Buying Portable Headphones Under $150 AUD
Oct 20, 2014 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Subrising

Head-Fier
Hey guys. Today my Audio Technica ATH-ES7's finally gave way and the right audio driver no longer works. I am looking to purchase a new portable pair of headphones that would be Under $150 AUD posted that would suit the details below. I really liked the ES7's however a little bit more bass punch would have been nice. I will be using these mainly at University. On ears or over ear, it doesn't matter to me as long as they are portable.

Budget - Around $150 AUD ($134 USD) including Postage. 

Source - Desktop Computer (Asus Xonar DGX Sound Card) + Phone + Laptop. Mainly phone and laptop use though at Uni.

Requirements for Isolation - Good isolation would be preferred however not absolutely necessary and probably won't happen with portable headphones.

Preferred Type of Headphone - Full-sized headphones

Preferred tonal balance - I do not think I am a full on basshead but I do love good bass immersion and punch. I also like vocal clarity on things like vocal trance and house music. I think I like a slight V-shape sound which is similar to my current ATH-ES7's but maybe with a bit more punch.

Past headphones - I own a pair of ATH-ES7's and I love them. The only problem I have is that they hurt my ears after awhile if used for a long period of time. I've also borrowed my friend's ATH-M50's for a few days and whilst I think they are good I'm not sure if they are worth the $140 AUD it costs for me here and if there is anything else better nowadays.

Preferred Music - House/Vocal Trance/Trance/EDM/Rock/Pop/Instrumentals (Soundtrack OSTs and things like Two Steps From Hell and Hans Zimmer)..

Location - Australia and in an area where I really cannot trial or demo any headphones other than Sennheisers which is frustrating as they are almost all overpriced here.

Any help would be fantastic as I would like to purchase them as soon as possible to get them in time for Christmas.

If anyone could guide me in a direction that could possibly help please don't be afraid to post as I welcome all opinions and information.

I've been looking at the Logitech UE 6000's and V-Moda M80's so far.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back