Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Jan 29, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #2,657 of 5,364
Hey guys,

Looking for recommendation here since I am going to sell my ATH M-50. The main reason of the sale is because the pads are just not comfortable to my ear.

I am looking for:
- Closed headphones
- Big comfortable pads OR on ear is no problem as long as it does not clamp hard (velours is my preference), something like V-Jays is tolerable for me
- Under $200
- Portable
- No IEM please , my ears just don't like them
- Since I tried a more bass & treble centric cans like M-50, I would like to try a more mid-centric cans now

Thanks!

Jan 29, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #2,658 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey guys,

Looking for recommendation here since I am going to sell my ATH M-50. The main reason of the sale is because the pads are just not comfortable to my ear.

I am looking for:
- Closed headphones
- Big comfortable pads OR on ear is no problem as long as it does not clamp hard (velours is my preference), something like V-Jays is tolerable for me
- Under $200
- Portable
- No IEM please , my ears just don't like them
- Since I tried a more bass & treble centric cans like M-50, I would like to try a more mid-centric cans now

Thanks!

Sony MDR-1R sounds perfect for you. They go on sale occasionally, you should be able to find one at the $200 range.

Jan 29, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #2,659 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi guys, I'm (obviously) new here. I joined because my current pair of cheap junk headphones is busted and I'm only getting sound out of one ear, and I think it might be time to upgrade to something that'll actually sound good, rather than just replacing them with more cheap junk. I'm considering buying the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II, after reading this 9-way review, but since $200 is a lot of money, I wanted to post here first and see if you guys agreed it'd be a good pick, or if you could think of something else that'd suit me better.

Some things about me:

1. I'm not a fan of the in-ear style. I don't know if my ears are misshapen or I'm just an idiot, but I can never get them in comfortably, and they're just frustrating. I much prefer on- or over-ear headphones.
2. I listen to most of my music on a laptop computer, so I really don't want to have to buy a special amplifier for my headphones.
3. My tastes in music are pretty eclectic, which seems like a potential frustration, since it appears that each set of headphones is better for some types of music and worse for others. Here's my last.fm tag cloud, though, which should give you a better idea. And no making fun of my taste :p

I'm leaning toward the HD 25-1 because I've heard they're some of the best in the price range when it comes to rock music, which I listen to a lot. On the other hand, though, the artist from whom I have more "scrobbles" than any other is...Enya. Pretty much the opposite. She should still sound great in the HD 25-1s, though, right?

Oh, one last thing: I've got a pretty big head. What're the chances of the headphones not fitting me comfortably? That's honestly my biggest worry, lol. My head's not GIGANTIC or anything, but like, if they run small or tight or anything, that could be a problem. I was also looking at the ATH-M50, but I think I heard somebody say they were kind of tight, and if they're uncomfortably tight on somebody else, they'll probably be uncomfortably tight on me too, lol. Otherwise, the only thing leaning me more toward the HD 25-1 versus the ATH-M50 is that I've read the HD 25-1 is better for harder, faster, more aggressive music. I also think I remember reading something about the ATH-M50 being a little bit "brighter" (is that the word?) in the treble, whereas the HD 25-1 is a little softer up there. My ears are somewhat sensitive to the higher pitches of some of the cymbal crashes and stuff, so I think I'd prefer the 25-1 over the M50 in that case.

What do you guys think I should get? The Sennheiser, the AT, or something else?

Look at the Audio-Technica ESW9 too. In my opinion, it's one of the best portable headphones around. Female vocals sound magical out of them.

Jan 29, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #2,660 of 5,364
Quote:
Sadly, yes, it is rather neglected in terms of the higher end offerings. Plenty of people ask for earbuds since they are used to them, and I always have to leave them with little to no answers :frowning2:

If you're still interested in trying out IEMs, HF5s give pretty much most of the performance on the ER4s at half the price. Fantastic value. ADDIEMs are similar as well. VC02s look to be a good lead for that sort of sound sig, but haven't heard them yet.

I did some digging and came up with In Ear Matters' Earbuds Roundup and kostalex's Earbud Buyer's Guide. They may be out of date, but they had some useful information, and both pointed me towards Blox. The Blox TM7 looks like a good option if I go to the higher end. Not seeing any great cheap options, though, so you're more right than wrong!

I am still interested in IEMs, so I appreciate the pointers. The Vsonic VC02 is especially intriguing at $41. I'm not sure if I can actually use them in the office, that's the main thing. Also, I know from using earplugs that my canals are very different in shape and I don't know what problems that might cause. Despite the warning about fit, I'm still tempted to get the Monoprice 9927 just to test the water....

Thanks for the help, TwinQY!

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #2,661 of 5,364
Quote:

Sony MDR-1R sounds perfect for you. They go on sale occasionally, you should be able to find one at the $200 range.

The MDR-1R is more mid centric? I gotta investigate on that then. But, in my area the MDR-1R is priced for around $350
eek.gif
and with sale I doubt it will reach under $200 here... So perhaps a cheaper alternative?

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #2,662 of 5,364
I am basically at a dead end as of today, really have no idea what to get as unfortunately the most popular recommendations here seem to have potential issues for me, particularly in terms of fit/comfort and with no way of actually trying any of the recommendations so far (basically if it ant Beats, I cant demo it in terms of "premium" on ears) I am really hesitant to buy something I have no idea if I will actually like to or be able to wear.

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #2,663 of 5,364
Quote:

The MDR-1R is more mid centric? I gotta investigate on that then. But, in my area the MDR-1R is priced for around $350
eek.gif
and with sale I doubt it will reach under $200 here... So perhaps a cheaper alternative?

I mentioned the ESW9 earlier. Not as comfy as the 1R, but the sound's pretty much on par. Beautiful looks too. It is over-ear though.

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #2,665 of 5,364
Thanks for the welcome,
I started reading this site a week ago and have been on everyday since looking for a pair of IEM's. I started to order a set of Phonaks PFE 121 on Amazon for 140.00 then realized that they wouldn't work with the Samsung 3, but I'm not sure if I will still be able to answer phone calls which would be nice? I liked the way they fit and the reviews. Then I got started on the TDK 200 look like great reviews but then I read a bad review on I think Sound and Vision. So here I go again. I need something for the gym and wanted to try IEM's which usually don't sit well with me. I have the Bose IE now but I wanted to try something new. I don't like the idea of a amp right now. I like using my S3 phone because I have so many choices of programs. It would be nice to have a mic. so I can stay in touch. Price wise I would like to stay under 150.00. If you have some ideas please let me know.

Thanks 
Mitch

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #2,666 of 5,364
Quote:

I mentioned the ESW9 earlier. Not as comfy as the 1R, but the sound's pretty much on par. Beautiful looks too. It is over-ear though.

Thanks , was looking at the ESW9 also.  Audio Technica really knows what they are doing with the cups on their cans, they are really gorgeous.
Also , are the space inside of the pads for the ears of MDR-1R bigger than the M50s?

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #2,667 of 5,364
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for some great IEM's as a backup on-the-go to my AKG K242 HD, I use that one on the road too but sometimes I'd prefer to be capable of using some smaller 'phones. Currently I have the Sennheiser CX-300II for in-ear matters but they definitely lack in comparison with the AKG's(and probably many more headphones).

I use an iPhone 3GS as a source with the Venturecraft GO-Dap GD-03 as amp.
I prefer the in-ears to be under the $150 mark.
The music I listen to is a pretty broad list, but for some indication: Indie-Rock, Post-Rock, Prog-Metal, Nu-Metal, Metalcore, Trip-Hop, Lo-Fi, Dubstep, Drum & Bass and a good amount of OST's like the Lord of the Rings one.

Thanks in advance!

Jan 30, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #2,668 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for some great IEM's as a backup on-the-go to my AKG K242 HD, I use that one on the road too but sometimes I'd prefer to be capable of using some smaller 'phones. Currently I have the Sennheiser CX-300II for in-ear matters but they definitely lack in comparison with the AKG's(and probably many more headphones).

The music I listen to is a pretty broad list, but for some indication: Indie-Rock, Post-Rock, Prog-Metal, Nu-Metal, Metalcore, Trip-Hop, Lo-Fi, Dubstep, Drum & Bass and a good amount of OST's like the Lord of the Rings one.

Thanks in advance!

A little above your $150 mark, $160-$175 for UE TripleFi 10s on eBay. 

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #2,669 of 5,364
Hey Guys! 

I also need some advice!

I am looking for In-Ear Headphones or IEM! 
I have a pair of Senns HD650 at home, but I am hoping the IEMs could sound a bit more like the Senns HD600. 

90% of the time, I am listening to classical music. From Piano Solo to Clarinet Concertos. Everything. 
I am looking for a very detailed and neutral sound. So I guess somewhere between the 600 and 650!

My budget is about 350€ ~450$...

I am currently looking at the Ultimate Ears-900, Westone W4RC, Westone um3x or Fischer amps fa-3e.
Which one of those would be the best for me?
If none, what other ones could you guys recommend?

They are mostly for portable use only, and my amplification if needed, would be a FiiO E7.

Thanks in advance!

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #2,670 of 5,364
Quote:
hey i found a great new site which has a really good selection, ive shortlisted these
and these are the denon headphones 
http://www.junglee.com/mn/search/junglee/ref=sr_nr_p_4_38?rh=n%3A683847031%2Ck%3Aheadphones%2Cp_36%3A949020031%2Cp_4%3AHarman%7CDenon&bbn=683847031&keywords=headphones&ie=UTF8&qid=1359377726

Neat, like amazon for india.  Go with the KSC75s to start at least, for your purposes.

Quote:
Seems I have kinda backed myself into a corner with actually demoing the Solo HDs and then liking the form factor of them allot, but not being overly keen on them sonically(although I did not find them terrible to be honest) There is not a hell of allot else out there that is as compact as they are.

Not sure about the UK, but Apple stores here also have the UE6000.  You may like that better and it has noise cancelling for about the same price.

Quote:
I am a musician and I use in-ear monitors. I lost one side of my black Shure se315s and I would like to replace it without buying a brand new pair.

I know Shure does not sell this as a replacement part, and so far I haven't had luck on ebay.

Does anyone here have any other ideas or connections? I know I'm not the only one that has lost one side. From what I've heard, its a common issue since these headphones are designed to detach.

Welcome!
You can buy replacement cables.  It could just be the connection in the cable.
Quote:
hi...listening mostly to jazz on iphone 5 and ipad....looking in the $50-75 price range...do you think the Etymotic MC5 will be my best bet?
I can get them for $52+tax.....previously had the Sennheiser CX300 and thought they were pretty good for the money..also had the AT CKM50...
some negative reviews I'm reading about MC5 relates to poor comfort levels and plain sounding...I don't really want the fake 
over-the-top bass though....what do you think?
Ready to pull the trigger...just looking for some final guidance!

Check out the JVC HA-FX40 for about $20.  But I think an MH1C profile is what you're looking for.  I can't recommend the MH1C though for its crappy crappy cable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerBla /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Etymotics HF5?

Quote:
I am basically at a dead end as of today, really have no idea what to get as unfortunately the most popular recommendations here seem to have potential issues for me, particularly in terms of fit/comfort and with no way of actually trying any of the recommendations so far (basically if it ant Beats, I cant demo it in terms of "premium" on ears) I am really hesitant to buy something I have no idea if I will actually like to or be able to wear.

Let us know where you are?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back