Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Jan 27, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #2,611 of 5,364
Quote:

More impact/kick, not as rich/lush. Basically leaner and more clean. Some like the PX100s better for the sig though. 

ok but ive heard that the sound isolation is really bad and i was talking about this one (http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/in/products/JBL-Tempo-On-Ear/TEMPO%20ON-EAR_JBL_IN?skuId=TEMPO%20ON-EAR%20BLU_JBL_IN&searchMode=regularProductOnly).

so for the genres rock,metal(i listen to these genres the most),house and rap (px100ii would be better than all sennheisers in the same price range and do you have any other pair(sennheisers only as only those are widely available india)  in mind which u think would be better than the px100ii

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #2,612 of 5,364
Genres? Comfort? Isolation?

Yes, the XB500 might do. For something with more balance, LP2 (M80s are not anywhere near XB500 bass-levels, not that it's a bad thing) or COPs (adjustable bass)

Well genres I listen to are Hip Hop, Rock, Pop, Jazz and Reggaeton
Comfort I plan on using them for a couple of hours at a time so I would need some comfortable headphones.
Isoation don't really need that much since I would only really use them at school during testing and at home but I would really like them to not leak sound. With The Image One I can raise the volume without anybody around me hearing my music unlike my friend's Beats Studio which leak a lot once you raise the volume.

Edit: I don't remeber if I said this but I need something that can be used with just an iPod since I recently got the 5th generation and from what I read you can't really use an amp since the Lightning Port is now digital instead of analog.

Jan 27, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #2,613 of 5,364
alright guys thanks for all the suggestions after looking up some of the items Ive come to a final list which from one of these I will finally purchase some headphones let me know if I should remove any form the list: (V-moda) Crossfade LP2 Special Edition, Sennheiser PX 360/Amperior/MOMENTUM, (Logitech) UE 9000. alright im probably not going to get the 9000's as they exceed the jump in my budget but they are nice for wireless headphones and seem durable. the Crossfade from what I read were the best headphones and 2012 and they last like a super long time, the Sennheiser are all good choices too I just cant make a choice but I'm going to pick from one of these any suggestions, thoughts or concerns and feel free to let me know if I made a good decision.

Jan 27, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #2,614 of 5,364
Quote:
Well genres I listen to are Hip Hop, Rock, Pop, Jazz and Reggaeton
Comfort I plan on using them for a couple of hours at a time so I would need some comfortable headphones.
Isoation don't really need that much since I would only really use them at school during testing and at home but I would really like them to not leak sound. With The Image One I can raise the volume without anybody around me hearing my music unlike my friend's Beats Studio which leak a lot once you raise the volume.

Edit: I don't remeber if I said this but I need something that can be used with just an iPod since I recently got the 5th generation and from what I read you can't really use an amp since the Lightning Port is now digital instead of analog.

Nothing really power-heavy from the choices above, so I think you're good there.

LP2s might leak a bit (vented), the XB500 have slightly higher, just barely, bass quantity than the Image Ones (a testament to how bloated and slow they were). COPs are a bit more inconspicuous. 

Quote:
    ok but ive heard that the sound isolation is really bad and i was talking about this one (http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/in/products/JBL-Tempo-On-Ear/TEMPO%20ON-EAR_JBL_IN?skuId=TEMPO%20ON-EAR%20BLU_JBL_IN&searchMode=regularProductOnly).

so for the genres rock,metal(i listen to these genres the most),house and rap (px100ii would be better than all sennheisers in the same price range and do you have any other pair(sennheisers only as only those are widely available india)  in mind which u think would be better than the px100ii

They don't isolate, completely open, and the earpad design doesn't help. 

Not many other portable Senns that compare as well. Any AKGs there? (K518, 450 do quite nice, ask inline about the latter especially since he has them)

Quote:
Looking for a new pair of iem's and portable headphones for j-pop and j-rock.

MUSIC:  ayaka, YUI, Emi Fujita, Natsukawa Rimi, MISIA, Utada Hikaru, Namie Amuro, BoA, Thelma Aoyama, SCANDAL, Luna Sea, X Japan, ONE OK ROCK, UVERworld, High and Mighty Color, Miyavi, The Gazette, L'Arc~en~Ciel. So yeah, mainly female vocals and rock.

SOUND PREFERENCES:
  1. Good clarity/resoultion/transparency
  2. Airy
  3. Articulate
  4. Mids-vocals should sound realistic and natural. Also vocals should be upfront/forward. Vocalists should be centre forward while instruments should be placed behind the vocalist.
  5. treble have adequate sparkle (but not too much), with good extension and must not sound harsh/sibilant. 
  6. good soundstage- I am looking for a concert hall like soundstage!!! (but not make things sound muddy.)
  7. not a too bassy as I’m not much of a basshead.
  8. good imaging (able to pin point where instruments are and not congested on complex passages.)  

SOURCE: Sony Walkman Z.

BUDGET: $300-$500 each.

Phones I currently have are RE262, eq-7 and CK100.

Thanks.

I have the CK100PROs and eQ-5, so can generally get at what you're grasping at here (also a big raraku fan!)

Seems to me the EX1000s are what you're trying to describe in it's entirety. Airy, immense clarity. Bass has texture and kick, but seem level with the amazingly beautiful mids. Treble that you're looking for is there as well. Not to mention the soundstage/imaging. 

Again, basically describing the EX1000's sig already. Have you heard them or something? Resemblance is uncanny.

Quote:
Microphonics. That's most of it. It also helps stop them from getting pulled out of your ears, either if the cable gets stuck on them, or if the cable is simply very heavy.

Yep. It sounds like a little thing, but immensely helpful in the long run.

Quote:
Budget would be what id spend on the Solo HD's. So around £180 Max.

As to sound, not sure how to word what sound I like. Lows with punch,smooth and clear everything else and  an "open" soundstage/image would do it I think though..

Quote:

Sounds more like the M80s than anything else. The clamp isn't death grip like, so still not sure about the whole glasses ordeal. 

Might also want to look at the Phiatons, similar "smooth" sig, albeit with more bass. The pads are supposed to be over-ear, but really the size means an on-ear experience for most. Shouldn't touch the glasses.

Jan 27, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #2,615 of 5,364
I mistakenly started a new thread a couple of weeks ago with the same question and didn't get much response so I am posting here since it is the correct place for this question.

I am a huge Queen fan but I also listen to a lot of different things. From David Gray to Dark Tranquility, from ZZ Top to Zebrahead, Nine Inch Nails to Norah Jones. A lot of progressive too Rush, Queensryche, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree and Blackfield. But I also like bass, sometimes Kanye sometimes Hadouken! but then I'll throw on The Format, Fun. or Jellyfish. So what I'm looking for is something that can handle all of that if possible.

Looks like I need closed. Open seems to leak too much. My cellmate er...cubemate sits only 5 feet from me. I don't listen all that loud but I placed my KSC75s a few feet away at listening level and could hear them. Not loud mind you but I am sure it could become annoying to someone. At home I am very fond of my MS1s. I am looking for on ear (supra-aural) but hopefully with a lot of cushion like the Bose OE2 or B&W P5. Something real soft, I will have these on for about 8 hours a day 5 days a week. I wear glasses and circums tend to sit right on them and hurt. Plus I don't want something too obtrusive. I was looking at the P3 but when I auditioned them again at Best Buy I just didn't like their sound signature. I was able to plug my iPhone into it and play my own tracks but they just seem to lack character. Maybe they are too neutral for me? In my old age maybe I want more bass? I also tried the Skullcandy Navigator and those were very comfy but one ear cup wasn't working so that deterred me and I couldn't get a good idea of sound.

I'd like to stay around $200 and I have found a few local deals on the P3 for $150. I know a lot of people compare them to the VModa M80 but I haven't read much on comfort and those look a little more obtrusive and I am concerned about the oval pads for extended periods.

I would also like to take suggestions on the most comfortable IEM ever. I have TF10s but I can't seem to wear them for extended periods even with complies. I bought the Radians ear plugs to test out but that can be annoying taking out molds when someone comes to my desk. I am currently using Yuin PK3s and just received the DIY ones from ebay. I love the sound signature of these if that helps but they too hurt my ears after a while, maybe I have small ear holes? I am curious about the PAA-1 Pros as well but I assume I'll have the same issue with size.

So yeah that was a lot to read. Thanks to anyone who has read and hopefully I can get a few ideas.

Currently I own a lot of budget-fi: CX300, IM716, PK3, PX100, KSC75, KSC35, Sporta & Porta, SF5 Pro, TF10 Pro, K240S, A130, MDRV6, NE7M, SR225, MS1, Razer M100Pro

Jan 27, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #2,616 of 5,364
Quote:
I mistakenly started a new thread a couple of weeks ago with the same question and didn't get much response so I am posting here since it is the correct place for this question.

I am a huge Queen fan but I also listen to a lot of different things. From David Gray to Dark Tranquility, from ZZ Top to Zebrahead, Nine Inch Nails to Norah Jones. A lot of progressive too Rush, Queensryche, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree and Blackfield. But I also like bass, sometimes Kanye sometimes Hadouken! but then I'll throw on The Format, Fun. or Jellyfish. So what I'm looking for is something that can handle all of that if possible.

Looks like I need closed. Open seems to leak too much. My cellmate er...cubemate sits only 5 feet from me. I don't listen all that loud but I placed my KSC75s a few feet away at listening level and could hear them. Not loud mind you but I am sure it could become annoying to someone. At home I am very fond of my MS1s. I am looking for on ear (supra-aural) but hopefully with a lot of cushion like the Bose OE2 or B&W P5. Something real soft, I will have these on for about 8 hours a day 5 days a week. I wear glasses and circums tend to sit right on them and hurt. Plus I don't want something too obtrusive. I was looking at the P3 but when I auditioned them again at Best Buy I just didn't like their sound signature. I was able to plug my iPhone into it and play my own tracks but they just seem to lack character. Maybe they are too neutral for me? In my old age maybe I want more bass? I also tried the Skullcandy Navigator and those were very comfy but one ear cup wasn't working so that deterred me and I couldn't get a good idea of sound.

I'd like to stay around $200 and I have found a few local deals on the P3 for $150. I know a lot of people compare them to the VModa M80 but I haven't read much on comfort and those look a little more obtrusive and I am concerned about the oval pads for extended periods.

I would also like to take suggestions on the most comfortable IEM ever. I have TF10s but I can't seem to wear them for extended periods even with complies. I bought the Radians ear plugs to test out but that can be annoying taking out molds when someone comes to my desk. I am currently using Yuin PK3s and just received the DIY ones from ebay. I love the sound signature of these if that helps but they too hurt my ears after a while, maybe I have small ear holes? I am curious about the PAA-1 Pros as well but I assume I'll have the same issue with size.

So yeah that was a lot to read. Thanks to anyone who has read and hopefully I can get a few ideas.

Currently I own a lot of budget-fi: CX300, IM716, PK3, PX100, KSC75, KSC35, Sporta & Porta, SF5 Pro, TF10 Pro, K240S, A130, MDRV6, NE7M, SR225, MS1, Razer M100Pro

Closed - the M80s are basically a less exaggerated-sounding P5, less warmth and muckiness. Don't know about the impressions on the P3 though. The V-Modas are probably one of the most hassle-free in terms of fit at this price, they don't really clamp that much and the pads are plentiful but sometimes feels like a lot of air's compressed in them, and they can be a bit sweating after a while. But comfort overall is still good.

Most comfortable IEM - IMO the PFEs take the cake on this. Impossibly small, can't even feel them in your ears.

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #2,618 of 5,364
Quote:

They don't isolate, completely open, and the earpad design doesn't help. 

Not many other portable Senns that compare as well. Any AKGs there? (K518, 450 do quite nice, ask inline about the latter especially since he has them)

found some AKGs, not sure if i trust the site though, here are the AKGs that are available http://bajaao.com/shop/result.html?keyword=AKG+headphones&limit=20&limitstart=0 although the ones in my price range look kinda bulky pls check them out there are few audio-technicas  (sj33,RE70) and senn hd 220 as well

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #2,619 of 5,364
Quote:
  found some AKGs, not sure if i trust the site though, here are the AKGs that are available http://bajaao.com/shop/result.html?keyword=AKG+headphones&limit=20&limitstart=0 although the ones in my price range look kinda bulky pls check them out there are few audio-technicas  (sj33,RE70) and senn hd 220 as well

Yes, they seem to have a good line up, and I've at least seen one person mentioning them on here. The stuff there like the Q460 and the Portapros should be taken with heavy consideration, very portable, very nice sound. AT M30s (not a big fan of the SJ33) are decent as well, not as portable though.

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #2,622 of 5,364
Quote:
what is the best iem's for under $100

Comfort, isolation, preferred sound sig and musical genres? A bit too vague, but if you specify a bit more, we'd always be glad to help!

Quote:
The sony mdrv55, is their anything similar in sound for cheaper? It's about 90 bucks and I want to spend half of that.

It has to be foldable and be good to use with a iphone 5.

The cheapo consumer Sonys? They're not that special to begin with, but I remember a lot of flabby bass. 

To start out with, the K430 mentioned above have a similar sig, but good details and balance. Plenty of bass for portable use. Other foldable ones would be the PX100-II and the K518 (bassier k430).

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #2,623 of 5,364
amazon isn't working so i can't pull up a link.

I lost the jvc explosives and I need a replacement, I have the cheap iems that everyone loves from monoprice but the fit is just awful, what a crappy design.

I need to replace those with something with a case, any recommendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back