Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Mar 19, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #258 of 5,364

Quote:
Hi all,

I have been using the UE triple fi 10 pro for 3 years now, and they recently broke, so I am kinda looking for a replacement and maybe an upgrade? i really liked these earphones, the only complain i have is that they are not quite comfortable... so I really want to find a pair of IEMs that is a lot more comfortable than the UE triple fi 10 pro (won't hurt or feel discomfort even after long hours of wearing? more than 6 hours, as i do quite a lot of traveling) my budget will be around £300 something tops? also i would like them to have replaceable cables! :) thanks!

Just curious, was it the wire, housing, or driver that broke? if the drivers are fine, then you could, as someone suggested turn them into customs. As far as comfort goes, ergonomic, over-ear IEMs like Shures, Westones, SM3 v2, etc. tend to be pretty comfortable (at least from what I've heard and my experiences with the A151 and GR07). Shures, the SM3v2, and some Westones have replaceable cables. 

Mar 19, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #260 of 5,364
ok, didn't see this one so i'm gonna ask here aswell:

Quote:
I guess I'm interested in bass and a clear sound. Low and mid range.
As of right now I don't like the length of the cable on Shure's (although I understand I can replace it) and from some reviews Denon seems to leak a lot.

Also added on the list are the T-Jays Three.

L.E: The more I read the more I get confused. Now I'm starting to look at the Beyerdynamic DTX 101 iE as well. From a shortlist of 3 now I'm at 5. And I didn't even went to the Sennheiser's (had a CX 300-II) as I want something else.

Shure SE215 - the cable too long, don't wanna go looking for a new cable on a pair of brand new 'phones
AKG K350 - i would like a video review / more reviews about them and specially about their weaknesses
Denon AH-C560R - too much leak sound?
T-Jays Three - they start to look like the winner
Beyerdynamic DTX 101 iE - just started reading about them, some high ratings on review sites

Mar 19, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #261 of 5,364
Hi,

My main setup for office use is: iPod classic -- iBasso T3 -- PK1, and as I like the forward mids/"Grado" sound, this setup has served me well for my music which is 60% rock, 20% hip-hop, 20% others, mostly in AAC 256 kbps VBR.  (Can go all loseless ALAC but I can't hear the difference).

Eg. The Black Keys, The White Stripes, Shiina Ringo, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Metric, Jay-Z, etc..

Recently there's a lot of construction going on and I've switched to my RE0 + Comply Tx-400 tips, and while they sound good, it's just not the same as PK1's due to the lack of bass and smaller sound stage

Option A:  find another pair of IEM's that are closer to the "Grado"/PK1 sound.

After going through a bunch of threads, it seems like the usual suspects are:

- RE262/RE272
- ER-4S
- CK10
- TF10
- VSonic GR07

I've kind of ruled out CK10, TF10 and GR07 due to the need to wear them over the ear, as I'm in the office and need to take the ear buds/IEMs off quite often, so I would prefer to wear it with the wire down.  I won't have a chance to audition these before buying, so I'm going by impressions of others here on Head-fi.

Question A: Would RE262 be the best choice given my setup?  If not, other suggestions are welcomed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Option B:  upgrade my T3 amp to an RSA Mustang and use my existing PK1/RE0

Volume wise the T3 is sufficient as I listen at 2/10 volume settings in the office, but sound signature-wise, the Mustang seem to be know for great bass and mids.

Question B: Would the Mustang change the sound of the RE0 significantly (for the good) when compared to the T3?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Budget is max $400ish (covering the RSA Mustang + shipping).

Thanks in advance!

Mar 20, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #263 of 5,364

Quote:
Would you guys buy IEMs off of Amazon's Warehouse deal? Pondering if I should pick up Meelectronics A151s off them

? Seriously? It's like 43 dollars in the warehouse deal and only 50 new. I'd rather purchase them off a trusted head-fier then the warehouse deals to be honest. 

Mar 20, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #264 of 5,364
so ive been using standard apple earphones for a while and have had a few iems that were around the $50 mark, i listen to metal and dubstep mainly and will be using an ipod touch. Im looking for something more portable so far ive been thinking about the sennheiser PXC 310s and the V-Moda M80s headphones  i dont really know much about whats out there, im willing to spend some money probably about $350ish any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 20, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #265 of 5,364

Quote:
ok, didn't see this one so i'm gonna ask here aswell:

I guess I'm interested in bass and a clear sound. Low and mid range.
As of right now I don't like the length of the cable on Shure's (although I understand I can replace it) and from some reviews Denon seems to leak a lot.

Also added on the list are the T-Jays Three.

L.E: The more I read the more I get confused. Now I'm starting to look at the Beyerdynamic DTX 101 iE as well. From a shortlist of 3 now I'm at 5. And I didn't even went to the Sennheiser's (had a CX 300-II) as I want something else.

Shure SE215 - the cable too long, don't wanna go looking for a new cable on a pair of brand new 'phones
AKG K350 - i would like a video review / more reviews about them and specially about their weaknesses
Denon AH-C560R - too much leak sound?
T-Jays Three - they start to look like the winner
Beyerdynamic DTX 101 iE - just started reading about them, some high ratings on review sites

Not to deflect the question too much, but go scan ljokerl's IEM thread to get a better idea of what your choices at this price range are. There's so many it would be hard to list here, and it all depends on the sound you like.

Quote:
Hi,

My main setup for office use is: iPod classic -- iBasso T3 -- PK1, and as I like the forward mids/"Grado" sound, this setup has served me well for my music which is 60% rock, 20% hip-hop, 20% others, mostly in AAC 256 kbps VBR.  (Can go all loseless ALAC but I can't hear the difference).

Eg. The Black Keys, The White Stripes, Shiina Ringo, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Metric, Jay-Z, etc..

Recently there's a lot of construction going on and I've switched to my RE0 + Comply Tx-400 tips, and while they sound good, it's just not the same as PK1's due to the lack of bass and smaller sound stage

Option A:  find another pair of IEM's that are closer to the "Grado"/PK1 sound.

After going through a bunch of threads, it seems like the usual suspects are:

- RE262/RE272
- ER-4S
- CK10
- TF10
- VSonic GR07

I've kind of ruled out CK10, TF10 and GR07 due to the need to wear them over the ear, as I'm in the office and need to take the ear buds/IEMs off quite often, so I would prefer to wear it with the wire down.  I won't have a chance to audition these before buying, so I'm going by impressions of others here on Head-fi.

Question A: Would RE262 be the best choice given my setup?  If not, other suggestions are welcomed.

Option B:  upgrade my T3 amp to an RSA Mustang and use my existing PK1/RE0

Volume wise the T3 is sufficient as I listen at 2/10 volume settings in the office, but sound signature-wise, the Mustang seem to be know for great bass and mids.

Question B: Would the Mustang change the sound of the RE0 significantly (for the good) when compared to the T3?

Budget is max $400ish (covering the RSA Mustang + shipping).

Thanks in advance!

I can't answer for Option B, but as far as Option A goes, I don't think the ER-4S will offer that much more bass over the RE0s, and the same goes for the CK10s. Personally, I don't find over-ear wear to be all that limiting when I need to take my IEMs off quickly, as I can leave them hanging down for easy re-insertion later. At least from what I've read, the RE262s are very smooth, and though they're mid-forward, might not give the same bite as the Grados. Unfortunately, I don't really know of any IEMs that sound particularly like Grados, as I've only heard a pair of Grados once and very briefly.

Quote:
Would you guys buy IEMs off of Amazon's Warehouse deal? Pondering if I should pick up Meelectronics A151s off them

Eh, it's probably safe enough, and Amazon covers you, I think, but if the difference is ~$5, might as well just buy new ones.

Quote:
so ive been using standard apple earphones for a while and have had a few iems that were around the $50 mark, i listen to metal and dubstep mainly and will be using an ipod touch. Im looking for something more portable so far ive been thinking about the sennheiser PXC 310s and the V-Moda M80s headphones  i dont really know much about whats out there, im willing to spend some money probably about $350ish any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

As far as on-ear portables go, the M80 and HD25 are popular choices. I haven't heard a ton about the Sennheisers, but in general, with ANC/Bluetooth sets like that, you pay a premium for the fancy features (which is fine if you're going to be taking advantage of them), but the sound quality might not be up to par with other headphones in its price range. 

Mar 20, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #266 of 5,364
Alright so now that I haven't lost or broke my pair of cheaper sennheiser iems(~$20 forgot what model) that i have had for a year and a half; I feel that I could get a pair of ~$100 iems for general usage. Things that I feel necessary for the new iems to have is a detachable cable and good sound quality. As stated i would like to pick them up for around $100 but absolute max would be below $200 shipped because in my opinion if you spend more than that on a universal iem you should just spend the extra cash and get customs. Currently the only iem I could find that fits my requirements is the shure se215 is there any other iem other than the tf10 because I think paying ~$160 for it is too much considering it was going for ~$120 like a month ago. The sound signature I prefer is neutral to a little bassy but I am open to experimentation as I listen to all types of music. Thanks in advance :)

Mar 20, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #267 of 5,364
For eartips, what are the most universally-liked tips? I can't really find a thread that was dedicated to discussing tips. I've heard Shures Olives, Monster tips, and Sony Hybrids often but how do they feel and how long would they lost since I know the Olives are foam-based.

Mar 21, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #268 of 5,364

Quote:
Alright so now that I haven't lost or broke my pair of cheaper sennheiser iems(~$20 forgot what model) that i have had for a year and a half; I feel that I could get a pair of ~$100 iems for general usage. Things that I feel necessary for the new iems to have is a detachable cable and good sound quality. As stated i would like to pick them up for around $100 but absolute max would be below $200 shipped because in my opinion if you spend more than that on a universal iem you should just spend the extra cash and get customs. Currently the only iem I could find that fits my requirements is the shure se215 is there any other iem other than the tf10 because I think paying ~$160 for it is too much considering it was going for ~$120 like a month ago. The sound signature I prefer is neutral to a little bassy but I am open to experimentation as I listen to all types of music. Thanks in advance :)

The detachable cables requirements limits you significantly, as most IEMs don't have them, and it's basically the Shures. IMO, you probably don't really need it, as long as you take even moderately good care of your headphones (which you should if you're paying $100+). If you're willing to forgo the replaceable cables, check out the JVC FXT90s.

Quote:
For eartips, what are the most universally-liked tips? I can't really find a thread that was dedicated to discussing tips. I've heard Shures Olives, Monster tips, and Sony Hybrids often but how do they feel and how long would they lost since I know the Olives are foam-based.

Sony Hybrids are nice because they fit and seal quite nicely with most ears, and can be stretched to fit onto almost any nozzle. If there's Sony Outlet store near you (there aren't a ton, unfortunately), they sell them for $.50 a pack. Otherwise, they're a pricier ~$7. The monster tips are supposed to be nice too, but I've never tried them. They sell a sampler pack though that includes a lot of different kind of tips, as well as some accessories. Olives are supposed to be one of the longer lasting foam tips, as I think they have some kind of resilient coating (as opposed to Comply tips, for example).

Mar 21, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #269 of 5,364
I've done a bit more forum searching/reading and I think the JVC FXT90 seems to be closer to the Grado/PK1 sound that I'm looking for.  Most reviews have described the mids as being forward, and more in your face sound (compared to GR07 for example).  Also a bonus that the FXT90 doesn't necessarily require an amp so it'll work better with the Clip+.

Anyone tried these FXT90's with music that has lots of guitars/female vocals?

Thanks!

Mar 21, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #270 of 5,364

Quote:
I've done a bit more forum searching/reading and I think the JVC FXT90 seems to be closer to the Grado/PK1 sound that I'm looking for.  Most reviews have described the mids as being forward, and more in your face sound (compared to GR07 for example).  Also a bonus that the FXT90 doesn't necessarily require an amp so it'll work better with the Clip+.

Anyone tried these FXT90's with music that has lots of guitars/female vocals?

Thanks!

I think that's a better question for the FXT90 appreciation thread. You'll get a lot more responses there, and a more representative view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back