Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Apr 3, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #361 of 5,364

Quote:
Placed an order on the s4i's. Better be worth it, H20Fidelity because I will find you and I will take back my £54 from you :wink:

Anyway, the only thing that really stopped me from buying them was that I saw them for £42 yesterday, added them to my basket on amazon but wanted to check a few reviews before purchasing them. When I was just about to place an order the price was changed to £54 and it really pissed me off, haha.

Play.com had a deal on for the S4's (without the mic) for £25 :D Grabbed a bargain lol

Apr 3, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #362 of 5,364
Quote:
Placed an order on the s4i's. Better be worth it, H20Fidelity because I will find you and I will take back my £54 from you :wink:

Anyway, the only thing that really stopped me from buying them was that I saw them for £42 yesterday, added them to my basket on amazon but wanted to check a few reviews before purchasing them. When I was just about to place an order the price was changed to £54 and it really pissed me off, haha.

Does anyone know how they sound compared to Beats by Dre Pros? I listen more to music more on the go than at home, so I really should've thought twice when I bought expensive over-head headphones but then again, had I known better or about this site before, I would not have wasted money on those headphones anyway.

I don't know about the Pros, but compared to the Studios; the S4s might not have more bass, but it's better bass and the sound is definitely smoother overall. The Studios gave me a headache after a while and the treble was piercing my ears.

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #364 of 5,364
Well seems like i'm stuck with what bestbuy has since i don't know any stores that could sell MEElectronics a151s here in Tucson AZ.

I could wait and order them from amazon and have them delivered to me by a friend next week.

Just so you guy know, im looking for good soundstage and somewhat of an analytical or balanced sound. Will be listening to mostly metal music and gaming/movies on my computer.

Cheers!

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #365 of 5,364

Quote:
Well seems like i'm stuck with what bestbuy has since i don't know any stores that could sell MEElectronics a151s here in Tucson AZ.

I could wait and order them from amazon and have them delivered to me by a friend next week.

Just so you guy know, im looking for good soundstage and somewhat of an analytical or balanced sound. Will be listening to mostly metal music and gaming/movies on my computer.

Cheers!

If you're stuck with bestbuy, look at their Sony MDR-EX310, they have a very wide 3D style Soundstage. I owned a pair for a few months and they really do fit the bill nicely. Sure....Sony is a little mainstream but they have been doing this for a long time. EX310's are also really well balanced, fitting rock and metal. Actually they fit all genres. they sure punch nice bass too.

I'm thinking of repurchasing another pair down the line. because the clarity and balance they have is hard to beat within that price range for me, Sony's house signature is my kind of taste. I have some nice IEM's but find I'm always needing to change for genres which becomes a pain honestly. The EX300 and EX310's solve that problem with an excellent sound.

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #366 of 5,364
I see. Well the last pair of earphones i owned were some Sony MDREX10LP's or something and i liked them, i'll have a look at those you mention. Do you have any idea how they compare to the MEElectronics a151s or the Klipsch i4s?

Thank you!

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #367 of 5,364

Quote:
I see. Well the last pair of earphones i owned were some Sony EX10's or something and i liked them, i'll have a look at those you mention. Do you have any idea how they compare to the MEElectronics a151s or the Klipsch i4s?

Thank you!

No I don't sorry. Someone else might have had experience with all three.

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #371 of 5,364

Quote:
Which would be better overal:
Monster turbines or A-jays Four for lots of pop and instrumentals like Explosions in the Sky?

I can't find much information on A-jays Four here at all. Either their highly overlooked or not worth talking about. Turbines however, are highly regarded popping up in conversation almost on a daily basis. With that said from my guestamation meter Turbines would be a much better choice. And yes, they will suit those genres well. One of the things that's talked about with Turbines though is their average built quality. So, if you get down and rough with your headphones maybe look elsewhere.

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #372 of 5,364

Quote:
Thanks 50an6xy06r6n !

After quite the reading I think I`ll settle on re262's or the fxt90's , can someone shed some light on the subject
of which would be better ? 

With the rest of my budget I think I`ll get a decent amp (thinking the zo2.3) .
Which should perform better (= be more enjoyable to listen to) ?

Thanks again guys .

I'd say go for the FXT90s, because I don't think the RE262 sound sig really fits with your preferred genres of music. As far as amps go, I'm not too well-versed, but the ZO, E11, JDS Labs CMoy, and iBasso D-Zero are all popular.

Quote:

Hi,
My budget is $1000, and I was thinking of either getting UM Miracle or HE-500 + amp. I listen to all sorts of genres, but mostly rock, alternative rock, rock-pop and jrock/jpop (think Mylo Xyloto). I also listen to soundtracks and orchestral.

I prefer balanced headphones with good bass impact and treble sparkle. I find soundstaging and imaging comes second after sound signature. Currently my IEM's are TF10's, they sound great but the soundstage is a bit cramped compared to headphones plus the midrange is getting to me. Any recommendations? Should I get the UM Miracle or HE-500? Sound quality is my main concern because on the go I can still use my TF10's, although it would be nice to have something good and portable.

If you're looking for soundstage, maybe a switch to full-sized headphones is needed. You'll need a pretty powerful amp to drive the HifiMan Planars, though.

Quote:
Hey all, im going to the US this week and im on the market for some good IEMs

Now these will be playing mostly metal and hard rock. I'm a Bass player and a music lover in general but i think what im looking for is something that will play the music exactly the way it was meant by the producer/band and will give good detail of each instrument, but i don't know if that kind of IEM sounds a little bit too "small"? What i mean is, i'd like to have a full sound in my head, i don't know if you get what i'm saying, something like my whole head filled by the music, maybe i just need to raise the volume though.

Now i don't really have that much experience so i'm not sure if im looking for an analytical type or something like that. So that's why i come here for advice.

Budget is Somewhere around $50-80 and maaaaybe i could stretch it to 100 ( I had the shure 215s in mind)

So what do you think?

Yeah, it looks like you're asking for a bigger soundstage and probably a bit of a bass emphasis to give it a fuller sound (correct me if I'm wrong). To that end, I think the RE0 and MC5 might be too analytical for you. The Shure 215s are a pretty good choice, and there are a few others, but you'd have to order those online, even if you're in the U.S...

Quote:
Quote:
After all that talk about the MEelectronics M6, M9 and M11, I think I will look at the Klipsh S4. These seems to have much better build quality and bass. Can someone recommend where to buy? I dont know about ebay (I know a lot are fakes). I am in BELGIUM. Thanks

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Klipsch-IMAGE-S4-Image-Headphones/dp/B001V9LPT4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333365895&sr=8-1
Or French website, both work for us in Belgium. I personally get my headphones from Amazon.fr :wink:.

Anyways, I'm going to get refunded from Amazon for my K518DJs, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if there are any headphones that are a step up from K518DJs in the +/- 90€ price range then? (I know that I need to take care of the plugs now, but still not sure if I could step up my sound with this budget)

If you want the same sound signature, maybe you could step up the the K181s or go into the DJ-style cans like the Ultrasone HFI580/780, M50, etc. They'll all be bigger and have long cables (the K181 is detachable), though, if portability is a concern.

Quote:
Again I'm going around i circles. I am choosing between the MEElectronic SP51, M11, or JVX FX1X. The SP51's are the a steal at $32us shipped.. BUT can I trust purchasegoodz.com? I've never seen/heard of before

I say just buy them from Amazon or MEE directly. That site seems quite illegit.

Quote:
I've been using Sony D66 Eggos since I bought them on a trip to Japan in 2005, and I love them.  And then yesterday they got crushed by a piece of equipment at work.  Should I buy another pair, or is there something else I might be looking at?  I'd like over-the-ear closed type so I can wear them on public transit, and I'd like to keep my budget to $150.  I have IEMs (Shure 530), so I'd like to find a more direct replacement for the Eggos.  Any thoughts?  I'm a little overwhelmed by all the models out there.  

Perhaps the Brainwavz HM5? I have no idea what your previous headpones sounded like, but the HM5 are known for their neutral sound signature. They fit the bill ergonomically, though.

Quote:
Looking for portable, on (or over) ear headphones for walking around campus and working out at the gym. i currently have the Klipsch s4s, and while amazing, with INCREDIBLE thumping bass...they do fall out at even the slightest yank or pull on the cord. i'm constantly adjusting them during my workouts, which are quite rigorous. this is why i;m looking for something with a headband, to prevent this. 

size wise, nothing huge or bulky. key word portable. i'd take my sony xb500s, but they stick out quite a bit and may get in the way during weightlifting. something more along the size of the Solos or Mixrs and inconspicous. 

i don't care about highs or mids, as long as the sounds clear (not tinny) and i need thumping bass. my price range is 50-maybe a little over a hundred dollars. i've thought about getting some refurbed beats solos or mixrs (collective groan, i know i know) but for what I DESIRE the bass is definitely there. though, i'm open to some suggestions from you guys. 

any suggestions? :)

AKG K81/518LE seems like a good fit. 

Quote:

EXPERTS AUDIOPHILE: in ear headphones worthy substitute of AKG K370

Hello everyone, sorry if I do not speak an English perfect, but I'm Italian :D
I am a fan of rock music, electronic, house, dub step,ecc, in short all music with bass powerful, and in fact I had the top in ear headphone AKG, the model K370, that had bass powerful of make you dizzy if  setting good itunes equalizer.
Time ago I sold k370 but now I came me back the urge to listen music with in ear headphones.
I was shooting a little for to see if there were other models to buy,perhaps the most powerful but of that price range, otherwise it will buy back the k370 which I find to 40€.
I thought about the sennheiser CX300 II but do not know. help me please. thanks 

I have not heard very much about the AKG K370, but for bass, see if you can still find that 50% off deal on the Atrio MG7s, which brings them down to $100. Great deal for bassheads at that price. 

Quote:

Hello all,

im planning to buy a new pair of earbuds. im thinking about these three (shure se115, sennheiser cx300 II and klipsch s4). i care about the quality ONLY. i listen to mainly jazz, classics and rock. i heard shure lacks of bass. but the other two have too overhelming bass.. is it true?
 or do you suggest something different (inside the price range of these three)?
thx

As  couple others have mentioned, the CX300s are a bit muddy, and I personally was not a fan of the S4s, due to their sibilance and midbass hump. For sound quality alone, maybe check out the MEElectronics A151/CC51, as well as the VSonic GR06. I'm probably missing a couple more, so check ljokerl's thread as well.

Quote:
Okay, I'll bite. Here's the text from a thread I started with 0 replies:

I've read plenty of threads regarding the UM3X vs Westone 4 vs Shure SE535s. I've been a happy UM3X owner for a while now, and when I first bought them (upgrade from B&W C5) the SQ difference, fit, and seal were tremendous upgrades. After using them every day for hours a day, I've started getting a bit bored of them.

Don't get me wrong, the SQ is still amazing, guitar solos and vocals (especially women) sound amazing, and listening to classical is very good. But when I'm listening to rock, jazz, or classical with a lot of punch (E.S. Posthumous, Two Steps From Hell) the sound, overall, is flat and just not fun.

I looked into and placed an order for the Westone 4R because I love the cables and fit in my ear, and I heard the increased soundstage on the 4 will eliminate a lot of the stuffiness I feel when I listen to the UM3X. Even though the instrument separation is great, it still sounds compressed...the best way I can describe it is like the music has a stuffy nose. Yes, the sound is there, but I feel like I'm hearing it before it even leaves the instrument instead of after it reaches me in all its fullness.

If that's the case, will the soundstage difference give me what I'm looking for with the Westone 4? Or do I need too look at something with a different sound signature like the Shure SE535 reds?

I don't have a lot of experience with top-tiers, but for soundstage, the EX1000s and IE8s are supposed to be some of the best, though they have vastly diffferent sound signatures.

Quote:
I'm gonna ask a different question here.

Maybe too general but here goes.

Choose one:

ATH-WS55
AKG K518DJ
Creative Aurvana Live!
None of the above

K81 for portability, CAL! for sound quality.

Quote:
y0, I need some help for my first serious earphones. 
I'm using most of the time iPhone.. the music very varied, rock, pop, dub, jazz and more :)
for the begining my budget is £60

thanks alot =]

If you haven't already, check out ljokerl's IEM review thread, as reading it can give you a much better idea of your choices than i can in one post. Off the top of my head, though, the VSonic GR06 and HiSound Audio Crystals might be places to start.

Quote:
So I have a 50 dollar amazon gift card, and i'm wondering what the best bassheavy IEM for the price I can get?

I've looked at the xeport 5010 which have been said to have bass similar to miles davis turbine? I also looked at the xtreme xplosives from jvc which I have read pretty good reviews on. I listen to mostly dubstep and death metal, my brother has the s4 and I feel like they don' have enough bass, my turbines failed on me recently so I am looking for a cheap replacement ( i also didn't think the turbines had enough bass to satisfy my needs)

will be mostly for gym use, thanks for suggestions guys

Maybe also look into the DUNU Tridents and Soundmagic E10, both of which you can find on Amazon.

Quote:

Does anyone know how they sound compared to Beats by Dre Pros? I listen more to music more on the go than at home, so I really should've thought twice when I bought expensive over-head headphones but then again, had I known better or about this site before, I would not have wasted money on those headphones anyway.

I imagine they both will have a similar general sound as far as the v-curve (treble/bass emphasis) goes, though from a really brief listen I had with the Pros they seemed less sibilant than the S4s (which go irritating).

Quote:

Cheers!

Just curious, why can't you order them yourself? I think Fry's sells some MEE stuff, but I don't know about the A151s. Maybe check their website or email customer support. A151s fit the bill for analytical, but not quite as much for soundstage, though you'll probably not find a lot of soundstage at that price. If you're looking at the A151s for MSRP, the VSonic GR06 might be a good alternative.

Quote:
I see. Well the last pair of earphones i owned were some Sony MDREX10LP's or something and i liked them, i'll have a look at those you mention. Do you have any idea how they compare to the MEElectronics a151s or the Klipsch i4s?

Thank you!

No clue about the Sonys, but I thought the A151s were a lot better than the S4s in terms of detail and clarity, though they lack a bit in bass quantity.

Apr 4, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #374 of 5,364
What would be better for rock (postgrunge, alternative rock, indie-rock like Muse, Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, Placebo, The Classic Crime...) and Hip-Hop -- Westone UM3X or Westone 4 or Shure 535 (may be special edition?) Source - Cowon J3

Thanks for help!

Apr 4, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #375 of 5,364
I recently sent my Monster Turbine Pro Golds in for repair, as one of the speakers blew. I'm getting a replacement, and thus I'm pretty sure i have the opportunity to send them back for a full refund.
So, i was thinking about maybe getting a pair of on-ear or over-ear headphones instead.

They would need good bass, fair looks, and be comfortable to wear around the neck.  I have owned the M50's, but they were way to large and bulky to wear around my neck, and i also felt like a complete dork wearing them in public, because of their bulkiness.

Would anyone have a recommendation? Budget is about 200$ i guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back