Buying everything used
Sep 5, 2015 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
So I have a friend who works at a flea market and everything he owns is used. He has even found stuff in the trash from nice neighborhoods to help furnish his house.

Everything from his wrist watch to his shoes and his clothes, it's all second hand and it's actually quality brand name stuff.

He does research and goes to estate sales where an elderly person has died and all the stuff found in the house is up for sale. In the 2nd hand market, there is an enormous amount of consumer stuff that in theory, there is no reason to buy anything new unless you are picky about certain items that you must have. But overall, high quality brand name stuff is pretty much available used.

I have to admit, I don't buy too much stuff used out of laziness and I do enjoy the shopping experience at the retail malls but if you're not picky, you can buy just about everything used and good quality.

Sep 6, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #2 of 15
This has a limit though.

We can't buy second-hand clothing for example for hygiene reason.
We can't buy second-hand razors for shaving etc.

Does anyone watch the show "Extreme Cheapskates"?
Of course, they are extremely thrifty (or miserly in a bad sense) to the extreme.

But yet again, with the rising cost of living and stagnant wages, people need to save money (to buy IEMs, opps
eek.gif
).

Sep 6, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #3 of 15
Well I think second hand clothes is ok. It's easy to buy it. I've even seen second hand underwear but personally I haven't tried it.

Sep 9, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #4 of 15
Most of my books, CDs, some of my audio equipment, DVDs are used.  But, if I buy for example the HD800 headphones that I own, used, I buy new ear pads & head pad.  I still save a lot of money compared to a new pair of HD800.  My two DACs, SACD player & vintage Fisher 500C are used.  If I didn't do that I couldn't afford those items brand new (except for the Fisher 500C which would be impossible as we all know.)  Another example is books.  Some of the books I've bought recently were selling for as low as .01 + $6.95 s&h (Young hearts crying / by Richard Yates, Hardcover, ex library book.)  Brand new it would cost me around $35.00 + taxes.  Makes no sense to me to buy it new.

Buying some items used/2nd hand only make sense to a person in my financial situation.  I'm not poor but I'm not rich either.

That's a very good, very interesting & informative topic Spareribs. Kudos.

Sep 9, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #5 of 15
Yeah consumer goods is so abundant that finding them used can be easy depending on what city you live in. My friend has a habit of visiting every thrift store, garage sale, curb side trash piles, estate sales and works at a flea market. It's amazing that everything he owns is high quality even though it's used. He even has picked up high end furniture too. I've seen in the past, people giving away TV sets on Craiglist because they were suddenly moving to another city.

He also sells used stuff at the flea market so if he no longer uses what he owns, he will sell it. I used to work next to a Thrift store and was impressed that a lot of clothes was in perfect condition. My theory is that guys get some nice clothes for Christmas but they don't like it and donate it to the thrift store. Or they buy a nice high end polo shirt hoping to lose weight but don't so they end up donating it as well.

Sep 9, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #6 of 15
I tend to buy most things new. The main exception is camera equipment, which since I like using classic cameras I can only buy used. I guess you could consider the expired film I buy on ebay "used" as well, even though it would have no value to me if it was actually used by someone.

I sometimes buy used furniture, but it would need to be something that "inspires" me somehow (for lack of a better word) and I always personally inspect it first.

Sep 9, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #7 of 15
One of my favorite used items is a small wooden table I found on the curb for trash disposal. It has an aged look to it and adds a bit of character to the room. It looks good. And it was free!

Sep 9, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #8 of 15
My family and I enjoy buying a lot of things used. My clothes (excepting my band shirts) are mostly used, nearly all my CDs are used, my bed, posters, furniture, and books are all used. I find no reason to spend 2-5 times more for things if you can find good items in good conditions for much cheaper. CDs I won't buy new unless it's a favorite or brand new. Plenty of people get rid of their old furniture for new things, even if that old furniture is like new; they're great items to pick up. I find it allows me to have good items while still holding onto a good amount of money.

Sep 10, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #9 of 15
From time to time I buy clothes on Ebay. Some items even if they are new with tags smell horribly as if they come from a second hand store. Sometimes I buy items which are used but in excellent condition.

Sep 10, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #10 of 15
Another nice used item I got at a thrift store was a Brooks Brothers navy blue blazer that looks good as a smart casual dinner jacket. It did have a little sweat marks in the neck area but after it was dry cleaned, it was perfect. It was only around $10. Great deal since these jackets cost over $200.

Sep 18, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #12 of 15
I don't buy any electronics used, including audio gear and CDs - it just doesn't feel right to me and as I handle all of my tech stuff (cellphones, amps, headphones, video gaming consoles, tablet and so on) with the most possible care (heck, I don't even place my stuff on hard ground to avoid scratches), so my gear always looks almost like new even after several years. Buying used stuff, I wouldn't know how the previous owner has handled his stuff, even if it looked like new.

No used electronics and hi-fi gear for me.

Sep 18, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #13 of 15
My stuffs are a mixed of new & used ones.

My Hugo, NT6 and W300 are used units, as was my Apex before I sold it. My 846, A12 though, were brand new purchases.

If one doesn't mind and is willing to perform checks upon receipt, used stuffs can be much cheaper than buying them brand new. This is useful for people on a tighter budget (me), 
beerchug.gif

Sep 18, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #14 of 15
My thick comforter blankets on my bed that I sleep with are used. The advantage is that they do feel extra soft since they already been washed several times by the previous owner and they feel extra comfortable. If I were into teddy bears, I wouldn't mind buying a used teddy bear too.

Sep 18, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #15 of 15
Ya, thrift shops are definitely worth looking in from time to time. Last time I snagged a new unworn Hugo Boss suit for 45 Euros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back