Buying new headphones and a soundcard/amp for my laptop
Dec 6, 2011 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

pigdog

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting a new pair of headphones for my laptop. It's come down to either the Shure SRH 840s or the SRH 940s. They won't be getting used for much outside of music playback (mainly electronic) for entertainment purposes so from what I've read the 840s may be best suited for me with their less neurtal, veiled sound as opposed to the more monitor-like, flat 940s.

As the onboard sound on my laptop won't do either of these headphones justice I'm also in the market for either an external USB soundcard or some sort of headphone amp configuration (I'm not very well versed in the use of amps so I'll need some guidance here.) From my small bit of research I've come across the Creative X-FI HD USB soundcard (http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/pc-components/sound-cards/creative-x-fi-hd-913944/review) Would this be a decent choice for my needs or would I be better off getting an amp? I'm presuming with an amp I'd still need some sort of external soundcard?

I'm open to ideas here so feel free to suggest anything. The Creative soundcard is about €80 so I'd be hoping to spend around that if I was to get something else.

I suppose it may be worth noting that I already have a pair of Shure SRH 750DJs, so if anyone has compared these to either the 840s or 940s I'd appreciate some advice.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back