Buying my first cans (beyer dt990 pro) - Questions regarding tube vs solid state amps and the necessity of a DAC
Jul 1, 2014 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

awsny

New Head-Fier
I've been looking into higher quality headphones for a little while, after some research I am seriously considering buying the Beyerdynamic DT 990 pro (250 ohm). I know that I will need to buy an amp to go with it, but really don't want to spend much more than $100. From what I can tell, the dt900's need a fair bit of power to sound great, and other users on this forum have said that the fiio e6 or e7 won't cut it. I have been looking into the fiio e07k (was looking at the e11, but it seems to be roughly the same amp but without the dac - if the dac isn't as necessary I would consider the e11), and was wondering if you guys think that it would be a good amp to go along with the dt990s. I've also heard that dt990s sound especially good with tube amps, but from what I can tell the cheapest tubes (bravo ocean, schiit vali) are slightly more expensive than $100 and don't include a DAC. I would appreciate your advice regarding the following questions:

1. Do you think that the fiio e07k is a good amp to start with for these cans?

2. How necessary is it that I purchase a DAC? I would most likely be running audio out of my HTC One M8, which I hear has a quality dac compared to other phones. (not sure if that's saying much, though)

3. Do you think that a tube amp such as the schiit vali would provide a significantly better listening experience than the e07k's? If so, do you think that this increase in quality would offset the fact that I wouldn't be using an external DAC?

(Also, I realize that the e07k is portable while the tube amps are not. While I would prefer a portable amp for sake of convenience, I plan on using these headphones at home most of the time, so this isn't really an issue.)

Thanks in advance guys, and I apologize if this has been posted in the wrong place.

Jul 4, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #2 of 2
Okay, I didn't realize that most DACs wont't work with my phone. Also I think I'm going to get the dt880's now instead, with either an fiio e11 or JDS Labs Cmoy. Then later on I could pick up a desktop DAC such as the schiit modi, since I imagine it would sound much better than the e07k.

Any comments on these two portable amps, and how well they would perform with beyer 880 pro 250 ohm headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back