Buying Echo Indigo, Regular or DJ?
Jun 30, 2004 at 7:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

BaboonGuy

100+ Head-Fier
The DJ costs $50 more than the Regular. It's advantage is that it has a line-out, and a regular amped headphone input. The Regular just has two amped headphone inputs, no line-out. Right now I don't need the line-out as my phones (DT440) won't need anything more than the Indigo's amp. Later down the road I'll probably get some 595s with an amp, so I'd run it through the line-out on my DJ. Is the difference in sound quality (between running line-out w/amp to 595s OR amp going through regular non line-out Indigo headphone input with 595s) really worth $50 though when I do get the 595s?

Jun 30, 2004 at 12:55 PM Post #2 of 4
I have the same question: I'm using the regular Indigo in my laptop now, but my SR-71 amp arrives any day... Not sure if it's worth it to buy the DJ.

Who is using the DJ with a head amp? Any comments?

Jun 30, 2004 at 7:21 PM Post #3 of 4
I faced the same problem a week ago. I got the regular one. Why? My logic is that I bought the Echo Indigo for $100 and the DJ costs $160-170 at the places I looked at. If I get the Indigo for now and the Transit later when I get an amp, I also get a really good optical output if I want to attach a DAC later. That was just my thinking since I was comtemplating getting a DAC.

Jul 2, 2004 at 2:25 AM Post #4 of 4
Currently I'm using the regular Indigo. I got it only a few weeks ago and thought about returning it in order to get the Indigo dj because of the line-out. But before spending +60€ I did some research on the differencies of the reg. and the dj. The dj's line-out can not be regulated externally, but of course the output level can still be changed via software. But the main difference between the two versions is that the dj includes one more DAC, so that two independent sources can be played back through the card at the same time. This is exactly what a DJ needs it for and what for he will likely pay this 60€ more. What I doubt is that this card has a somewhat different set-up from the original version. It's just the additional DAC you pay for. Therefore I doubt that there will be any audible differencies. And that's exactly what the technician of a big music-equipment-store confirmed, although he had to admit that he doesn't exactly know the exact set-up of the two Indigos.
But as my assumption was seconded by someone who really has a much wider knowledge of the technical background I finally decided to keep the cheaper regular version and save the money for some fine CDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back