Buying headphones whilst in Miami
Feb 25, 2004 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

steevc

Head-Fier
I'm over in Florida from the UK for a couple of weeks for work. With the strong pound and generally cheaper US goods it seems an ideal opportunity to do some shopping.

I want some 'phones to use mainly with my Palm Zire 71 for MP3/OGG. I may also use them on the work PC. The Sennheiser PX range looks ideal from a portability standpoint, but I'm also tempted by the Grado SR60 as they are so much cheaper over here.

I'm spending a lot of time on planes and trains at the moment, which seems to suggest the PX200 for a bit of isolation, but how bad would the others be at 'normal' volume? In the office I don't like to shut off outside noise totally so I'm aware of what's going on.

Are there any stores where I could buy either of these? I'm staying in South Beach and haven't found anything around there. Just lots of little shops that only seel Sony and Coby.

The only phones that get rated here that I've seen are the $18 KCS-50 in Best Buy. I'm tempted to get some of those as well.

I guess one option would be to check if Headroom or others will deliver to my hotel.

For the record I have an assortment of crappy headphones that I've acquired over the years. Some Sonys, JVC and those that came with my CD player.

Preferred music ranges through Bjork, Eels, Radiohead as well as assorted rock, classical and jazz.

Thanks

--
Steve

Feb 25, 2004 at 6:48 PM Post #3 of 9
I understand the 80s need an amp for portable devices. I'm not keen on carrying more kit than necessary.

I think the PX100 or 200 would best suit me. The Grados would be nice, but not as portable. I'd still like to hear them.

--
Steve

Feb 25, 2004 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 9
There are some good stores in Miami and surrounding area.

You have too look in the Yellow Pages of Southern Bell. Big thick telephone book.

There is also "Brandsmart", a big superstore...sometimes they carry interestings stuff. Also, there is a store called "Sound Advice". Have not been to either store in a while. Expect to pay a nondiscount price at Sound Advice.

You can also order from Headroom and get their next day shipping. Next day shipping does not deliver on weekends.
Audio Advisor is also a good mail order firm, and they will ship next day too.

Feb 25, 2004 at 9:51 PM Post #5 of 9
Fredpb

I looked in the Yellow Pages, but it doesn't really tell you enough about the stores. I guess I should call them.

Funnily enough I first encountered Brandsmart when I saw thei ad in the Herald this morning.

Where are Sound Advice? A quick search on the on-line YP finds them on S Dixie and N Kendall.

Anything around Downtown? I was thinking of going over there at the weekend. I've seen a warning somewhere about agressive staff in Flagler St. Sounds a bit like Tottenham COurt Road in London.

Thanks for your help

--
Steve

Mar 1, 2004 at 10:30 PM Post #7 of 9
Do you have Paypal? You could always shop on the for sale forums and keep an eye out for what you are looking for.

Mar 1, 2004 at 11:27 PM Post #8 of 9
would the koss ksc35 also work for you? imo they are better than the px100 and MUCH better than the px200. and no headband -> keeps your hairdo alright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back