Buying new, Spouse says "too loud"
Jul 13, 2015 at 10:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

eduncan911

New Head-Fier
So I went searching for my "gamer headset" a few years ago after going through 5 complete highend (well, $250-$350) sets and bluetooth crap to finally settle on the Astro A40s.  Partially because of sound was decent, bassy, but decent.  But mostly because of the awesome Astro 5.4 Ghz Mixamp!  I've liked this so much for my other headphones that I bought 3!  Two in use and one spare with multiple receivers!  The spouse, child and myself all share the same movie!

So onto my problem... The A40s, with their open-end backing which sounds awesome, is far too loud.  You can hear it downstairs, in different rooms, etc.  I didn't know this until I had someone on the train tell me it was too loud.  Shocked, as I didn't know anyone could hear it, I asked could they really hear it - and that's when 1/2 the train car said "Yes!"

Yes. Seriously.

I am on the hunt for my next pair of headphones.  And I have one primary objective: Silent, to the outside world.

I read the excellent review here: http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

But, it didn't address my concern to outside ambient sounds other people will hear.

Help me choose which should be the most isolated from the outside world.  I am guessing "closed" backings are the way to go here.  But which ones?

I understand this is a broad question, as most don't put their headphones on someone else, turn it up loud, and stand back to see just how quiet it is (has anyone ever?).

I was going with Sennheiser as the name brand; but, after reading that guide above I see there are many other options.

Price range is up to around $350 or so.  

Additional features such as inline mic is a bonus.  Only really looking for wired headsets.

Here's the list of Sennheiser's I was thinking, in order:

* MOMENTUM I Ivory (M2)
* URBANITE XL
* PXC 450 <- this seems like paying for noise-cancelling.
* HD 380 PRO <- found one review that said you could not hear these if someone was wearing it.

Thanks in advance!

Jul 15, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #3 of 8
AKG K550 and K553 have very big soundstage for closed headphones. I think you would enjoy them
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

Do you know how well the drivers are isolated from leaking into the surrounding ambient area?  E.g., can other people hear what you hear?

Jul 15, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks!

Do you know how well the drivers are isolated from leaking into the surrounding ambient area?  E.g., can other people hear what you hear?

Sorry. Have never tested that. But you could ask here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/613707/the-akg-k550-impressions-and-discussion-thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/760386/new-release-the-akg-k553-pro-featuring-a-killer-massdrop-deal

Jul 15, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #5 of 8
Gel earpads can seriously enhance your isolation and therefore reduce the sound leakage -- provided you are using closed-back headphones! A specific type of gel earpads are used for aviation so they should be able to isolate a lot better than standard (p)leather and velours earpads. Here's a link to a set of David Clark earpads I have ordered today to improve isolation/leakage on the ATH-M50s that I own. I should get them on Friday if all goes well, I can give you an update.  

Jul 15, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #6 of 8
  Gel earpads can seriously enhance your isolation and therefore reduce the sound leakage -- provided you are using closed-back headphones! A specific type of gel earpads are used for aviation so they should be able to isolate a lot better than standard (p)leather and velours earpads. Here's a link to a set of David Clark earpads I have ordered today to improve isolation/leakage on the ATH-M50s that I own. I should get them on Friday if all goes well, I can give you an update.  

Thank you!  And yes, please let us know.

-E

Jul 17, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #7 of 8
Alright, so I received them today. First of, they're difficult to fit onto the M50s the first time and they lack cloth to cover the driver. Comfort has gone up, soundstage seems wider with these compared to the stock earpads. Isolation has improved slighly as has bass response. I evaluated the change in isolation by some pseudo-scientific testing. I held the cups of the headphones together and put them to my ear and cranked up the volume on my reference song until I could hear something. With stock pads this was 20/60 on low gain with an E17K and with the gel pads this went up to 24/60 (a 20% increase in isolation). As further reference, 20/60 is my normal listening level, highest I would find comfortable listening to, shortly might I add, would be 35/60 and there's a lot of ringing at this volume. I'm not sure if this is the huge gain in isolation you want, but I suppose any bit can help.

Left: stock padding, right: David Clark gel earpads.

Now as to recommend any closed back headphones in the sub $350 category - no idea. If you're willing to stretch to $400 however, the Oppo PM-3 seems to be generating quite a buzz lately (I would buy them, but over here they go for €530). The PM-3 doesn't need additional amplification and comes with either Android/Windows or iOS inline controls and microphone. Reviews have been positive on Head-Fi and elsewhere

Of course, you can always look into this list of in-ear monitors (just sort by isolation) provided that you're OK with the specific sound presentation of IEMs. They're going to isolate much better than any full sized headphone might do -- provided you use tips that fit. In the universal segment Etymotic (with triflange tips; probably not comfortable) and Shure (with Olive tips) are known to isolate really well. You could go into custom IEMs, but that might be stretching your budget, furthermore it can be quite a long process and wait to acquire them.    

Jul 17, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for the review!

I've had some highend UE IEMs and while very excellent, it was quite troublesome to keep them sealed and wires that wrapped around my ears kept breaking but the real kicker was I'd forget I'd have them in and roll over while napping - ouch.

Over-the-ears I've been happy with over the years.  

You mention the PM-3s do well with windows/android/ios devices.  Humm, i thought the Sennheiser's I listed were as well (they all come with mic/controls, and I can use the mic with my Windows tablet for Hangout/Skype calls).  

Someone else mentioned the K553 and I have been researching them.  So far, those are the top runners in my list but I'll start researching the PM-3s as those have come up a few times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back