Buying new headphones! Seeking advice!
Jul 11, 2011 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

PensiveCub

New Head-Fier
Hello. I am new. Found this site while searching for any advice on high end headphones.

I am looking for over ear or on ear headphones that have a great sound quality for a decent price. $50-$200 range. Prefer something more for consumers than professions. Relatively good portability would be pretty nice. I have looked and looked and honestly am feeling overwhelmed.

I don't care about brand name or fashion. Just something that works and works well.
Also I snowboard and that is a big part of the reason I want some. Be nice to have them over my beanie. :)

I appreciate any help I can get. Looked at Ultrasone HFI-580. Those look very nice and within my price range. I worry though that they are more for professionals than consumers. I am very tempted for skullcandy but because I know literally nothin about high end specs I don't really know what I'm looking for.

Jul 11, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #2 of 10
ATH-M50

amazingly popular for starters, a lot of people start out with these.
don't need an amp, watch this, most headphones need an amp.
$150
Great sound, great comfort and great build

The HFI-580 are good also, but the bass is too overloading and they need an amp to sound right. Others can go without an amp, but vs. the M50 without an amp, there isn't a fight. M50's win out for starter cans.

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #3 of 10
Are you sure about that BotByte?  I've read from posters who prefer the HFi-580 over the the M50 unamped.  PensiveCub, Ultrasone's HFi-line is in fact designed for consumer and or audiophile use, so the HFi-580 would work very well for ya.  Here are a few additional options for ya:

Denon AH-D1100

Sennheiser HD438

Shure SRH440

Ultrasone HFi-780

Jul 11, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #5 of 10
i was looking for good headphones too and i settled on the sennheiser hd 25-1-ii adidas version. they look amazing and, from what ive heard, sound amazing also. sorry, but i cant comment on their sound because they arrive in a week

Jul 11, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #6 of 10
Thanks everyone. Those are some awesome looking cans. I am leaning toward the Ultrasone HFI-780. They have some of the PRO models that are wireless which look very nice. I'd love a pair of wireless but not a deal breaker

What kind of store could I get my hands on some and get a feel for them? Guitar Center perhaps?

Jul 11, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
What kind of store could I get my hands on some and get a feel for them? Guitar Center perhaps?

Yep, most of the guys on the US go to guitar center. Where are you located btw? 

Jul 11, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:

Yep, most of the guys on the US go to guitar center. Where are you located btw? 

Alright. sounds good enough to me. :D I am in Denver, CO.  There are a few small music stores ill likely look at too, see what i can find.  I'd rather take my time choosing and find the right pair than rush and regret the purchase...Despite the fact that im just DYING to have some good ones like a month ago. lol

Jul 11, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
and another question i guess to go with this. what is the difference between Closed-back and Open-back? Is it something that i really need to consider? How important is that?

Sound signatures are different, closed back headphones offer better isolation than open back hp's...open back have better soundstage.  Which to choose? it comes to a personal preference. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back