Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Mar 24, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #286 of 5,364

Quote:
I've been lurking for a little while now, and trying to do research on what my best options to replace my Klipsch S4i is. I primarily listen to dubstep and alternative, and while I have in the past been guilty of being a Bass Head, I feel as I've gotten older I more classify as someone who requires bass, but also wants the mids and highs to be present and clear. I'll be using my Android phone as my player, and I need a mic and 1 or more buttons. Right now I'm planning to buy Shure SE215 with the optional mic/button cable. Any other suggestions in the $100 - $150 range that meet these basic needs? 1: Must have mic/button cable (I do talk on the phone with, ear/headphones. 2: Bass must be punchy, but not at the expense of clarity of the Mids and highs. To compare against other IEMs/headphones, I've got Klipsch S4i and Bowers and Wilkins P5's. I love the bass of the Klipsch, but find the mids/highs lacking. P5's sound really good (possibly not as good as others in their price range, but since I run a B&W, warehouse, I didn't pay full price), but the bass is too lacking without adjusting the EQ on my phone drastically. However, I find ways to enjoy both immensely.

The Shure 215 with microphone cable is probably your best bet.  The mids are really, really good.  Nice punchy, plentiful bass.  Treble is just OK but overall it's a good IEM for the money, especially considering the mids.

Mar 25, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #287 of 5,364
Hello everyone. I love music. I am legally blind so I use my headphones for a lot of things. Here is a little info about me and what I do. My main headphone setup is a Headroom TotalBitHead amp connected to my laptop via a usb cable with Sony MDR-V6 headphones. I use them a lot and use them for watching tv/movies on the laptop to listening to music on the laptop. The headphones always stay at the laptop and sometimes I use the amp with batteries and make it portable. I listen to mainly Christian music such as mainstream CCM. Here are some links to what I mainly listen to:
http://www.klove.com/listen/player.aspx (CCM)
http://currentfm.com/listen/# (Christian pop/top40)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ-JRZp1OAA (I prefer "car audio bass" to rap music)

I also listen to audiobooks. Now these IEMs would be used mainly with an iPod Shuffle (for audiobooks) and an iPod Touch for music and entertainment. I would also like to use them with my TotalBitHead every now and then.

Here is how I would use them:
in bed (so must quiet wife's snoring)
walking/exercise
working in the yard  (cutting grass/planting flowers)

I had a set of Eytomitic ER6s and did not like them. They hurt my ears and were not comfy. Also I had one of the earplugs come off in my ear and had to go to the ER to remove it. I also did not like having to replace filters all the time. I am now using a $30 set of Sony's from Walmart and they are falling apart due to use. I would like to stay in the "under $100" range if I can but if I have to I will go $150. Thanks for the help.

Mar 25, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #289 of 5,364
Here is my situation: I have never owned a high quality set of IEMs, and after getting full size headphones with great sound, I realized that I use my cheap pair of Sony MDR-EX35LP (which I bought mostly to use on the go) more often than the others, even when I'm at home. The other headphones I own are Grado SR-80i, and they're great with guitars and rock music (which is mostly what I listen to), but at times they feel too bright and fatiguing. I also own a pair of Audio Technica AD-700, great soundstage but the bass is barely noticeable, so I mostly use them for movies and classical. That being said, I'm going to buy a decent pair of IEMs, but I don't even know where to start. There is so much information and reviews, and I'm so confused! My source would be an iPod and my budget is around $50 (and if they're worth it, I can stretch it up to $100). I mostly listen to rock and metal, but I listen to all types of music (classical, electronic, jazz, indie, acoustic...) so they have to be able to perform well with almost everything.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In the past I have bought other Sony IEMs and I've been quite happy, so maybe I like the Sony sound signature, which many people here would describe as "neutral". Sorry for my unprofessional language, but I'm quite new in this hobby. 

Mar 25, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #291 of 5,364

Quote:
Here is my situation: I have never owned a high quality set of IEMs, and after getting full size headphones with great sound, I realized that I use my cheap pair of Sony MDR-EX35LP (which I bought mostly to use on the go) more often than the others, even when I'm at home. The other headphones I own are Grado SR-80i, and they're great with guitars and rock music (which is mostly what I listen to), but at times they feel too bright and fatiguing. I also own a pair of Audio Technica AD-700, great soundstage but the bass is barely noticeable, so I mostly use them for movies and classical. That being said, I'm going to buy a decent pair of IEMs, but I don't even know where to start. There is so much information and reviews, and I'm so confused! My source would be an iPod and my budget is around $50 (and if they're worth it, I can stretch it up to $100). I mostly listen to rock and metal, but I listen to all types of music (classical, electronic, jazz, indie, acoustic...) so they have to be able to perform well with almost everything.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In the past I have bought other Sony IEMs and I've been quite happy, so maybe I like the Sony sound signature, which many people here would describe as "neutral". Sorry for my unprofessional language, but I'm quite new in this hobby. 

The UE600 is a great all-rounder for me, but if you're looking to spend under $50, I just gifted a friend a pair of GR06s and they're quite lovely with rock music. They're a little more bassy than neutral in my opinion, but they're excellent for the price.

Mar 25, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #292 of 5,364
hello. new here. it seems like this is the place to go for sage advice. i am currently on a jvc fxc80. i am, however, looking to upgrade. my budget is below a hundred. looking for a good all rounder. also, looking to get one with a mic. i can spend for both a mic or non mic version. if i could get a decent one with a mic all together that would be great. cheers.

Mar 25, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #293 of 5,364
For some reason my post got deleted, anyways I'm buying a pair of IEMs for a friend who currently uses Bose IEMs. What IEM would completely blow these away for around the same or slightly higher price (about $100). What am I looking for?

Mar 25, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #294 of 5,364

Quote:
For some reason my post got deleted, anyways I'm buying a pair of IEMs for a friend who currently uses Bose IEMs. What IEM would completely blow these away for around the same or slightly higher price (about $100). What am I looking for?

Vsonic GRO7 or Hifiman REO should do the trick nicely.

Mar 25, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #295 of 5,364

Quote:
Damn, I quoted myself. 
deadhorse.gif

Mar 25, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #296 of 5,364
I have another thread but thought I'd see if I get a few different options/opinions here. I'm a classical singer and listen to classical - especially opera, rock, alternative, musicals, hip hop - pretty much anything but 95% of rap and no country. I want a decent/ large soundstage, neutral sound, or so I've been told. UE 600's aren't doing it for me. Orchestras sound small and rock sounds - odd. Budget $100-300 at the tippy top.

I have B&O A8's (overpriced, I get it but I like the sound), Bose IE 2 for running outside, ATH-CKM50, Thinksound MS01 - enjoy these as well but a little too much bass on some tracks. Thanks in advance for any help!

Mar 25, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #297 of 5,364
Hey Head-fi! Been looking around for a bit, i'm looking for a DURABLE set of all rounder IEMs, budget's up to $200 but i'll like to spend less if possible, i've been looking at the CKM50 thread, any opinions on other IEMs at that price?

Mar 25, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #298 of 5,364
Hi guys,

I was thinking about upgrading my earbuds/iem. I have the skullcandy titans, and I heard they have bad sound quality. So I decided I need a new pair. My budget is under 50.
I also need earbuds/iem that have A LOT of bass. I mostly listen to dubstep and hip hop/rap.

Thanks!

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #299 of 5,364

Quote:

Quote:
The UE600 is a great all-rounder for me, but if you're looking to spend under $50, I just gifted a friend a pair of GR06s and they're quite lovely with rock music. They're a little more bassy than neutral in my opinion, but they're excellent for the price.

I've been reading reviews on the UE600 and most people love them, so they're an option to consider. What other IEMs in that price range are recommended?

EDIT: How about the Klipsch S4, Etymotic ER23-HF3 and the Denon AH-C560R?

Mar 25, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #300 of 5,364

Quote:
The MG7 will have a lot more bass quantity.  It's all sub bass and it's very high quality.  Overall it will be a dark sound than the GR07.  It's soundstage will be a lot smaller in width but also a lot deeper.  The MG7 does have some treble sparkle, its not just not as much as the GR07.  It also has a much thicker not than the GR07, which is just a matter of taste.  The MG7 is a fine IEM and I like it a lot.

I'd also recommend reading the JVC FXT90 thread.  It will maintain a lot of the things that the GR07 does but have more bass quantity.  It is overall a little bit brighter than the GR07 but has better timbre and musicality. 

Good luck.

Thank you, I actually was contemplating FXT90 but was having trouble finding an online or a local retailer.  There was a deal on MG7 so I got those and hopefully I can compare the two.  I really would like to try FXT90 as it seems to have a little more bass without losing much of what GR07 has to offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back