Buying headphones in Japan - Focused them into a few choices. Help choose please!
Oct 12, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #16 of 18

It sounds like you didn't read his last post. Grado's are open headphones, which would be completely useless in his "classroom scenario". Plus you said they sound terrible without EQ which the OP probably will not have on the go. 

DatGameh - go with your gut. It sounds like you have very specific needs in mind, and may have already made up your decision about the ANC9's. For me - a pair of closed headphones and some decent volume can drown out all but the loudest classroom environments. I would take the more pleasurable listening experience over the active noise cancelling any day. But to each his own. Audio is very subjective. Go with your gut until you find something you love, and something that works for your scenario. We're not going to be able to tell you that. 

Ah. I see.
Just go with what I think is best for me, huh.
Alright then. I guess audio was more subjective than I thought.
Very well then. I guess I will stick with the ANC9s, since they feel more useful to me. I also don't have that much experience with audio, so I might not really mind...
Thanks a bunch for all your help!

But, uh, if you don't mind, I have just one more question before I leave...
If a normal, closed back headphone had its sound quality scored 10/10, in comparison, how much will the active noise cancelling headphones score in your opinion?
Thanks, again!

Oct 12, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #17 of 18
  Ah. I see.
Just go with what I think is best for me, huh.
Alright then. I guess audio was more subjective than I thought.
Very well then. I guess I will stick with the ANC9s, since they feel more useful to me. I also don't have that much experience with audio, so I might not really mind...
Thanks a bunch for all your help!

But, uh, if you don't mind, I have just one more question before I leave...
If a normal, closed back headphone had its sound quality scored 10/10, in comparison, how much will the active noise cancelling headphones score in your opinion?
Thanks, again!

2/10. 

No seriously. I hate active noise cancelling. Again, this is sort-of subjective and you might feel differently. But do some research on active noise cancelling - you'll see that the technology is actually inserting additional sound waves into your audio to "cancel out" exterior noise. For a lot of people (like myself) this causes a serious degradation of the source audio, and makes me feel like there's a lot of pressure on my eardrums. It's unpleasant all around. 

It costs more to buy, takes more power and batteries to run, sounds worse, and in some cases can be uncomfortable or damaging. 

Oct 12, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #18 of 18

2/10. 

No seriously. I hate active noise cancelling. Again, this is sort-of subjective and you might feel differently. But do some research on active noise cancelling - you'll see that the technology is actually inserting additional sound waves into your audio to "cancel out" exterior noise. For a lot of people (like myself) this causes a serious degradation of the source audio, and makes me feel like there's a lot of pressure on my eardrums. It's unpleasant all around. 

It costs more to buy, takes more power and batteries to run, sounds worse, and in some cases can be uncomfortable or damaging. 

Oh. That bad, huh.

Well, a few months ago, I tried some Bose Quiet Comforts, and I didn't really have any claustrophobic issues or strain, so I guess I'll find this alright.
The ANC9s also have an option to work without noise cancelling (I heard that it also improves the midrange a little bit), so if I get tired, I could rest a bit, at least.

Alright then.
I guess that's all I'd like to ask from you.
Thanks for your help (again)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back