Buying headphones under $200?
Jan 15, 2012 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

DomMasta

New Head-Fier
I am currently looking to buy some new headphones. I don't really know if I want some open or closed ones, but the two pairs I found to be the best bang for the buck are the Sennheiser HD 518 and the Audio Technica M50s. Which pair would you recommend mostly for music??

Thanks

Jan 15, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 23

Quote:
I am currently looking to buy some new headphones. I don't really know if I want some open or closed ones, but the two pairs I found to be the best bang for the buck are the Sennheiser HD 518 and the Audio Technica M50s. Which pair would you recommend mostly for music??

Open headphones usually have more soundstage
Closed headphones more bass.

KRK KNS 8400 (closed) have good reviews and cost less then the Audio Technica ATH-M50s.

Jan 15, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #3 of 23

What kind of music? You'll get very different recommendations for hip hop than you'll get for classical, I'd imagine. That said the k240Studio or k242mkII might be a good all 'rounder.
Quote:

Thanks

Jan 15, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #7 of 23
Not to hijack but I'm in the same boat and just about ready to pull the trigger on the M50's - seem like the best value to me all around. The only problem is I heard their soundstage is horrible and I would be gaming a lot with them.

Jan 15, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #8 of 23
i just got some m50s this week and they are very good all around headphones for $140 (thats what I got them for on amazon). they aren't super bassy so they are very good for all types of music. totally go for it man, m50s all the way

Jan 16, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #9 of 23

Quote:
Not to hijack but I'm in the same boat and just about ready to pull the trigger on the M50's - seem like the best value to me all around. The only problem is I heard their soundstage is horrible and I would be gaming a lot with them.

Consider the DT770 Pro 80 ohms by Beyerdynamic, they can usually be had online for ~160. Not as "well-rounded", but sensational for gaming due to comfort and soundstage/imaging.

Jan 16, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #11 of 23

Quote:
Beyer DT770 Pro 80-Ohm
Are they good for movies as well?

I liked the sound so much coming from my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm headphones I went out and got the 250-Ohm version.
The DT770 Pro 80-Ohm seem less demanding as they are only 80-Ohm and will work decently with out a headphone amplifier.
But, you really want to use them with a decent headphone amplifier to bring out their best.

Jan 16, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #13 of 23
Are they good for movies as well?

They will definitely give you a rich cinematic representation. And as others have mentioned they're OK through most standard plugs, but with proper amplification they get even sweeter.

Please keep in mind , once again, that the aforementioned cans aren't the best all-arounders, but for what you've provided I can assure you they'll perform quite admirably!

Note: they're built like a tank! That's a definite plus i'm my book. And they are arguably some of the comfiest cans ever.

Jan 16, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #14 of 23
Agreed on DT770-80s, they are quite good all-rounders (could be a bit of bass overwhelming for me, a non-basshead) and probably better than M50s in terms of ‘music compatibility’. Both of them are studio headphones with not much colouration but that does not mean they sound decent on all genres.

As for Rock and Jazz, if I don't mind open-back or closed, I would prefer Grado's engaging, open & warm sound, especially for the mids and bass.

Jan 16, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #15 of 23
I'm in exactly the same boat, the M50s seem very well suited to my music taste but everything I've read explains the soundstage is flawed. I would recommend buying a set of ATH AD700 second hand if you can, i picked up a set for £50 and they're practically brand new. AD700 + M50 got everything you need :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back