Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Mar 25, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #301 of 5,364

Quote:
Thank you, I actually was contemplating FXT90 but was having trouble finding an online or a local retailer.  There was a deal on MG7 so I got those and hopefully I can compare the two.  I really would like to try FXT90 as it seems to have a little more bass without losing much of what GR07 has to offer.

Check out 'buyfromjapan' on ebay (last I heard they were down to $108) and also accessoryjack.com.

Mar 26, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #303 of 5,364

Quote:
Thanks 50an6xy06r6n, Not really sure I am willing to forgo the detachable cable but I will look more into the JVC FXT90. How do you think they compare to the Sony MDR-EX600 which can be had for $130 and have the unique Sony sound? Which seems intriguing and something I might like.

As a side note it is kind of ridiculous that you have to answer all these requests alone, that this forum is not stickied, and that the site gets flooded with whats a good blah blah blah iem.

Generally, the FXT90s probably have a more fun sound signature, with more bass emphasis, and some have praised their control of instrument timbre. The EX600s strive for a dryer, more neutral sound. Both are very competent, and it's really up to you to decide which you like better. For anything more detailed, you should probably check the appreciation threads.

Quote:
Hi people. After *****footing around and buying all manner of sub-£100 headphones, I'm finally ready to bite the bullet and invest a good chunk into something bigger. I'm looking at spending about £350 (approx $500 if memory serves), a number I'm sure some of you could spend twice over, but as a poor uni student that's as much as I'm able to lump up right now.

Audio quality is the primary, if not the sole, determining factor. I don't mind what form the headphones come in, whether it's on-ear or over ear, or a universal or custom IEM. Whatever produces the best sound in my budget is what I'd like to go with. My listening tastes gravitate towards metal, dubstep and electronic music of various stripes, so while I don't by any means want something that's bass heavy I'd like something with sufficient extension and impact at the low end to bring out the best of these genres without compromising the mids. I'd like them to be all-purpose if possible, so closed back would be preferable in terms of circum/super aurals, but not essential. The sources will be an 5th Gen iPod Video going into a FiiO E17 via LOD, and a MacBook Pro feeding into the FiiO E17/E9 combo via USB.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

For $500, you're well in the range of entry-level customs, which can provide sound superior to that of top-tier universals, and with better fit and isolation. I'm not too familiar with the various models of CIEMs, but this seems to be a good way to go.

Quote:
Anyone got any reviews on the AKG K318?

Or could suggest any new ear/headphones (semi open, hate the in-ear canal ones). My Sennhieser MX760 just broke and i'm on the lookout for some new headphones but can't really find any, they are either years old or just very cheap and not good. I like a good bass... but under £50
(or just give me an ebay link to some real MX760s for last resort)

Sorry, don't know much about earbuds, but I think there are a couple of comparisons both here and on Headfonia (another review site) that you should check out.

Quote:
Damn...havent noticed this thread before. I am in need of some decent headphones with good sound quality, great comfortability and isolation good enough to let me enjoy my music on the noisy streets. I am willing to spend 100€-120 € max. Anyone can help me out? 

What kind of music do you like to listen to, and what sound do you like? For $160, there are a lot of good options, and it comes down to personal preference. Just to name a few, there's the FXT90s, EX600s, and GR07s.

Quote:
I'm a first time poster here so let me start off by thanking all the knowledge contributors for making this forum a success wealth of knowledge. Looking for guidance in making my first major headphone purchase. I am looking for an "all purpose" headphone that has decent isolation (drown out my teenagers while in my office), nice clarity/separation with a strong presence of the vocals. I am not a bass head nor a treble fanatic. I prefer warmth over accuracy in a durable yet some lightweight design. Musically my tastes are classic rock/metal and occasionally some country. I will be using the headphones with my PC with a Xonar sound card, my ipod classic (most files are 256 bit rate sadly), and in my Yamaha home theater.
Other selection criteria include, comfort while wearing eyeglasses, durable/secure enough to stand up to sweating through moderate cardio sessions on an elliptical/stair-climber. IEM's are not option as I have had 6 ear surgeries and my doctor has said absolutely no in ear phones (not even allowed a bluetooth for phone calls). Previously I have owned a Sony MDR-NC7 (gift) and could never ever wear them, For some unknown reason the active noise cancellation played hell with my ear condition and caused dramatic pressure felt on my ear drums. Not mention that they sounded like total garbage. My budget is up to $250 but of course getting a bargain would make my wife very happy. The only headphones that my local retailer had on display were Sony's, Klipsch Reference 1, and of course all those crappy "rapper cans".
Thanks for your time and feedback. I'm concerned that my expectations may be unrealistic in finding on 1 headphone for all my needs, hopefully my concerns will be for naught.

I think the Brainwavz HM5 is a good place to start your search, as it offers neutral sound, good isolation, and good comfort, all for a very reasonable price. Not positive on how well they stand up to exercise though, and they are a tad bulky.

Quote:
Monster Turbine Pro Copper VS Atomic Floyd Superdarts?

Hi All.
i am in the market as it were for a new pair of IEM's. i was delighted when i saw this forum because it introduced me to IEM's and brands that i did not even know existed before.
however i am now spoiled for choice and i can't make up my mind what i want, so i am seeking advice or recommendations from anyone with the time to reply.

a little background, i like to listen to a fairly broad range of music, ranging from classical through to metal. i enjoy artists ranging from Vivaldi, Adelle, Smashing Pumpkins, The Beatles, Florence & The Machine through to Disturbed and Metallica.
i however categorically refuse to listen to RnB, Hip Hop and Rap music.
i listen to music both on the go, in public transport and at home, so i need something that can handle all three situations.
they also need to be fairly robust and durable as i generally roll them up and stash them in my pocket with my phone when they are not in use.
i am currently using a pair of apple IEM's and Monster Jamz, but they just are not cutting it imo.

i would also really like them to have iPod/iPhone control capabilities, but i am open to looking for alternative solutions to this if need be.
i have looked a bit into both the Monster Turbine Pro Copper and Atomic Floyd Superdarts IEM's, they seem to tick all the boxes but i am not in the position to try any of them before buying them, so i am hoping that someone here has tried both, and can give me a comparison. or perhaps offer something better to look into.

thanks to anyone that takes the time to read this and reply.

I don't know a whole lot about the Atomic Floyds, tbh, but if I recall, I think Clieos has a review of them on his IEM comparison, so you should read that and ask him for more advice. Just off of his review though, it sounds like they're a little on the bassy side, which may not be ideal for some of your music. The Turbines are also a bit bassy, but the Coppers are supposed to be pretty refined all-around. A couple other options might be Westones with a mic'd cable or Audeo Phonak PFEs.

Quote:
Anyone know how much Brainwavz M2 or M4 leak? thanks.

Not much at all, being IEMs. (Even though they're vented)

Quote:
I've been lurking for a little while now, and trying to do research on what my best options to replace my Klipsch S4i is. I primarily listen to dubstep and alternative, and while I have in the past been guilty of being a Bass Head, I feel as I've gotten older I more classify as someone who requires bass, but also wants the mids and highs to be present and clear. I'll be using my Android phone as my player, and I need a mic and 1 or more buttons. Right now I'm planning to buy Shure SE215 with the optional mic/button cable. Any other suggestions in the $100 - $150 range that meet these basic needs? 1: Must have mic/button cable (I do talk on the phone with, ear/headphones. 2: Bass must be punchy, but not at the expense of clarity of the Mids and highs. To compare against other IEMs/headphones, I've got Klipsch S4i and Bowers and Wilkins P5's. I love the bass of the Klipsch, but find the mids/highs lacking. P5's sound really good (possibly not as good as others in their price range, but since I run a B&W, warehouse, I didn't pay full price), but the bass is too lacking without adjusting the EQ on my phone drastically. However, I find ways to enjoy both immensely.

Sounds good. Not a ton of options with a mic and remote, except maybe the Brainwavz M4. No idea how it compares to the Shures, however.

Quote:
Silly question:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Ears-TripleFi-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B0019RBJOE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332639116&sr=8-1

The Ultimate Ears triple fi 10 are US$ 180 @ amazon, would that be a bargain for this pair of iems?

I've read a lot of complaints about the cable build quality on the TF10s, can anyone coment on it?
SQ wise it seems to be a very good iem with a kind of taste-dependant, not the one to please everyone aparently, but still very good.

Do anyone knows how they fare against the westone's 3 & 4, and also against Shure's 535?

The TF10s are always hovering around that price, and they drop to $99 every Black Friday on Amazon. Not the best price, and there's competition at that price point. Don't know a ton about the cable or build quality though, and I've never heard any of the other IEMs either. If you haven't already though, check ljokerl's IEM review thread and ask him about the TF10s.

Quote:
Hello everyone. I love music. I am legally blind so I use my headphones for a lot of things. Here is a little info about me and what I do. My main headphone setup is a Headroom TotalBitHead amp connected to my laptop via a usb cable with Sony MDR-V6 headphones. I use them a lot and use them for watching tv/movies on the laptop to listening to music on the laptop. The headphones always stay at the laptop and sometimes I use the amp with batteries and make it portable. I listen to mainly Christian music such as mainstream CCM. Here are some links to what I mainly listen to:
http://www.klove.com/listen/player.aspx (CCM)
http://currentfm.com/listen/# (Christian pop/top40)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ-JRZp1OAA (I prefer "car audio bass" to rap music)

I also listen to audiobooks. Now these IEMs would be used mainly with an iPod Shuffle (for audiobooks) and an iPod Touch for music and entertainment. I would also like to use them with my TotalBitHead every now and then.

Here is how I would use them:
in bed (so must quiet wife's snoring)
walking/exercise
working in the yard  (cutting grass/planting flowers)

I had a set of Eytomitic ER6s and did not like them. They hurt my ears and were not comfy. Also I had one of the earplugs come off in my ear and had to go to the ER to remove it. I also did not like having to replace filters all the time. I am now using a $30 set of Sony's from Walmart and they are falling apart due to use. I would like to stay in the "under $100" range if I can but if I have to I will go $150. Thanks for the help.

For comfort and usability, I think the Westone 1s or A151s are worth a look.

Quote:
Here is my situation: I have never owned a high quality set of IEMs, and after getting full size headphones with great sound, I realized that I use my cheap pair of Sony MDR-EX35LP (which I bought mostly to use on the go) more often than the others, even when I'm at home. The other headphones I own are Grado SR-80i, and they're great with guitars and rock music (which is mostly what I listen to), but at times they feel too bright and fatiguing. I also own a pair of Audio Technica AD-700, great soundstage but the bass is barely noticeable, so I mostly use them for movies and classical. That being said, I'm going to buy a decent pair of IEMs, but I don't even know where to start. There is so much information and reviews, and I'm so confused! My source would be an iPod and my budget is around $50 (and if they're worth it, I can stretch it up to $100). I mostly listen to rock and metal, but I listen to all types of music (classical, electronic, jazz, indie, acoustic...) so they have to be able to perform well with almost everything.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In the past I have bought other Sony IEMs and I've been quite happy, so maybe I like the Sony sound signature, which many people here would describe as "neutral". Sorry for my unprofessional language, but I'm quite new in this hobby. 

A good place to check would be ljokerl's IEM review thread, because although there are a lot of choices, it's very well organized and sorted by price and performance. One suggestion, and one that's been getting a lot of attention lately is the GR06, younger brother to the GR07, and an excellent all-rounder.

Quote:
hello. new here. it seems like this is the place to go for sage advice. i am currently on a jvc fxc80. i am, however, looking to upgrade. my budget is below a hundred. looking for a good all rounder. also, looking to get one with a mic. i can spend for both a mic or non mic version. if i could get a decent one with a mic all together that would be great. cheers.

The Shure SE215, CC51P, and Brainwavz M4 come to mind. Check ljokerl's IEM review thread for more.

Quote:
For some reason my post got deleted, anyways I'm buying a pair of IEMs for a friend who currently uses Bose IEMs. What IEM would completely blow these away for around the same or slightly higher price (about $100). What am I looking for?

depends on what kind of music he likes and what kind of sound he's looking for. For example, someone looking for bass would be underwhelmed by the RE0s or HF5s, whereas someone looking for detail would absolutely love them.

Quote:
I have another thread but thought I'd see if I get a few different options/opinions here. I'm a classical singer and listen to classical - especially opera, rock, alternative, musicals, hip hop - pretty much anything but 95% of rap and no country. I want a decent/ large soundstage, neutral sound, or so I've been told. UE 600's aren't doing it for me. Orchestras sound small and rock sounds - odd. Budget $100-300 at the tippy top.

I have B&O A8's (overpriced, I get it but I like the sound), Bose IE 2 for running outside, ATH-CKM50, Thinksound MS01 - enjoy these as well but a little too much bass on some tracks. Thanks in advance for any help!

For soundstage and neutrality, check out the Sony EX1000s, or the younger brother EX600.

Quote:
Hey Head-fi! Been looking around for a bit, i'm looking for a DURABLE set of all rounder IEMs, budget's up to $200 but i'll like to spend less if possible, i've been looking at the CKM50 thread, any opinions on other IEMs at that price?

GR07, EX600, FXT90s, DBA-02 MKII, but they all have different sound signatures.

Quote:
Hi guys,

I was thinking about upgrading my earbuds/iem. I have the skullcandy titans, and I heard they have bad sound quality. So I decided I need a new pair. My budget is under 50.
I also need earbuds/iem that have A LOT of bass. I mostly listen to dubstep and hip hop/rap.

Thanks!

DUNU Trident, Soundmagic E10, MEE SP51, etc. check ljokerl's thread for more.

Mar 31, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #305 of 5,364
what would you guys choose between brainwavz m4 (with mic) and id america spark? i know the spark was praised by joker but he doesn't have a review of the m4 for comparison. i was hoping i could get feedback from those in the know. 
i'm after value for money. build quality and isolation. no specific genre so a general description of their sound quality and/or signature would be nice.
thanks!. 

Mar 31, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #306 of 5,364

Hi!

[size=10pt]I won't bother you much, and I will try to be as short and concise as I can. I LOVE music and all emotions that flows from it. Music gives me a cretin freedom I can seldom have. When I do, I don’t listen one song, but entire album at best quality I can get- 320 or lossless. Genres are mostly rock an metal and almost all sub-categories (mtv pop, punk derivates and death sounds are not in my liking). Also, smooth and acid jazz- very fond of it, classical music and ambient from time to time. Usually it's Dream Theatre, Kansas, CCWR, ACDC, Maiden, Blind Guardians, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Doors, Who, Queen and such. Rammstein and Godsmack when I'm really down. Also, Nora Jones, Police, Chopin, Vivaldi, atc.[/size]

[size=10pt]I have been lost for a month reading a lot of opinions and reviews on many forums, this and any other that can give about any sort of objective info. ljokerl's mega review gave me a close idea how idiotically poor choice anyone in Serbia has. Best I can get is Sennheiser, Panasonic, Philips, AKG and Sony. That’s it. And they all have about same characteristics, couse 75% is under 15$. That or few that costs over 100.[/size]

[size=10pt]ljokerl mega review said that Meelec M9p aren’t bad. Reason I want them is that their web site offers shipment to my country, they have mic, so that’s plus and decent sound. All with shipment under 35$. Recently, I’ve became owner of HTC smartphone. It won’t do wonders, but still, fantastic headset is needed to hear it’s bad tune.[/size]

[size=10pt]My Q.       [/size]
[size=10pt]Meelec M9 have strong base. Yeah, it’s OK, but it’s not best for jazz. I mean, I like base, but not too much. But will it ruin all? Also I’d like to hear vocals and guitars well, how do they perform there?    [/size]
[size=10pt]Is there any other decent option under 50$ that can be procured straight from manufacturer?[/size]

I’ve sent this message to 50an6xy06r6n and [color=#ff4400][size=10.0pt]ljokerl[/size][/color]. I have received good replies, but this forum is limiting me to two PMs a day. So I’ll continue on this thread.

To [color=#ff4400][size=10.0pt]ljokerl[/size][/color]:
[size=10pt]Last I checked the MEElectronics CW31 was $30 before postage from meelec's website. If you don't have to have the mic they are a much better earphone than the M9 or any other M-series set. The Soundmagic E30 and Dunu Trident are also solid choices if mp4nation.net, lendmeurears.com, or one of the ebay sellers will ship to your country. [/size]“

[size=10pt]Dealers like [/size][size=10pt]mp4nation.net, lendmeurears.com[/size] and many others do not do business with Serbia (or it is vice versa) and this is main reason I cannot afford to think about brainwavz, Soundmagic E30 and Dunu Trident (would be nice). And those who dare to send, delivery alone for this kind of packaging will cost me ower 100$. If only…
[size=10pt]The main reason im getting Meelcs is pricing and delivery. M9p are forgotten, my eye is on CW31[/size] now or others. Tho I’d  like to get one with mic, ill manage jus fine without it.   

[size=10pt]To [/size]50an6xy06r6n:

[size=10pt]“To be honest, I don't think the M9s are all [/size]that good. At least compared to the other stuff discussed, it's definitely a low-range IEM. The clarity won't be the best, and though I haven't heard it, I don't think it will do your music justice. If you're ordering for MEElectronics, you should consider their top-of-the-line CC51 model, which is quite a bit better and also has an optional remote/mic. Also, what other options do you have? If you really like your music that much, you should really consider investing a little bit more to hear it.”

[size=10pt]This is my option:[/size]
http://www.tehnomanija.rs/index.php?mod=catalog&op=browse&view=category&category_id=328&pg=6&brand=&stock=&sort=price_asc&price_min=&promo=&price_max=

Now, they are good. No, really, good prices, good products, good service… Compared to others in my country. They do their work good. But they or any other for that matter, can’t get for some reason other sound manufacturers. I can get Audio-Technica EP3 for around 100, AKG [size=10pt]IP2 for  150$, and that’s it. That is it! Now there are some shady guys who go abroad and get back…. That isn’t option for electronic. [/size]

[size=10pt]Thank you ppl for giving it straight. [/size]

[size=10pt]"I can see clearly now, the rain is gone,
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
It’s gonna be a bright, bright
Sun-Shiny day."[/size]    

Mar 31, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #307 of 5,364
Hello,I'm 23.I'm a guy and I'm from India.
I don't know if it was the right protocol,but within seconds of joining head-fi,I IM'ed a member.
My query is regarding the choices I have of IEMs in Vienna,Austria.
A friend of mine is traveling through East Europe.At the moment,he is in Vienna for two days.My music preferences are 60's Pop Rock,Sunshine Pop,Shoegaze,Trip-hop & Post Rock.

Mar 31, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #308 of 5,364
Hello milan425,
                      Although I'm no expert,have you looked up gd-audiobase?Fischer Audio and Sunrise Audio are the brands they carry.They are based out of Russia but they do seem to ship worldwide.Cannot vouch for their legitimacy or reliability,though there is a thread on here about people's experiences with them.Besides that you can checkout Soundmagic's distribution center and 'Where to buy' page on their site.You might find a site in a country close to you that's willing to ship.

Mar 31, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #309 of 5,364

Quote:

Hi!

[size=10pt]I won't bother you much, and I will try to be as short and concise as I can. I LOVE music and all emotions that flows from it. Music gives me a cretin freedom I can seldom have. When I do, I don’t listen one song, but entire album at best quality I can get- 320 or lossless. Genres are mostly rock an metal and almost all sub-categories (mtv pop, punk derivates and death sounds are not in my liking). Also, smooth and acid jazz- very fond of it, classical music and ambient from time to time. Usually it's Dream Theatre, Kansas, CCWR, ACDC, Maiden, Blind Guardians, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Doors, Who, Queen and such. Rammstein and Godsmack when I'm really down. Also, Nora Jones, Police, Chopin, Vivaldi, atc.[/size]

[size=10pt]I have been lost for a month reading a lot of opinions and reviews on many forums, this and any other that can give about any sort of objective info. ljokerl's mega review gave me a close idea how idiotically poor choice anyone in Serbia has. Best I can get is Sennheiser, Panasonic, Philips, AKG and Sony. That’s it. And they all have about same characteristics, couse 75% is under 15$. That or few that costs over 100.[/size]

[size=10pt]ljokerl mega review said that Meelec M9p aren’t bad. Reason I want them is that their web site offers shipment to my country, they have mic, so that’s plus and decent sound. All with shipment under 35$. Recently, I’ve became owner of HTC smartphone. It won’t do wonders, but still, fantastic headset is needed to hear it’s bad tune.[/size]

[size=10pt]My Q.       [/size]
[size=10pt]Meelec M9 have strong base. Yeah, it’s OK, but it’s not best for jazz. I mean, I like base, but not too much. But will it ruin all? Also I’d like to hear vocals and guitars well, how do they perform there?    [/size]
[size=10pt]Is there any other decent option under 50$ that can be procured straight from manufacturer?[/size]

I’ve sent this message to 50an6xy06r6n and [color=#ff4400][size=10.0pt]ljokerl[/size][/color]. I have received good replies, but this forum is limiting me to two PMs a day. So I’ll continue on this thread.

To [color=#ff4400][size=10.0pt]ljokerl[/size][/color]:
[size=10pt]Last I checked the MEElectronics CW31 was $30 before postage from meelec's website. If you don't have to have the mic they are a much better earphone than the M9 or any other M-series set. The Soundmagic E30 and Dunu Trident are also solid choices if mp4nation.net, lendmeurears.com, or one of the ebay sellers will ship to your country. [/size]“

[size=10pt]Dealers like [/size][size=10pt]mp4nation.net, lendmeurears.com[/size] and many others do not do business with Serbia (or it is vice versa) and this is main reason I cannot afford to think about brainwavz, Soundmagic E30 and Dunu Trident (would be nice). And those who dare to send, delivery alone for this kind of packaging will cost me ower 100$. If only…
[size=10pt]The main reason im getting Meelcs is pricing and delivery. M9p are forgotten, my eye is on CW31[/size] now or others. Tho I’d  like to get one with mic, ill manage jus fine without it.   

[size=10pt]To [/size]50an6xy06r6n:

[size=10pt]“To be honest, I don't think the M9s are all [/size]that good. At least compared to the other stuff discussed, it's definitely a low-range IEM. The clarity won't be the best, and though I haven't heard it, I don't think it will do your music justice. If you're ordering for MEElectronics, you should consider their top-of-the-line CC51 model, which is quite a bit better and also has an optional remote/mic. Also, what other options do you have? If you really like your music that much, you should really consider investing a little bit more to hear it.”

[size=10pt]This is my option:[/size]
http://www.tehnomanija.rs/index.php?mod=catalog&op=browse&view=category&category_id=328&pg=6&brand=&stock=&sort=price_asc&price_min=&promo=&price_max=

Now, they are good. No, really, good prices, good products, good service… Compared to others in my country. They do their work good. But they or any other for that matter, can’t get for some reason other sound manufacturers. I can get Audio-Technica EP3 for around 100, AKG [size=10pt]IP2 for  150$, and that’s it. That is it! Now there are some shady guys who go abroad and get back…. That isn’t option for electronic. [/size]

[size=10pt]Thank you ppl for giving it straight. [/size]

[size=10pt]"I can see clearly now, the rain is gone,
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
It’s gonna be a bright, bright
Sun-Shiny day."[/size]    

From your description, it seems like your best bet is to buy from MEElectronics, since they ship to your country and offer solid midrange IEMs. If you're willing to go above $50, the A151 and CC51 are both great choices, with different sound signatures and different form factors. ljokerl's reviews can give you a better idea of what those differences are than I can, so go read them side by side. Best of luck!

Quote:
Hello,I'm 23.I'm a guy and I'm from India.
I don't know if it was the right protocol,but within seconds of joining head-fi,I IM'ed a member.
My query is regarding the choices I have of IEMs in Vienna,Austria.
A friend of mine is traveling through East Europe.At the moment,he is in Vienna for two days.My music preferences are 60's Pop Rock,Sunshine Pop,Shoegaze,Trip-hop & Post Rock.

Not familiar with the local selection of Vienna. However, there are probably some Asian companies, like Sunrise, Vsonic, and Brainwavz that might ship to or be available in India.

Mar 31, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #310 of 5,364

Quote:
what would you guys choose between brainwavz m4 (with mic) and id america spark? i know the spark was praised by joker but he doesn't have a review of the m4 for comparison. i was hoping i could get feedback from those in the know. 
i'm after value for money. build quality and isolation. no specific genre so a general description of their sound quality and/or signature would be nice.
thanks!. 

Sorry, I've never heard the spark. However, the M4s have been going for $28 on Amazon, and at that price, they're a very good deal. It might be over now, but there's a chance it'll come back in the near future. In general, the M4 have a modified v- curve, with more subbass than usual, and less treble. The mids are a little recessed, and aren't that good for vocals, but I find them to work quite well with electronic and instrumental music. Build is pretty good, with flexible strain reliefs, though the mic'd version has a thinner, more rubbery cable than the normal one. Driver flex is a bit of an issue, but doesn't affect the sound after you get it fitted.

Mar 31, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #311 of 5,364
I would like advice between the:

MEElectronics M11P VS MP9 VS MP6. All come to the about the same price.

I used to own the Senhiser CX300-I but they broke. Before that the EP630s. The CX300's didn't quite give me enough bass.

I am inclined toward more BASS.

I have looked at the Brainwave Alfa & beta, and the SoundMagic PL11s- but both build qualitities didn't look good, and upon some research I think the MEElectronics models have better bass? Hope I can get some advice! Thanks

Mar 31, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #313 of 5,364
I forgot to mention my budget.Around 58 USD.Will get me the brainwavz M2.Yes,they're available here.Couple of questions..is it fine for use in the gym..say on the treadmill?Do they insert very deeply into the ear?I have a slight phobia about ear pain and ear wax.Wonder why I'm going in for IEMs...well I'm still not sure.

Mar 31, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #314 of 5,364

Quote:
I would like advice between the:

MEElectronics M11P VS MP9 VS MP6. All come to the about the same price.

I used to own the Senhiser CX300-I but they broke. Before that the EP630s. The CX300's didn't quite give me enough bass.

I am inclined toward more BASS.

I have looked at the Brainwave Alfa & beta, and the SoundMagic PL11s- but both build qualitities didn't look good, and upon some research I think the MEElectronics models have better bass? Hope I can get some advice! Thanks

I haven't heard them, but according to ljokerl's reviews, the M6 are the best of the bunch, and are bassy enough for electronic genres. Other bassy IEMs in that price range would be the Soundmagic E10 and the Dunu Tridents.

Quote:
Are the Monster Turbine Pearls just a different colorway for the black Monster Turbines?  If so, do you think they are worth $160? 
Thanks!

As far as I know, yeah, they're just a different color. Therefore, being Turbines, they're probably not worth $160, as you can get much better sound quality for that price.

Quote:
I forgot to mention my budget.Around 58 USD.Will get me the brainwavz M2.Yes,they're available here.Couple of questions..is it fine for use in the gym..say on the treadmill?Do they insert very deeply into the ear?I have a slight phobia about ear pain and ear wax.Wonder why I'm going in for IEMs...well I'm still not sure.

I don't own the M2s, but from what I've read and from looking at the form factor, they don't go in all that deeply. I don't do much exercising with IEMs in, but if you wear them with the cable looped over your ear, you shouldn't have too much trouble with them falling out, though again, I'm no expert. 

Mar 31, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #315 of 5,364
Seeking guidance again, posting this from my thread to see if I get any replies here before reviving/bumping my thread.

I have had two pair of AKG K518DJ headphones and they are a blast: good bass (not too heavy), good sound quality overall for the price.
There's just one problem: my second pair now died on me, with the same problem as my first.

I usually take my headphones everywhere, take care of them (don't throw them, use the carrying case, fold them nicely etc...) but the plug that goes into my portable source (iPhone) seems to die really quickly. This resulted TWICE (a little less than 2y) in the headphones' right side to stop working unless I wiggle the plug in an odd manner. I believe this might come from the fact that I put it in my jeans while on the go (bike/etc).

Since I'm going to return this pair again and either get store credit on Amazon or a new pair, it made me doubt.

Should I go for a third pair of AKG K518DJs or just change headphones?
There's barely any good headphone stores around here and most just sell basic Sennheisers. I have tried PX-200Ii model and didn't like the smallness and sound of the headphones (the bass seemed VERY light to be honest). Didn't get around testing many other models.

I checked the guide and apparently in about the same price range there are Creative Aurvana Live! which seem to do the trick, yet others say they have a different sound completely from the AKG K518DJ. I don't want muddy bass or just overpowering bass, but a good punch is always nice (fun factor).
I'm really torn on what to do, so I come to head-fi for some advice! :)

Tl;dr: new headphones needed, stick to AKG K518DJ for a third time or switch (if so, to what?)
Music: electronic (bass), some rock/metal and jazz. Also used from time to time for movies/games/series (not really important there for me).
Need to be quite portable (even though I also use at home), so no full sized headphones please (longer than 1m cable is good though).
Price range: +/- 60 euros (www.amazon.fr price for AKG K518DJs, can be a bit above but max is 100 euros).
A link to new pair on there = perfect!
If more info is needed, shoot.

Thanks in advance all!

P.S.: It's been a while since I posted, it's semi advice but also wondering how come twice the same problem happened to me on (what's supposed to be) sturdy headphones. If it belongs in another thread feel free to tell me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back