Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Mar 22, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #271 of 5,364
Thanks 50an6xy06r6n, Not really sure I am willing to forgo the detachable cable but I will look more into the JVC FXT90. How do you think they compare to the Sony MDR-EX600 which can be had for $130 and have the unique Sony sound? Which seems intriguing and something I might like.

As a side note it is kind of ridiculous that you have to answer all these requests alone, that this forum is not stickied, and that the site gets flooded with whats a good blah blah blah iem.

Mar 22, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #272 of 5,364
Hi people. After *****footing around and buying all manner of sub-£100 headphones, I'm finally ready to bite the bullet and invest a good chunk into something bigger. I'm looking at spending about £350 (approx $500 if memory serves), a number I'm sure some of you could spend twice over, but as a poor uni student that's as much as I'm able to lump up right now.

Audio quality is the primary, if not the sole, determining factor. I don't mind what form the headphones come in, whether it's on-ear or over ear, or a universal or custom IEM. Whatever produces the best sound in my budget is what I'd like to go with. My listening tastes gravitate towards metal, dubstep and electronic music of various stripes, so while I don't by any means want something that's bass heavy I'd like something with sufficient extension and impact at the low end to bring out the best of these genres without compromising the mids. I'd like them to be all-purpose if possible, so closed back would be preferable in terms of circum/super aurals, but not essential. The sources will be an 5th Gen iPod Video going into a FiiO E17 via LOD, and a MacBook Pro feeding into the FiiO E17/E9 combo via USB.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

Mar 22, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #273 of 5,364
Anyone got any reviews on the AKG K318?

Or could suggest any new ear/headphones (semi open, hate the in-ear canal ones). My Sennhieser MX760 just broke and i'm on the lookout for some new headphones but can't really find any, they are either years old or just very cheap and not good. I like a good bass... but under £50
(or just give me an ebay link to some real MX760s for last resort)

Mar 22, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #274 of 5,364
Damn...havent noticed this thread before. I am in need of some decent headphones with good sound quality, great comfortability and isolation good enough to let me enjoy my music on the noisy streets. I am willing to spend 100€-120 € max. Anyone can help me out? 

Mar 22, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #275 of 5,364
I'm a first time poster here so let me start off by thanking all the knowledge contributors for making this forum a success wealth of knowledge. Looking for guidance in making my first major headphone purchase. I am looking for an "all purpose" headphone that has decent isolation (drown out my teenagers while in my office), nice clarity/separation with a strong presence of the vocals. I am not a bass head nor a treble fanatic. I prefer warmth over accuracy in a durable yet some lightweight design. Musically my tastes are classic rock/metal and occasionally some country. I will be using the headphones with my PC with a Xonar sound card, my ipod classic (most files are 256 bit rate sadly), and in my Yamaha home theater.
Other selection criteria include, comfort while wearing eyeglasses, durable/secure enough to stand up to sweating through moderate cardio sessions on an elliptical/stair-climber. IEM's are not option as I have had 6 ear surgeries and my doctor has said absolutely no in ear phones (not even allowed a bluetooth for phone calls). Previously I have owned a Sony MDR-NC7 (gift) and could never ever wear them, For some unknown reason the active noise cancellation played hell with my ear condition and caused dramatic pressure felt on my ear drums. Not mention that they sounded like total garbage. My budget is up to $250 but of course getting a bargain would make my wife very happy. The only headphones that my local retailer had on display were Sony's, Klipsch Reference 1, and of course all those crappy "rapper cans".
Thanks for your time and feedback. I'm concerned that my expectations may be unrealistic in finding on 1 headphone for all my needs, hopefully my concerns will be for naught.

Mar 22, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #277 of 5,364
Hello,
This is my first post but I have been a long time reader and had a question I was wondering if anyone can help with. Pretty much I was hoping to get the impressions anyone has about the difference between the Ety MC5, the Sony MDR-EX310 versus the Sony MDR-EX300 and RE0 that I already have. If you can give me an idea of how the first two differ from the second two that would be great

Mar 23, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #278 of 5,364
hi, this is my first post here. i have always been into headphone, but mostly cheaper iem(cx300, klipsch s4, etc). i am looking for a pair of on ear hn neadphone. i really like the sennheiser adidas hd25, i tried it on once in store and fall in love with it, the look and the sound. but the price is alittle bit too much for me, so i read that Audio technica ws55 is also a great pair of on ear headphone and been getting really good review on it, and much cheaper than hd25 too. 
anyone know how is the ws55 compare to hd25? does the hd25 worth the extra 100-150$? i heard both of the headphone have good bass, and i love bass. would ws55 be an altrnative for hd25?
thanks 

Mar 23, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #279 of 5,364
Monster Turbine Pro Copper VS Atomic Floyd Superdarts?

Hi All.
i am in the market as it were for a new pair of IEM's. i was delighted when i saw this forum because it introduced me to IEM's and brands that i did not even know existed before.
however i am now spoiled for choice and i can't make up my mind what i want, so i am seeking advice or recommendations from anyone with the time to reply.

a little background, i like to listen to a fairly broad range of music, ranging from classical through to metal. i enjoy artists ranging from Vivaldi, Adelle, Smashing Pumpkins, The Beatles, Florence & The Machine through to Disturbed and Metallica.
i however categorically refuse to listen to RnB, Hip Hop and Rap music.
i listen to music both on the go, in public transport and at home, so i need something that can handle all three situations.
they also need to be fairly robust and durable as i generally roll them up and stash them in my pocket with my phone when they are not in use.
i am currently using a pair of apple IEM's and Monster Jamz, but they just are not cutting it imo.

i would also really like them to have iPod/iPhone control capabilities, but i am open to looking for alternative solutions to this if need be.
i have looked a bit into both the Monster Turbine Pro Copper and Atomic Floyd Superdarts IEM's, they seem to tick all the boxes but i am not in the position to try any of them before buying them, so i am hoping that someone here has tried both, and can give me a comparison. or perhaps offer something better to look into.

thanks to anyone that takes the time to read this and reply.

Mar 24, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #280 of 5,364
Hi, 

I am new to the forum and to better sounds.  I had bought Etymotic 6i a while back and it started to have cable problems and got myself a Zune Premium headphones on a deal.  I really like the bass on those even though I wouldnt consider myself "basshead".  

After reading all the positive things about GR-07 on this forum I decided to get it.  Although I am really impressed by the crisp sound, I am not sure if its the right one for me.  Only if it had just a tad bit more bass I would have been happy.  I listen to almost all type of music: Doors, King of Leon, Moby, Chet Baker, Florrence+The Machine, Franz Ferdinand, some classical as well ....just prefer a bit more bass.

My range is around $150.

Currently looking at Atrio Future Sonic MG7 Pro.  Any thoughts or any other recommendations?

Thank you

Mar 24, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #282 of 5,364
I've been lurking for a little while now, and trying to do research on what my best options to replace my Klipsch S4i is. I primarily listen to dubstep and alternative, and while I have in the past been guilty of being a Bass Head, I feel as I've gotten older I more classify as someone who requires bass, but also wants the mids and highs to be present and clear. I'll be using my Android phone as my player, and I need a mic and 1 or more buttons. Right now I'm planning to buy Shure SE215 with the optional mic/button cable. Any other suggestions in the $100 - $150 range that meet these basic needs? 1: Must have mic/button cable (I do talk on the phone with, ear/headphones. 2: Bass must be punchy, but not at the expense of clarity of the Mids and highs. To compare against other IEMs/headphones, I've got Klipsch S4i and Bowers and Wilkins P5's. I love the bass of the Klipsch, but find the mids/highs lacking. P5's sound really good (possibly not as good as others in their price range, but since I run a B&W, warehouse, I didn't pay full price), but the bass is too lacking without adjusting the EQ on my phone drastically. However, I find ways to enjoy both immensely.

Mar 24, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #283 of 5,364
Choose please:
My Sennhieser mx780 broke a couple of days ago (
frown.gif
they were kinda perfect) and i've been doing some research for some new earbuds. I quite like a bass, so here goes:

AKG K318,
Sennheiser mx880/ 980
Audio Technica ATH-CM700 BW/ TI

I would like to include some Yuin or Hi Sound Audio (or Audio Technica 707) but can't really find any trusting sites to aquire them so these will have to do.

What do you suggest and why?

Mar 24, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #284 of 5,364
Silly question:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Ears-TripleFi-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B0019RBJOE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332639116&sr=8-1

The Ultimate Ears triple fi 10 are US$ 180 @ amazon, would that be a bargain for this pair of iems?

I've read a lot of complaints about the cable build quality on the TF10s, can anyone coment on it?
SQ wise it seems to be a very good iem with a kind of taste-dependant, not the one to please everyone aparently, but still very good.

Do anyone knows how they fare against the westone's 3 & 4, and also against Shure's 535?

Mar 24, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #285 of 5,364

Quote:
Hi, 

I am new to the forum and to better sounds.  I had bought Etymotic 6i a while back and it started to have cable problems and got myself a Zune Premium headphones on a deal.  I really like the bass on those even though I wouldnt consider myself "basshead".  

After reading all the positive things about GR-07 on this forum I decided to get it.  Although I am really impressed by the crisp sound, I am not sure if its the right one for me.  Only if it had just a tad bit more bass I would have been happy.  I listen to almost all type of music: Doors, King of Leon, Moby, Chet Baker, Florrence+The Machine, Franz Ferdinand, some classical as well ....just prefer a bit more bass.

My range is around $150.

Currently looking at Atrio Future Sonic MG7 Pro.  Any thoughts or any other recommendations?

Thank you

The MG7 will have a lot more bass quantity.  It's all sub bass and it's very high quality.  Overall it will be a dark sound than the GR07.  It's soundstage will be a lot smaller in width but also a lot deeper.  The MG7 does have some treble sparkle, its not just not as much as the GR07.  It also has a much thicker not than the GR07, which is just a matter of taste.  The MG7 is a fine IEM and I like it a lot.

I'd also recommend reading the JVC FXT90 thread.  It will maintain a lot of the things that the GR07 does but have more bass quantity.  It is overall a little bit brighter than the GR07 but has better timbre and musicality. 

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back