Buying in NYC
Mar 30, 2006 at 3:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

stolencar

New Head-Fier
I'm taking a mini-vacation in New York next week & I'm thinking of picking up some new Shures. Are there some shops in New York I should check out (Manhatten)?

[I'm looking for real stores as opposed to virtual ones as I live in Canada and shipping/customs costs quickly get outta hand.]

Mar 30, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #3 of 12
I second BH. It is quite an amazing place, especially if you like high end dSLRs.

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 12
J&R Music World in Lower Manhattan is also a good bet, but their prices tend to vary above and below the norm on a lot of items.

rolleyes.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by GSTom1
J&R Music World in Lower Manhattan is also a good bet, but their prices tend to vary above and below the norm on a lot of items.

rolleyes.gif

If you actually want to try on headphones and listen to them out of decent systems, BH and J&R both bite the big one. Sound by Singer on 14th will let you try on Grados, but I'm not too sure about places to try other types of headphones.

Though I guess with Shures, you can't really try them on anyway...

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #6 of 12
Many times when J&R are below the norm, it's because the items are grey market. Check to make sure they are an authorized dealer for whatever you're buying, and if the manufacturer will honor the warranty with a J&R receipt.

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by roybatty
Many times when J&R are below the norm, it's because the items are grey market. Check to make sure they are an authorized dealer for whatever you're buying, and if the manufacturer will honor the warranty with a J&R receipt.

Really? That seems pretty strange to me. I know they're an authorized Sennheiser dealer... what grey market goods are you aware of there, headphone wise?

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #8 of 12
Call in advance to confirm the price you're going to get. They may or may not be at the lowest market price.

Don't forget if the aren't the lowest, you can always have an online retailer deliver to whereever you're staying in NYC.

Best,

-Jason

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Never bought headphones there, but I know my video camera, DVX100A was grey market thru them - checked with the panasonic rep. I bought it at B & H instead.

Huh, very interesting. Well, the store IS kind of shady feeling.

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

B & H Photo Video is electronics heaven. Block out some good time and have a ball.

Right. Now that I think about it, we've bought camera equipment from them on-line. Will definately check them out.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Edit: Just checked out the location. Right across the street from our hotel!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back