Buying first amp for HD650s - PPA ? Perreaux ?
Jul 22, 2004 at 9:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

davvy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi

Thanks to a few months hanging around Head-fi I have ended up buying an iRiver iHP140, etymotic ER4Ps, an EMU 1212m and Senn HD650s.

So now I need a decent headphone amp to finish things off. It will mainly be for the HD650s plus maybe I will get (or make) a P-S adaptor for the Etys and try them out with it as well. I live in New Zealand so I will probably wait and see what people say about the new Perreaux SXH-2 which is supposed to be coming out very shortly. The other option I am considering is a PPA.

A couple of questions:
1. Buying a 2nd hand PPA seems like it could be an option. But we are on 240v in NZ. It seems like PPAs run on 24v DC. So could I just buy a 2nd hand PPA (like this one for instance http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=79467) without the Elpac power supply and then get a 24v DC adaptor over here ? Do you need a high quality adaptor or will anything from the local electronics store do ?

2. Any opinions on whether to wait for the new Perreaux (these things have a habit of being delayed) or just get a PPA ? I don't want to wait too long as my HD650s are crying out for more juice.

Thanks in advance for any help/comments

Users who are viewing this thread

Back