Buying Nomad Zen Xtra 30GB
Feb 13, 2004 at 9:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ricola_pak

100+ Head-Fier
Hi.
I've searched through this forum many times and read numerous reviews of the Nomad Zen Xtra.

I am planning on buying it soon, in fact, very soon.

My biggest question is: CAN I GO WRONG?

I am sure there'd be people who'd argue iPod sounds better or iRiver has better accessories etc etc etc, but except for its relatively bigger size, there is nothing that is actually NEGATIVE about the Xtra, affirmative?

ps - In the Karma, iPod and Xtra, which one has the most power to drive headphones?

Feb 13, 2004 at 4:01 PM Post #2 of 14
*All* the major players have pros and cons. I don't think you can go wrong with the iPod, iRiver, Xtra or Karma (and there are probably more which are just as good). It all depends on what features are important to you (price, sound, size, looks). I recently bought a Zen Xtra 30gb and I love it to pieces. Every penny was well spent. Now I just need some decent headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2004 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 14
The Zen Xtra is not as trendy looking as the Ipod or as feature rich as the iHP, but it's a great player with lots of storage space, removable battery and of course outstanding sound. It should be able to drive most headphones just fine.

Go to NOMADNESS to read just how much people love their zen.

biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2004 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 14
I own an Xtra 30GB, and I can say you won't go wrong. Comparisons can undermine your confidence, but the simple truth is that the Zen, like the iPod are great players, and won't disapoint. I have *zero* regrets with mine. They are even more terrific with my new SR-80s.

Feb 15, 2004 at 7:14 AM Post #6 of 14
I hear that there are problems with creating playlists on the Xtra. Is that true?

Like how you can't, on your playlists, move a song from a album to another album?

Please elaborate, anyone?

Feb 15, 2004 at 8:17 AM Post #7 of 14
ricola, the Nomad OS offers some of the best playstlisting capabilities of any player on the market. download the product manual and see for yourself. shuold be posted on amazon

Feb 15, 2004 at 2:22 PM Post #9 of 14
Hey,

I was thinking about getting a zen xtra also and have a few questions myself.

1)Does it fit comfortably in jean pockets?

2)Does it have a line in/out?

Feb 15, 2004 at 3:58 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Krishna
Hey,

I was thinking about getting a zen xtra also and have a few questions myself.

1)Does it fit comfortably in jean pockets?

2)Does it have a line in/out?

1. I have no problem with it in my pocket.

2. No line out jack

Feb 16, 2004 at 2:04 AM Post #12 of 14
About the only thing I am sorry to have seen dropped is the wired remote. If that is important to you the original Zen had it I think. I have a JB3 (love my remote for my kit) and am thinking about a Zen as my harddrive is full and I want, no make that NEED, to carry more tunes. I am too chicken**** to install a larger harddrive in a machine that is working perfectly. I won't even upgrade the firmware, though.

I would also like to see no line out on an MP3 declared a felony offence.

Feb 17, 2004 at 9:48 PM Post #13 of 14
Had my Zen 30Gb Xtra for a couple of months now and absolutely love it! Just took it for it's first international trip, battery life great, sonics superb, plenty of gain, very happy. I've read about some having hardware problems on CNET but I baby this thing and don't bang it around. So far so good. As you'll probably find elsewhere the software isn't exactly intuitive but does an OK job once you get used to it.

Feb 17, 2004 at 9:55 PM Post #14 of 14
I had the Zen NX for about a week and I loved the sound quality but it had no wow factor and I dont mind sacrificing a bit of function for form so I got an iPod.

The sound quality is nowhere near as good but its small and sexy!

My point is, no, you cant go wrong with the Xtra - its a great bit of kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back