Buying new headphones and earphones
Nov 23, 2016 at 1:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

matan124

New Head-Fier
Hey, last year you guys suggested me to buy the oppo pm3 and I was very pleased. Black Friday is comeing and I would like to upgrade to something better and this time I'm not looking for portable headphones.
I prefer closed back headphones but if it really lowers the quality then suggest open back.
i don't have an amp, will it make the oppo sound better? If so should I just get a good amp with my budget?

Note: I already got the oppo pm3 so I would like something better and I really like a good bass

Budget: ~450$ (including buying an amp if needed, can go little higher)

Music type: rock, metal and quiet songs like Lana del ray and Nora jones

Tal;dr - high quality headphones that are better then the oppo pm3 + amp ~450$

Black Friday is comeing so you can suggest better headphones on sale

Other the that I also need earphones for running ~60$

Thx a lot :)

Nov 23, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #3 of 9
Since you have good closed headphones, I'd go for something open.

Hifiman HE400i's are on sale for $250 right now

http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/headphones/he-400i.html

Sennheiser HD600's are another option

https://smile.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Open-Back-Professional-Headphone/dp/B00004SY4H

In terms of an amp, are you looking for a desktop set-up, or something portable?

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #4 of 9
Since you have good closed headphones, I'd go for something open.

Hifiman HE400i's are on sale for $250 right now

http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/headphones/he-400i.html

Sennheiser HD600's are another option

https://smile.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Open-Back-Professional-Headphone/dp/B00004SY4H

In terms of an amp, are you looking for a desktop set-up, or something portable?

I'm looking for a desktop set-up
Will theHE400 sound better or different from the oppo?
About the sennheiser HD600- I heard that it is better with classic music and less with bassy songs. I mostly listen to music with a lot of bass so will it be right chose for me? And do I need to buy an analog for them too?
Thx

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #5 of 9
Considering your listening preference you might be better off with AudioQuest Nighthawk's. They don't need a lot of power, but you may want to pick up an inexpensive DAC/AMP like something from Fiio or SMSL

Nov 23, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #6 of 9
  Considering your listening preference you might be better off with AudioQuest Nighthawk's. They don't need a lot of power, but you may want to pick up an inexpensive DAC/AMP like something from Fiio or SMSL

I checked the cost including shipping-  the he400i cost 267$ and the nighthawk's cost 456$ so i think the he400i would be better for me, or do you have another recommendation?
Before buying i want to know if the he400i is better then the oppo pm3 or sound different because it would be a waste if its similar to the oppo.
Also which amp/dac should i buy? i dont know anything about amps so can you suggest me something specific? i will use it for the oppo as well

Nov 23, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #7 of 9
  I checked the cost including shipping-  the he400i cost 267$ and the nighthawk's cost 456$ so i think the he400i would be better for me, or do you have another recommendation?
Before buying i want to know if the he400i is better then the oppo pm3 or sound different because it would be a waste if its similar to the oppo.
Also which amp/dac should i buy? i dont know anything about amps so can you suggest me something specific? i will use it for the oppo as well

My impression is that the HE400i has the wider soundstage and more detail and energy in the treble region. I'd say a bit less bass quantity than the Oppo's, but a bit more detail. I think they are a step up from the Oppo's. How much of a step? Honestly you might be better off saving up for a more significant upgrade or go with something with a very different sound signature. You might consider the Philips Fidelio X2 instead of the Hifiman, they're great for bassy music and will offer a bigger change of pace from the Oppo's

In terms of a DAC/AMP, I assume your computer is your source? Something like the SMSL SD793-II or the Micca Origen would probably be good

Nov 25, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #8 of 9
My impression is that the HE400i has the wider soundstage and more detail and energy in the treble region. I'd say a bit less bass quantity than the Oppo's, but a bit more detail. I think they are a step up from the Oppo's. How much of a step? Honestly you might be better off saving up for a more significant upgrade or go with something with a very different sound signature. You might consider the Philips Fidelio X2 instead of the Hifiman, they're great for bassy music and will offer a bigger change of pace from the Oppo's

In terms of a DAC/AMP, I assume your computer is your source? Something like the SMSL SD793-II or the Micca Origen would probably be good

Eventually there was a discount on the nighthawk so I bought it. Which amp/Dac Is good with the nighthawk but also with the oppo pm3? I'm thinking about the oppo ha2 since it's portable and the nighthawk doesn't have high impedance so it could driven them too
And sorry for changing my mind so many times :p

Nov 25, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #9 of 9
Eventually there was a discount on the nighthawk so I bought it. Which amp/Dac Is good with the nighthawk but also with the oppo pm3? I'm thinking about the oppo ha2 since it's portable and the nighthawk doesn't have high impedance so it could driven them too
And sorry for changing my mind so many times
tongue.gif

Glad you were able to get the Nighthawk. The Oppo HA2 would be a good buy, I think it will pair well with both

Users who are viewing this thread

Back