete dork wearing them in public, because of their bulkiness.

Would anyone have a recommendation? Budget is about 200$ i guess.

For $200, there's the M80 and HD25, both excellent portables, but with different sound signatures. You should go read some reviews and see which one suits your need better.

For those genres you might consider the ATH-M50 from Sound Professions for $119 (w coupon code.)
Quote:
Oops, I did not notice this thread when I came in, sorry about that. Reposting from my other thread, I hope I get some advice.

Hi all,

Just wanted to say this site was higly recommended from many sources, so I come here seeking advice from the audiophiles, 

I've been wanting to upgrade to a new set of portable headphones for awhile now (I've always bought budgeted ones), and from the list I've read here : http://www.head-fi.org/a/buying-guide-headphones-by-price-range ATH - ES7 is around my price range. Is ATH - ES7 still a good buy?

However, if you have better recommendations, do let me know. I'm planning to buy a new set soon, so your multiple recommendations would help a great deal. my budget is around $130.

Some things to keep note of:

- Must be portable headphones
- Not too bulky and big
- comfortable
- source is from my iphone 4
- I usually listen to trance and electronic genre

Thanks all!

I don't know if there are many good portables in that price range, but I can tell you that the M50s will probably be too bulky and not portable enough, mostly because of the 10-foot cable, but also because they're on the big side.

Quote:
Thank you for the response 50,

Anyway i can order the shures or meelectronics and have them delivered to me by a friend next week, however i can't order them right now since im staying at a hotel and im not sure for how long so if shipping takes a littl ebit longer than what im staying here i might miss them and i dont want that.

Anyway looks like i better wait to get what i am REALLY looking for, which looks like its probably between some RE0s, Shure 215s or the A151s. So yeah, i think im looking for fun sound and good soundstage while being sort of analytical, i know i won't find the perfect one at this price range but heh, one can dream.

Thanks!

No problem, and good luck with your search.

Quote:
I was recommended the EX600 in this thread but I really don't like the form factor and I'm not a huge Sony fan.  I prefer something a little smaller or that sits flush with your ear.  Out of what I have - I like the sound of the B&O A8 and the soundstage - obviously no isolation.  The ATH-CKM50 shines for me on acoustics, some classical, some rock/alternative but the bass can be a little much at times and I've been getting some distortion in the upper mids on female vocals - sibilance is also an issue and they can be on the bright side. I had the UE600's and liked the sound but they sounded veiled to me.  Is there another recommendation (not the GR07) that will work?  I've been interested in: Shure 425, TF10, TDK BA200 and FXT90.  I listen to all genres (especially rock and classical) but I do not really listen to rap or country.  Thanks :)

Do the RE272s fit your criteria for form factor?

Apr 5, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #394 of 5,364

Quote:
Hey! 

I'm hoping I could get some quick help from you guys. I'm looking for a pair of ear buds/IEMs that are reliable. I want them to last for as long as possible through some light working out/jogging. I'm not someone who's going to be sweating all over them though, so water-proof isn't big on my list, but definitely reliability in terms of cord strength and different sides NOT cutting out is. I've run through 4 pairs in 8 months, 3 from the sound cutting out and me having to fiddle around with the jack. Never again :frowning2:

I also prefer 90 degree jacks as I find they work better with my iPod and laptop but it's not a requirement. They're going to be multipurpose (laptop/iPod) but as for music preferences, hip-hop, jazz, blues, pop, classical. So I guess just best possible sound quality? I don't care if they're bass-heavy or not.

Noise-cancellation is also big on my list. I like being able to block out other noises. I'm a college student and taking plane flights/bus rides become quite annoying if all you can hear are engine noises. 

Price range? Below $80, my goal is below $40, but I doubt that's possible with my requirements, so I won't be surprised if the set is around $50, but try?

Alright I think that's it, thanks for your help in advance!

Just for build quality, maybe look into the DUNU IEMs, and also the MEElectronic S6, which is the new sport version of the ever-popular M6s.

Quote:
Quote:
Hey! 

I'm hoping I could get some quick help from you guys. I'm looking for a pair of ear buds/IEMs that are reliable. I want them to last for as long as possible through some light working out/jogging. I'm not someone who's going to be sweating all over them though, so water-proof isn't big on my list, but definitely reliability in terms of cord strength and different sides NOT cutting out is. I've run through 4 pairs in 8 months, 3 from the sound cutting out and me having to fiddle around with the jack. Never again :frowning2:

I also prefer 90 degree jacks as I find they work better with my iPod and laptop but it's not a requirement. They're going to be multipurpose (laptop/iPod) but as for music preferences, hip-hop, jazz, blues, pop, classical. So I guess just best possible sound quality? I don't care if they're bass-heavy or not.

Noise-cancellation is also big on my list. I like being able to block out other noises. I'm a college student and taking plane flights/bus rides become quite annoying if all you can hear are engine noises. 

Price range? Below $80, my goal is below $40, but I doubt that's possible with my requirements, so I won't be surprised if the set is around $50, but try?

Alright I think that's it, thanks for your help in advance!

A-Jay One, Two, Three, or Four
Monster Turbines

For durability, though?

Quote:
What are some good third-party tips to use with Monster Turbines? I've tried the Comply T-400/S-400, but they make the IEMs sound... muddy-ish.  The included Monster tips don't do it too well for me. The Monster Supertips don't do it for me and the Monster Foam tips are eh.  

I'm considering the Sony Hybrids, but what are your suggestions?

I don't have experience with Turbines specifically, but Sony Hybrids are always a good bet, and you can always use them with other IEMs if they don't work out here.

Apr 5, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #395 of 5,364
Hello,
So ive been bouncing about the forums and dived in at the deep end to try and find some new IEMS, and a week later I still havent got any closer to it, so I thought I would ask for some help from you lovely folk!

I have a budget of £50 - about $80 (amazon.com fairs a bit well for me as some of the prices on .co.uk are ridiculously hiked up, even with tax + customs)

Im specifically looking for ones with L shaped connectors and asymmetrical wires, like the cx300 (my left earphone died after 6 and a half years :frowning2: )
I pretty much only listen to rock/hardrock/alternative and some electronic/dub - stuff with bass.
All of it is played from a HTC desire S.

Ive read over the buying guide and the Multi IEM review threads, but havent found anything suitable so far. The turbines looked good for it until I found out it was a l connector.
Ive not read this entire thread though, so if theres something I missed in here just slap me in the direction of the page and I'll read!

Apr 5, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #396 of 5,364

Quote:
Hello,
So ive been bouncing about the forums and dived in at the deep end to try and find some new IEMS, and a week later I still havent got any closer to it, so I thought I would ask for some help from you lovely folk!

I have a budget of £50 - about $80 (amazon.com fairs a bit well for me as some of the prices on .co.uk are ridiculously hiked up, even with tax + customs)

Im specifically looking for ones with L shaped connectors and asymmetrical wires, like the cx300 (my left earphone died after 6 and a half years :frowning2: )
I pretty much only listen to rock/hardrock/alternative and some electronic/dub - stuff with bass.

Ive read over the buying guide and the Multi IEM review threads, but havent found anything suitable so far. The turbines looked good for it until I found out it was a l connector.
Ive not read this entire thread though, so if theres something I missed in here just slap me in the direction of the page and I'll read!

The problem with your criteria is that very few IEMs are actually j-corded, which limits your options to basically nothing, especially i you also want the l-plug. There are a lot of IEMs that have l-plugs, but if you're set on the j-cord, there's not a lot to offer.

Apr 5, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #397 of 5,364
Hi!

I have had the Etymotic HF5 for a short while now and i have fallen in love with them. I was wondering if someone could help me figure out what a nice upgrade would be? My budget is roughly 450 dollars not included shipping. Is there any in ear headphones out there that would give me a good upgrade with the same qualities as the HF5? Or would i get more bang for my buck by buying a new DAP and Amp for them?

Cheers 

Apr 5, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #398 of 5,364

Quote:
Hello,

If I'm not wrong, the Sony XBA series is j-corded, and so are some of their other models.. May want to take a look at those.

Apr 5, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #399 of 5,364

Quote:
Hi!

I have had the Etymotic HF5 for a short while now and i have fallen in love with them. I was wondering if someone could help me figure out what a nice upgrade would be? My budget is roughly 450 dollars not included shipping. Is there any in ear headphones out there that would give me a good upgrade with the same qualities as the HF5? Or would i get more bang for my buck by buying a new DAP and Amp for them?

Cheers 

Going the analytical route, you could probably upgrade for significantly less than $450. The Fischer Audio DBA-02 MK2, RE272, or ER-4 are all great choices, though since the HF5 is pretty good already the difference may not be as noticeable as you were hoping for. At the higher end, there's the j-phonics K2 and the Sony EX1000, or even some entry-level customs. If you haven't read them already, ljokerl's reviews are really good for getting a feel for how they all sound and how they compare to each other.

Quote:
Quote:
Hello,

If I'm not wrong, the Sony XBA series is j-corded, and so are some of their other models.. May want to take a look at those.

Yeah, but no l-plug. Also, all but the XBA1 are out of his range, and it's unclear they can give him the bass he wants. One option to consider though, would be something from Xears, which are generally j-corded, but have I-plugs.

Apr 5, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #400 of 5,364
I'm planning to purchase a set of headphones(still undecided with which brand and model), but in the meantime I want to get a new pair of earphones. I like ones with the buds stick in the ears, usually listen to r&b, some flyleaf, deftones, Adele, Jordan sparks, etc. and I'm planning to spend majority of my saving on that pair of headphones I haven't decide yet so I'm trying to use the least money for the best quality in this pair.

Apr 5, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #401 of 5,364

Quote:
I'm planning to purchase a set of headphones(still undecided with which brand and model), but in the meantime I want to get a new pair of earphones. I like ones with the buds stick in the ears, usually listen to r&b, some flyleaf, deftones, Adele, Jordan sparks, etc. and I'm planning to spend majority of my saving on that pair of headphones I haven't decide yet so I'm trying to use the least money for the best quality in this pair.

Are you talking IEMs or earbuds? Not totally sure from your description. Also, it would be a little easier if you set a hard number limit for perspective.

Apr 5, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #402 of 5,364

Quote:
Hello,

Check out AmpCity.co.uk, they have the RE-ZERO's for £69.99 which is a bit above your budget but well worth it and they have the L plug, not sure about the wires

Users who are viewing this thread

Back