buying metal lps
Dec 16, 2009 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

keanej6

500+ Head-Fier
hey so where do you guys buy your metal/hardcore/etc lps? i guess i'll start listing the good/bad places i've had experience with.

stores (so cal):
amoeba: no introduction needed. huge lp section. decent metal lp section/selection.

second spin:the one by my house just started carrying/buying lps. they don't listen to their used copies so its hit and miss with them. they're cheap though and i got lucky with a really good quality copy of supertramp's "breakfast in america". not so much metal.

online:
20 buck spin: awesome doom label. their selection isn't really big but sometimes they offer like package deals which are really good. they also always throw in a bunch of extras like posters/stickers/etc.

southern lord: they release a lot of really good stuff but i usually purchase their releases from other places because they tend to be pricey.

the end records (omega mailorder):big big selection but they're kind of pricey too. they are also really fast with their delivery for some reason.

robotic empire: huge selection of punk/crust/tech/metal. they also offer deals all the time and their prices are really good.

kreation records: huge selection from like classic metal to obscure hard to find metal. but they are really unreasonable with the prices imo.

temporary residence: they're not metal but i love grails/tarantel/eits/the drift and i think their lps are pretty cheap.

insound: sucks. really expensive. and the 'new' lp i received from them was beat up pretty bad. not to mention a weak metal selection, but they focus on everything.

i can't think of anything else atm....i know most of the online distributors i listed are really just branches of record labels which is why i'm asking for just distributors with a huge selection of new vinyl. if i can remember some more i'll throw them up.

Dec 16, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #5 of 13
Awesome thread is awesome, thanks for this guys! Will keep my eye out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 17, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #9 of 13
oh yea i forgot about hydra head. i wish they'd re-release their earlier stuff on vinyl.

also, moribund is ok... they're more into like obscure kult black metal.

Dec 17, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #11 of 13
Nuclear War Now! Productions

I havent bought much new vinyl in the past few years, but this label releases some great stuff and has a good stock of underground bands from the past- atomic aggressor, death yell... if you like death/black metal stuff this is a good place.

http://www.redstream.org/

This place is also reputable. Has tons and tons of stuff. Both of these places are trustworthy with your money.

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #12 of 13
Jan 12, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #13 of 13
I usually look on amazon, but I used to work at a FYE and I was able to order a butt load of vinyl while I was there. If you have one near you check and see if they have any. If they don't try asking the manager if they would get some for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back