Buying external hard drive...any suggestions?
Oct 5, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #31 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by taiyoyuden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regardless of the method you choose, I recommend Seagate drives for their five-year warranty.

I would advise against purchasing a Seagate drive, as their quality has sharply declined over the past few years. Check the user reviews on Newegg, or read the storage forums at tech sites like Anandtech or Hardocp for many cases of poor performance and premature failure. Personally, I only use Western Digital for mechanical drives. I can't speak for everyone (obviously), but I have never had any problems with them. They also have a 5-year warranty, so there really is no compelling reason to take a chance on a Seagate.

Oct 7, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadorne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might consider a RAID1 NAS drive like a LaCie 2BIG with two 1 TB drives - they are cheap - $480. Then you can share your music library over multiple computers and you are protected against HDD failure. You can even go wireless if you connect it to a wireless router.
L3000.gif

I despise LaCie drives, but I have a similar setup using a Buffalo Linkstation Quad 4TB ($579 on Amazon) in a RAID5. It's been stupendously reliable and easy to use. As long as you don't buy a drobo, all is well.

Oct 7, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #34 of 39
whats wrong with drobo?

and I have my baby aka my 2tb FLAC library on a lacie 2tb max is that dangerous?

Oct 7, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #35 of 39
Oct 7, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #36 of 39
whats the difference between the green and black?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurotetsu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went with a separate hard drive and enclosure for my backup drive. I grabbed a 1TB WD Caviar Green from ZipZoomFly:

WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar® Green WD10EADS 1TB SATA II 7200 RPM 32MB Buffer Hard Drive Bulk at ZipZoomfly

And got the enclosure from OWC:

OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro Quad Interface eS... (MEFW924AL1K) at OWC

The one I got was similar to that, but it has a more up-to-date controller and was cheaper.

Oct 7, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #38 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by chud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
whats the difference between the green and black?

The Green spins at a slower speed than the Black (5400RPM vs. 7200RPM) and uses less power. This means the Green should run a little cooler and is better suited for being in a not actively cooled enclosure.

Oct 7, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by kb1gra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I despise LaCie drives, but I have a similar setup using a Buffalo Linkstation Quad 4TB ($579 on Amazon) in a RAID5. It's been stupendously reliable and easy to use. As long as you don't buy a drobo, all is well.

I looked at Drobo. It looks overly complex. I have had LaCie drives fail on me before so I was hesistant but RAID1 should keep things simple - you can get a spare drive to hot swap and then you are set as long as the controller and power supply last!! (Not a given these days....)
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back