Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Feb 26, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #76 of 5,364
I'd appreciate guidance on available universal fit IEMs with replaceable cabling, inline microphone and price of less than $600. I'm looking for something that will isolate better than my Sennheiser IE8s, and allow me to talk on my iPhone. Is there any options other than Shure?

Feb 26, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #77 of 5,364
Thanks for the info; I do feel a bit of a muppet having not considered the extra cable option :). I did a quick search and there are a couple that I could use so that opens the field up to pretty much anything that meets the other criteria.

I have often considered the Audeo Phonak PFE range, but whenever I've looked they do appear awfully fragile - admittedly, I've not seen them 'in the flesh' so I could be wrong on that.  But any beyond the price that I paid for the MC5's I'd want to have pretty good durability.

Loquah, can I ask what you were using before the 535 and how it relates to them?

Thanks!

Sorry it took so long to reply.

I was previously using HiFi Man Re0, but a cable came loose. Otherwise I loved the Re0 and felt no need to change. But I'm so glad I did.

I loved the detail I'm the Re0, but agree it's a bit thin with certain bass. The 535 (limited ed) does everything the Re0 did only better. The detail is crazy, mids smooth and liquid and the bass is much stronger, but always in balance.

I've added a custom cable for a minor sound improvement, but the stock setup is brilliant.

Feb 26, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #78 of 5,364

Quote:

Hi Everyone,

New to this forum, but there is some great info,

im looking to upgrade from these ****ty stock apple head phones to something alot better,,  

im currently looking at ibeats by dre, Monster Jamz and Skullcandy 50/50s 

I want a in ear head phone that packs alot of bass ( as i listen to alot of dub step, electro, heavy bass music) 

Ideally in the 100-150 price bracket..... reply on this Thread or message me personally would be great.

:)

I agree with the previous poster on the Atrios for pure bass, but also consider something a bit more balanced like the FXT90s.

Quote:
I listen to Ephixa, Skrillex, and songs from lesser known artists. My main source for them will be an iPhone 4S. 

As above, the Atrios are a good choice for bass, but also check out the Brainwavz M2 or fisher Audio Eterna.

Quote:
Hi,

Im in the UK atm and am looking to buy some IEMs. Im no great audiophile, I'm just looking for something that will work well with the london Tube + walking.

I have been looking at the Shure 425 model (aprox £190) and am not looking to spend any more cash than about the price of those.

I have certain questions:

I listen to a bit of everything (though the most bassy music i listen to is pop) I was wondering whether the shures would be a good "all rounder". Some ppl have suggested Westone 2 (similar price; the Westone 3s are a bit too expensive).

Also, i will be listening to these with my Iphone and I was wondering the size of the 3.5mm plug since i have a case on my phone and i have had issues where i had to take the case off because i couldnt fit the IEM jack in properly.

Basically, if someone with a pair of 425s could measure their plug and post the diameter that would be great.

Also, any suggestions of alternative IEMs under £200 which are good "all rounders", fun and reliable (sturdy is necessary for everyday use).

Thanks in advance :)

GR07, FXT90 and Westones also fit the bill, though they all have different sound sigs.

Quote:
Hello,

I'd started a thread on 'IEM-s for rock/metal lover' to help me to choose an iem for my daily commute. Here's a link to the thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/595171/iems-for-rock-metal-lover

I had been considering Brainwavz M2, UE 500 & 600, Panasonic HJE900 and UE TF10-s. Thanks to the advice of many head-fiers and a LOT of reading, I've narrowed down my list and now it looks like this:

1) JVC FXT90

2) VSonic GR07

3) UE TF10

My thoughts on them based on various reviews/threads run like this: ( I cannot audition any one of them as they aren't avail. in my country- I'll have to order them online)

JVC FXT90: Seems to be a fun energetic pair well suited for rock. Was particularly interested after shotgunshane's remarks on how well they sounded with electric guitars. I was all set to pull the trigger on it but after reading issues about driver flex and failure and a bad connector has filled me with doubt and apprehension. Can anybody throw more light on this? Should I be worried about the durability of these phones?

VSonic GR07: Most owners are waxing praises about it. I'm not an audiophile and am worried whether it would sound too flat and lifeless to me. I use a lousy Creative EP630 for my commute and are the GR07-s more enjoyable to listen to than them?

UE TF10-s: An overwhelming majority voted that the TF10-s were the ideal pair for me on the poll I had on my initial thread. The reviews are raving about their SQ but are also critical of its large housings and comfort. For comparison, I do not find my Grados uncomfortable (if that's of any relevance).. I usually get a good seal with small/ medium tips. Are the TF10-s so uncomfortable to wear and get a good fit? Also, are the drivers prone to failure? Lastly, do you think that my phone can drive them without having to use a portable amp?

My ramblings aside, which, according to you guys would be the best for my preferred genre? Which one would be the best bet among the three the most reliable in the long run and cure upgraditis?

Here's how I'd like my next iem to sound:

Bass: I like some bass in my music. I hate it when it sounds too dry. But I don't like it to be too bloated, muddy and giving me a headache. It should also be snappy, quick and impactful otherwise the fast drumming in metal would feel awful. I hope I'm clear here..

Mids: I chose the Grados and for a very good reason- guitar solos and basses never sounded this good! I don't find the mid heavy sound of the Grados fatiguing. However, I don't have a clue as to how good mids would sound on an IEM as opposed to an open-ear headphone.

Treble: Easy- I'd like some decent definition here. I'd like to hear the cymbals crashing and sparkle unlike the lousy reproduction of my Creatives. I don't mind a hot sound here as it adds to the excitement.

I'm not an audiophile yet- I have a short attention span. While listening to music, I tend to stop listening for details and simply enjoy the music instead of analysing it.

Source: While commuting, it's my SE X8 smartphone. It can drive my Grado SR60i without too much hassle. It's mostly 320 kbps mp3 in the X8. I do not use a portable amp.

Please help me out guys! It's so hard to make a clear decision here!! Making things more difficult is that all three of them cost around the same when shipped to my country! It's quite confusing and frustrating for me as I cannot try them out and make my choice... Thanks for reading!

JVCs and TF10s will be more v-shaped, which gives more weight to bass and sparkle to treble. The TF10s do seem to be prone to fit issues for people with smaller ears, while the JVCs seem to be a bit easier to fit. The GR07 is more neutral, but works really nicely with drums, and is very quick and snappy, though perhaps not as impactful. The GR07s also have a couple durability issues, but it's mainly just the strain relief coming loose, and you can glue it back on pretty easily. That said, I think the JVCs might fit you better due to the fun sound and easy fit.

Quote:

Hey guys, i have a budget of 120 GBP, and would like some portable headphones which dont need an amp to be used well, will be comfortable, over ear, and be exiting for techno, electronic, dance and such, but be clear precise for slower songs. I didnt know what to go for, and have looked at the hd25-1 ii, but didnt know if its worth the 150 GBP outlay? im after something that sounds special prodominantly for that electronic/dance, and I had bose AE's before, and were perfect, but only suited electronic and that kinda genre so? 

Well, stuff like the HD25s might not be the most comfortable for long stretches, since they're on-ear, but will be fine for an hour or two, and will work well with your electronic genres. There aren't a whole lot of over-ear portables either, unless you're willing to sacrifice some portability and get a pair of DJ-style cans, which tend to have longer cords. Just for reference, that category would include the M50s and Ultrasone HFI580/780s.

Quote:
I'd appreciate guidance on available universal fit IEMs with replaceable cabling, inline microphone and price of less than $600. I'm looking for something that will isolate better than my Sennheiser IE8s, and allow me to talk on my iPhone. Is there any options other than Shure?

The new Westone 4R is basically the Westone 4 with a removable cable, and there's also the SM3v2, if you can find a cable with a mic. For $600, though, you could even get an entry-level custom and add your own mic cable.

Feb 26, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #79 of 5,364
Quote:
The new Westone 4R is basically the Westone 4 with a removable cable, and there's also the SM3v2, if you can find a cable with a mic. For $600, though, you could even get an entry-level custom and add your own mic cable.

Thank you. I'll wait another month (maybe) to see if the Westone EPIC MICS cable is released - looks like that has been "coming soon" since October. Are there any custom volume/microphone cables that run less than $100?

Feb 27, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #81 of 5,364

Quote:

JVCs and TF10s will be more v-shaped, which gives more weight to bass and sparkle to treble. The TF10s do seem to be prone to fit issues for people with smaller ears, while the JVCs seem to be a bit easier to fit. The GR07 is more neutral, but works really nicely with drums, and is very quick and snappy, though perhaps not as impactful. The GR07s also have a couple durability issues, but it's mainly just the strain relief coming loose, and you can glue it back on pretty easily. That said, I think the JVCs might fit you better due to the fun sound and easy fit.

Thanks 50an6xy06r6n! I'm gonna order a pair of the FXT90 L2-s from e-bay from a buyer called ebisu-japan. Sadly, buyfromjapan doesn't ship to India and ebisu-japan has been quick and helpful in answering my questions. They also accept returns so I think they're legit.
Lastly, are the FXT90-s made in Japan or are they made in China?

Feb 27, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #82 of 5,364
Hey everyone, new member of Head-fi and I must say my whole perspective of headphones has changed drastically. 
With that being said, i recently purchased the ath-m50s headphones and i'm loving it, but now I'd like to buy headphones for when i go to the gym (mainly lifting weights and not running or anything with plenty of movement).

I'm hoping to buy a portable on-ear or over ear headphones. Since i'll be using it for lifting I'll mainly be listening to rap music or other songs that will "pump" me up so bass is a +. Also, not a requirement, but I'd love great isolation/non-leakage. 

I've already narrowed it down to the JVC HA-S700 and the Monoprice MHP-839.

Reasons why i chose these were because of the great reviews and cost of each. I like how the MHP-839's has a disconnecting cable, but I'm not sure if it will fit me properly due to having a small/medium sized head.  I really don't need high end cans for now. 

Please help! 
-Brandon

Feb 27, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #83 of 5,364

Quote:

Thanks 50an6xy06r6n! I'm gonna order a pair of the FXT90 L2-s from e-bay from a buyer called ebisu-japan. Sadly, buyfromjapan doesn't ship to India and ebisu-japan has been quick and helpful in answering my questions. They also accept returns so I think they're legit.
Lastly, are the FXT90-s made in Japan or are they made in China?

I think China, but I'm not positive. Maybe check the appreciation thread. Hope you enjoy them!

Feb 28, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #85 of 5,364
hey there, 

for the last few years i've used various pairs of in ears that have bounced around between $50-$80, but ive decided on taking a step up in terms of quality now that the sony pair i was using have died on me, probably looking at spending up to or around the $200 mark
i listen mainly to a range of rock, alternative, grunge and punk i guess, with some blues as well (smashing pumpkins, nirvana, pixies, rolling stones, velvet underground, stone roses, the clash, jawbreaker, husker du, replacements, hendrix, dylan, to name a few...)

i've done a bit of reading and i've pretty much narrowed it down to one of the gr07, dba 02/b2, or tf10 i think.

i'm looking for i guess a pretty "real" sounding headphone that will display the music nicely. not overly fussed about bass, but still want it to be present and impressive when needed, and would like songs to kind of be enveloping, if you get what i mean (from what i read i guess that could mean having a good soundstage?).

i would be powering them with a 16GB 6th gen nano, mostly 320kbps or VBR, with a few 192 or less songs, but if the lower quality files turned out to be no good i've got most on cd and so could get better quality. also i'd be using them for probably a few hours a day, travelling to and from uni and studying.

at the moment i'm leaning close towards the GR07's, but have heard that they may be pretty revealing of the lesser quality songs...

also as a side note i would be happy to use an amp if needed, i like the idea of the fiio e6 based solely on size and cost, but it'd be cool to hear your opinions if there are better combinations or set ups out there.

thanks for any advice guys!

Feb 28, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #86 of 5,364
Hi everyone!
I'm new to this forum and I was planning to start a new thread about "Advice on an IEM below 100$ for Progressive Trance" but though I'd get flame by all you coz there's supposedly too many of these threads popping up. Problem is I've done a fair amount of research on head-fi itself and also the web in general but couldnt seem to find much useful info. The threads in head-fi about trance IEMs are either too old (2 years old) or out of my budget (200-500$). Sorry Im getting a bit long-winded :S

My Rig: BlackBerry Bold 9780, Zune 80GB, Studio XPS1645
Type of usage: Music mostly. Some times for movies too but not placed as priority
File format: mp3
Music genre: Progressive Trance + Mainstream music
Budget: 50$-100$
Headphone/ earphone type: IEM
Other requirements (if any): Preferably something more durable as I use it in the bus, LRT, walking, running under the rain :lol:
Previously owned:
- Lear 01 - its pretty good for its price but didnt feel anything special with the sound. My ears feel tired after listening to it for a prolonged period.
- Soundmagic PL11 - awesome earphones for its price but broke after rough usage. Very punchy but not as "rich" sounding as I would like. But its cheap so why complain? :)
- Soundmagic PL30 - Its not bad but I find it a bit lacking of rich sound again. I found it more like the lear01 tbh maybe coz I'm not that well versed in audiophile :hmm:

Here are some of the models I've been looking into based on reviews online:
- Feels pro 900 + Fiio E6 - 70$ (bundle pack) - Some forumers say this is a good buy if it were priced cheaper? and its a Single BA so its less bassy(I dont know what the heck that is)
- S4 + Comfy tx-100 tips(necessary?) - 100$ - I was told this provides good bass but not overly bassy but its more for pop music.
- Hi-Fi Man RE-0 - 75$ - I read somewhere in this forum it was given 10/10 for its value for producing REALLY good clarity and details BUT its bass shy.

I'm looking at something that will provide me with that rich bass experience with IEMs that can produce the low rumble but then not overpowering the mids and highs as I'm not a basshead. :D I loooooove progressive trance it gives me goosebumps.

My uncle will be heading to the states next month so are there any websites that I can grab a good deal on any IEMs?

Sorry if I sound pretty noob-ish to this whole new audiophile thing but I'm looking to get a decent pair of earphones and theres like 1000 types to choose from!

Feb 28, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #87 of 5,364
Hey guys

I am looking for a pair of earphone that have good and clear sound, good bass.
I usually listen to dance, pop music, like the chorus "dancing" bit the most.
I would use them to while i'm studying, chilling so ergonomic and sound isolation would not be a really big deal for me.

My main source is from my ipod or laptop.
The price range for me is from $150-$200
I have my friend in Hongkong so i'm pretty sure any kind of earphones would certainly be available to me.

I was thinking of SE 315 but since i heard many people said that it doesn't really have that good bass so i had to make up my mind so many times.

Please recommend me which brand and which type i should use that suits my purposes the most, thank you guys so so much!!!

Feb 28, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #88 of 5,364

Quote:
hey there, 

for the last few years i've used various pairs of in ears that have bounced around between $50-$80, but ive decided on taking a step up in terms of quality now that the sony pair i was using have died on me, probably looking at spending up to or around the $200 mark
i listen mainly to a range of rock, alternative, grunge and punk i guess, with some blues as well (smashing pumpkins, nirvana, pixies, rolling stones, velvet underground, stone roses, the clash, jawbreaker, husker du, replacements, hendrix, dylan, to name a few...)

i've done a bit of reading and i've pretty much narrowed it down to one of the gr07, dba 02/b2, or tf10 i think.

i'm looking for i guess a pretty "real" sounding headphone that will display the music nicely. not overly fussed about bass, but still want it to be present and impressive when needed, and would like songs to kind of be enveloping, if you get what i mean (from what i read i guess that could mean having a good soundstage?).

i would be powering them with a 16GB 6th gen nano, mostly 320kbps or VBR, with a few 192 or less songs, but if the lower quality files turned out to be no good i've got most on cd and so could get better quality. also i'd be using them for probably a few hours a day, travelling to and from uni and studying.

at the moment i'm leaning close towards the GR07's, but have heard that they may be pretty revealing of the lesser quality songs...

also as a side note i would be happy to use an amp if needed, i like the idea of the fiio e6 based solely on size and cost, but it'd be cool to hear your opinions if there are better combinations or set ups out there.

What about the RE262-s? Have you considered them? They do benefit from amping, but from what I've read in these forums, they seem to be good with details. 

You would like the songs to be 'enveloping'? I guess that means having a small soundstage, right? If that's indeed the case, you could drop the tf10-s as they appear to have a wide soundstage. From what I've read, the GR07 seems to have a two-dimensional soundstage (do correct me if I'm wrong). Please take my advice with a pinch of salt.. I'm in no way an expert.

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #89 of 5,364
Alright so after doing some extensive research and reading (including the entirety of this thread up to this point), I decided just to post and get you guys' opinion.  I'm in the market for some new, probably mid-fi IEMs.  Right now I have the Sennheiser CX-680s and Meelectronics M6, both of which I liked until I got the ATH-M50s for Christmas this past year.  I still like to use the M6s for the gym, but they pale in comparison to my M50s.  I've been doing a lot of traveling lately (I'm in Europe for a semester) and I can't bring the M50s with me as they're too big, so I would like to get some IEMs that perform on par with the M50s.  I don't mean to say that I want to reproduce the sound of the M50s, just the higher sound quality.  I wouldn't describe myself as an audiophile, just a music lover, I just want to be immersed in the music more.  I listen to a variety of music, but my most dominant genres are Rock, Acoustic, and Country.  These will be run entirely of my Ipod Nano ->LOD->Fiio E6 amp (so it would be nice if they respond well to EQing).  Mids are probably the most important to me, but I like to have bass present.  I'd say my budget is around $150 or less (90-100 GBP).  Comfort is needed as I have to wear them for long periods at a time, also isolation would be nice for plains and trains.  The IEMs that I'm interested right now are (in no particular order): Hifiman RE0, Brainwavz B2, Fischer DBA-02, and Shure SE215 (but other suggestions are more than welcome).  If you guys need any more info, please just ask and thanks in advance for the help
smile.gif

Feb 28, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #90 of 5,364

Quote:
hey there, 

Personally, I think my GR07s sound pretty natural, as they have more bass than the B2s, which some consider bass-light, and less bass and treble emphasis than the TF10s, which have a reputation for being more "fun." They'll be no more revealing than the B2s for low-quality files, so it's a bit of a wash there. Regardless, it sounds like your music files seem to be better quality than mine, and I haven't had too many issues with the GR07s being too revealing

Regarding the RE262s, the general consensus seems to be that they're fairly colored and mid-centric, though they are also very good IEMs. Also the soundstage isn't completely 2D, just wider than it is deep. IME, they don't really need amping, and I don't know how effective the E6 will be for amping anything. If anything, you could save for the E11 or a cMoy. I don't know too much about amps, though.

Quote:
Hi everyone!
I'm new to this forum and I was planning to start a new thread about "Advice on an IEM below 100$ for Progressive Trance" but though I'd get flame by all you coz there's supposedly too many of these threads popping up. Problem is I've done a fair amount of research on head-fi itself and also the web in general but couldnt seem to find much useful info. The threads in head-fi about trance IEMs are either too old (2 years old) or out of my budget (200-500$). Sorry Im getting a bit long-winded :S
My Rig: BlackBerry Bold 9780, Zune 80GB, Studio XPS1645
Type of usage: Music mostly. Some times for movies too but not placed as priority
File format: mp3
Music genre: Progressive Trance + Mainstream music
Budget: 50$-100$
Headphone/ earphone type: IEM
Other requirements (if any): Preferably something more durable as I use it in the bus, LRT, walking, running under the rain :lol:
Previously owned:
- Lear 01 - its pretty good for its price but didnt feel anything special with the sound. My ears feel tired after listening to it for a prolonged period.
- Soundmagic PL11 - awesome earphones for its price but broke after rough usage. Very punchy but not as "rich" sounding as I would like. But its cheap so why complain?
smily_headphones1.gif

- Soundmagic PL30 - Its not bad but I find it a bit lacking of rich sound again. I found it more like the lear01 tbh maybe coz I'm not that well versed in audiophile :hmm:
Here are some of the models I've been looking into based on reviews online:
- Feels pro 900 + Fiio E6 - 70$ (bundle pack) - Some forumers say this is a good buy if it were priced cheaper? and its a Single BA so its less bassy(I dont know what the heck that is)
- S4 + Comfy tx-100 tips(necessary?) - 100$ - I was told this provides good bass but not overly bassy but its more for pop music.
- Hi-Fi Man RE-0 - 75$ - I read somewhere in this forum it was given 10/10 for its value for producing REALLY good clarity and details BUT its bass shy.
I'm looking at something that will provide me with that rich bass experience with IEMs that can produce the low rumble but then not overpowering the mids and highs as I'm not a basshead.
biggrin.gif
I loooooove progressive trance it gives me goosebumps.
My uncle will be heading to the states next month so are there any websites that I can grab a good deal on any IEMs?
Sorry if I sound pretty noob-ish to this whole new audiophile thing but I'm looking to get a decent pair of earphones and theres like 1000 types to choose from!

Sorry, I'm not too familiar with progressive trance, but if you provide an example maybe I can help more. Now this is just one option and my opinion, but the Brainwavz M4 might fit some of your requirements. It's got bit of bass boost, and can give you that subbass rumble. Mids are a little recessed, however, and the treble is not overly boosted. Just for reference, is this what you're looking for?

Regarding the ones you've listed, I owned the S4s briefly, and don't remember them having all that much subbass, being midbass oriented, though they were very comfortable. The RE0s are renowned for their detail retrieval, but many find them bass-light, and might not have enough subbass. 

Quote:
Hey guys

I am looking for a pair of earphone that have good and clear sound, good bass.
I usually listen to dance, pop music, like the chorus "dancing" bit the most.
I would use them to while i'm studying, chilling so ergonomic and sound isolation would not be a really big deal for me.

My main source is from my ipod or laptop.
The price range for me is from $150-$200
I have my friend in Hongkong so i'm pretty sure any kind of earphones would certainly be available to me.

I was thinking of SE 315 but since i heard many people said that it doesn't really have that good bass so i had to make up my mind so many times.

Please recommend me which brand and which type i should use that suits my purposes the most, thank you guys so so much!!!

For dance and pop, it seems like you're looking for a more "fun" sound, which entails boosted bass and treble. Some examples would be the FXT90 and TF10, though there's a lot more I'm forgetting

Quote:
Alright so after doing some extensive research and reading (including the entirety of this thread up to this point), I decided just to post and get you guys' opinion.  I'm in the market for some new, probably mid-fi IEMs.  Right now I have the Sennheiser CX-680s and Meelectronics M6, both of which I liked until I got the ATH-M50s for Christmas this past year.  I still like to use the M6s for the gym, but they pale in comparison to my M50s.  I've been doing a lot of traveling lately (I'm in Europe for a semester) and I can't bring the M50s with me as they're too big, so I would like to get some IEMs that perform on par with the M50s.  I don't mean to say that I want to reproduce the sound of the M50s, just the higher sound quality.  I wouldn't describe myself as an audiophile, just a music lover, I just want to be immersed in the music more.  I listen to a variety of music, but my most dominant genres are Rock, Acoustic, and Country.  These will be run entirely of my Ipod Nano ->LOD->Fiio E6 amp (so it would be nice if they respond well to EQing).  Mids are probably the most important to me, but I like to have bass present.  I'd say my budget is around $150 or less (90-100 GBP).  Comfort is needed as I have to wear them for long periods at a time, also isolation would be nice for plains and trains.  The IEMs that I'm interested right now are (in no particular order): Hifiman RE0, Brainwavz B2, Fischer DBA-02, and Shure SE215 (but other suggestions are more than welcome).  If you guys need any more info, please just ask and thanks in advance for the help
smile.gif

Just to add to your list, look into the JVC FXT90s, which have a more fun sound than the B2s, etc. Also, if you haven't already, go check out ljokerl's excellent review thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back