Buying music by location
Nov 4, 2004 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

pcolbeck

100+ Head-Fier
Hi

I just got back from a short brake in Prague with my wife and some friends. Whilst their I decided to buy a few CDs and chose them by the fact that they were all connected to Prague or the Czech Republic in some way. Has anyone else tried buying music purley on the basis of their location and if so did they find anything that good that was new to them ? I ended up buying three CDs all featuring Magdelena Kozenza (as she is Czech) who I had heard of but didn't have any of her stuff. I got:

Love Songs - Dvorak, Janacek, Martinu
All Czech composers so a double dose of Czechness ! I really didn'y know any Dvorak bar the New World Symphony and the slavc dances. I have never heard any Janacek or Martinu. This has turned out to be quite a good CD with some really pretty songs on it.

Le Belle Immagini - Songs by Mozart, Gluck, Mysilvecek - The Prague Philharmonia
I haven't listened to this yet. I'm not a Mozart fan but perhaps I just haven't tried hard enough yet ... Never heard anything by Gluck or Mysilvecek (in fact I have never heard Mysilvecek).

Bach Arias - A sellection of Arias - Musica Florea
A Czech orchestra I think, anyway it's impossible to have too much Bach. Some really good singing an playing here. As Karl Sagan commented when it was suggested that the Gold disc on the Voyager spacecraft should have some Bach included on it for possible alians to hear - "that would just be showing off ......"

Pat - slowly recovering from three days of drinking two much excellent Czech beer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back