Buying new headphones for computer use
Oct 27, 2002 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

HappyCow

New Head-Fier
My HD 570 started to glitch like a month ago so I have to buy new headphones.

I will use them almost only for the computer. I was thinking of HD 600. I don't have a lot of money right now but I am planning to buy an amp later. Meanwhile I will use the digital coaxial out from my soundcard and plug it into my reciever and use the reciever as an amp (I believe that is better than connecting the phones directly to the soundcard).

Which is the best way to connect your headphones to your computer?

Are there any headphoneamps with coaxial in?

Any suggestions about other headphones for computer use?

Oct 28, 2002 at 5:58 PM Post #5 of 10
HD600 sounds quite sensible. They aren't that hard to drive to an acceptable level - a good receiver should power them adequately, although an amp would definitely improve matters. Also, considered something like the SR225?

I love a1leyez0nm3's suggestions - they keep me entertained for hours...

Oct 28, 2002 at 6:40 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
Also, considered something like the SR225?
B]

Nope, I havent. They good? It says on headphone.com that
"Some people say they're a bit uncomfortable; we think they're just fine if you bend the headband around."

Do they press in your ears? I hate it when phones press in your ears because it is so damn uncomfortable. On LANs you sit there for like 12-13 hours straight, and then you need _comfortable_ headphones =).

Oct 28, 2002 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 10
I like the HD570 better than the HD600 for gaming. HD600 is not as comfortable, and its slightly better frequency response and details do not make up for the loss in comfort and convenience. Out of all the headphones I own or have owned (click my profile to see list) HD570 is my first choice for gaming. By gaming I'm talking about 5+ hour sessions of competetive (i.e. clan ladder play) Unreal Tournament. So my suggestion is to have your HD570 repaired unless most of your computer use is for music, in which case I'd buy the HD580 for music and get the HD570 repaired for gaming.

I plug them into a portable DIY amp I made (cost $30 in parts) and the amp drives them much better than straight from the soundcard. A receiver would work fine too but you can't bring it as easily to a LAN party.
smily_headphones1.gif
Search for META42, Altoids, 47, cmoy, and JMT for discussions about amps similar to the one I built.

Oct 28, 2002 at 8:22 PM Post #8 of 10
OK! Where are you supposed to repair your headphones then? Sennheiser isnt replying on my mail but I think I'll try them again.
There isn't anything you can do on your own? =)

30$ for a little amp, that's something =).

Oct 29, 2002 at 7:46 PM Post #9 of 10
I finally made contact... with Sennheiser and they said that it would cost me like 40$ just to have a technician look at it. Then he'd say what the problem was and how much more it would cost to fix it.

I also could leave the phones by them and let them re-use the parts that aren't damaged. Then I wouldn't have to pay anything.

Sennheiser gives a 2 year garantee and if that one hasn't ended they would fix my phones for free.

Lucky for me my HD 570 is only a year old, so I'll visit Sennheiser tomorrow. Then I'll look into building that 30$ amp..

Thanks guys!

Oct 31, 2002 at 12:14 AM Post #10 of 10
I visited Sennheiser today and it took like 1 minute. It turns out that it was my cable that glitched. So I bought a new cable for 9$.

And of course I meant warranty... not garantee =).

Cables are not included in the warranty since they are treated like "consumer goods".

So check your cables !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back