Buying headphones for electronic music mostly. budget 150-250€
Sep 17, 2014 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

danilolesnik

New Head-Fier
Hi!

Never had a good pair of headphones. I am not an audiophile. Just want quality sound. I will use them mostly directly on PC or iPhone (without amp at first, maybe later amp). Main genre would be electronic (Techno, minimal, deep house, trance, ambiental music). While other genres would not have been left behind too much (Reggae, Rap,...). I dont want bass to be over emphasized and rumbly, just about something like m100 is being described from reviews.

In my country, i dont have much choice in testing headphones, which is the main reason why im posting this now. First i was sure i am gonna buy HD25, but when i tested HD25 SP (i know they are cheaper model of classic ones) i knew those cans arent easy to drive, like directly from my android phone, volumes were quite low. And after that, i tried Ultrasone HFI 580. I would say warmer, more airy, more colored, less claustrophobic and less detailed/analytical as HD25 is something, that my ears likes more (not from comfort view though)

Now, i am looking at this headphones, which i can not test, but i would love to have one of them. I just dont know which would serve me best. Foldable, mobile and durable headphones would be great but not necssary. I love watching reviews from innerfidelity, u know, funny guy in hawaii shirt
darthsmile.gif

Those are my narrowed choices (from big size to small):
DT 770  32ohms (big, not mobile, not so durable probably)
V-MODA m100 ( expensive, comfort? )
NAD VISO HP50 (ugly=)
Ulrasone HFI 580 (cheap looking, no removable cable..)
Urbanite (probably XL)
Beats Solo2 (beats)
HD 25 1-II ("claustrophobic" sound style, amp almost needed)

Ultrasones are something that i liked very much on testing, yet i dint like comfort,  cheap build, vocals are described as un natural... Yet trance music sounded fantastic. i dont know, its more likely I will buy Sennheiser or Vmoda. Vmoda is something that gets very near to my taste ( by reviews ofc). But main problem about them isnt just price ( i can wait till they drop on 200e), but earpads, i am afraid they wont get comfy enough even with replacable XL  memory cushions. And the pads are hard to replace, so i am already afraid i will break something.

Enough of typing i hope my english is understandable and i didnt blablabla to much :)

TNX guys

One love, danil0

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #2 of 6
Funny thing is i didnt make good questions. Fact is i will have to find a compromise between those. I just want to hear opininos about good headphones for my genres. After ignoring IEMs for whole time of my research now im even considering buying some SHURE SE 215 for a start. Cause i think they would be great for mobility and durability

Sep 18, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #3 of 6
For your genres, the M100 actually does excel very well. It does have pretty emphasized bass and a v-shaped sound sig, but I enjoyed it. Would recommend getting the XL memory cushions with it for comfort. Earpads aren't that hard to replace.

The ATH-M50x is a great popular starter choice if you are on a budget $120-$160 USD. The AKG K545 ($250 USD) is another good choice if you are trying to maximize sound quality per dollar. Both of those look quite sexy heh

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #4 of 6
I don't know what to suggest. I always thought that the HFI-580s have good build quality. Not sure what could be a lot better than them.

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #5 of 6
I don't know what to suggest. I always thought that the HFI-580s have good build quality. Not sure what could be a lot better than them.

well the sennheiser momentum over-ear has significantly better build quality with real leather & very lightweight stainless steel construction. though the earcup diameter is more of an on-ear fit. the v-moda m100 has arguably better build quality has well. so there are options out there with improved build quality.

however, you are right. the hfi-580 is basically well-constructed plastic, which is basically the same as most headphones in this price range. 

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #6 of 6
I wasn't overly impressed with the M100s being that much better. The plastic on the Ultrasones is pretty tough stuff. But you are right about the Momentums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back